PDA

View Full Version : Why defiance?

Dukeraver
06-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Why choose defiance over any other MMO out there?

What brought you here?

Escyos
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Well the tv show is what interested me, i've only played somewhat simple online games in the past, usually text based HTML ones. Its my opinion that such MMO games usually attract the 12 year old who swears at everyone to make themselves feel big and the other people who call heaps of attention to them by using words such as 'noob' and 'pwnage' (please don't anyone use these words!)

Cyber
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
The TV show side of Defiance is probably the most significant thing setting this game apart from other upcoming games such as Firefall (which even has some similar looking enemies), and that will be a big draw.

As for what brought me here, I have been following the development of another Trion game, End of Nations, and heard about Defiance awhile back through that community.

Viking
06-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I just found out about it on the E3 coverage. Super excited about it now.

Shrapnil
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I' am personally excited for this game cause its not sword and board fantasy. I loved the aiming style tera has but hated the sword and board genre. This gives me more of a modern mmo with that aiming style i like. Also the show seems to be awesome. Maybe the next Firefly or Farscape.

Escyos
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I' am personally excited for this game cause its not sword and board fantasy. I loved the aiming style tera has but hated the sword and board genre. This gives me more of a modern mmo with that aiming style i like. Also the show seems to be awesome. Maybe the next Firefly or Farscape.

Me too, I never got the whole fascination with being an elf and battling orcs etc (Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones stuff) futuristic sci-fi has always been my favorite, greater possibility in that.

Cyber
06-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I feel the same, although I have to admit I am excited for GW2. Other than that I am being drawn to the upcoming Sci-fi games these days, such as End of Nations, Defiance, Planetside 2, Firefall, etc.

Shrapnil
06-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I understood that people wanted to remember the Dungeons and Dragons feel from the table top rpgs. I just think the whole elf and orc thing has been beaten to death. I' am still excited for upcoming mmos such as The Elder Scrolls online, just because its being made by one of my favorite game developers Bethesda and also Zenimax. Im hoping this does better than Tabula Rasa, which i am expecting it will since i don't think an devs want to go to space anytime soon.

Cyber
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Im hoping this does better than Tabula Rasa, which i am expecting it will since i don't think an devs want to go to space anytime soon.

Ah, Tabula Rasa...we had such high hope for thee...such a shame.

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
What actually brought me here was the idea of playing an MMO in my living room, using my Xbox. This is something, as well as the integrated television series, which was very new to me. I haven't seen any other MMO that is across all major platforms!

Quizzical Harpy
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Rift brought me here actually :p.

I love the concept of the ever changing world...ah..

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Yes. That also intrigued me!

ultimt1
06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
i played shooters for years, then got into mmo's, been playing Rift since cb. hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

Dukeraver
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Rift brought me here actually :p.

Loved the rift system in RIFT, but rifts in RIFT never seem to got the attention they deserved with other players. It just seemed like another grind fest in the end like WoW and got sick of it... I expect the same with Defiance, but hopefully the new combat system will make it feel unique and awesome.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 01:58 AM
i played shooters for years, then got into mmo's, been playing Rift since cb. hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

I'm a bit of the opposite. I used to be a PC Gamer and I absolutely loved MMO games over any other type of games. I played well over 100 MMOs and then my PC became out of date and I didn't want to make another huge investment so I bought a console (Xbox 360). Ever since I got an Xbox, games have been amazing and I love multiplayer, but I never had the connection to a game on Xbox like I had with MMOs.

Because this is on Xbox I am hoping that other MMOs come to the consoles so I can once again, play my favourite games!

Curiel
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
My computer is really bad so i cant run mmos on it good.So being able to play it on my xbox sounds fun

Defiant Angel
06-09-2012, 02:53 PM
The TV show looks like one that I would be fanatical about anyway, but having the opportunity to get in and grow with a brand new show and mmo at the same time from their inception is phenomenal.

Quizzical Harpy
06-09-2012, 03:49 PM
My computer is really bad so i cant run mmos on it good.So being able to play it on my xbox sounds fun

Same here. My laptop isn't great.. I play rift at minimum settings on low quality render. :/

Mindfix
06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Well the tv show is what interested me, i've only played somewhat simple online games in the past, usually text based HTML ones. Its my opinion that such MMO games usually attract the 12 year old who swears at everyone to make themselves feel big and the other people who call heaps of attention to them by using words such as 'noob' and 'pwnage' (please don't anyone use these words!)

Really think this game will be any different? Any online game is going to have it's share.

But what brought me here? This being a shooter mmo that actually has potential and could fair well on consoles that i could play with some of my friends and family who are not into pc gaming, i'm very interested.

