PDA

View Full Version : Any roleplayers?

Jaec
08-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm a regular MMO roleplayer! Are there any others who are interested in Defiance? :)

Jenbuu
08-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Im not hardcore but i do like it, will be interesting to see how they help the RP community

Kalbuir
08-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Yes I am a roleplayer, did it hardcore and casual in the past I have not made up my mind yet about defiance but going all out RP in Defiance seems very tempting as its an IP that you can do a lot with. I am kinda toying with a contest for Defiance Central which involves the RP / Immersion aspect of defiance.

If I make up my mind it will probably be up somewhere shortly after GamesCom, but want to see if the community can grow a little bit more before that tbh. Doesnt make sense to start a contest and get 3 entries :P.

Arkamenitas
08-11-2012, 10:40 PM
hm. I'd never really considered that aspect, mostly because defiance is a shooter rather than a more traditional rpg. But i'd be interesting in seeing where it goes (though i'm not really a participant so much as a spectator in the rp aspect)

Harfist
08-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Im casual roleplayer, definetely looking forward :)

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
i know some friends that might be into this actually... i may have to point them this way

Akraelios
08-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I am a "newly developing" role-player shall we say. This will be the first mmo i will roleplay in and i am quite looking forward to fitting a persona in my own unique type of way. We have an optional and casual role-playing guild set up at the moment , so check us out at www.thedarknesswithin.corplaunch.com , and i hope to see you role-playing with us in the future :)

Kobalt
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I enjoy quite a few aspects of the game from PvE to PvP, but above all I enjoy RP :). I must say that Defiance does indeed seem like an interesting world to RP in, however one thing makes me very nervous, the shooter title for the game, although neat, may plague this game with people that generally hate Rpers and what good is rp without a community? Anyways not a discourager, but definately causes me to be causious about making any form of commitment to this game O.o. However I have been playing MMO's for awhile now, starting with FF XI and then SWG, WoW for a short time, TOR, and Im currently looking at The Secret World. I look forward to learning more about Defiance in the days to come and all the cool little toys we'll get ie the vehicles, weapons, social aspects of the game :D and the armor and cool outfits (I love to shop and wear nice clothes/armor while I go pew pew :P). Who knows maybe I'll even get to enjoy exploring the wilderness and cities/towns/villages/social gathering zones of Defiance :).

Octavian
08-21-2012, 12:48 AM
I am a hardcore RPer, or have been in the past. I right now I'm in TOR but I plan to be in Defiance launch as well, and will be looking for an RP Guild

Jenbuu
08-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I am a hardcore RPer, or have been in the past. I right now I'm in TOR but I plan to be in Defiance launch as well, and will be looking for an RP Guild

ive set up a post in the guild recruitment for "looking for guild" take a lookshi and maybe add something there

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?205-LFG-A-Public-looking-for-guild-thread

RP is swtor was good, shame it was the only thing lol. that game took away my hopes lol

entropyrat
08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
If it's a MMO I'll be trying to find ways to RP in it, and bring the RP community closer together. I'm currently heading TSW-RP.com which is the RP community for The Secret World. The community site is only a few months old but well over 1,000 members strong. If Defiance continues to catch my interest like it has then I'd be interested in doing something similar for it.

Memphis
09-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I have very little experience in doing so, but both EoN and Defiance definitely look as thought they have ripe settings for role-play. I might give it a go, if Defiance can actually run on my computer.

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I was a hardcore RP-er back on Neverwinter Nights. Casual since vanilla WoW. But Defiance seems like a pretty amazing place to roleplay. Hopefully we get a healthy community of it.

PsiBer
09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Im a BIG-time and looooooong time RPer from before MMOs and CRPGs, b 4 computers we used these wired dice and strange instruments called pencils :)

Gibson Khaine
09-24-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm quite a big roleplayer, doing it every friday night with Pathfinder, Mechwarrior, Call of Cthulhu, Starwars, Dungeons and Dragons, you name it, Ive probably played it over the last 26 years.

In MMO's though depsite my passion, roleplaying tends to get lost on a lot of the mainstream MMORPG's.

I think however Im really going to go deep into roleplay in Defiance providing it has trhe facility to do so. (Havent seen much in the way of the chat system yet, and certainly voice communications going to be a big thing also.

With its Xbox and Playstation model im hoping its integrated and encouraged for roleplay in some voice channels. Voice acting a big love of mine so hoping thats there for me to do too!

Although in the pvp environment where voice coms are going to be more use, what would be cool is if you choose to activate an ingame voice communication that you auto join channels and leave channels depending on where you are in the game.

Imagine your in one area of the game where there is ongoing Arkfall's etc where an event is taking place you comine into range of short band communications and join the chatter of the area. Much like joining a text chat channel for entering a new zone.
Now that would be amazing and if im not mistaken, NEW.

