PDA

View Full Version : The Wasteland Roller Rally hosted by warpunk and deathwhach

warpunk
12-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Current Weekly Status: Suspended
Next Event Date: Unknown
Last Event Winner: Taffer

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r493/blinkriddle/rally_zps94194478.png (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/blinkriddle/media/rally_zps94194478.png.html)

Hello fellow Ark Hunters! After playing for some time I was disappointed to see there were no mechanics to allow for competitive racing nor have I seen or heard of any such events taking place so here is the solution available to all who would be interested!

The idea was to create a competitive race event which would give racers a chance to test their skill against others for the prize of 100k scrip! Race alone and brave the trek to snag the prize or bring along a navigator and split it!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r493/blinkriddle/map_zps576a5765.png (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/blinkriddle/media/map_zps576a5765.png.html)
-------------

The When - The Wasteland Roller Rally will be held weekly on Sunday 4pm EST on the US server. All racers are asked to sign up in this thread. All entry fees must be paid prior to Sun. 4pm EST.

Entry Fee - 20k scrip, all racers must pay 20,000 scrip to enter. Future prize may increase if turnout becomes successful enough.

The Track - The Rally meets up and starts in the courtyard of the Iron Demon Ranch. From there racers will face the rough and treacherous path to Overpass in San Francisco. Take it safe along the ruined roads or pedal to the metal on the road less traveled. Along the way you will face rough terrain, hostile enemies, and the ruined strip of suspended asphalt known as the Golden Gate Bridge. The first racer to pass over the bridge above Overpass will be declared winner of the 100,000 scrip prize!

The Prize - 100k scrip, There is only one winner here and they take it all! Prize is paid immediately to the winner. Future prize may increase if turnout becomes successful enough.

Rules:

-The Dodge Durango -Billet Silver Metallic (used in the Dodge Time Trial Challenge) will not be a valid vehicle. Anyone found attempting to use this vehicle will be disqualified.
- Rollers only, this of course means not Quads. Any Racer not driving a roller will not be allowed to enter. This may only be a temporary rule, future use of quads is possible.
- No fast travel, obviously. Drivers may however leave their vehicle and travel on foot should they find themselves in situations which leaves them no other route such as but not limited to: Crashing into water, trees, hostiles, or rocks. Anyone found to be guilty of any sort of fast travel will be disqualified and no refunds will be given with the exception of crashing into bodies of water too far from the map via extraction.
- All results are final, anyone disrespecting the judges will be disqualified and may be banned from any future events.

Again - no refunds will be granted to anyone who breaks the rules.

-------------

We hope to get a good turnout from this and are very sure this will be an enjoyable event for all. See ya on the track!

Keeper Riff
12-31-2014, 12:55 AM
on the US server
Which platform? PC?

Wednesday 4pm EST
Damn, that's exactly 00:00 Moscow time. I guess I have to skip the Dec. 31th one if it will be held.

with the exception of crashing into bodies of water too far from the map.I suggest no exceptions for fast travel period. Stuck somewhere — type /extract. That's exactly what this command is designed for.

Some questions and suggestions still:
1. How do you plan to detect fast-travellers and friend-ports? Is the winner required to post a video of their race to claim the prize? Because I can't think of any other means and I smell a cheatfest here. For example, jamming the traffic to prevent emergencies from loading comes to mind in the first place. If the video is required, it should be announced beforehand obviously.

Maybe split racers into groups and have a judge as a member of each group who could monitor all their movement on the map?

Or, alternatively, split the race into checkpoints deliberately placed far from fast-travel points and post their coordinates in zone chat when the previous one is reached so that people would not be able to place their friends preemptively.

2. I suggest reversing the course at least. With the way it's drawn now, it gives some people an unfair advantage (I'll elaborate in PM).

Chris Robet
12-31-2014, 01:02 AM
I think this is a great idea. If it is on PS3 I will enter... wait a minute my flashbacks are coming back to me now
http://www.tensionnot.com/pictures/images/Car/Car-Hits-Tree.jpghttp://www.funny-potato.com/images/windshield.jpghttp://www.baynews9.com/content/dam/news/images/2012/09/submerged-car-pond-0914.jpg
On second thought maybe I'll pass.

Keeper Riff
12-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Forgot the most important thing on public events in Defiance. :eek:

How do you plan to gather people who want to participate but ended up on different shards?

RygelUK
12-31-2014, 03:14 AM
Next question for you,
20k to enter, 100k prize to winner.
What are you doing with the rest of the money if you get more than 5 racers? Splitting it down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th places?
I would think you'd have more sign ons if the 1st place prize was higher....

Chris Robet
12-31-2014, 03:19 AM
100k isn't really that much. You wouldn't really get anymore than new people in orange challengers. 500k is where most people would feel comfortable joining.

Ryker Vorton
01-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Next question for you,
20k to enter, 100k prize to winner.
What are you doing with the rest of the money if you get more than 5 racers? Splitting it down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th places?
I would think you'd have more sign ons if the 1st place prize was higher....

let's say 10 participants = 100% profit for the organizer.... booooo

In my old clan i used to organize the paradise caravan (from E-rep camp to coit tower) each day, just for the fun of it, always wanted to organizze a rally through san francisco with 1 mil for first prize, 500k and 250k for 2nd and 3rd, but then we massively left the cllan, some even stopped playing and i needed at least 5 other people to work with me on the checkpoints and timing during the race.

