PDA

View Full Version : Defiance IS great, BUT is it just me or does it not "feel" like a actual MMO

Synder
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
I do love the game, And enjoying it 100%! But it feels more like a open world standard shooter, than a MMO. Im 3/5 of the way through the main story chapters, and not had to team up once to complete any mission. Yes Arkfalls require several people, but those can ge skipped entirely, until Im assuming/hoping the "end game".

Lets HOPE there is "end game" content that starts to feel more like a actual traditional MMO, rather than a standard 3rd person shooter. Im hoping the "story" is a training to get prepared for where the real game actually starts, the "end game content"( several MMO's do this I am aware. DCUO Im looking at you lol)

Now,dont get me wrong, I LOVE the game, I bought the Ultimate Edtion in fact! I dont want a rinse and repeat of the same old MMO style of play. But as a several year veteran of other MMO's, There are certain things that are expected, and it doesnt have the same "feel" as they did.

The sheer volume of people at Arkfalls IS nice, but thats not the same as being required to go questing with a large group to go after a raid's end boss, or instance etc.( or get slaughtered lol) I will be playing this game for a very long time to come, and hope it does very well. Im assuming this will be addressed with future DLC packs. Thsi is my First Trion game, so Im not sure what to expect from them, other than the quality they are known for. But as it stands right now, What are your guys thoughts?

Saraya
04-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I do love the game, but it feels more like a open world standard shooter, than a MMO. Im 3/5 of the way through the main story chapters, and not had to team up once to complete any mission. Yes Arkfalls require several people, but those can ge skipped entirely, until Im assuming/hoping the "end game".

Lets HOPE there is "end game" content that starts to feel more like a actual traditional MMO, rather than a standard 3rd person shooter. Now,dont get me wrong, I LOVE the game, I bought the Ultitmate Edtion in fact! I dont want a rinse and repeat of the same old MMO style of play. But as a several year veteran of other MMO's, There are certain things that are expected, and it doesnt have the same "feel" as they did.

The sheer volume of people at Arkfalls IS nice, but thats not the same as questing with a large group to go after a raid's end boss, or instance etc.I will be playing this gmae for a very long time to come, and hope it does very well. Im assuming this will be addressed with future DLC packs. But as it stands right now, What are your guys thoughts?

To put this into perspective, Firefall lacks a lot of the linear/driven PVE content that will come later and for that reason IT feels like an open world shooter. Defiance on the other hand simply lacks content and polish, which is a lot considering that they didn't have to make a full in-depth MMORPG. Rather they made a MMOTPS(the new buzzword for 'lacking quality').

If you want a shooter with RPG elements and more grand scale 'end game' type interactions then play Firefall or Fallen Earth.

So far Defiance is a lesser version of Borderlands with a larger online playerbase.
It's also a cash cow project to additionally help support the television show.

Whistler
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I'd heard form the beginning that this game was an MMOTPS. It satisfies the MMO aspect, in that, there are more people outside of your home playing in the same space as you, and the TPS aspect is evident because of the game play. I'm actually quite pleased that I don't necessarily "have" to seek out people in order to progress through my character's missions. Some of us are loners. ;)

zerothelastaeon
04-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Game dev said in dev diary said its a shooter first then a mmo

ultimt1
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
i think this gives you a better idea of what to expect--->http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?7096-A-bit-of-advice-for-players!

Synder
04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
To put this into perspective, Firefall lacks a lot of the linear/driven PVE content that will come later and for that reason IT feels like an open world shooter. Defiance on the other hand simply lacks content and polish, which is a lot considering that they didn't have to make a full in-depth MMORPG. Rather they made a MMOTPS(the new buzzword for 'lacking quality').

If you want a shooter with RPG elements and more grand scale 'end game' type interactions then play Firefall or Fallen Earth. S

So far Defiance is a lesser version of Borderlands with a larger online playerbase.
It's also a cash cow project to additionally help support the television show.

Granted there is DLC coming, but to me at least. the one issue that NEEDS to be addressed ASAP is.. they REALLY messed up by making the "classes" have ZERO to do with the actual toon, or abilites at all. THAT is a BIG mistake in a MMO. ( 3rd person shooter or not) Standard FPS games have various classes that actualy make a difference, and have benefits of being that class.

Granted this isnt a MMORPG, BUT.. why even bother to place a "class" into the game, if shortly after the starting weapon you get by chooisng the "class", and its appearance will be replaced? I LOVE the game, but it needs tweaking. Im sure they aimed to make a hybrid, and it works well. BUT it needs more "meat" in the MMO department for sure. Hoping that is where the Season pass comes into play.