Kalbuir
09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
RP through voice communication would certainly not be my thing I am way to self conscious for that. Can't even listen to Defiance Central's podcast without being annoyed with my own voice. So voice acting is certainly not my thing. However from my talk with Rob Hill during GamesCom I do remember talking about the ability to hop into voice channels with just friends for example so what you have in mind certainly would seem possible. Wonder how many people would be interested in something like that, it would certainly be pretty immersive.

MrsBrewbud
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Roleplayer Present! I use to be Hardcore... But do to taking care of a toddler Hardcore took the back burner sadly.

Ssapdra
10-07-2012, 07:30 AM
im looking forward for RP this world setting can bring lots of new options into it :3

Rozak
10-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Sure, I used to RP back in the days of Halo Custom Edition, I preferred text RP though, it makes keeping on track easier and a hell of a lot less frustrating.

Shadinaxx
10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty confident that Defiance will have a strong RP community, especially since one of the major goals of teh dev team with the join media release is for "more immersion" into the game/series world. Voice acting may be difficult, but I'm sure a strong an dedicated RP community will be able to find female voices for the male players using a female character, and vice versa. Maybe not adlib LIVE, but for those that create mini series to be recorded and posted on youtube, etc

Disdain
10-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Always thought about giving it a go, but it seems you need to have researched a great deal in order to understand the bigger picture with enough depth to be convincing. Now for me, that sounds like far too much effort for a game, but I salute those of you that do.

I could probably do BF3 roleplay because thatís pretty much second nature to me.
I can do your 9 liners, WALTA, SALTA and MISTATís without breaking sweat.

I guess in the end, it will become a lot easier the more experience in game content you play in the roleplay scene, though I would feel a bit out of sorts for a while till I got the hang of it.

Shadinaxx
10-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Always thought about giving it a go, but it seems you need to have researched a great deal in order to understand the bigger picture with enough depth to be convincing. Now for me, that sounds like far too much effort for a game, but I salute those of you that do.

I could probably do BF3 roleplay because that’s pretty much second nature to me.
I can do your 9 liners, WALTA, SALTA and MISTAT’s without breaking sweat.

I guess in the end, it will become a lot easier the more experience in game content you play in the roleplay scene, though I would feel a bit out of sorts for a while till I got the hang of it.

Roleplay in a game is actually pretty simple to start with. It's basically just shared storytelling, adlibbed. So what you do is develop a story for YOUR character, a behavior, attitude, goals and a style. Then you act it out like you were in a dream, as your character. The more immersed you get with your character, and teh more involved you get with your surroundings, it gets more complicated, but it also gets easier, as long as you are frequent.

It doesnt really involve a strong understanding of teh game and it's story, we werent born on this planet with a knowledge of it's history... Same concept, so if you are curious about RP, and want to give it a go, jump in it. Worst case scenario, you feel awkward, type out "lol" an go shoot something in the face.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Roleplay in a game is actually pretty simple to start with. It's basically just shared storytelling, adlibbed. So what you do is develop a story for YOUR character, a behavior, attitude, goals and a style. Then you act it out like you were in a dream, as your character. The more immersed you get with your character, and teh more involved you get with your surroundings, it gets more complicated, but it also gets easier, as long as you are frequent.

It doesnt really involve a strong understanding of teh game and it's story, we werent born on this planet with a knowledge of it's history... Same concept, so if you are curious about RP, and want to give it a go, jump in it. Worst case scenario, you feel awkward, type out "lol" an go shoot something in the face.

LOL sound advice, It seems as if perharps you've been there and done that? :D

Irish
12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/qorogh/WhatisRP.jpg
@Power Play - Virtue Server - Main Character: Liberty Eagle

Been ARR PEEing (that looks nasty) since the days of the text-based MUSHes and MUSEs of the early 1990s, back before the internet was commercially available...before graphics and the WorldWide Web. Lately, eight and a half years on City of Heroes. I'm trying to grab some of my CoH supergroup (guild) and our coalition partners into the game.

If you have a game which follows along with a STORYLINE of a TV SHOW, where the actors are PLAYING ROLES, it only makes sense we should try to stress the RP possibilities in a game like this.

Just my $.02

-Irish

Plasma
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
given this game has a tv show the creative aspect will be huge as well as the lore behind defiance their will be huge opportunity to rp

AmazingPatt
12-16-2012, 08:24 PM
If you have a game which follows along with a STORYLINE of a TV SHOW, where the actors are PLAYING ROLES, it only makes sense we should try to stress the RP possibilities in a game like this

i agree with this =D

stormaaron
12-17-2012, 08:15 PM
im a part time role player il do it for fun but when it comes down to it i wont

Suun Brakur
12-19-2012, 06:30 AM
This will be my first attempt in creating such a clan that will be involve around RP. I have been reading on the subject and trying to find out what type of method use to make it successful. Will the Dev provide such mechanism in the game that would provide tracking of members loot, progression and etc?

vampero
12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I have nothing bad to say about RP players ,but I think this game will be to fast paced to worry about trying to RP.;)

Paladin
12-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I have nothing bad to say about RP players ,but I think this game will be to fast paced to worry about trying to RP.;)

You can always role play as the first guy to get shot :D

vampero
12-19-2012, 10:13 PM
You can always role play as the first guy to get shot :D

This is very true !:p

Rogue Roxy
12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
RPer to the core!

