PDA

View Full Version : Trophies, Achievements, and Challenges

Von
08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I remember it being stated that there were going to be trophies, achievements
and challenges. Which means for console gamers there will be stuff like a
achievement or trophy for finding all the jumps in the game or do 5 or more
rampage mission or simply playing all the missions currently on the map.

I wonder how they make that up to the pc gamers. Give them rewards that
the console gamer won't get or let them have first crack at DLC in the future?

Kymer
08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Achievements on PC and consoles are very similar to each other as far as I know. They are displayed differently, but don't see how consoles will have achievements or other stuff that the PC version won't have.

Matt Treck
08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
There's no reason the PC version of the game wouldn't have the same achievements as the console versions. The only difference would be that the PC achievements are only linked to the Trion account (and programs like Steam if they choose to integrate it), and the console versions would be linked to the Trion and XBL/PSN account. In fact they don't even have to be linked to the XBL/PSN account, they could just be tracked on the Trion account.

Jenbuu
08-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Achievements in games now a days are really simple to do. not only are they account based but you can get individual character based ones.

its another way to make the game immersive, you have your altaholics but you have your achievement chasers too.

its hard to tell which way they will be going, we have something like 11days till games com i would expect a information bomb to be dropped there

Kalbuir
08-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Achievements in games now a days are really simple to do. not only are they account based but you can get individual character based ones.

its another way to make the game immersive, you have your altaholics but you have your achievement chasers too.

its hard to tell which way they will be going, we have something like 11days till games com i would expect a information bomb to be dropped there

*plants bomb, runs away*

On a serious note I am actually not a huge fan of achievements, the completist OCD person in me wants to get them all and is annoyed when some of them can't be completed or are more time investment hat I care about completing all the achievement. Don't get me wrong though not saying it shouldn't be in the game, I have friends who enjoy hunting down all the achievements greatly in for example Warhammer, RIFT and Guild Wars.

What I find most important that achievements are funny, important, monumental or puzzle like. I find it rather useless if I get an achievement after very first quest in the game or after completing a random quest unless it serves to teach the new player about the achievement system.

Sam
08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I really dislike achievements because to me it's like hand holding and tells people what to do. Then when you do it all the game feels empty. If they're is putting them on Xbox and PS3 I'd have to hope for 1000 1 point achievements.

Jenbuu
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I really dislike achievements because to me it's like hand holding and tells people what to do. Then when you do it all the game feels empty. If they're is putting them on Xbox and PS3 I'd have to hope for 1000 1 point achievements.

mmo achievements tend to be different then console achievements in a way for example

you get your standard complete on easy/medium hard etc which face it, its a mmo its not gonna have it.

then you get kill so many people with so many weapons etc.

but mmos are great that different achievements can help expand the game, example explore ever area in the game, now you can just get on a quad and drive round but people like me love the scenery etc would enjoy exploring

crafting systems can be good for achievements where as they may still be make x number of items or a combination of items you still have to go out and find the materials.

dungeon and raid achievements are good complete end game sort of things and collect items

there are so many different ways to implement a system

Necrullz
08-06-2012, 09:47 AM
In my opinion.. an 'achievement' signifies overcoming a great obstacle and being successful in a hard pursuit, and trophies are for being a winner (1st, 2nd or 3rd) and being better than every other competitor at something->therefore IF there is going to be trophies and/or achievements then they should be very few and far between, so that they y'know... mean something. For example, finishing an entire tier of a large quest tree, or winning a PvP competition or becoming a leader of some sort etc. Achievements should be given for something that you achieved and had to work for and not just because you have progressed past a certain quest or won a few matches or got to a certain level because then they are absolutely worthless.

Jut my $.02

Escyos
08-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Maybe certain player data (level, weapons etc) will be saved to your account and you can access it on any platform but certain things, like your clan, won't be. Each world would evolve together and as it is a persistent world you'd be missing events in any of them if not logged in.

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Achievements are pretty standard fare in online games these days, but they do add a certain amount of continued playability for those into that kind of thing :)