As it stands, I love the game, couldnt be happier with it! I think its great, and trying to bring over leaguemates from the DCUO league I ran for years. Yes its different, is that bad? NO, but to satisfy the MMO fans, just give us a bit more depth. The shooter fans would benefit from this as well.

thejx4
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
"open world online shooter"

Saraya
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
I'd heard form the beginning that this game was an MMOTPS. It satisfies the MMO aspect, in that, there are more people outside of your home playing in the same space as you, and the TPS aspect is evident because of the game play. I'm actually quite pleased that I don't necessarily "have" to seek out people in order to progress through my character's missions. Some of us are loners. ;)

Pretty much sums it up. This game would be even worse if your were group dependent and it turned into a social loitering fest.

Sludge
04-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I play the game on my PS3, so I don't compare it to other PC MMOs, but you have to keep in mind that this game is not meant to be the same as WoW, which is why they're not calling it an MMORPG. Look at games like Battlefield, where your progression is seen in your own increase in skill, as well as unlocking new guns and gadgets. Defiance is fusing an unlock system like Battlefield has with MMORPG elements (skill tree, unlocking abilities).

When you take it out of the MMORPG tree and put it with the other big shooters (Battlefield, Planetside, Firefall) it tends to stand up quite a bit better, even in its current state. Is it the absolute best game that has ever come? Probably not. It is an MMO? Sure. And is it a good MMO? I'd say it has the potential to be.

Saraya
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Granted there is DLC coming

That in itself sounds wrong in regards to MMO - DLC conjurs up all kinds of resentment as it's usually content that should have been available when it released but wasn't.

..the one issue that NEEDS to be addressed ASAP is.. they REALLY messed up by making the "classes" have ZERO to do with the actual toon, or abilites at all. THAT is a BIG mistake in a MMO. ( 3rd person shooter or not) Standard FPS games have various classes that actualy make a difference, and have benefits of being that class.

Options and variety are always unique selling points, especially in games. Technically though there are classes, as perking everything is not only unobtainable yet it's also wasted. People will pick a certain rage of perks applied directly across a handful of loadouts, for use in specific situations. In that sense they are preparing a class for particular roles.

Sounds focused enough to me, yet was built around options first. When you pigeon hole early, it often fails.

mcwjimbo
04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
the chat system is the only thing that detracts from the MMO feel

Synder
04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
I play the game on my PS3, so I don't compare it to other PC MMOs, but you have to keep in mind that this game is not meant to be the same as WoW, which is why they're not calling it an MMORPG. Look at games like Battlefield, where your progression is seen in your own increase in skill, as well as unlocking new guns and gadgets. Defiance is fusing an unlock system like Battlefield has with MMORPG elements (skill tree, unlocking abilities).

When you take it out of the MMORPG tree and put it with the other big shooters (Battlefield, Planetside, Firefall) it tends to stand up quite a bit better, even in its current state. Is it the absolute best game that has ever come? Probably not. It is an MMO? Sure. And is it a good MMO? I'd say it has the potential to be.

But even in BF, the classes MAKE a difference, here they have zero bearing at all. I agree this game DOES have alot of potential. Hoping it gets more depth added to it. Because if not, Im 3/5 chapters completed on the story mode, and if there is not "end game" content, This will be the SHORTEST MMO I've ever played lol. And to that effect, ALOT of people will walk away once they have nothing else to do.

And lets face if, you can only do SO many side missions before a game gets old. I personaly want this game to last for years to come. Thats why im hoping for alot more "depth" added in soon.

Also FIX the chat and the inspect feature! That thing RARELY worked even in the old build of the Beta. Ive gotten inspect to work ONCE in at least a hundred attempts, seriously.

Saraya
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Potential sure, but only if they give it half the care that RIFT got after six months in.
This is why Firefall is refreshing. Their connection to the community is priceless.
I've even had Mark Kern on the telephone.