It'll be my first attempt at it on a FPS, or even a MMORPG, though. Unless Neverwinter Nights counts. *shrug*

~ Roxy

CMax
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM

There's always after (or before) the mission too. Meet up with allies, and agree to a job together. Or someone needs some help, and you offer to help them. This would be done at a base camp type place or elsewhere - away from battle.

RPing during combat is very fun though, but it takes some practice and quick thinking for sure.

Kroktar
01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
im not a real RP i guess....but i kinda like factions system.

or in open world pvp a guild like pirates yarrr or security :p

Deacon
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Fellow role players, if anyone is interested I've got a thread started in the guild recruitment section here:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?566-WARDENS-or-THE-MERCENARY-ALLIANCE-RP-guild-concepts.-Thoughts

I'm thinking of starting a guild but I'm toying around with two concepts. Either way it goes, I'm hoping to make the guild role play based. The first is...

WARDENS of the VIGIL

Citizens who have joined forces and become a sort of 'police militia' to uphold what law they can, protect the weak and innocent and all that jazz that goes along with being big damn heroes. While they have no official jurisdiction, the group of vigilantes does its best to be a force of good.

VS

The Mercenary Alliance

Essentially, a band of mercenaries from just about any background who take contracts. Every member governs their own morality and the contracts they take but when it hits the fan, The Mercenary Alliance comes together as a sovereign army. Mess with one, you mess with them all.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Feel free to post your opinion on which of these two concepts seems more interesting :)

Krazee DD
01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I love it. I like to right a backstory for my "dude" and get into it.

Shepard
01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
casual RPer. I love writing so i can't keep myself from coming up with stories for all my characters!

Helsynge
01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm a fairly casual RPer, I used to play pen and paper games with friends and on forums and even did a little in Star Wars Galaxies from time to time. I'm currently working on a clan called 'Snake-Eyes' which should cater to all playstyles (the frequency of which depends on popularity and enthusiasm of members to start their own events though), essentially it'll have a Firefly/Cowboy Bebop theme as a group of misfit mercenaries in terms of role-play potential. The name is essentially a poker term for a pair of aces and being a big fan of the game you can bet my character will be too ;)

BLOODMODE
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I roleplay for big questions to stir it up a bit. I was earlier with someone else regarding the reason why the conflict started

Smitch
01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Difference between casual & hardcore RPers in this game, is that the hard core players have 2+ languages that they might have to learn. >.< Good luck!

(Castithan & Irathient languages have been developed for this world. Those signs in alien script you see in the promo material. They mean things. ^.^)

Shepard
01-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Difference between casual & hardcore RPers in this game, is that the hard core players have 2+ languages that they might have to learn. >.< Good luck!

(Castithan & Irathient languages have been developed for this world. Those signs in alien script you see in the promo material. They mean things. ^.^)

Do they just use alien looking letters and words but still the same syntax and grammar the way it's done in futurama, or are they full blowl languages like Klingon or Na'vi?

Helsynge
01-05-2013, 04:54 AM
From what I understand there are only two playable races though and I'm fairly sure the other isn't one with its own language ;p

Smitch
01-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Do they just use alien looking letters and words but still the same syntax and grammar the way it's done in futurama, or are they full blown languages like Klingon or Na'vi?

They have their own grammar rules and the like. David J Peterson who conlanged up most of Dothraki for Game of Thrones has been working on Castithan & Irathiant mostly. They're both over 1300 words with working grammar. Hes done a touch of Indogene and Libarata I think it is, so the Indogene signs should say *something* and be consistent from what I understand, but it's not a 'working' language as such (yet ^.^).

Unfortunately, we have next to no information at this time. :(

MuKi1115
01-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Hello Devs and community!

Does anyone know how the "dirty language" issue is going to be handled in defiance?
I can still remember my time trying to roleplay an evil sith lord in SWTOR. It really hurt the immersion that I could brutally murder innocents but couldn't use foul language while doing it.:mad:
If I want to roleplay a kind of tough, grimy, independent arc hunter in Defiance I definitely need to use it aswell I'ld say...

