PDA

View Full Version : Insane amount of mobs for solo play

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
I'll admit I'm new to console gaming and don't completely have the hang of aiming/connecting with my shots just yet, but I am nowhere close to new at mmo gaming on the pc, and I am shocked by the sheer volume of mobs I'm having to face solo in this game. Lets get this out of the way first, I like this game and am excited to see where it goes, but I don't know how much longer I can play something that throws TWO DOZEN mobs at a time at me, most of which I have to hit at least a dozen or more times before they go down. And I'm not factoring in the times I obviously miss them because I'm not good at aiming yet. I can't hardly believe this is working as intended. It's not a case of bad tactics as I utilize cover when approaching a mission area, but no matter what I do, an insane number of mobs appears and mows me down.

I enjoy playing solo because I like to read missions and look around areas completely before I move on, so teaming up with me really just serves to frustrate most people as they're in a rush to move from one mission to the next. I feel like the numerous videos I watched of devs saying this game is easily soloable really aren't factual and am a bit disappointed in it due to what feels like a bit of false advertisement on that front. And please don't tell me that "it's an mmo, its not meant to be solo'ed". That's just insulting.

I want to love this game, I really do. I'm hoping someone will say that this must be one of the numerous bugs and will be worked out in the coming weeks, I just need to be patient.

Deez
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Shoot, Run, Reload.
Repeat as often as needed.

Jman2010
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
You forgot dodge.

Tango80
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Learn to roll that helps out tremendously. Especially against shield dudes, Tankers, Mutant mini gunners and Mutant grenadiers. It makes it allot easier to kill things with friends than solo. Doable but a pain in the butt.

Deez
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
dodge is not on the controller.

AmishWarMachine
04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't know that they said the game was "easily" soloable, since that's an extremely relative thing to say. So far, however, I have solo'd everything I've done in the game (completed the pheromones mission from the Iron Demon Ranch).

There are going to be some missions, that if you want to solo, you're going to have to have the perfect mixture of weapons, gear, tactics, and above all... patience. (this game can punish you for going rambo).

You might be surprised to find that there are people like-minded and choose to absorb the game as they play, instead of doing so in a rush. Find them. Group with them. Win-Win.

Valethar
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Shoot, Run, Reload.

This.

Do not stand still or you're dead. Use the terrain to LoS them, move a lot, learn leash ranges so you can work the spawn by luring them out and picking them off. Learn to recognize which mobs are the most dangerous and don't let them gang up on you (rioters for example, can smash you fast if you get more than two at close range). Use sniper rifles at range to pick off their snipers and rocket launchers.

This isn't a typical MMO where you can stand in one place until someone tells you to get out of the fire, and still defeat the enemies.

AmishWarMachine
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Double-tap Circle/B

BlueRaith
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Follow the Five D's:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/trampoline_girl/dodgeball.jpg

PixieStix
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I know this sounds really stupid, but patience plays a factor if you are solo. Sniper the high threat targets before going in. Once in, dodge around picking off the smaller threats, then finish off the big threat.

AgentMytho
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Its funny some missions there are no mobs, and no other players in sight. Other times it looks like a double or triple spawn, and by the time I clear out half of them, another spawn shows up.

I am particularly annoyed with the hellbug side missions. It seems like a Matriach is showing up more frequently now, and I am required to kill her to complete the mission in some cases.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I appreciate the suggestions. I am dodging, running (a lot), shooting while backing up, utilizing cover and attempting to snipe mobs. Which takes multiple shots , even when i hit them in the head and they fall backward (indicating that i have in fact hit them). I don't stand still at all. I'm just not sure that IF this is working as intended, this is the type of game for me, which is disappointing to me. I'll give it some time though, to see how things play out, but it definitely seems like two dozen to more mobs at a time for a single player in an area is a bit too much.

Komakala
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think it's too bad. There are times when I get overwhelmed but for the most part I feel like I steamroll through the enemies. Find a grenade that is more of a defensive grenade, like a Bio grenade or my favorite a Flash grenade. Use it to stun the enemies and line up critical shots while they are distracted. It is also important to prioritize your kills.

Let's take raiders for example. I find that rocket guys while they can be deadly aren't too much of a concern if you keep moving. But there are guys that wear all green a shoot radioactive damage weapons. They are number one on my kill order, then the orange guys that deal fire damage, then rioters, then rocket guys and finally the normal little Blitzers. Or if there are too many rockets and only one Rioter I'll kite the rioter and down the rockets just to make it a bit easier on myself.