Something tells me though that Trion will pull development/support to throw at marketing to inevitably prop up the show.

the chat system is the only thing that detracts from the MMO feel
The minimal chat system is the only thing making this game worth while.

mcwjimbo
04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

LOL ok, my iggy lists in other MMO's are long :-P and yeah not being aware of the tons of dribble that can occur in a chat is cool BUT received tons of thanx yesterday and sent them out during missions and it didnt seem to flow as easily as other games in thanking or responding to people. maybe with time, will seem to flow more as i get used to the chat system

Saraya
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
LOL ok, my iggy lists in other MMO's are long :-P and yeah not being aware of the tons of dribble that can occur in a chat is cool BUT received tons of thanx yesterday and sent them out during missions and it didnt seem to flow as easily as other games in thanking or responding to people. maybe with time, will seem to flow more as i get used to the chat system

Emotes seemed to be working - I forgot they were even in.
Wondered why people were complaining but then it occured to me what they wanted was a full suite of a-typical emotes so they could do that weird role playing sh!t that people think is still cool.

Anyways, communication in-game has been fine as far as PUGs are concerned because it's all self explanitory and if you MUST say something (forget the mic for a minute), you can chat and they will see it (if they aren't blind or not paying attention, which admittedly most of these players don't...I'm finding people in these types of half assed MMOs are terrible and have no sense of what's going on around them).

I bet if everyone had access to a few friends and Skype or Teamspeak; they'd never talk about a chat box again - unless of course they are socialites who want to turn this game into RuneScape or Second Life.

Bobbyieboy
04-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah i have to agree with some of the others that have noted the fact about this game. It is a FPS first and a MMO second. This differs from the MMORPG idea in that the MMO is first and the RPG is second for them. This is a FPS with a MMO aspect to it. It is what they had said it would be. It might not be for everyone tho.

cfStatic
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
First let me say that (and I'm not saying you, specifically) a lot of people tend to associate MMO with MMORPG. Defiance is not an MMORPG. It's an MMOTPS. So things that would be in a traditional mmorpg(raids, end game, etc) might not be in Defiance. End game is there though, lots of pursuits, co-op maps, faction grinding etc etc. Just no raids, but you could say that Arkfalls are just like really simple open world ones.

I made a thread similar to this one yesterday. The world really feels vacant without a good world chat going on in the background or without seeing other people for sometimes hours at a time unless I happen upon a vendor. Maybe I'm just ahead of a bunch of people(I hope not, I've been taking my time!) and it will fix itself later, at this point though I can only hope. :(

Wolf
04-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd rather play this than Fallen Earth. That game is bloody awful!

Nuggz
04-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I think the chat lacks on console because not many people have keyboards for it. I myself do, and tried talking to a few ppl on 360 and got no response or an emote.

Zraxus
04-05-2013, 02:20 AM
i think its more of a problem of what ppl EXPECTED vs what the game is. if you did any research into this game you would have known it was going to be like this. it has been clearly stated many times that you CAN group up to play the game or do it solo. the reason ppl are not grouping up is frankly the gaming community sucks these days. look around the forums, or any forums for that matter. look at the general chat in 90% of games out there. its all the same tools whining and name calling any more. im not at all surprised ppl would rather solo what they can vs dealing with some 'epeen' from some random tool.

outside of arks and coops/pvp i personally solo what i can. there is enough questing with ppl who are on the same objectives as me to satisfy my need for grouping. the whole 'i want something new' claims by the community is again being replaced by 'but it has to be the same as (insert mmo)'.

HansKisaragi
04-05-2013, 02:23 AM
This is not your everyday generic MMO.

It may feel different but its certenly a MMO.

Dixa
04-05-2013, 02:45 AM
That in itself sounds wrong in regards to MMO - DLC conjurs up all kinds of resentment as it's usually content that should have been available when it released but wasn't.

are you new to the genre?

sub based mmo's give you constant content for your sub until a paid expac lands.

f2p and b2p mmo's ask you to pay 10-15 dollars for the equivalent of a content-adding major wow patch.

this is the model that works and lets companies actually make money on their games.

Daddums
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM
It's a solo game that happens to have other players sharing your space.

I'm actually cool with that. In fact- I wish my missions weren't half finished when I get there because 3 other guys have cleaned up all the mobs for me.

Good thing I can no longer expect a drop from the mini-bosses thanks to the recent nerf. I might be upset about the "ghost town" instances caused by the other players.

rephlexx
04-05-2013, 04:52 AM
i am referring to the second paragraph of your thread. what exactly is new in this game? As gaming goes? or, say, better?
There is the idea of integrating the game and the show, which made me buy this game at an expensive price, very, expensive price..

i am a strategy/rpg gamer, a big sci fi fan.. and used to be quite a gamer.. i didnt play many mmo- games actually.. recently i played planetside 2 and inevitable up comparing this with PS2.. which i enjoyed a lot but dropped because of the annoying pay system...boy they are greedy.

i think i am suffering from this feeling of players feeling likes ghosts.. PS2 is not an MMORPG for sure.. yet, you really had to, wanted to, needed to interact with other players...

this game doesnt feel like, i am playing "with" other 1000 players.... it feels like im playing "at the same time|" with 1000 people.. we pass through each other, in flying vehicles, firing bullets flying through each other.. is that "normal"? was i supposed to expect that from before buying this?

i like the world but simply, this is a single player game with some chaos..