Greets
MuKi

LeslieOfWetald
01-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Does anyone know how the "dirty language" issue is going to be handled in defiance?
I can still remember my time trying to roleplay an evil sith lord in SWTOR. It really hurt the immersion that I could brutally murder innocents but couldn't use foul language while doing it.:mad:
If I want to roleplay a kind of tough, grimy, independent arc hunter in Defiance I definitely need to use it aswell I'ld say...

Greets
MuKi

Agreed. Each individual player should have the option to toggle the profanity filter on and off. That way those who want to see it can, and those who don't won't have to. It seems silly to force a profanity filter on the entire player base when giving each individual a choice is entirely possible.

LeslieOfWetald
01-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Haha well said.

Deacon
01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Just want to say I'm happy to see this thread still doing well :) Always glad to see role players in an MMO community ;) From my experience, they tend to make some of the best members in a game community.

Doc
01-08-2013, 07:32 AM
I have been a healer class in every MMO Ive played and pretty good at my role. It will be interesting to see how the healer class will be set up in Defiance, I cant wait.

MuKi1115
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Agreed. Each individual player should have the option to toggle the profanity filter on and off. That way those who want to see it can, and those who don't won't have to. It seems silly to force a profanity filter on the entire player base when giving each individual a choice is entirely possible.

I totally agree. An individual profanity filter is the ideal solution...

Anam
01-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Aaahh, another roleplaying query thread. Yep, roleplayer. I'm also just as much a PVPer (mostly FPS). I roleplay with my PVP! I hope this game has tools, locations, and etc. It seems to have a great storyline and I can't wait to dig into the details of the show and see things in the game that move the story along.

It's like District 9 meets Firefly meets Starship Troopers.

Caios
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Nice find. Let me throw my hat in, as it were.

Hell yeah! Love to RP!

I guarantee you right now even if they only have basic text chat, I WILL be RPing as much as I can in this game. Or at least as much as I can before the people around me start going mad.

WarMad2
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM

Greets
MuKi

Why didnt you just turn off your profaine filter? lol

Aaricane
01-25-2013, 06:32 AM
I tried roleplaying once.

The girl i met in WoW talked me into trying it. I guess her & the guild did like monthly RP stories.
In one of the stories she fell in love with my character, but then i thought it wasnt just her character.
I was confused, and a little weirded out.....but flattered, but confused again.

It gave me mixed signals!!

So i quit & have never went to RPing ever again!
That was about 3yrs ago now.

DuoMaxwell007
01-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Im a ole player.. though Im more used to doing it in more traditional MMOs... dont think it would make since/fit well in a shooter.. but either way Ill be playing on PS3 which Im sure no one else here is lol

Laughter
01-25-2013, 08:09 AM
*walks into the room naked*

Oh... wrong kind of Role Playing?

DuoMaxwell007
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM

you werent roleplaying you were just being yourself..

Super_Jagerman
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Im a ole player.. though Im more used to doing it in more traditional MMOs... dont think it would make since/fit well in a shooter.. but either way Ill be playing on PS3 which Im sure no one else here is lol

Already a PS3 Guild up in the Guild Section.

Monstein
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

I know I was excited to to finally use my french maid outfit. I'll just setting on RPing a veteran with pts...wait...thats not RPing....I'll have to figure something out.

Caios
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Not at all, so long as you stay in character the whole time.

Caios
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
I tried roleplaying once.

The girl i met in WoW talked me into trying it. I guess her & the guild did like monthly RP stories.
In one of the stories she fell in love with my character, but then i thought it wasnt just her character.
I was confused, and a little weirded out.....but flattered, but confused again.

It gave me mixed signals!!

So i quit & have never went to RPing ever again!
That was about 3yrs ago now.

The key to RPing is not to take it too seriously. If you're trying too hard it's just going to get frustrating.

That said girls will very rarely ever RP falling in love with someone online for fear of attracting the wrong kind of attention. So if she was RPing a character falling in love with you it usually means she really was interested.

Aaricane
01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
The key to RPing is not to take it too seriously. If you're trying too hard it's just going to get frustrating.

That said girls will very rarely ever RP falling in love with someone online for fear of attracting the wrong kind of attention. So if she was RPing a character falling in love with you it usually means she really was interested.Flattering, but i feel violated for some reason lol

Garracuda
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Who's got the whip?

Tzar of kaos
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Too bad,not having a book(with the game) to learn,speak & write the different aliens languages...That was one thing i was hoping to get with the game...instead to get an XP boost i prefer to have this kind of book/dictionnary... :(

Caios
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Flattering, but i feel violated for some reason lol

LOL, Well don't let that get you down. It's always best to just ignore the folks who are making you uncomfortable. RP is just about having fun with the persona you create. Anything else is BS.