Bentu
01-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Really the only way this could work is for the competitor to take along a marshal to ensure there's no fast travelling. I'm sure you could find a few good guys to do that.

Keeper Riff
01-02-2015, 02:55 AM
let's say 10 participants = 100% profit for the organizer.... boooooWhat's wrong with that? They're not scamming, and scrip are just pixels which will inevitably disappear once we see "Servers are Offline".

warpunk,
Tried your course BTW. It takes about 6 minutes on a general roller and about 7 minutes on Titan (20 lvl, +5% clan bonus, no dirty tricks). I expect it can be improved by half a minute or so by optimizing the route, avoiding random bumps, etc. PM me if you need to run any specific tests or something.

hiban
01-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Really the only way this could work is for the competitor to take along a marshal to ensure there's no fast travelling. I'm sure you could find a few good guys to do that.

or you could have the competitors make groups of 3 people, and have a 4th guy (marshal) in each group, who can then monitor the position of his group mates (green dots) in the map in real-time.

Keeper Riff
01-04-2015, 02:35 AM
By the way, why Rollers only? Quads are generally slower when it comes to a long run, so I see no reason to forbid them other than the "You're noob, you didn't get your roller yet" attitude.

Keeper Riff
01-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Are we having the race this Wed or did the OP disappear?

OMERTA
01-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Cool idea :)

warpunk
01-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Are we having the race this Wed or did the OP disappear?

Yes the OP did indeed disappear.

My apologies everyone, my internet service was suspended (which is why I also wasn't able to post a cancellation notice) but I have it back now. I see some were making comments on the profit margin for the race and yes there would be a pretty decent amount of scrip left as "profit" after the prize was to be paid out however it isn't just me conducting it. A few others have mentioned some ideas as to how one could improve upon this idea and I will be looking at some of those ideas in the future.

Also I will be switching the day of the even from Wednesday to Sunday. This switch will be reflected in the original post as will all future amendments.

If anyone has any questions, comments, ideas, or the desire to help make this event possible please feel free to let me know.

Keeper Riff
01-09-2015, 05:22 AM
-The Dodge Durango will not be a valid vehicle due to an apparent boost mechanic that gives it an unfair advantage.I think that's too harsh. The Durango given at the Time Trial has distinctive color (light blue or light gray AFAIR), so all dark-colored Durango should be safe to use. The Durango is fine by itself, it's slightly faster but that's countered by slow acceleration. Except the one from Time Trial of course.

Confirmed: It's Billet Silver Metallic Durango which is used for Trials (not to be confused with Billet Silver Challenger which is legitimate to use obviously).

Keeper Riff
01-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Also I will be switching the day of the even from Wednesday to Sunday. This switch will be reflected in the original post as will all future amendments. If we're going to have the event this Sunday, the first post should be changed ASAP. Not everyone visit the forum every day.

Also, here's a shortened link to this page if you plan to advertise in Zone chat (you know, because people will have to type it by hand in address bar from the screen to visit the page):

http://goo.gl/kM5CcU
(warning — the link is CaSe SeNsiTiVe!)

http://tinyurl.com/RollerRace
(this one is not case sensitive and easier to remember and type)

warpunk
01-10-2015, 12:03 AM
If we're going to have the event this Sunday, the first post should be changed ASAP. Not everyone visit the forum every day.

Also, here's a shortened link to this page if you plan to advertise in Zone chat (you know, because people will have to type it by hand in address bar from the screen to visit the page):

http://goo.gl/kM5CcU
(warning — the link is CaSe SeNsiTiVe!)

http://tinyurl.com/RollerRace
(this one is not case sensitive and easier to remember and type)

Thanks a lot man, really helpful.

vash2x60billion
01-10-2015, 12:04 PM
I think you should come up with a crew and do trail runs. Ill help.

Keeper Riff
01-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Bump for today's event I guess? Who's in?

Character name: Taffer
Account name: Keeper Riff

Can we know the character names of the staff please so we could group-port or friend-port to them if we happen to be on a different shard?

warpunk
01-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Today's event is still on. warpunk is my in-game name anyone feel free to /w me. See you guys there!

warpunk
01-11-2015, 02:22 PM
The first turnout wasn't amazing but at least we did have some competition! The winner of the first Wasteland Roller Rally is Taffer!

Congratulations to him and a big thanks to all of the competitors! Hope to see you and more next week!

Keeper Riff
01-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated!

A couple of tips to you Warpunk on next races:

1. Have some friends to advertise your race in Zone Chat on different shards. You never know if the shard you are in is full of people or almost empty. If a friend is on another shard, his name's marked as red X in you Friends List. This way you can determine you all are on different shards before you start advertising. People from a different shard can port to you via group invite (you don't need to be a leader, porting to any group member works).

2. Mark the start line with Detonator grenades (VBI GL will suit best, but Big Boomer will be fine too) and just blow them up to start a race. Same for the finish line, grenades flash brightly, so this way everyone would see where they need to cross it right away.

I need more competition!! :cool:

warpunk
01-17-2015, 12:11 AM
I hate to say it but once again rl is showing how much it hates me and I'm gonna have to pull the plug on this. At least this time I'm able to let you know before it happens.

Keeper Riff
01-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Sad to see it end so quickly. This makes me the one and only winner MUAHAHAHAHA!!! J/K, that was a really fun event. Thank you for your effort Warpunk.