Kestrell
04-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Like the idea of the game but I feel like I'm playing a single player game with other people playing the same single player game.

The only times there's any interaction is if I happen to be on the same 'quest' or event as the person, they PEW PEW PEW everything and run off. There's also no real stragety (yeah yeah I know, shot the bug in the ***) for a shooter...its all run in guns blazing, **** exploding. Yawn.

Besides Arkfalls, you could get to max EGO and never need to deal with a single person for anything, ever. At least in BF3 you're on a team and have sort of an objective, move towards it and communicate. Here you are practically on your own with no real need for anyone else. I SEE people....they're just there though; there's no purpose to any of you being there with how this game plays - I see this as a gigantic problem and something that will shorten the lifespan of this game.

Kind of disappointing that they go through the trouble of making an MMO, and have it act as a single player game.

Zraxus
04-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Like the idea of the game but I feel like I'm playing a single player game with other people playing the same single player game.

The only times there's any interaction is if I happen to be on the same 'quest' or event as the person, they PEW PEW PEW everything and run off. There's also no real stragety (yeah yeah I know, shot the bug in the ***) for a shooter...its all run in guns blazing, **** exploding. Yawn.

Besides Arkfalls, you could get to max EGO and never need to deal with a single person for anything, ever. At least in BF3 you're on a team and have sort of an objective, move towards it and communicate. Here you are practically on your own with no real need for anyone else. I SEE people....they're just there though; there's no purpose to any of you being there with how this game plays - I see this as a gigantic problem and something that will shorten the lifespan of this game.

Kind of disappointing that they go through the trouble of making an MMO, and have it act as a single player game.

personally i like it. you have the option to group if you want. all those wanting more grouping can do so and those who want to be left alone can be. its actually a nice mix. people are just ignoring the truth that is staring them in the face. despite saying ppl want to group they clearly for the most part dont or arent willing to find/create a group if they do. if that wasnt the case, this wouldnt be a thread. the gaming community as a whole has created this situation, for the most part ppl play to have fun. the gaming community as whole seems to bring more negativity than fun and thus ppl are avoiding it more and more all the time.

Dinova
04-05-2013, 05:17 AM
This is not your everyday generic MMO.

It may feel different but its certenly a MMO.
People should get their head out of their behinds and stop thinking this is your avarage joe WoW-clone.

Not untill you have played equaly theme games (both settings as gameplay), it is an entire new aspect within the MMO-gaming.

Each game chooses certain aspects of the MMO elements to focus on, and this has NOTHING to do with the RPG-factor many believe is part of MMO, some choose to make channels where a max of 50-100 players can be in and fight against eachother over and over, while others choose a massive world where people are so scattered across the world, you hardly ever see someone.

The basics of Defiance seem to be Tabula meets Borderlands, a story driven multiplayer shooter with MMO capabilities. Not a 'level up, get gear and raid' system (like WoW), not a 'fully focused PVP with harldy no stats' (like APB), not a 'this might look like a open world but actualy its all instance based' system (vindictus and alike).

And that is what is different with examples like BF3, BF3 is a PVP-game, you NEED a team to even play the game. APB is equal, its fully PVP. Borderlands can be finished without ever going online or even go local co-op, a singleplayer game with multiplayer support.

At the end, this game is just released, they probably have tons of stuff to add. Just like Rift, it eventualy worked out, they did get housing, trading, mailing and matchmaking, it all worked out in the end. The core/basics of Defiance are pretty solid, they have tons of stuff they could possible do within the game.

Fiancee
04-05-2013, 05:17 AM
It lacks atmosphere big time. I was thinking maybe they should add social hubs for NPCs and players, add some NPC yells etc, like "hey come get some cheap fish!" or some child crying.. Go figure. Also I thik they should add that radio-station thing, you would hear something while you're driving.

Dont get me wrong Im loving it, and if TW delivers content as fast they did in Rift, Im here to stay.

Ralifur
04-05-2013, 05:42 AM
It doesnt have your generic trio as in any mmo which both limits and opens up for different kinds of possibilities. This is a little bit of a new way to engage the genre. I am personally hoping trion will pull it off properly.