Too bad,not having a book(with the game) to learn,speak & write the different aliens languages...That was one thing i was hoping to get with the game...instead to get an XP boost i prefer to have this kind of book/dictionnary... :(

Oh don't worry, I'm positive someone will create a full alien language dictionary eventually. I know they have as much for the show's production so it's only a matter of time before some of the fans figure it out.

Aaricane
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
LOL, Well don't let that get you down. It's always best to just ignore the folks who are making you uncomfortable. RP is just about having fun with the persona you create. Anything else is BS.

Oh don't worry, I'm positive someone will create a full alien language dictionary eventually. I know they have as much for the show's production so it's only a matter of time before some of the fans figure it out.Well i wouldn't say it made it uncomfortable. I just thought it was a little odd is all haha

Caios
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Well i wouldn't say it made it uncomfortable. I just thought it was a little odd is all haha

RPers as a general rule are always a little odd.

I should know. !>.<

Aaricane
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
RPers as a general rule are always a little odd.

I should know. !>.<I had a really funny thing about popping my RPing cherry, but i kept it to myself....

Laughter
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
In all seriousness I always tend to stay in character in a way. Though I don't officially consider it as roleplaying. More so.. I just am in character. I don't go out looking to roleplay.

BrownSugar
01-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Flattering, but i feel violated for some reason lol

: ) ..........

D351
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
+1 to more language info... and I would love to do table-top roleplaying in this setting, so long as I didn't have to GM... Specifically, I'd like to see a GURPS: Defiance.

SteelPaladin
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Once more info become available to ppl concerning the world, im game.

SteelPaladin
01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
If the guild/clan/whatever features are released soon, at least we will be able t determine how much of a "community" game this will be besides; meet me here, were gonna kill bugs/ppl.

DuoMaxwell007
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
well since its a "shooter first" and "mmo second" Ive kinda already abandoned hope of guilds being complex and ppl doing things like RPing...

its basically just gonna be a third person, co op call of duty with hundreds poof ppl on one HUGE map.

SteelPaladin
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I def think playing a human will be much easier if ppl decide to rp w live spoken voice. Noone is actually gonna learn the other language right? i mean really?
Just do like all games do and make a "common" language that all speak.

DuoMaxwell007
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
I def think playing a human will be much easier if ppl decide to rp w live spoken voice. Noone is actually gonna learn the other language right? i mean really?

or you can pretend you have some kinda translator and that just make sit SOUND like theyre speaking english :p besides if I recall correctly in the trailer for the TV show the aliens (the ones that wanted to peacefully occupy earth) speak English and they look like humans.. just BIG humans but humans non the less

Aaricane
01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
or you can pretend you have some kinda translator and that just make sit SOUND like theyre speaking english :p besides if I recall correctly in the trailer for the TV show the aliens (the ones that wanted to peacefully occupy earth) speak English and they look like humans.. just BIG humans but humans non the lessIs that other race in the game Alien then? The Arathiens or whatever they are called?

Psykohamster
01-28-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm gonna do a little light Malcolm Reynolds roleplay.

D351
01-28-2013, 06:19 AM

I'm not prepared to learn them (there are more than one), but I'll be pretty darn impressed with anyone who does... Those are the kind of people I want in my guild.

Is that other race in the game Alien then? The Arathiens or whatever they are called?

Yes... and I hope the other Votan races become available in future content.

Tzar of kaos
01-28-2013, 07:13 AM
I think that the caracters humans and aliens in the tv show will speak human languages,act like humains and got all of humans feelings as usual...look at mass effect & others s.f. books,movies & games...H.C. Clarke's RAMA is different,a great novel...

Aaricane
01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I think that the caracters humans and aliens in the tv show will speak human languages,act like humains and got all of humans feelings as usual...look at mass effect & others s.f. books,movies & games...H.C. Clarke's RAMA is different,a great novel...Nope!

In the comic-con interview between actors/developers/producers, it was stated their are several different Alien languages. And when one is spoken, a small subtitle shows you what is said.

Now whether that remains true or not, is yet to be seen.
But i highly doubt they made 8 Alien languages just from none of them to be used.

bobalobabingbong
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Nope!

In the comic-con interview between actors/developers/producers, it was stated their are several different Alien languages. And when one is spoken, a small subtitle shows you what is said.

But i highly doubt they made 8 Alien languages just from none of them to be used.
It seems that David Peterson, who created the Dothraki language did the ones for this show.

Terra
01-28-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm a regular MMO roleplayer! Are there any others who are interested in Defiance? :)
i've often wondered this in modern or near future games how RP would really work. I mean in those settings you could basically be yourself and refer to modern culture yet still be technically role-playing. You know, doing all the stuff you apparently AREN'T supposed to do in traditional role-play.