When sniping are you getting critical hits? Or are you just dealing normal damage? I found that aiming at their chin is almost always a sure critical hit. While if I aim higher I have a chance to miss.

Unknown
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't know that they said the game was "easily" soloable, since that's an extremely relative thing to say. So far, however, I have solo'd everything I've done in the game (completed the pheromones mission from the Iron Demon Ranch).

There are going to be some missions, that if you want to solo, you're going to have to have the perfect mixture of weapons, gear, tactics, and above all... patience. (this game can punish you for going rambo).

You might be surprised to find that there are people like-minded and choose to absorb the game as they play, instead of doing so in a rush. Find them. Group with them. Win-Win.

You will also just the opposite happens in this game aswell. I started off as always playing sniper class, my favourite and most commonly used setup. I'm currently using the Cloak perk line, Ego is around 600. I wouldn't say that I have rushed it, just I play a lot more than the average gamer being self-employed means I can play around 12hours+ a day and still get work done ;) But my point is some npc's are just a shtako to headshot, the accuracy can be frustrating at times. perfect red dot in centre of head and it doesn't register so occasionally can take two or 3 headshots, Others just naturally need that amount of shots for their shield/hp's. I've found myself now when facing more than 4 mobs running in guns blazing (VOT Grind Fragger - 10mag full auto pump shotgun) A whole clip is usually enough to take out an npc except a boss etc, but I can normaly take out 4 mobs or at least the toughest of the group, then run behind a wall hit stealth, reload, headshot 1, rush in take out a couple more then if there are any more survivors use a flash grenade, reload then take out the rest. That's pretty much my cycle. So I'd recommend don't always try to be stealth, but the same don't always be gun-ho. Try and find that equilibrium between the both that suits you. Occasionally I'l drop the sniper load out and hit it with a full auto assault riffle combined with shotgun. So just take each fight as it comes :)

Opus
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I want to love this game, I really do. I'm hoping someone will say that this must be one of the numerous bugs and will be worked out in the coming weeks, I just need to be patient.

It gets easier. I'm typically a solo-only player, because I, too, love wandering around and just exploring, taking my time, etc. When I first started playing it was hard. REALLY hard. I haven't done a 'twitch' type of game in almost 10 years. But after practicing here and there, watching other people and gaining some skills on my own, it got easier. Now, it's still not a piece of cake for me, but I've advanced quite a bit and frequently take on mobs without dreading it.

I would probably keep on roaming the countryside, exploring everything, fighting roadside instances, small mobs, etc. for a while until they start feeling easier. When they do, try to advance with the main mission or side missions and see how it goes.

And find weapons and shields you love to use. When I first started, I was AR/SMG all the time. Now, I mix and match with infectors, BMGs, pistols, even shotguns, which I hated with a passion when I first started. Now that my skill's increased, I'm using everything trying to level up my skills and it's not that hard anymore.

Also -- experiment with different shields. I always swore by Ironclads and Rhinos, since they could withstand the most damage. But then I tried a Respark one day and I haven't looked back. The shields are 'weaker' but the charge delay and time is very quick. It's saved my butt many a time from getting killed when I was soloing.

Opus
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I'll give it some time though, to see how things play out, but it definitely seems like two dozen to more mobs at a time for a single player in an area is a bit too much.

Where did you encounter the mobs, if you don't mind me asking -- and what kind were they?

Valethar
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Also -- experiment with different shields. I always swore by Ironclads and Rhinos, since they could withstand the most damage. But then I tried a Respark one day and I haven't looked back. The shields are 'weaker' but the charge delay and time is very quick. It's saved my butt many a time from getting killed when I was soloing.

I like the ones with the health regen bonus. Found one in Beta 3 right before it went down that came out of a T4 box. It was orange with a 75% shield/25% health regen speed. Was great for when you screwed up and ran around a corner without looking and got smacked in the face by a tanker or blacklung LOL.

Valethar
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Where did you encounter the mobs, if you don't mind me asking -- and what kind were they?

I've run into this before too. In some places, you can pick up multiple spawns when they pop close together. I got one yesterday that was a mix of hellbugs and raiders. There's also a spot I stumbled into with several hellbugs spawns that will all gang up on you if you run through the middle of them, and that's easily close to 2 dozen or more skitterlings, warriors and archers all at once.

