PDA

View Full Version : PC and Xbox, cross platform?

Muffinman
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey there! I have been following this game closely and I know that Defiance works cross platform. So a PC player can play with xbox 360 and playstation 3 players at the same time. The problem is that Microsoft will not allow the xbox 360 players to play in the same game as playstation players. So since Xbox and Windows are both Microsoft products, will this cross platform play be allowed between Xbox 360 and PC? I am curious because I have a few friends that own xboxs and I would love to play with them. Has anyone heard anything on whether xbox and PC will still be cross platform?
Thanks!

Escyos
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
As far as we know they all operate together. From a business stance, it seems fiscal to allow such a thing to take place, limiting a gaming community would only stagnate more purchases and thus get them less money.

Muffinman
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
As far as we know they all operate together. From a business stance, it seems fiscal to allow such a thing to take place, limiting a gaming community would only stagnate more purchases and thus get them less money.
Yea, that's what I thought until last week, when I read this http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/defiance-could-link-up-an-xbox-360-with-a-ps3-but-cant/ =(

Escyos
06-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Yea, that's what I thought until last week, when I read this http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/defiance-could-link-up-an-xbox-360-with-a-ps3-but-cant/ =(

"Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability." - Sounds like Microsoft wants things run their way. I doubt that Trion would go announcing that the game would be on all three consoles without first approaching these companies and getting permission.

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Maybe Xbox will have to have a seperate world if this is the case. Is this even possible?

Asaomar
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
From what was said at E3 on 6/4/2012, each platform pc/ps3/360 will have it's own set of servers and be separate from the others.

Shrapnil
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
This could possibly be a huge blessing to all 3 communities. Not so much Xbox to PS3 but PC to console. We are just to different in the gaming world to mingle well i think.

Asaomar
06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
This could possibly be a huge blessing to all 3 communities. Not so much Xbox to PS3 but PC to console. We are just to different in the gaming world to mingle well i think.

It worked fine on FFXI and still does, that game was all regions of the world, PC, 360, and PS2 all on same servers, all playing together.

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Will there be chat in-game? - How is that going to work? PS3 and Xbox wont have keyboards, most probably. PS3 players can't talk outside of games.. Will there be vent in-game or will there be separate chat features for all platforms?

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Nevermind. I see that they wont be all in one server. That's fine.

LQD Razer
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
The pc, ps3 and 360 will all have different servers.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
The pc, ps3 and 360 will all have different servers.

that is my understand as well.

Zachrates
01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
It's better that it's not cross-platform. Because on shooters, mouse + keyboard destroys controller based aiming, even on the most basic player level.

Microsoft tried this before and that's exactly what happened, look it up.

DuoMaxwell007
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
lol at "ps3 doesnt have keyboards" umm so what have i been using on my ps2 and ps3 all these years? Looks like a keyboard to me...

Kalanaja
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Dust 514 is on PS3 and it's connected to EVE. Seems to work fine so far. Also KB/M work quite well on a Playstation. I use KB/M for Dust myself. Some of the people that use only the controllers do quite well against someone using a KB/M. It's all in the matter of how long someone has been using whatever controller they use.

NebsiNsaNe
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
OK so game ecosystems will not mingle in Defiance.. Fine. But will I be able to use my account I purchased and created on PC with a copy I purchase for 360? Or will that just mean I'll have two accounts? I like the idea of playing my character across all platforms, even if I have to buy the game for each and have a different play community whenever I log in.

nitroz76
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
So, just have the ps3 and pc cross.

Demented Dame
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
So, just have the ps3 and pc cross.This will probably not happen. Sony and Microsoft don't play well together! Maybe Xbox and PC though...???;)

jack from shadows
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Dust 514 is on PS3 and it's connected to EVE. Seems to work fine so far. Also KB/M work quite well on a Playstation. I use KB/M for Dust myself. Some of the people that use only the controllers do quite well against someone using a KB/M. It's all in the matter of how long someone has been using whatever controller they use.