DuoMaxwell007
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
i've often wondered this in modern or near future games how RP would really work. I mean in those settings you could basically be yourself and refer to modern culture yet still be technically role-playing. You know, doing all the stuff you apparently AREN'T supposed to do in traditional role-play.

while being yourself youre talking/acting out like how youre character would be in that situation.. as opposed to having a conversation about your crappy day at work or how nice some girls boobs you saw were while walkin down the street etc etc

Caios
01-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Think about it this way; are you an Ark Hunter in real life? Do you go around the SF Bay Area shooting crazy teraformed mutated monsters for shiny alien tech? The events of Defiance are taking place well into the future so it's safe to say the character you play isn't really you. And that's assuming you're playing a human in the first place.

Technically you could play yourself decades into the future, which would make you a pretty old Ark Hunter. That would be an interesting RP challenge, certainly, but it's still not the same as who you are today. So anyway you look at it you're not playing yourself.

Also there are no hard rules to roleplaying.

The biggest misconception that people have about it is that you HAVE TO do things a certain way in order to RP properly, and if you don't talk like this and act like that then clearly you're doing it wrong.

Anyone who says that is full of crap. The only thing you're supposed to do is play the character the way you imagine them to be, the only thing you need to do is have fun. So you can play someone who is basically just like you and make constant references to modern culture as much as you want, so long as you do it in character. :)

DuoMaxwell007
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Think about it this way; are you an Ark Hunter in real life? Do you go around the SF Bay Area shooting crazy teraformed mutated monsters for shiny alien tech? The events of Defiance are taking place well into the future so it's safe to say the character you play isn't really you. And that's assuming you're playing a human in the first place.

Technically you could play yourself decades into the future, which would make you a pretty old Ark Hunter. That would be an interesting RP challenge, certainly, but it's still not the same as who you are today. So anyway you look at it you're not playing yourself.

Also there are no hard rules to roleplaying.

The biggest misconception that people have about it is that you HAVE TO do things a certain way in order to RP properly, and if you don't talk like this and act like that then clearly you're doing it wrong.

Anyone who says that is full of crap. The only thing you're supposed to do is play the character the way you imagine them to be, the only thing you need to do is have fun. So you can play someone who is basically just like you and make constant references to modern culture as much as you want, so long as you do it in character. :)

how do i make references to modern culture but still be in character? i.e if the game takes place in lets say 2099... how does having a conversation about Lady Gaga's newest meat dress today (in the present) fit with my character whos in a time LONG after lady gaga has come and went?

Aaricane
01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Roleplaying is just to much work for me.

That's why if i ever do roleplay again, i will just be some mindless wanderer charged with destroying anything i am told to.
Therefore i don't have to keep up with the games events lol

Caios
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
how do i make references to modern culture but still be in character? i.e if the game takes place in lets say 2099... how does having a conversation about Lady Gaga's newest meat dress today (in the present) fit with my character whos in a time LONG after lady gaga has come and went?

"You know the meaty exoskeleton of this Hellbug reminds me of this story that my grandfather used to tell about the most famous entertainer of his day. She called herself 'Lady GaGa' and would wear a dress made entirely of raw meat. From the way he described it, man it must have been incredibly ugly. Of course, this was way before the Pale Wars and the resulting roaming mutant wolf packs, so walking around with raw meat hanging off you was a lot safer. Still you gotta wonder about people who would find that attractive, I mean the smell alone..."

DuoMaxwell007
01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
"You know the meaty exoskeleton of this Hellbug reminds me of this story that my grandfather used to tell about the most famous entertainer of his day. She called herself 'Lady GaGa' and would wear a dress made entirely of raw meat. From the way he described it, man it must have been incredibly ugly. Of course, this was way before the Pale Wars and the resulting roaming mutant wolf packs, so walking around with raw meat hanging off you was a lot safer. Still you gotta wonder about people who would find that attractive, I mean the smell alone..."

OMG i cant stop laughing LMAO!!!!

Tzar of kaos
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Who's lady gaga anyways ?? :p

Caios
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
OMG i cant stop laughing LMAO!!!!

Now you understand why I enjoy roleplaying so much. :D

DuoMaxwell007
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Now you understand why I enjoy roleplaying so much. :D

i woulda broke character after hearing that... i wouldnt have been able to restrain myself lol

ghostxtermanator
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I love roleplaying and I love defiance!

Psychrome
02-02-2013, 07:15 PM

hey there i responded in the other thread but ill repost what i posted there:) erm CTRL C CTRL V:

I am a hard core player turned casual due to RL. I have always loved RPrs since my gaming history is firmly rooted in PnP DnD. I am a huge fan of "on the spot" RP and love to randomly throw in comments when running across a public RP group. I have found that my best RP tends to come from unexpected situations.

