PDA

View Full Version : Why I absolutely despise PvP

Horror Stories
01-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Many people love PvP, I think it's the most unfair, unbalanced feature I've ever seen in any multiplayer game I've ever played.

*I've edited this post since the initial publishing and have added a lot more information and content, feel free to re-read this post and give me your feedback on it*

1 - Broken matchmaking logic: 5 max egos vs. 10 1-3k egos seems to be what this game calls "fair". 80%+ of the PvP matches I've played(maybe 100 at this point) has had completely unbalanced teams. I know for a fact that 2,3, or 4 max egos on the other team weren't in a group(I checked). So why does the matchmaking always throw max egos on one team and leave the other team all but completely helpless? General standpoint on the matchmaking from me, the logic behind matchmaking is pathetic.

2 - No sense of power balance: Giving low ego players buffs to the highest player in the lobby? Don't make me laugh, the temporary buffs given to the players in the lobby is the same as replacing their soft marshmallows with frozen marshmallows. The difference between 4.5k ego and 5.5k ego is ridiculous. I ONLY do PvP for the pursuits and it alone makes me want to uninstall the game. At 5k ego, their is no end to the amount of 5.5k-max ego players who can kill me from full shields/health with 1 shot from any of their weapons. The raw amount of imbalance is disgusting and repulsing. Sure I could use a better shield, but that alone shouldn't mean I have to get bullied by maxed out players on a daily basis. Was playing in a freight yard match a few minutes ago and a player on the other team dropped 40+ kills at 5k ego simply because his shotgun could 1 shot every single player in the lobby. How is that fair? Why is that allowed?

3 - Pathetic spawn point logic: In a majority of PvP instances, the spawns of either team can be horribly trapped and abused given the right setup by the opposing team. Their are certain scenarios where you can look directly at the other teams exact spawn spot and shoot the moment a player spawns.

4 - Ridiculous pursuit challenges: Turret kills? Speaking to the developers, have you ever tried to get a turret kill in PvP? I really don't think you have, otherwise that challenge would not be in the game. The entire existence of the Cerberus is a laugh. At vehicle lv.20 and the perk that raises the durability of vehicles, a handful of marshmallows could blow it up. It really does seem like getting those kills is on the cusp of impossible. Obviously it's not 100% impossible, but the amount of time it takes to get into the scenarios that even give you a shot at getting a single turret kill is ridiculous. The only way I can see it being possible in a reasonable amount of time is to get a friend to join the other team and feed you kills on the edge of the map. In other games, that is considered cheating, but I have been told by many random people in matches that that is how a lot of people get it done.

Edit entry 1: It really feels like PvP is gear based, not skill based as it should be. As every single competitive multiplayer game mode should be. I know their are PvP vets who will read this and say "You are crying about nothing, PvP is fine you just suck". I didn't post this from the standpoint of someone who is bad at PvP. I'm quite good at PvP in fact. In a balanced match, 20-30 kills and <5-8 deaths would be average for me. If their were a stat page, my kill to death ratio would be between 2.0 and 3.0 So know that this post isn't ranting about nothing, this post is written from genuine concern stemming from weeks of observation.

Edit Entry 1: I think it would be more fair if PvP matches had ego ranges. Such as one range tier being 5,000 to 5,900 ego. Meaning that if you have an ego level in that range and you go into PvP, then you will only play with people in that same ego range. This is to prevent overpowered players from slaughtering 1k,2k,3k and 4k ego players such as is seen in the current system. A lower tier would be something like 1,000 to 1,500 or 2,000 ego. This gives everyone a fair chance(to an extent, as no PvP is perfect). Sure there will always be overpowered players wherever you go, but at least with ego ranges being in effect for PvP, you wouldn't ever go against someone that is so much more powerful that you can't even get their shield halfway down with a full detonator mag. Now ego tiers could and would lead to an overall drop in available PvP matches available at any given time. To combat this, their could be an option to go into a tier of PvP that has no ego range, but to select it, you must agree in a pop-up that you know you are entering an gamemode where you may come across people that are maxed out and extremely hard to beat. This would be to deter weaker players from going into the non ego tier PvP mode. I think as a result, more veteran players would start changing their opinions on PvP. Sure many would say that as a maxed player, they enjoy playing against other maxed players for a challenge(I enjoy a challenge, not a 1 sided slaughter fest). However, I think at least a few maxed/close to maxed players will start to see how difficult PvP can be when playing against other maxed players that they can't easily 1 shot. If nothing else, a high ego range tier for PvP would lead to some really intense matches.