Connected through cluster - no psp network or xbox online. And it doesn't true connected - just some missions in eve.

Tenz
01-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I ish they would put up a better picture i would like to see what the digital items look like more. but im sure i have made my mind up on getting the CE. gamestop said you get the lock box for both CE and UE.

Aaricane
01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I ish they would put up a better picture i would like to see what the digital items look like more. but im sure i have made my mind up on getting the CE. gamestop said you get the lock box for both CE and UE.As i've learned the hard way, take what EB/Gamestop says, with a grain of sand.....

Unconquered
02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
This would be so very dumb if it is not cross platform. It has, and still is, done in Final Fantasy XI. Played that mmo for years with people all over the world and on PC, Xbox 360, and PS2. This is lame and disappointing. Guess I wont be getting this game for the Xbox like I planned.

Desidus
02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
This would be so very dumb if it is not cross platform. It has, and still is, done in Final Fantasy XI. Played that mmo for years with people all over the world and on PC, Xbox 360, and PS2. This is lame and disappointing. Guess I wont be getting this game for the Xbox like I planned.

We are all hoping it will happen eventually, but unfortunately it seems it won't happen straight off the launch.

Getphazed
03-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Would be awesome if they added cross platform, or at least the ability to play your character on different systems. I have family/friends on all platforms and would be nice if there was a game that i could play along with all of them instead of choosing one platform for a game. If not cross platform at least let our account/characters playable on all of the platforms if we were to purchase the game for each.

velvet
03-30-2013, 01:37 AM
"Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability." - Sounds like Microsoft wants things run their way. I doubt that Trion would go announcing that the game would be on all three consoles without first approaching these companies and getting permission.

This load of shtaco is why microsoft is pissing in the wind. I got a 360 ages ago and regret it to this day. Hope my ps3 is open to pc gamers if microsoft can't play nice they should back out of the game. Its just sad we can't play together cause some old money rivals can't be friends

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Despite the fact that I only have an Xbox and am foolish enough to be planning on continuing with MS, you're probably right.

On another note, thread necromancer was successful.

velvet
03-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Despite the fact that I only have an Xbox and am foolish enough to be planning on continuing with MS, you're probably right.

On another note, thread necromancer was successful.

There was a time when xbox was all I had. And I still use my xbox but they really kill me with some of the limits they make

orangescionxb
04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
so to go back to a question asked before, will the accounts be able to be played on all systems or will i have to have three separate accounts now that its not going to be cross console?

IGears
04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
so to go back to a question asked before, will the accounts be able to be played on all systems or will i have to have three separate accounts now that its not going to be cross console?

you can use the same account but you need the separate game and keys for each platform,. you will not have the same characters on each platform as well.

Vape4life
04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
While I would like to see this game go cross-platform, I firmly believe that it should only be on the PvE side. It would be very one sided in PvP, I know there are some really good controller users out there, but there just aren't enough of them out there to balance out a match against PC players.

XSomeLoser
04-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Man I really do wish they would cross platform the PC and Xbox. This game looks good, but my friends that have it, own it for Xbox. Now that I have a PC that can handle this I don't want to downgrade by getting it for my Xbox. The only reason I would play this game is for the multiplayer aspect sense it is an MMO, but my Xbox is used for Netflix, not gaming, its just too old and my PC is better. Hopefully they will merge the two in the future, then Ill have a reason to buy it.

XSomeLoser
04-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Man I really do wish they would cross platform the PC and Xbox. This game looks good, but my friends that have it, own it for Xbox. Now that I have a PC that can handle this I don't want to downgrade by getting it for my Xbox. The only reason I would play this game is for the multiplayer aspect sense it is an MMO, but my Xbox is used for Netflix, not gaming, its just too old and my PC is better. Hopefully they will merge the two in the future, then Ill have a reason to buy it.

Dinova
04-03-2013, 08:12 AM
At best, keep your hopes for the next-gen console of microsoft, but little hope for the current Xbox.

But even then, i would gues it will only be Xbox/Windows Live games, not any 3rd party (non MS store) games, that would have such feature.