Atleast be happy about the fact there is no p2p so its a game u can take a break from and return later when new stuff shows up and give it a bit of time before you pick up from where you left it.

I am well aware that when people hear the word mmorpg nowadays they want a game which they can play for a year or 2 but you still have to remember the sum of money you pay in comparison to the content you expect to recieve.

So far this game has pretty much just as much content to offer as a generic shooter and still a little more. It will keep you occupied for quite a while and especially if you wanna aim for max level and maxing out your achievs and what not. And to top it off there is no monthly subscription. :-D

Lack of a current proper chat might make it feel a bit barren tho. It would be nice with a global chat so people can create a community of talking instead of acting like everyone is a mute. :-P

I Suppose the lack of interactive services like a bank or auction house or mail system might also make it differ from the mmo that you are thinking about.

On another note I also wanna say that i mentioned mmorpg where this is more just a mmotps with a big focus on the shooting part. What usually keeps a shooter alive these days is amazing multiplayer where people face off against each other and have a blast.

Also after you followed that carrot on a stick till the end you should grab the carrot and eat it and then plot your own course afterwards. the game gets alot more fun when you actually percieve goals of your own rather than follow the set goals made by trion themselves.

I will finish this post and agree with what fiancee writes tho. If TW delivers content as fast as they did in rift then I am also here to stay but generally I just want what we have to be properly fixed up and then break loose on alot of multiplayer and then enjoy the content as it gets released. :-)

CookingWithGuns
04-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Yeah it is missing a bit of that MMO feel, however want to know a shocking piece of information.

It is more of an MMO than Guild Wars :eek::eek:

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 06:31 AM
while Ive played better MMOs it at least does a better job at being an MMO that dust 514 does.. and for everyoen saying "it snot an mmorpg so it doesnt have those things" etc etc umm DC Universe isnt an MMORPG either (umm with gameplay liek that? definitely not an rpg lol) yet it had group content, raids, endgame et etc

But to teh OP... the reason why you dont have to group isnt because of Defiance it self its because of these days MMOs have become stupidly casual to get more ppl to play them and make more money as opopsed to havibng just a small hardcore community... for example everquest 2 and WoW ARE MMORPGs but look at how much stuff on those games are easily sooable.. unliek lets say final Fantasy XI where (before abyssea) if you didnt have a group you coudlnt even level up past level 1900 let alone do anything else that didnt consist of ;eveling

Justs
04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Unfortunately that is the way it is. Since the progression has no real depth or reason, the game will most likely go F2P in a matter of months.

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately that is the way it is. Since the progression has no real depth or reason, the game will most likely go F2P in a matter of months.

explain "no real depth" also plenty of games with progression that has "no real depth" still arent free to play anc Im sure they wouldnt mak eteh game fre eto play in "months" after ppl spent so much money on it, even DCUO waited a year before they went F2P

CookingWithGuns
04-05-2013, 06:44 AM

I doubt it, since the game is meant to grow (for free) with the show. New missions, map areas, etc...

Schiefer
04-05-2013, 07:08 AM

WoW has no real depth, it has 5 expansion packs, has been out nearly 10 years now, and has 10 million subs. explain to me your logic.

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
WoW has no real depth, it has 5 expansion packs, has been out nearly 10 years now, and has 10 million subs. explain to me your logic.

when you level up in wow you feel and get stronger and you can play aroudn with different builds and no two rogues will play the same.. wheeras I cant say that about Defiance... I feel no stronger or better at 200 ego when I was at 0, you dont find better weapons laying around, etc etc

Saraya
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah it is missing a bit of that MMO feel, however want to know a shocking piece of information.

It is more of an MMO than Guild Wars :eek::eek:

Someone rush to end game too fast all the while conveniently forgetting it was a PVP oriented game?
GW2 is one of the top ten MMORPG ever made. The polish on it a launch rivals that of RIFT in it's mature form.

It lacks atmosphere big time.

Actually, it has a lot of atmosphere - particularly one of a broken planet in a future where small camps of survivors, hunters and military coincide. It can be eerily quiet at times, and also very surreal.

I was thinking maybe they should add social hubs for NPCs and players

Uh no we don't want social hubs. This game isn't about loitering and hanging out.

, add some NPC yells etc, like "hey come get some cheap fish!" or some child crying..