Edit Entry 1: Another option to balance PvP would be to take the ego of every player in the lobby, find the average ego and produce a series of different loadout classes that each player has to select from. The power of the loadout classes would be equivalent to what you would find on a player with average ego number that was produced. The classes would be similar to what other PvP games with preset loadout classes have(assault, medic, heavy, sniper, etc). To make it more in depth, each loadout type would have different gear options to choose for that specific loadout type. For example, the "explosives" or "heavy" loadout type could let the player choose from a detonator(cluster, delay explosion, explosion on impact), rocket launcher(standard RL, guided RL), the shotgun that shoots explosives(Think it's called cluster shotgun, but not referring to crimefighters). Their would be two types of shields for each loadout: One with high capacity but slower regen time(6-10 seconds), and one with a lower capacity but fast regen time(2-4 seconds). This would help to put all players on an equal level, so PvP becomes more about skill and not just about who has the best gear. Things like individual player weapon skill level would still take effect like they do in PvP currently, so that's up to the player to put in the time to get those maxed.

All in all, PvP in Defiance is the single biggest joke of a feature I've ever seen. What's worse is that players are forced to play it if they want to max their characters out. The only way to max out without PvP is to spend money on DLC. I love the PvE of defiance and enjoy playing every day, but the recent grinding I've had to do in PvP to try an max out my character has brought me very close to uninstalling the game. What's more is that I know, as a lot of people know that the developers don't care about PvP. So it's left to rot in it's horrible state and players have to suffer.

Dixie Cougar
01-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Right now anything over 5500 is just bragging rights, and after Alcatraz goes in there will be more pve pursuits for us to do. So don't worry too much. I've spent a total of maybe 3 hours in pvp and have half the ego points from it. Don't go back there much except to have fun with clanmates a couple times a month.

Chris Robet
01-17-2015, 08:20 PM
PvP while not officially stated is supposed to be more endgame material.

KingNephilim
01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
3 - Pathetic spawn point logic: In a majority of PvP instances, the spawns of either team can be horribly trapped and abused given the right setup by the opposing team. Their are certain scenarios where you can look directly at the other teams exact spawn spot and shoot the moment a player spawns.

I think at least one of the maps curbs this by spawning you next to a random teammate... Observatory, I believe.

I do agree with all of your other points though. Who thought making it possible to one shot people in pvp was a good idea? Inspiration from Goldeneye, maybe? I dunno...

Either way, as terrible as it is I've had some laughs & fun times in pvp, during my attempts to complete my pursuits. I just wish more people would try to get involved (my clanmates especially). I think more variety in the pvp player base would help, instead of seeing the same griefers in EVERY match, bunny hopping & spamming RL's constantly.

Bubbie
01-18-2015, 02:33 AM

Psycroww
01-18-2015, 04:12 AM
Many people love PvP, I think it's the most unfair, unbalanced feature I've ever seen in any multiplayer game I've ever played.

*I've edited this post since the initial publishing and have added a lot more information and content, feel free to re-read this post and give me your feedback on it*

1 - Broken matchmaking logic: 5 max egos vs. 10 1-3k egos seems to be what this game calls "fair". 80%+ of the PvP matches I've played(maybe 100 at this point) has had completely unbalanced teams. I know for a fact that 2,3, or 4 max egos on the other team weren't in a group(I checked). So why does the matchmaking always throw max egos on one team and leave the other team all but completely helpless? General standpoint on the matchmaking from me, the logic behind matchmaking is pathetic.