I tend to focus heavily on Min Maxing however and that takes time away from a more permanent RP group and I tend to lose touch with regular story Arcs that develop. however, in a group that understands my habits i love being the cameo appearance guy who"just gets back from the front lines" after days/weeks/months of in game leveling. I have a tendency to play the rough military guy who is very concerned with the war/conflict/ whatever the in game factions are fighting over. I have a tendency towards tough love but genuine respect towards new recruits and an absolute love for the sarcastic dry humor revolving around the military life style of my characters. so If any groups are welcome to an unscheduled cameo appearance guy with the spirit of justice/and a penchant for dry sarcastic banter and puns oh yes horrible puns sometimes, id be willing to look out for you and see what kind of plot twists i can throw in to y'alls stories.

In the case of Defiance i will be focussing on Uniting the new population of Earth and fighting for Equality and ripping the throat out of any prejudice i see.

let me know if any fledgling groups would be interested in a monkey wrench or 3 and ill make my way to find y'all

Foxhop
03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I actually never thought about that aspect when I found this game and being a more experienced RPer, I'd love to see where it goes and try it out myself! I hope the devs give us some stuff to play with though, would really suck if they forgot about us when they have so much lore and opportunities!

Defy
03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
yeah I like to roleplay sometimes

I asked if there is an RP server a while back but was told there isnt

but still we can make an unofficial RP server or something I hope

iChinglish
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
We'll congregate...

Somewhere... Who knows where :P

MASSIVE EDIT: I'll just drop this link here, too. (http://defiancerp.forumotion.co.uk/)

Kroesis
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Ex PC MMORPG (GW, MxO, SWG etc...) role player here, had to stick with just the Xbox a few years ago due to RL getting in the way. I have been waiting for a decent console memo to come out for ages, hopefully this is it. Planning to RP with this too.

Defy
03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
We'll congregate...

Somewhere... Who knows where :P

MASSIVE EDIT: I'll just drop this link here, too. (http://defiancerp.forumotion.co.uk/)

Is that a clan? and is it based in the UK?

Lyvandil
03-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I would say so everyone should take into aspect that even though this world is being created for gaming and television. We the players our also gonna be creating the world of Defiance. To play this game you are basically gonna be a roleplayer. Obviously some will be just be playing the game to play the game. I myself will be roleplaying that is the basis behind the guild i have created.

Big Sig
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't mind a good role play now and then. But my guild isn't into it and that's ok with me I like the guys in my guild so it's all good. I did put my character bio in that thread though.

Infinite Eureka
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I am a Roleplayer, I cannot wait to roleplay in this game :D

Dreamblade
03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I love to Roleplay. It gives some reason to the things I'm doing and the stuff I'm wearing.

However, is there a 3rd person camera and can we look around our character? That's kind of important to me. Anyone who played the beta know?

Xtheoneandonly
03-30-2013, 08:05 PM
It is in all third person, but it's a fixed camera, sadly. I would prefer it more adjustable. However, I too enjoy a good roleplay and cant wait to make my character so I can finalize some of these ideas in my head.

Zyvaks
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
i'll join in a roleplay if asked

i've been told my female voice seriously sounds legit, but i'll only do female voices when i'm the only one home (too shy to do it when family is around lol)
i will take on any role, but i will make it funny every time (or atleast try)

Xtheoneandonly
03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
uhh, yeah....definitely won't be doing rps over voice....They don't work quite as well....so I hope there's some modicum of improvement on the chat system over beta.

Zyvaks
03-30-2013, 08:20 PM
uhh, yeah....definitely won't be doing rps over voice....They don't work quite as well....so I hope there's some modicum of improvement on the chat system over beta.

i also prefer typing, but in Defiance's chat case... i may make an exception. either way, it will be a blast if i can get my roleplay mojo going :D

Ensu
03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I love to Roleplay. It gives some reason to the things I'm doing and the stuff I'm wearing.

However, is there a 3rd person camera and can we look around our character? That's kind of important to me. Anyone who played the beta know?

If you're sitting on a quad you can turn the camera around the character. It's a smart camera though, so it tries to hide behind you again if you leave it still for too long. That was how it worked in beta, at least.

As for me, I've been an RPer for a long time. I'm not sure if I'll try in Defiance. I had a pretty bad experience of RP in GW2. The only natural sessions I managed to find and enjoy could be counted on two fingers. The rest of the time it just felt so stilted. Perhaps it was in part the setting. I had a great deal more fun on the Discovery mod for Freelancer. More freeform, integrated RP PvP and factional politics. Utterly dedicated to RP, so 95% of the people you came across ingame were RPing and each fit into the game world as a whole. I don't know. I guess I was spoilt.

So I ended up just writing fiction for my character Ensuhkesh instead. People seemed to enjoy reading it, so that was nice.

In short, I think I'll just relax and play the game. Maybe settle into some RP as it goes. And writing fiction? Almost a dead cert.