Ambience is always welcome - it does add to atmosphere, though I was thinking more like wild animals (and their noises), more rustling of flora and trees, wind, thunder, rain etc.

ironhands
04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
I'd rather play this than Fallen Earth. That game is bloody awful!

second that lol

Fallen Earth looked nice when I first saw it, but wow, so bloody boring. might be different if i found a clan or something, but there's absolutely no mood/atmosphere to it. defiance definitely keeps the action going better.

it certainly doesn't feel like an MMO, because there's nothing like it for the most part, they're going a different route than fallen earth/wow/rift.

Gohlar
04-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Once the game has a proper chat window/channels it will go a long way to making it feel more like an mmo.

ironhands
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Uh no we don't want social hubs. This game isn't about loitering and hanging out.

I would personally like to see a social hub. Often it's the people, not the actual game, that keeps your interest. having a social hub makes it easier to find guilds and people who work with your play style. It also has the advantage of having a place to show off your new gear/vehicles, and outfits/titles you might have earned.

Granted, the forums are a social hub right now, great place to recruit for your guild/clan, but one in-game would be nice.

Saraya
04-05-2013, 07:46 AM
second that lol

Fallen Earth looked nice when I first saw it, but wow, so bloody boring. might be different if i found a clan or something, but there's absolutely no mood/atmosphere to it.

When did you start playing? I was around since the beginning and it was a better game back then system and mechanics wise. However regardless, it's a very self sufficient style game - which is what I enjoyed most and it certainly fits the atmosphere/theme/lore.

It also worked out well when the initial population died down. Not having to depend on others helps.

Anyways, I logged in these past few months and really enjoy playing it again. I get my alone time, though lots of community things happening which I never experienced before in the game, even at max level.

Still, Defiance is a nice medium between Fallen Earth and Firefall.

I would personally like to see a social hub. Often it's the people, not the actual game, that keeps your interest. having a social hub makes it easier to find guilds and people who work with your play style. It also has the advantage of having a place to show off your new gear/vehicles, and outfits/titles you might have earned.

Granted, the forums are a social hub right now, great place to recruit for your guild/clan, but one in-game would be nice.

Sounds like you just are one of those types that can't play alone. The problem is you want the game to cater to you in a way that's unnecessary e.g. a more elongated chat system(nothing wrong with the current one though), as opposed to you finding a clan to get on Teamspeak with - which is a benefit to everyone.

Once the game has a proper chat window/channels it will go a long way to making it feel more like an mmo.

You're welcome to draw up a proposal to the developers detailing first what a "proper chat window/channels" is, and then why implementing it would actually help the game.

Cqcnastyn8
04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I do love the game, And enjoying it 100%! But it feels more like a open world standard shooter, than a MMO. Im 3/5 of the way through the main story chapters, and not had to team up once to complete any mission. Yes Arkfalls require several people, but those can ge skipped entirely, until Im assuming/hoping the "end game".

Lets HOPE there is "end game" content that starts to feel more like a actual traditional MMO, rather than a standard 3rd person shooter. Im hoping the "story" is a training to get prepared for where the real game actually starts, the "end game content"( several MMO's do this I am aware. DCUO Im looking at you lol)

Now,dont get me wrong, I LOVE the game, I bought the Ultimate Edtion in fact! I dont want a rinse and repeat of the same old MMO style of play. But as a several year veteran of other MMO's, There are certain things that are expected, and it doesnt have the same "feel" as they did.

The sheer volume of people at Arkfalls IS nice, but thats not the same as being required to go questing with a large group to go after a raid's end boss, or instance etc.( or get slaughtered lol) I will be playing this game for a very long time to come, and hope it does very well. Im assuming this will be addressed with future DLC packs. Thsi is my First Trion game, so Im not sure what to expect from them, other than the quality they are known for. But as it stands right now, What are your guys thoughts?

I agree with you. I made a thread like this as well. I see no point in classes. At this point im more excited for the show then the game. Ive been playing and im already bored. Its a mission then side mission.. Everyone is the same and its getting old already. Needs more MMO elements to it to be honest. Im starting to regret buying game. Guess i'll wait for DESTINY

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I agree with you. I made a thread like this as well. I see no point in classes. At this point im more excited for the show then the game. Ive been playing and im already bored. Its a mission then side mission.. Everyone is the same and its getting old already. Needs more MMO elements to it to be honest. Im starting to regret buying game. Guess i'll wait for DESTINY

lol you know Destiny isnt an MMO right? its a single player game with Demon/Dark Souls like elements (i.e players can come into your game a d help you out or attack you)

Bungie even said its not an MMO

thejx4
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
lol you know Destiny isnt an MMO right? its a single player game with Demon/Dark Souls like elements (i.e players can come into your game a d help you out or attack you)

Bungie even said its not an MMO

They system is nothing like Demon Souls. Other players are ALWAYS there. They called it a "shared world shooter" and they way they explained it, it's basically Defiance, just with a smaller amount of players in your world.