2 - No sense of power balance: Giving low ego players buffs to the highest player in the lobby? Don't make me laugh, the temporary buffs given to the players in the lobby is the same as replacing their soft marshmallows with frozen marshmallows. The difference between 4.5k ego and 5.5k ego is ridiculous. I ONLY do PvP for the pursuits and it alone makes me want to uninstall the game. At 5k ego, their is no end to the amount of 5.5k-max ego players who can kill me from full shields/health with 1 shot from any of their weapons. The raw amount of imbalance is disgusting and repulsing. Sure I could use a better shield, but that alone shouldn't mean I have to get bullied by maxed out players on a daily basis. Was playing in a freight yard match a few minutes ago and a player on the other team dropped 40+ kills at 5k ego simply because his shotgun could 1 shot every single player in the lobby. How is that fair? Why is that allowed?

4 - Ridiculous pursuit challenges: Turret kills? Speaking to the developers, have you ever tried to get a turret kill in PvP? I really don't think you have, otherwise that challenge would not be in the game. The entire existence of the Cerberus is a laugh. At vehicle lv.20 and the perk that raises the durability of vehicles, a handful of marshmallows could blow it up. It really does seem like getting those kills is on the cusp of impossible. Obviously it's not 100% impossible, but the amount of time it takes to get into the scenarios that even give you a shot at getting a single turret kill is ridiculous. The only way I can see it being possible in a reasonable amount of time is to get a friend to join the other team and feed you kills on the edge of the map. In other games, that is considered cheating, but I have been told by many random people in matches that that is how a lot of people get it done.

Edit entry 1: It really feels like PvP is gear based, not skill based as it should be. As every single competitive multiplayer game mode should be. I know their are PvP vets who will read this and say "You are crying about nothing, PvP is fine you just suck". I didn't post this from the standpoint of someone who is bad at PvP. I'm quite good at PvP in fact. In a balanced match, 20-30 kills and <5-8 deaths would be average for me. If their were a stat page, my kill to death ratio would be between 2.0 and 3.0 So know that this post isn't ranting about nothing, this post is written from genuine concern stemming from weeks of observation.

Edit Entry 1: I think it would be more fair if PvP matches had ego ranges. Such as one range tier being 5,000 to 5,900 ego. Meaning that if you have an ego level in that range and you go into PvP, then you will only play with people in that same ego range. This is to prevent overpowered players from slaughtering 1k,2k,3k and 4k ego players such as is seen in the current system. A lower tier would be something like 1,000 to 1,500 or 2,000 ego. This gives everyone a fair chance(to an extent, as no PvP is perfect). Sure there will always be overpowered players wherever you go, but at least with ego ranges being in effect for PvP, you wouldn't ever go against someone that is so much more powerful that you can't even get their shield halfway down with a full detonator mag. Now ego tiers could and would lead to an overall drop in available PvP matches available at any given time. To combat this, their could be an option to go into a tier of PvP that has no ego range, but to select it, you must agree in a pop-up that you know you are entering an gamemode where you may come across people that are maxed out and extremely hard to beat. This would be to deter weaker players from going into the non ego tier PvP mode. I think as a result, more veteran players would start changing their opinions on PvP. Sure many would say that as a maxed player, they enjoy playing against other maxed players for a challenge(I enjoy a challenge, not a 1 sided slaughter fest). However, I think at least a few maxed/close to maxed players will start to see how difficult PvP can be when playing against other maxed players that they can't easily 1 shot. If nothing else, a high ego range tier for PvP would lead to some really intense matches.

Edit Entry 1: Another option to balance PvP would be to take the ego of every player in the lobby, find the average ego and produce a series of different loadout classes that each player has to select from. The power of the loadout classes would be equivalent to what you would find on a player with average ego number that was produced. The classes would be similar to what other PvP games with preset loadout classes have(assault, medic, heavy, sniper, etc). To make it more in depth, each loadout type would have different gear options to choose for that specific loadout type. For example, the "explosives" or "heavy" loadout type could let the player choose from a detonator(cluster, delay explosion, explosion on impact), rocket launcher(standard RL, guided RL), the shotgun that shoots explosives(Think it's called cluster shotgun, but not referring to crimefighters). Their would be two types of shields for each loadout: One with high capacity but slower regen time(6-10 seconds), and one with a lower capacity but fast regen time(2-4 seconds). This would help to put all players on an equal level, so PvP becomes more about skill and not just about who has the best gear. Things like individual player weapon skill level would still take effect like they do in PvP currently, so that's up to the player to put in the time to get those maxed.