Lickintoad
03-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm a big roleplayer in my MMOs. Having played Defiance, though, I'm not sure the game is set up to really support that style. The chat system really needs to be reworked for the PC. It's great for consoles, I guess, but it's an abysmal interface for people used to gaming on a PC.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:02 PM
This is very true !:p

Cue dramatic death scene! :cool:

Zyvaks
03-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm a big roleplayer in my MMOs. Having played Defiance, though, I'm not sure the game is set up to really support that style. The chat system really needs to be reworked for the PC. It's great for consoles, I guess, but it's an abysmal interface for people used to gaming on a PC.

we'll find a way to have fun roleplaying

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:07 PM

Give it time, and you will see guides on the internet. Heck you can find basic guides/dictionaries for the WoW racial languages, as well as Sindarin (from LotR) and of course Klingon.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Nope!

It's true. In the 14 minute preview of the show, there is some Irathient(sp?) spoken, with subtitles.

N3C70V01D
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Not sure what role player in defiance really means.. :/

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Refer to it in the past tense. For example: "Did you ever see a picture/vid of that horrible dress made of meat? The one that Gaga lady wore?"

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I am a role player, but I will likely be a bit more casual until the show starts up and I can get a better sense of the setting. Using voice chat is out for me though; I spend far too much time while gaming cursing at my computer.

Ensu
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I am a role player, but I will likely be a bit more casual until the show starts up and I can get a better sense of the setting. Using voice chat is out for me though; I spend far too much time while gaming cursing at my computer.

Say... shtako instead? Possibly also haigi?

To the fellow looking for dictionaries. Here's the closest thing at present:
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Castithan_language
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Irathient_language
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Indojisnen

N3C70V01D
03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
That makes us 2 lol :D

Sakara
03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Say... shtako instead? Possibly also haigi?

Actually, it wasn't a problem with what to say; rather it was the frequency with which I tend to say them. Let's just say that my online gaming is generally not PG-13!:p

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Lol my only issue with voice chat rp's is im male but i usually play female characters XD

Xtheoneandonly
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Lol my only issue with voice chat rp's is im male but i usually play female characters XD

That is a problem for me as well, but the more prominent issue is character actions. You end up narrating it oddly, and it just feels awkward.

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
That is a problem for me as well, but the more prominent issue is character actions. You end up narrating it oddly, and it just feels awkward.

Exactly so i just stick with text rp :P

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
well i say if you want to rp in the world of defiance please by all means go for it. To each his own path must be laid to pave the way for a new.

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:49 PM
well i say if you want to rp in the world of defiance please by all means go for it. To each his own path must be laid to pave the way for a new. a wireless keyboard and a muted xbox headset sounds like the,right tools for the job XD

TheIrishWill
03-31-2013, 10:46 AM
So Im really new to all things roleplaying, but ever since I pre ordered Ive been quite interested in giving the whole roleplaying thing a shot! I dont suppose anyone knows of any good guilds to start with or even if anyone would like to play together? :)

FlamingNinja007
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
How would one RP on xbox?

adamaant
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I think that it's really cool that people are thinking about doing something like this. The game really needs a town or something that allows some social activity. I mean the show deals with a city called Defiance (Formally St. Louis). Shouldn't the game have some of that. Community building will be the best new thing they could add to this game. I want Defiance to succeed. We are going to have to make due with what we have and I like the idea of roleplaying.

Adlosini in game/adamaant on Steam.

Kard
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
I'd like to give it a shot, too. Seems like Defiance has so much of a world created around us, it'd be a shame to not properly become a part of it, as opposed to just being spectators with guns.

Ensu
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM
How would one RP on xbox?

In a similar manner to the way people RP in LARP, I would imagine. Costumes and voice.

Napalm Sunrise
04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
In a similar manner to the way people RP in LARP, I would imagine. Costumes and voice.

I was wondering this too. But now that you spelled it out for me, LOL. I guess different folks, different strokes....... O_O

Kard
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I was wondering this too. But now that you spelled it out for me, LOL. I guess different folks, different strokes....... O_O

Bah, couldn't be too hard. At the very least, it'd be fun to speak in character, neh? I've already taken the first steps: learning and compiling all the Votan swear words.

Ensu
04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Sometimes, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU) LARP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bst-K65RpI) is badass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flz5_JDGI3Q).

Ryaad
04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
I will be once
A.) Communication gets a bit better, it's doable right now but I still think it's awkward at the moment
B.) I can change my race to an Irathiant. I rather dislike my human after having to put up with his ugly mug for so long.

Tharcion
04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd like to RP in this game. Yes I would. Doing so presents challenges, mostly since I think we'll be playing against the game rather than helped by it, but it'd be nice to bring my character to life outside of writing fiction about her.

Barring that, I'll just write fiction. Hopefully someone will read it. (And then I can get a contract writing Defiance novelizations, quit my job, and be a happy man... or not.)