PDA

View Full Version : A simple question for the devs....

Misterblunt
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I have one simple question. Do you honestly think this game is going to be bigger than the Star Wars franchise? Is this show going to be so fresh and amazing that the fanbase will become so large that this is going to be the next "must have" game? I mean really, come on. B2P is an outdated model and you are setting yourself up for failure. If Bioware and George Lucas couldn't make this obsolete pay structure work what makes you think this will succeed? This show/game combo is destined to fail if you think charging people $60 dollars for an unproven concept will fly. I had high hopes for this whole thing, until I played the beta. Take a look at the market, the hottest games right now are all F2P with cash shops. Get with the times or you guys are going to collapse shortly after release... I wish you the best of luck, you are going to need it.

Primus Palus
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I think buy to play is a great system. Star Wars: The Old Republic was not only buy to play but subscription based for a while before it now went free to play. They couldn't make it work because they lost a ton of subscriptions to lack of end game content, bugs, etc. Their biggest seller was voice overs and they got old the second conversation when it was, "Yak, yak, yak" for fifteen minutes.

But no, I think it's fair to say this game wont have as many subscribers as TOR. But, it's possible given Rifts success which was also pay to play and has done really well.

To think that this game and most others wont eventually go free to play (no initial purchase necessary), isn't a huge stretch of the imagination. But they'll do fine with the current model.

Halcyon
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Honestly, I would of bought Star Wars at launch if it didn't have the subscription. I was talking with friends and they concluded that it's pointless to pay full price for a game you only get to play for a month. Having it B2P with some ingame purchases that don't negatively affect the game is great. It's the way it should be, they get money to support the development from the sales of the games, and an ingame store fixes the server costs.

Yooji
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
please enlighten me, what F2P games are hot right now?

*Please say Tera, please say Tera*

edit: btw. when a game goes from B2P/P2P to F2P, that's called crisis management. let it go through your head.

Dead_Phoenix
02-06-2013, 01:55 PM
i have to give it you live up to your name misterblunt :) you say star wars couldnt do and so it wont work, i say to you guild wars 2 and rift off the top of my head, MASSIVLY successfuly both very recently doing the exact same business model.

star wars is a tired brand, the game was full of bugs, no end game and i have to admit playing i was bored out of my mind within a few hours. they have milked the poor thing to death that now i see another star wars game and think "oh ok". they have done some good games, force unleashed for one, but thats not to do with them being star wars, but damn good games, set them in another universe and i would still thing it would be as good.

Kaoslion
02-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Swtor just never got the mechanics of it right. It was a fun game the first play through. But after that the voice overs became lame. The mirrored job class's were very unimaginative. Its like with all the stuns in it the resolve didn't work right and they wanted you to keep paying for it. Swtor was a great idea that just didn't have dev backing to keep it going.

Primus Palus
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Swtor just never got the mechanics of it right. It was a fun game the first play through. But after that the voice overs became lame. The mirrored job class's were very unimaginative. Its like with all the stuns in it the resolve didn't work right and they wanted you to keep paying for it. Swtor was a great idea that just didn't have dev backing to keep it going.

I think it had great dev backing, and even better financial backing. Unfortunately they had devs who weren't experienced in making MMO's. They thought they could make SWTOR with multiplayer and make it work out... but they found out it's a niche game that really didn't work for most people.

I'd be curious to see how many people actively play that game on a daily basis. I know I haven't even bothered to log in since it went free to play and I canceled my subscription three months in. I stopped playing after the first month and my 6 year old kept playing.

Glow sticks do little for me. I want Stormtroopers and Rebels again... ala Star Wars Galaxies pre-CU.

SteelPaladin
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
They should of just made KOTOR 3, not that mmo bullhockey.

SteelPaladin
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
its so bad, that 2 of the founders retired before the game "officially" flops.

Myll_Erik
02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Well - we're not trying to do the same old system everyone else has tried. We're literally breaking ground in a lot of key areas and giving people and fans something that they want.

We all think Defiance (Show/Game) has a very promising future.

Migrayne
02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Swtor's issue had nothing to do with b2p. They literally ruined the game. If you have a good enough game it doesn't matter the price structure. People have been buying games for 30 years. Why should the game be free. All the development has to be paid for somehow. The cash shop helps the game keep getting updated without a subscription.

I think having the game and show tied together directly is a great new idea. Its not the same old thing.