All in all, PvP in Defiance is the single biggest joke of a feature I've ever seen. What's worse is that players are forced to play it if they want to max their characters out. The only way to max out without PvP is to spend money on DLC. I love the PvE of defiance and enjoy playing every day, but the recent grinding I've had to do in PvP to try an max out my character has brought me very close to uninstalling the game. What's more is that I know, as a lot of people know that the developers don't care about PvP. So it's left to rot in it's horrible state and players have to suffer.

Being the type of person I am who loves debates, I will friendly attempt to counter this seeing how I love PvP. Let me first start off by saying one of the first things I fully comprehended was that the pvp pursuits made you want to uninstall the game... well that right there kinda ruined any further argument you had seeing how it made you come off as someone who can't handle a 5 minute task at the most. Anyways going on, to complain about pvp, is to complain about pve right? Let me say since you "despise pvp," let me say how I despise the pve in the game. The fact that the "holiday events" are better then any other pve aspect of this game is sad. They ruined pve in so many ways its not funny. You actually got score based off of the damage you did, why they removed that is because grenades, oh thats another thing, grenades. They removed the ability to pick up a white weapon off of the ground and oj it. Why? because trion. Oh and lets not forget that 80% of every mission you do is go here defend this go here defend that mixed with go here press E (X button on console) and go here press E. Every single mission is almost the same repetitive waste of time material transformed into a new npc attacking you. It is one of the laziest developed missions made. Oh and the arkforge drop, because why should you get rewarded for spending the majority of your time ammo dumping things that give you no rewards. You get no rewards, 100 scrip and a white mod / blue weapon is not a reward. Neither is 2 arkforge.

I can go on and on about the PvE in this game and anyone that refrutes it, is a hypocrite if they have ever complained once about pvp. Onto your actual post.

1. Not broken match making logic, the game doesnt match you by ego to begin with, you all que up for a map, and you can guess it, because we are playing a trion game, everything is determined off of a rng system. Meaning your group is entirely going to be random if you arent already in a group. There are, in fact almost every time I play pvp, (i know who the best players are because not bragging but I am among the top 10 so I know who is who and I spend the majority of my time playing it) fair teams. I am almost always matched up against the top player, I never have the top player on my team. I end the game with 11 captures and 20-50 kills and 5-10 deaths. They end the game with 9 captures, 30-40 kills etc etc. Anyways, you cant even argue matchmaking because you can have some of the best players that never cap more then twice in a game. Would you rather have a teammate that is 40-1 with 1 cap at the end of a game, or a teammate that is 5-27 with 7-9 captures. I'd pick the low ego scrub that caps multiple points over a god pvp player that refuses to cap. Even if matchmaking was fair, we are human, and we will always change the odds regardless of how the matchmaking is put. Matchmaking can be unfair when the top players all know eachother, form up a giant group, and go in, theres nothing you can do at that point but get better. You will get smacked, you will lose, and you will die a lot. But guess what? it makes you better.

2. Oh god please, not another outburst of unfair ego difference. First co-ops (thank you for having me downgraded into a season 3 mission I played alone btw) now pvp. PvP no matter how you look at it, is end game. So what do you think of when you think of endgame in MMOS? Raids, instances, pvp. No raids in defiance, the only instance that qualifies as an instance really is warmaster. And its a joke. Way too easy, way to simple, no mechanics, just move here, do this animation, jump here shoot explosives, repeat till die or time limit. So if you count the co-ops as instances, no one does the co-ops unless its for a contract. Therefore you have pvp. The majority of people in pvp should be max ego. If you go into pvp at a very low ego, either you have a death wish or dont understand how pvp works. and therefore should come back after you did all your repetitive missions. The difference between a 4.5k and a 5k ego in pvp is ridiculous? Really? The difference is their shield, and with a headshot, there shield doesnt matter, and even then the difference is their shield still. I dont need to go on further.

3. Dont make me laugh, its like this in all shooting games with points. You have point A,B,C. One team caps at A, one caps C. Guess where they spawn? A and C. you give a match captures, you limit the spawning down, and it is only fair to spawn teams where they have capped. Otherwise you would have people spawning in same spawn or behind you at random.