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
They system is nothing like Demon Souls. Other players are ALWAYS there. They called it a "shared world shooter" and they way they explained it, it's basically Defiance, just with a smaller amount of players in your world.

but defiance is an mmo bungie specifically said "destiny is NOT an mmo" thus its not "defiance with a smaller amount of players"

Newbsaibot
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Trion has a great game.

The lack of chat bubbles and area/local chat shows poor foresight for the PC market. Just because xbox/ps3 use voice communication and have no means to type, it's not an excuse to cripple the PC market.

TORtanic made the same mistake and you've decided that's your role model for the community. Sort it out ASAP.

The ability to type to players while you run over things would be half the fun of this game. You've completely removed that and instead we have 'silence of the lambs' the mmo single player game.

KSC
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Here's hoping it never becomes like a traditional MMO. If I ever login to find myself sitting in a large city doing absolutely nothing, next to a bunch of other players doing absolutely nothing, I'm done.

Mog
04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
The game is a MMO. What is the definition of a MMO:

- A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

Keyword in the definition is persistent world. Defiance has a persistent world with large numbers of players being able to interact with one another in real time.

So yeah by definition Defiance is an MMO.

Newbsaibot
04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
The game is a MMO. What is the definition of a MMO:

- A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

Keyword in the definition is persistent world. Defiance has a persistent world with large numbers of players being able to interact with one another in real time.

So yeah by definition Defiance is an MMO.

Except they're not currently interacting with each other because nobody notices somebody spoke. Chat bubbles would fix this.

At least they can give us the option to have them and turn them off by default (for the console market). That way, those who want them can turn them on.

DustOfDeath
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
... even BF3 or cod actually feels more like mmo - more cooperation, visible names, chat etc feels more live -_- Several days of gameplay and iv yet to feel any mmo feeling - it feels kind of like playing some red faction/fallout or smthing like that.

ironhands
04-05-2013, 12:32 PM
When did you start playing? I was around since the beginning and it was a better game back then system and mechanics wise. However regardless, it's a very self sufficient style game - which is what I enjoyed most and it certainly fits the atmosphere/theme/lore.

Sounds like you just are one of those types that can't play alone. The problem is you want the game to cater to you in a way that's unnecessary e.g. a more elongated chat system(nothing wrong with the current one though), as opposed to you finding a clan to get on Teamspeak with - which is a benefit to everyone.

I can't recall, it was probably about 16 months ago, maybe it was when it was first added to steam? I really can't be sure since I don't remember when it was actually launched.

I actually prefer to play alone for the most part in MMOs, but often there's only so far you can go alone. I find my interest waning in them after a few months. The thing that kept me logging into Everquest nightly for so long was the endgame raids with people I knew.

A bigger chat window would help those who don't want to use teamspeak, or don't want to join a clan and just want to talk to someone nearby, or say "thanks" to someone who just revived you. They might miss it in the current chat window. Really though, an MMO, by nature of what it is, should cater to the social aspects to some degree. The MMO creates a community of players and friends, and this encourages them to continue playing just as much as additional conent. To some degree, the other players in the game ARE content. Why create the game as an MMO, without catering to some sort of in-game social hub? Nothing as extreme as a speedo wearing atrox looping /flamenco of course, but a bar/lobby somewhere that could facilitate people who do want to play with others.

ironhands
04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
but defiance is an mmo bungie specifically said "destiny is NOT an mmo" thus its not "defiance with a smaller amount of players"

things is they might be trying to say "it's not quest based" don't get everyone started on another definition of MMORPG thread lol

JMadFour
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
hrm.

looks like the Firefall Fan Brigade has begun to descend on Defiance.

No room in the MMO world for more than one MMO Shooter. Must Attack The Other Game!

DuoMaxwell007
04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
things is they might be trying to say "it's not quest based" don't get everyone started on another definition of MMORPG thread lol

quests based? to me an MMO is a game that has a huge open world where thousands of players can exist on the same area or world at the same time....

Destiny wont have that so... yeah not an MMO

Newbsaibot
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
... even BF3 or cod actually feels more like mmo - more cooperation, visible names, chat etc feels more live -_- Several days of gameplay and iv yet to feel any mmo feeling - it feels kind of like playing some red faction/fallout or smthing like that.

