PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Questions (New Player)

Duke5150
12-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Hello, folks.

Just discovered the game a few days ago on the playstation store and the free download version sold me on the game. I plan to purchase the collector's edition at some point in the future, along with the expansion packs. I've been waiting for an open world third person shooter, and this gets the job done. The action of the game and the monster designs are what sucked me in. I really enjoy the combat and trying out the different guns is always fun. I've also been a fan of diablo and borderlands, so the loot system in the game (RNG Hell) is perfect for me.

If all that weren't enough, Defiance includes a pretty interesting story and tells it in a very cool cutscene fashion! Oh! The vehicles! I really dig the "rides" in the game. Boosting from jump to jump, trying to land that 1080 on the way to each event site! I'm also a big fan of character development, and Defiance has plenty of that to offer. I'm impressed by the game to say the least.

I also enjoy how the game doesn't force you to play with others. I have been able to complete the main missions without the worry or wait of forming groups, and when I did have a partner for a mission, it felt cool. We would fight off raiders at a farm house, or delve into enemy held territory and then go our separate ways without any issues at all. I could probably keep going, but I came here for a purpose and this is longer than I intended.

The Questions!
While my experience with the in-game community has been mostly positive, I have been given some conflicting advice, and I'm not 100% sure my questions have been answered reading what I've found on defiancedata.

The Ego "Level" cap is 5871 without expansions, and once you earn 2600 ego through the experience bar, you stop earning ego via experience. That leaves 3271 ego "levels" up for grabs via "leveling" weapons, vehicles and completing pursuits. My question is, can I get stuck at a lower ego cap, if I earned ego via pursuits/weapons/rides, before I hit the experience bar limit of 2600? Are they two separate ego tracks?

If I hit 2600, do I stop earning experience even if I achieved 2600 using ego earned from pursuits/weapons/rides? For example, if 200 ego of that 2600 is from pursuits/other, then I've only gain 2400 ego via the experience bar, so in theory, I still have 200 to go. But, if the limit is hit using pursuit/other ego, then I'll only be able to achieve an ego rating of 5671, being 200 ego short.

I believe that you must earn 2600 ego worth of experience to reach the limit, and the ego earned from pursuits/other does not count towards that 2600e limit. (defiancedata leads me to believe I am correct) But I am not positive and a few folks in the game have said that hitting 2600 stops experience gain, regardless of how you get to that ego rating. Meaning I could end up at a lower total ego rating in the end. (which matters to me as I want to achieve the highest ego rating possible)

I hope I made that clear.

Second and final question... for now. :D If I earned ego via DLC pursuits (warmaster comes to mind), will that ego carry over and boost my overall rating once I purchase the correct DLC, or will that ego be forever lost and wasted for my character? I believe I won't see that ego increase until I purchase the correct DLC, which is logical, but I worry that I may lose that ego permanently.

Sorry for such a long post, and a thousand thank yous for any and all constructive replies! If you play defiance on playstation and see me flying through the air on my quad, give me a shout! I'm looking for a clan with friendly, helpful, informed members that are willing to get together for clan/co-op/pvp pursuits. You know, the stuff I can't do alone. I'm in my thirties, and would enjoy a more mature member base, but I can get goofy at times too, so I don't mind sillyness. I do not have a headset and have no current plans to get one. Maybe in the future. My psn and character name are both Duke5150. I play daily, life allowing. More than I should at the moment!;)

Thanks again!

Oh Yeah! I love the personal loot drops! Not having to deal with drop stealing is a major selling point for me! Had to include that! :p

Cyripax NeoPrime
12-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Amazon has the collector gamestop editions right now for 19.99 ps3, 49.99 xbox, and 29.99 pc.
They come with the season pass code, 1200 bits(worth a bit less than 20$)a neat messenger bag of a suprisingly good quality, the hell bug statue, and tons of digital stuff. Stickers, artbook, dvd cd. The giant box looks like a crate, and the smaller box is a hellbug enclosure. You can find it almost same price of season pass or cheaper. Def worth it, i just bought another one for pc.

Skape
12-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Cyripax NeoPrime,

I was told that you can no longer apply a code/dlc to an account that has already recieved it, so I have been hesitant to purchase a second Ultimate, would you let me know if your second one you mentioned works?

Ryker Vorton
12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
That EGO 2600 is kind of a theoretical number because it is 100% impossible to get max ego level without having achievements done on the way. For example, first time you equip a certain weapon you get points towards a pursuit, when you reach ego 1000 you get another pursuit, when you max out an ego power you get another pursuit, again when you max your first perk, when you ride 1000 meters on a vehicle, when you jump 25 meters, etc etc etc etc

DLC specific pursuits will activate only after you get the corresponding DLC, in other words, no matter what you do you wont get points towards DLC pursuits intul you have the DLC.
On my first charcater i've hit the EXP cap around ego 4200, on my second character i am around ego 3500 and still got half of the ego grid to go (you reach the exp cap when you earned enough ego points to have every ego power and ego perk maxed, whenever that is)

Cyripax NeoPrime
12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Cyripax NeoPrime,

I was told that you can no longer apply a code/dlc to an account that has already recieved it, so I have been hesitant to purchase a second Ultimate, would you let me know if your second one you mentioned works?

No no. I have the ps3 version right now. I just bought a pc version.

squidgod2000
12-30-2014, 10:49 AM
On the 2600 EGO thing:

You gain 2600 EGO points from repeatedly filling your XP bar (assuming that's the right number). It's 2600 of the 5871 total, not "you only gain EGO from XP until you reach 2600 EGO."

Duke5150
12-31-2014, 06:20 AM
On the 2600 EGO thing:

You gain 2600 EGO points from repeatedly filling your XP bar (assuming that's the right number). It's 2600 of the 5871 total, not "you only gain EGO from XP until you reach 2600 EGO."

Thanks you! I was hoping that was how it works. It makes no sense the other way. I'm sure folks hit 2600 ego (total) faster than they earn 2600 ego worth of experience. This means I can complete my pursuits and finish leveling my weapons/rides without worrying about getting stuck at a much lower ego cap.

Thanks for the help!

And thanks to all the rest of you for the replies! It's appreciated!

@ Ryker. I asked about DLC, because when I did a warmaster, I got pursuit credit for being in a game where the warmaster was killed. I'll just avoid completing an entire DLC pursuit until I buy the DLCs

@ Cyripax. That's exactly what I'm going for. The collector's edition has lots of goodies as little bonuses, plus the in-game bonuses. It's cheap enough to be a regular edition, so there is no reason not to buy it, to me. One big thing about owning the actual game, is the minimap. I cannot lock the mini map on the free version. So knowing true north is impossible without looking at the actual map.

Ryker Vorton
12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
@ Ryker. I asked about DLC, because when I did a warmaster, I got pursuit credit for being in a game where the warmaster was killed. I'll just avoid completing an entire DLC pursuit until I buy the DLCs

Yep, that's a standard pursuit, no DLC required :) I think there are a couple more pursuits out there that involves content from the DLC expansions but doesn't require them to be achieved