4. No, the pursuits are the equivalent of a time consuming hotshot/driving pursuit. They aren't ridiculous, they are just challenging. You want a simple pvp game with no tru objective or challenge, go into cal of duty, youll like it then. Just a bunch of trigger happies running around on one map with no other care.

5. or edit entry 1: finally a good argument. PvP is very gear based to a certain extent depending on what you mean by that. Comparing the best pvp player against the other pvp player, its going to turn into a bit of skill, who is more accurate, who knows there surroundings better, who uses the heal stim/ dmg spike, who uses their ego etc etc. Now when comparing the best pvp player to the worst, you would prob see that person being low ego, very hardly do you see a high ego player doing terrible unless they cry about pvp and only do it because they "are forced to" which now they arent and with s3 updates, it will eliminate them entirely so hopefully they all leave and never come back. Anyways, you give player A a better weapon then player B, odds are player B dies. You give player A a decent weapon and a god shield vs player B who now has a god weapon but a bad shield and player A will most likely still win. Thats what is so great about pvp, you arent dumbed down to a map where okay we give everyone in the lobbey a custimaztion screen and they are limited to a sub genre you could say of 7 classes and in those 7 classes, you have 3-6 weapons to choose from and blah blah this that its fair because everyone has potential to use the same things. I understand that. At the same time, they have games like evolve coming out, battlefield and call of duty will always be around, titanfall, assassins creed pvp etc etc it is all like that. Im tired of being limited to a game where you are forced to use the same things. In defiance, you can pick up a weapon, and use it in anything you want. You can get a all mag pistol and use it in pvp if you wanted, why? Because you can. There will always be those players who use the 3x dmg and 2x dmg weapons, but you can get it too. You cant get it instantly, but you can get it. Besides the majority of pvp now is turning into rocket launchers and infectors, which infact take no skill. And if you think you are a good player in defiance because you can take a feaster or 3-4x rolled canker and have the auto lock system do all the work for you, or a rocket launcher that literally is aim here and instant kill usually, you are not good. In fact you are target practice and are a challenge for the people using skilled weapons only because it is alot harder to kill you then for you to kill us. Anyways I think i got my point off. It can be argued back and forth but at the end of the day, a sniper headshot with crit rolls and is decent damage will kill you regardless of your gear. You can give someone a 24k capacity shield and a shotgun that 1 shots most people and a auto lock infector that you just have to hit half your clip and majority dies. But they arent invincible, i have killed people like this at a low ego. I know coming from someone who started pvp at 200 ego and did it all the way up to current time. At 200 ego, i would die all the time, i would go 0-13 1-12 all the time. I didnt know where spawns were, I didnt know how players reacted, over time I learned all of that, i learned spawns, i learned how players usually move and can judge their steps, at 1.5k ego - 2.5k ego, i was always number 1 or 2 on my team. I could kill any player in that match if i was accurate. Its not impossible, its hard. But again, its all in the challenge. You give a noob the best gea rpossible, they will still die 8 times out of 10 to that experienced player with decent weapons.

edit entry 1, 1? : This is not world of warcraft or rift, you are not limited to 10 levels ( in this case 900-1000). This is where I say pvp is fine as is to your earlier comment. I can create a new character, get a decent shield and weapon at 600 ego, and I can walk into pvp and kill just as many people as I could at a high ego, the only difference is I can die a lot faster then before, the equivalent to playing dead space on hardest difficulty. Its not impossible to do, but you only have quick reaction time and split second accuracy to survive. I have done this before, its really not hard when you know how to play and learn how to counter people. Player A is using a bio gun, player B should use bio resis perks and a bio shield thus making them very hard to kill. Player A is using a shotgun, player B should switch to a sniper or smg and take them out from a distance. Etc etc.

edit entry 1,1,1? : I already explained this in my earlier thread and I am honestly tired of saying it, go to COD is my argument because I dont need to argue to someone who looks at pvp like that. It is such a dumbed down version of playing that it is unnecessary. This is the last time I try to argue this point because you do have some decent points but all in all dont need tweaking. It isnt fair for me to compare mmo pvp to just a pvp game. But because I am so tired of saying this, I will compare it to mmo pvp. WoW/Rift. You are free to use whatever gear you want. Nuff said. Yes you all have the ability to use same things , ex. rogue can build like other rogue. However there is pvp gear that sets you apart from the pve gear. Think of defiance pvp like this :
Player A in wow : Is a rogue with fully decked out pve gear, top teir.
Scenario : runs into player B who is a rogue in pvp gear, top teir. He has the same perks.