Escyos
06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Really think this game will be any different? Any online game is going to have it's share.

Well such people tend to stick around as people indulge them, trading insults back etc. My advice to to completely ignore these people.

Mindfix
06-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Well such people tend to stick around as people indulge them, trading insults back etc. My advice to to completely ignore these people.

Oh i agree, just saying if the game has interaction with other people it's going to have it's share of morons. Played WoW, CS, even AvP on multiplayer way back in the day and everyone of these games have had it's fair share.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I just hope this community will be close like Tabula Rasa's was before the shutdown. Yes there were trolls and what not but they never stuck around for long as people just ended up ignoring them cause they were focused on either taking back a base or capturing one.

WhiteCell
05-18-2013, 02:54 PM

What brought you here?

Beyond the show...

Because it was supposed to be different. In the end it was different. Whereas most MMO's are enjoyable with solid mechanics and logical design decisions Defiance offered the completely opposite of that. We have non rewards for everything, no progression, and a scandalous amount of actual content for an MMO. Compeitive PvP is non existant as well. The main attraction of any MMO is cooperative and group play and this is where Defiance has nailed it's different approach. None of that is integral, necessary, or encouraged in this MMO.

It's like the Anti MMO masquerading as an MMO.

Nerotic
05-18-2013, 02:57 PM

They ain't words. Thankfully. Yet...

Nyx_Rainhart
05-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I was interested in the lore, the setting, and the whole premises. I find the world the game and show creates facinating.

Nerotic
05-18-2013, 02:58 PM
On topic.. liked the beta

Gabbro1000
05-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Just needed some filler before dark souls 2, this game looked like it would fill a large-ish chunk of free time.

Antimony
05-18-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm here because Defiance is NOT an MMORPG!

No excessive grinding is needed to progress, no pay-to-win, no 12-year olds spewing profanities on chat channels and generally very few trolls (at least in-game there aren't).

Since Defiance is a TPS, I would like to see competitive PVP as endgame content - teams, rankings, ladders, tourneys, etc.

thejx4
05-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Co-op shooter, PS3.

If you look at the number of GOOD co-op shooters on PS3, you'll understand why this is a godsend.

Random
05-18-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm here because Defiance is NOT an MMORPG!

No excessive grinding is needed to progress, no pay-to-win, no 12-year olds spewing profanities on chat channels and generally very few trolls (at least in-game there aren't).

Since Defiance is a TPS, I would like to see competitive PVP as endgame content - teams, rankings, ladders, tourneys, etc.

Why is it folks think age has anything to do with internet ******ry?
I crack up at it. I meet more ****** adults driving haulers around (Find player for the win) that tend to be 30++ on the XBL cards

So in my experience it's we adults whom do most of this ******ry. The squealers are usually having fun playing the game.

Dmec
05-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Rift. Was in alpha/beta. The 20 or so MMO's that I have played/are playing. I like Sci-Fi.

Elric1
05-18-2013, 03:18 PM

What brought you here?

1. PC had a stroke and died on me one too many times.
2. Xbox cheaper to replace than an entire gaming rig.
3. The general upkeep, subscription and the whole lot for just ONE game made it seem pointless. (World of Warcraft.)

Antimony
05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Why is it folks think age has anything to do with internet ******ry?
I crack up at it. I meet more ****** adults driving haulers around (Find player for the win) that tend to be 30++ on the XBL cards

So in my experience it's we adults whom do most of this ******ry. The squealers are usually having fun playing the game.

Yeah, you are probably right.
12 year olds just hurt my ears with their piercing voices, but some older players behave much worse.

Anderson
05-18-2013, 03:33 PM
My computer is a laptop that is nowhere near a gaming rig, so I use an XBox. I actually wasn't all that interested in an MMO, but I had gotten burned out and Borderlands 1 & 2 and was looking for something like that. So I went out and bought Dead Island 1, and while I was in GameStop they had a whole thing about this game going on on the TV in the background.

So I went home and played Dead Island. It was really, really stupid. I tried really hard to like the game but couldn't enjoy it. So I did a little research on Defiance, got a good idea what to expect and traded Dead Island in for this. (After having Dead Island for one day. Did I mention that I thought Dead Island sucked?)

pamoth
05-18-2013, 03:40 PM
bought this as a game not an mmo just for a good shooter that would kill some time but now it just feels like a boring grind and no longer worth playing all side missions done and main story done, all persuits done and all possible challenges done there is nothing left now but to sit at hulkers trying to get all weps to level 20 for no reason atall... as soon as elder scrolls online is out its a fact this game wont be on life support anymore it will have to be unplugged

Grant
05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
It's youtube fault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfi3SRjC0hs