That's exactly how I feel. It's as though I'm playing the campaign mode of call Of Duty.

Chat bubbles, area/local chat. These should be non-negotiable.

Festival
04-05-2013, 12:49 PM

As someone who invariably disables global chat in any game I play (unless I can't...then I probably don't play that game long), I can only remark that this illustrates just how different two gamers' priorities can be!

I transitioned from being almost exclusively a shooter player to playing almost nothing but MMORPGs about eight years ago. My one regret over that change was that the latter type of game tended to have combat systems I didn't much care fore ("build wars" being more important than real-time player skill in most of them...and I detest tab-to-target), but Fallen Earth bridged that gap well for me, despite its warts. I'm social in games...but generally only with people I've gotten to know. Moreover, being a bit of an "immersion junkie," the non-stop inane babbling in most global chat channels is something I find completely unacceptable. So I turn that shtako off...

Defiance pushes a lot of the same buttons for me as Fallen Earth, but with the balance more over on the shooter side (in FE, it's more on the RPG side, but with real targeting, etc.).

ironhands
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
quests based? to me an MMO is a game that has a huge open world where thousands of players can exist on the same area or world at the same time....

Destiny wont have that so... yeah not an MMO

yes, I agree, but to others, MMO means auctionhouse, crafting hall, etc, and I think that's what they're trying to escape, but let's not get into a definition thread

does destiny not plan on having lots of players on at one time? I haven't checked up on it, but last I had seen it was lots of players running around in a single persistent world

Kitten Mittons
04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
The game has a very close feel to Borderlands in my opinion. With a bit of Gears of War mixed in, maybe? I usually hate to make these comparisons, but I feel like there are a LOT of parallels.

I agree that it doesn't have a strong feeling of being online, Aside from the Arkfalls. But even then there's not a terrible amount of cooperation and interaction, just other people who could just as easily be NPCs (albeit competent ones) shooting at the same targets you are. This could be alleviated by a good chat system, which to my understanding they are working on, no?
A global chat might give people the sense that there are other human beings in their world, but given the state of these forums it might get real ugly...

ironhands
04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
lol that's why lots turn off the global chat. first thing I do. if it's not happening right beside me, or in my clan, i don't care :P

CookingWithGuns
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Someone rush to end game too fast all the while conveniently forgetting it was a PVP oriented game?
GW2 is one of the top ten MMORPG ever made. The polish on it a launch rivals that of RIFT in it's mature form.

Except the Guild Wars series aren't technically MMOs and don't have to deal with the technical headaches that MMOs need to so no surprise it was a better launch.

DustOfDeath
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
i dont care about those other mmorpg stuffs ppl ask for - i just want the mmo part of it - CHAT and names(so player actually looks liek a player not another mob in the wild).

dirtyklingon
04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
"tradiotnall mmo"

aka wow clone

aka the cancer in this genre.

defiance may be lacking in many regards.

but it does not need a wow clone endgame. nor does every/any other game.

games have been banging their heads on the wow clone model for 8 years and failining miserably every other time.

if that's what you want as a player, there are so many games that offer that. why not go play them?

is i trealyl so hard to imagine this genre as more than just dungeon gear grinding over and over again every night for shinies that increase your stats 1% per piece?

icubro
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I've got more hours of fun out of Defiance than I have BS: I, so there's that.

Swarm
04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
simply it is a mmo in the simplest sense of the word. not mmorpg where there are classes, gear progression, and certain classes can do certain things.

DuoMaxwell007
04-06-2013, 08:05 AM
"tradiotnall mmo"

aka wow clone

aka the cancer in this genre.

defiance may be lacking in many regards.

but it does not need a wow clone endgame. nor does every/any other game.

games have been banging their heads on the wow clone model for 8 years and failining miserably every other time.

if that's what you want as a player, there are so many games that offer that. why not go play them?

is i trealyl so hard to imagine this genre as more than just dungeon gear grinding over and over again every night for shinies that increase your stats 1% per piece?

yeah because WoW is not only old but it was the first MMO so it definitely is what the standards of a "tradionl mmo" shoudl be.. umm no

Ill stick to everquest clones as my "traditional mmos" you know bck when mmos wer hard core, took a long time to achieve things, required some degree of skill and strategy, and felt hug sense of accomplishment when you finally did beat or get what it was you were after. lolWoW

Oh an you actually had to play with/depend on other to get things done.. what tshe point of an MMO if i can solo everything... I may as well play my single player games..