Payer A in defiance: Is a 3000 ego with a shotgun and sniper
scenario : Runs into player B with the same weapons, same rolled. Is 5000 ego with experience.

They are the same, you have the same abilitys. You can shoot like they can, you can use the same perks like they can. However the higher and more experienced player will always have the advantage. At first the 5k ego player will look like a god because they kill everyone. You get same weapons they do, and you cant kill them, what is your final resort? Ill tell you your final resort : Its either A they are a hacker, or B you quit and complain how unfair the pvp is.

Its a simple formula I listed really. The top teir PVE gear player, is a noob player in pvp. Why are they a noob? They have best pve gear you said. they are a noob because they are using pve gear in pvp. It isnt impossible for them to kill someone in pvp gear, but it is pretty damn hard. They continue to play, they start changing their gear to pvp, like a 3000 ego who plays pvp keeps playing, gets better gear, knows what beats most people, begins to evolve and kill people. Did I get my point across yet? I hope I did because I really dont need to explain anymore.

All in all, this was a fun argument because you werent one of those players who comes on the forums, and listed half a paragraph at most complaining about pvp by saying hackers and unfair game. Now, on to counter your all in all, your sentence about players are forced to pvp to reach max ego is a bigger joke then this thread. You say you average 30 kills and under 5 deaths, I assume then you play a lot. You should of realized a month ago that you can now reach max ego without pvp. You should of also realized that there is no difference between 5.5k ego and 5.9k ego. Weapons HARDLY get a bonus past that point. Why would you complain about pvp and say oh its so unbalanced and this and that, and then ruin your entire thread by saying "spend money on dlc" ODDS ARE if you play this game, and you like it, you will buy the dlc. You cant complain about pvp when you dont have dlc, you cant use specific weapons, therefore if you have complained about pvp and dont have dlc, you have no say in the conversation about how unbalanced this or that is. You cant say players are forced to reach max ego, they arent forced to do anything. You can play this game at 5.5k ego and out score any 5.9k ego in anything you do whether it is a arkfall or pvp, or co op or whatever the hell it is you do. If you love the pve aspect, you would buy the dlc to play the bigger joke of pve content they have added into their dlcs. Now when I say to you, i am not referring to the OP in general. I am referring to whoever it applies to. If you LOVE a game, you buy DLC. If you want to reach aspects in a certain game that require dlc, YOU BUY DLC. If you enjoy a game, you enjoy what you are doing, you want to do something that requires dlc, which is very cheap dlc, you show the developers you like their game by buying the dlc. I rest my case.

On a side note, THE ONLY THING PVP NEEDS in a update, is new maps.

stefb42
01-18-2015, 04:49 AM
Ppl keep saying pvp is end game, what a load of crap, pvp is kinda broken but there is a reason, ego scaling

When this game was made, there was no power progression, a white ego 10 assault rifle had the same dmg output as an orange ego 5000 assault rifle assuming the latter had no dmg rolls, the ego 5000 player would have a few extra hit points but that was it, shield capacity and dmg output though were pretty much even

When I did my pvp pursuits you'd find all different ego levels owning maps, hell I finished everything pvp before I even reached ego 1000 and did most of it with an ego 200ish green nano fragger and an ego 159 orange blast rifle

But then money became involved, and it seemed it was way more important to put the cash sinks in place than to actually fix anything, so we get power rating progression which went against the whole nature of this game, but we'll counter progression by ego scaling, except even after all these months scaling is still not right, and if things don't scale properly in pve I doubt they do in pvp either

Ego scaling, the single worst thing to happen to this game, its caused nothing but grief, and made huge divisions in the player base, high egos think low egos are noobs, low egos think high egos are elitist, low egos think high egos are trolling them by increasing threat levels, high egos are just trying to get contracts done etc etc

The game was never designed with any end gear content, all content was for everyone and they could enjoy it whenever they wanted to regardless of gear or ego, its just ego progression that's making certain things seem like they're end game content but its just an illusion..the cake is a lie..