IGears
04-03-2013, 08:20 AM

yeah i feel the same way as well... but you cant just use your xbox only for netflix.. that like paying netflix twice for the single service.

MMandevil
04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
At best, keep your hopes for the next-gen console of microsoft, but little hope for the current Xbox.

But even then, i would gues it will only be Xbox/Windows Live games, not any 3rd party (non MS store) games, that would have such feature.

They can't stop it from happening on the PC to PS3 going because that would just piss people off to no end, they don't own the parts just the OS, I'd say steam to PS3 and Windows live to Xbox 360, I really believe MS needs to get there heads outta there *****. just an opinion of course.

Remag Div
04-03-2013, 08:34 AM
So how does this gonna work with the show if the game affects it and there's 3 different servers with different outcomes potentially?

Dinova
04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
They can't stop it from happening on the PC to PS3 going because that would just piss people off to no end, they don't own the parts just the OS, I'd say steam to PS3 and Windows live to Xbox 360, I really believe MS needs to get there heads outta there *****. just an opinion of course.
Well even PS3 had quite a few moments they actualy could combine their 'gameservers', Borderlands, The Heist, Dungeon Defenders, but each just couldnt do it because of various reasons. Games like Battlefield 3 a PS3 couldnt handle the power needed to get to 64players without trashing massive on the graphics, not to mention an entire different server-architecture.

Personaly, MS got the best deck of cards atm, they are making a wide-platform throughout PC, tablet, console and phone, if there is one company capable of going cross-platform (wich they own, unlike Sony), it would be Microsoft.

Shadoekite
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I feel like they should have cross platform servers you can join (xbox and pc and a separate ps3 and pc due to said rivalry) so you can switch in them and play with friends and you know good and well you will be going against keyboard users during pvp. And you keep the same characters on all the servers. Or just make it to where pc users have to plug in an xbox controller to play with console users.

Mirimon
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Well even PS3 had quite a few moments they actualy could combine their 'gameservers', Borderlands, The Heist, Dungeon Defenders, but each just couldnt do it because of various reasons. Games like Battlefield 3 a PS3 couldnt handle the power needed to get to 64players without trashing massive on the graphics, not to mention an entire different server-architecture.

Personaly, MS got the best deck of cards atm, they are making a wide-platform throughout PC, tablet, console and phone, if there is one company capable of going cross-platform (wich they own, unlike Sony), it would be Microsoft.

i'm sorry.. are you saying ps3 couldn't handle more players due to graphics processing? first off, the hardware, which has a cpu more powerful than anything you can by off the shelf and install on a home pc, is more than capable.. as for gfx processing.. while my pc runs dual 690's in quad sli.. fact is I can also run bf3, rift, and any other game out today on max settings using nothing more than 8 gigs of ram and a gtx260..... while it is true that the hardware in the xbox is woefully inadequate, most of what people buy for their pc is simply over the top and not needed. the only thing that prevents EA... (not exactly known for their game quality these days) among others from letting a powerful console like the ps3 from running more players is coding.. software/network coding.... don't forget.. it already has a shooter that hosts 256 players in a match (128 per side).. among playing SEVERAL MMORPGS..) heck.. back before wow went to 3.0 I played it on my original ps3 using linux 5.4 as the OS... linux users simply couldn't keep up with the constant coding changes to keep it going after that.. not that playing WoW is by any means hardware intensive.. Minecraft is graphically more of a task...)

the problem is.. making a game that is played on ALL platforms, exactly the same, on them all.. introduces a problem.

lets say you have a large container of water, and you must empty this container of water into something else using using what you have at hand, a garden hose, flexible, and built to move water (PC), a 1/2 diameter PVC Pipe.. while not flexible like the hose, it can also move just as much water, and last much longer due to how it was made (PS3), and then you have a plastic straw from mcdonalds.. it's short, wont last long, has a tendency to tear or get holes in it when used, and can not pass nearly a fraction as much liquid through it at a time compared to the other two (XBOX) and yet.. there are certainly many of these straws lying about, people use them alot and that are publicly more noticeable. NOW.. if you used only the pipe and the hose, you would be able to empty that container pretty fast.. BUT.... the instant you introduce the straw.. only a trickle of what you need will come out...