If they want to call something end game content then maybe they should create something new with that purpose in mind instead of making content that was always doable by all harder and creating the pretense that it is indeed end game content

nathanpbutler
01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Ppl keep saying pvp is end game, what a load of crap, pvp is kinda broken but there is a reason, ego scaling

When this game was made, there was no power progression, a white ego 10 assault rifle had the same dmg output as an orange ego 5000 assault rifle assuming the latter had no dmg rolls, the ego 5000 player would have a few extra hit points but that was it, shield capacity and dmg output though were pretty much even

When I did my pvp pursuits you'd find all different ego levels owning maps, hell I finished everything pvp before I even reached ego 1000 and did most of it with an ego 200ish green nano fragger and an ego 159 orange blast rifle

But then money became involved, and it seemed it was way more important to put the cash sinks in place than to actually fix anything, so we get power rating progression which went against the whole nature of this game, but we'll counter progression by ego scaling, except even after all these months scaling is still not right, and if things don't scale properly in pve I doubt they do in pvp either

Ego scaling, the single worst thing to happen to this game, its caused nothing but grief, and made huge divisions in the player base, high egos think low egos are noobs, low egos think high egos are elitist, low egos think high egos are trolling them by increasing threat levels, high egos are just trying to get contracts done etc etc

The game was never designed with any end gear content, all content was for everyone and they could enjoy it whenever they wanted to regardless of gear or ego, its just ego progression that's making certain things seem like they're end game content but its just an illusion..the cake is a lie..

If they want to call something end game content then maybe they should create something new with that purpose in mind instead of making content that was always doable by all harder and creating the pretense that it is indeed end game content

This. This. Oh lord, this.

I've played Defiance since the Beta, and thankfully, I plowed through all of the PVP pursuits with a LOT of matches back in the days before Arktech Revolution introduced scaling into the game. It felt like it was skill based and, barring a few weapons that tended to be advantageous, it felt mostly balanced. Anyone could be on any team, no biggie.

Honestly, before scaling, Defiance's PVP felt a lot like Destiny's regular PVP modes, where advantages of level are mostly eliminated in favor of skill and certain weapons being more useful than others in certain modes.

Then came scaling, and it broke PVP, but not the way it is broken now. At that point, matches for high level players became very tough to come by because there WAS a sort of tiered system, so that if you were higher level, you would wait for ages to get into a match, and the matches would have very few people usually because it gated off lower EGO players from being able to join those matches.

It was a later tweak to PVP that allowed for matchmaking that won't gate off higher level players, but the end result is a broken matchmaking system again, just broken in a different way.

Now, it is close to (but not exactly akin to) the Iron Banner in Destiny, where gear matters.

The key thing that Destiny does well with regular PVP versus Iron Banner, though, is that you KNOW and CHOOSE which type you want to play. Even when Iron Banner is going, you can choose regular PVP. When Iron Banner isn't going, it's a "fair and balanced" system, regardless of power levels. With Defiance, it is basically "All Iron Banner, All the Time," with the added bonus of broken matchmaking.

I'm SO glad I took care of my PVP pursuits before Arktech Revolution. Doing it now is ridiculous, especially with how the Cerberus doesn't scale properly. I feel for the newer players.

Lyndis
01-18-2015, 11:40 PM
I despise it because it is ruled by explosives. You either spam rockets or grenades or get the **** out.

Also cloaked one shot kill snipers

And another thing, do all explosives in this game act like nuclear warheads or something? The blast radius of these things are ****ing ridiculous

And cloaked shot guns are another bull**** thing, yet without cloak, shotguns would just vanish because they'd die to explosives 100% of the time

Soundtrack26
01-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Turret kills are my fav thing to get...makes me feel unstoppble. i usually get 15 to 20 kills a match n sometimes a good amont of those are turret kills. Shadow wars give you a ton of chances to get those kills. the biggest problem i seen with pvp is people don't think or plan. oh and if a guy is using explosives roll towards him then try and run around him And Melee not sure how its spelled lol cuz he most likly will be jumping too and for the rolling to him is cuz if he kills u theres a chance he kill himself to or get hurt bad. in pvp never stand still always be moving. theres a ton more but i'm sure you don't want to hear so i'm done :P