and so the gamers of the platforms would benefit from games developed exclusively for the pc or ps3.. the people who play on pc/ps3 and get a game made ALSO for the xbox will be getting a game that is lacking, and could have been much more from a development point of view. A company will not simply make a game, send out what xbox can handle, then continue spending money to develop it further for other systems... they will simply stop at the first roadblock, make their money, (because the consumer WILL buy it, with out even a thought) and crank out another product done half way, resting on the name that was built for them.. selling a brand, not quality.

there are plenty of examples.. actual, working games that are top notch and unrivaled when it comes to graphics, or physics processing, or speed, that are made exclusively for these more powerful machines to show people the kind of things they can tap into.

Microsoft didn't get where they are at random.. they were aggressive, and in terms of gaming consoles, they had an effective disinformation type smear campaign.. money purchased the "high ratings" of hardware and software, and they pocketed many consumers through simple viral advertising.

now.. like iv'e reminded others.. the true cross platform gaming.. (actual cross platform.. literally playing with and chatting with players from console to pc) actually started on the PS2......continued to the PS3 with several other games as well as the older ones, and looks reasonably bright, as long as game publishers keep it away from the microsoft console (which they wont.. because they like money no matter how it was made).

other than that.. some people earlier were talking about how to better use an xbox.. well.. it does not make a good chalk-block for a truck or trailer.. too fragile, and wont stop a truck...

it is effective and scaring any stray animals away from the house with is array of screeching noises when turned on.

it is good for an arsonist.. all he has to do is plug it in and within 4 months that building will burn down, and nobody will be the wiser, while another lawsuit can be aimed at MS after they get their insurance money (fyi.. many home insurance companies have already made increases to home premiums if the home is known to have an xbox in it, due to the fire hazards)

stacks of these are in several stores, and make a great place to sit for a moment, or leave behind al the things you decided not to get but didn't feel like putting them back where they belong.

they do not stop bullets well, nor do they play at all after being shot (or before being shot) unlike my wounded playstation, which has had a couple of AK rounds go through it and some mortar shrapnel from one of my iraq tours.. and lol.. you couldn't give away a free xbox to iraqis.., I tried, they felt insulted..not that they would be able to enjoy it.. with all that region locking...

no.. I can't think of much good an xbox is at all, were it not for halo.. there would never have been a 360.. and halo wasn't exactly ground breaking for an fps.... not to pc players anyways..

oh, and there is no pc-ps3 "rivalry".. fact is.. you need no special cables at all to plug in (or use bluetooth) a ps3 controller to a pc and play games.... anybody thinking xbox works well at all and easily with pc more so than a ps3 is not only diusional, but either willfully ignorant or simply not experienced enough to quantify them even mentioning it...(this part is directed at the guy who posted immediately before this)

RobbieTheRabbit
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
if ps3 can cross platform wit pc and xbox360 I WILL GET DEFIANCE FOR PC RIGHT NOW!!!! i got it for ps3 becuase lots of my friends dont have a good pc to play with..

PC IS WAY BETTER FOR THIS GAME.. HANDS DOWN. :)

Mirimon
04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
if ps3 can cross platform wit pc and xbox360 I WILL GET DEFIANCE FOR PC RIGHT NOW!!!! i got it for ps3 becuase lots of my friends dont have a good pc to play with..

PC IS WAY BETTER FOR THIS GAME.. HANDS DOWN. :)

thing is.. it cannot.. the ps3 plays in it's own world, as does the pc.. and xbox.. all 3 are separate (well... xbox is further divided by regions atm.. not that it matters.. I can't imagine there are many xbox users for defiance. they have less than 1/2 the online players than ps3)

the above post was about the relationship and hurdles of programmers developing games and what happens when they go cross platform and one of those platforms is severely limiting.