AmishWarMachine
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Yesterday I ran into the "Wandering Raider Hulker" on the road SE of Iron Demon Ranch.... just as a Hellbug nest slaughtering event spawned.

Solo.

That was fun!

Mog
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
My favorite issue with the mobs is when you shoot one you seem to aggro every single mob in the whole vicinity. So trying to be stealthy and taking them out one at a time can be hard sometimes. Shoot one even from a distance and suddenly your facing all of them, even if they were inside buildings or on the other end of the encampment.

Astasia
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't think it's working as intended. It seems like there might be some sort of auto-scaling for open world missions based on the number of players participating, but sometimes when you are alone it's like the game throws something at you meant for 4 or 5 people, maybe because they drove trough the area a few minutes earlier or something. I haven't really had any problem with it so far, it's been really intense a few times, but by moving around a lot and hiding behind cover I've been able to solo everything the game has thrown at me.

Blackwolfe
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The opposite can also happen, sometimes you can pick off several enemies and no nearby enemies react.

Im not really a twitch player, I die sometimes but Im fine with it. Its not often, but when I die its often because of miscalculating a certain situation, or just bad luck.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I have seen this too. Every hellbug mission I do. At least now I'm hopefully that there are some balancing issues at play here and things aren't just working as intended.

Valethar
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I ran into the "Wandering Raider Hulker" on the road SE of Iron Demon Ranch.... just as a Hellbug nest slaughtering event spawned.

Solo.

That was fun!

I love those. Kill the bugs, leave the mounds up, and use those to stall his charges while you gun him.

Warlander
04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I find everything quite easy on pc, infact i was kind of surprised how easy it is.
but its definately fun, helps to keep a grenade launcher for back up when things get messy :P

Valethar
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
My favorite issue with the mobs is when you shoot one you seem to aggro every single mob in the whole vicinity. So trying to be stealthy and taking them out one at a time can be hard sometimes. Shoot one even from a distance and suddenly your facing all of them, even if they were inside buildings or on the other end of the encampment.

Yup. They should tweak the detection some. There's no way they should all be able to immediately know exactly where you are if you're at range with a sniper rifle, for example. If take one down with a head shot, I can see the 'alert status' being raised, but they shouldn't all be able to home right in on you right away.

DurtyHarry2029
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
you know I have to disagree because solo the dudes dont get buffed as they would with 2 or 3 or 4 etc... most of the time when i die repeatedly its because the person thats trying to do the quest with me sucks terribly and I wind up taking on all the buffed mobs.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM

Every hellbug related mission I've done has spawned multiple of the kind that have the "elite" in their name, sorry I'm too busy running, dodging and quickly dying (and then shouting at the tv :( ) to pay real close attention other than that. I had one spawn of 8 of those plus 6 of the flying ones and multiple of the little skittering (?) kinds yesterday while I was trying to collect some sample at some little pond. So I ran to let my shields restore and came back in, inching my way forward until they just all appeared at once, no red dots on the minimap, PLUS an additional spawn because apparently I crossed some magical (invisible) respawn point on my mad dash away. Sigh.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll give it a try

TeNMaN
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Always kill the archers or blastpods first when they show up. If you don't, you will get in trouble quick against mobs. For the elite warriors, let them charge you and wait for them to stand and roar at you - then hit them in the mouth weakspot for a quicker kill. Their other weakspot is on the tail area but it takes longer to kill them that way. Try to hit critical weakspots as much as you can against mobs.

Blak
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Make sure you have a long range weapon and a close range weapon setup. double sniper rifle isn't going to cut it unless you have the most amazing aim in the world.

With that in mind I suggest a Sub Machine gun for close range inside fights, and some type of long range weapon to clean out areas before you press on into close range areas.

At times your best weapon is your car. Enter an open area with guys on patrol at full speed and try to powerslide into the groups of guys.

Grenades Grenades Grenades. If you see guys clustered up a nice grenade followed by a clip from an SMG can often clear out a run quickly. Also I suggest Flash Bangs since they STUN the mobs and you can run up and spray head shots.

You need to learn how to fight while moving at all times, many mobs will blind side you since they spawn out of all sorts of random areas. Soon as a guy is ontop of you, melee strike them and dodge/roll away.

USE YOUR SPECIAL AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN. I must admit I fail to use mine as much as I should but you will be amazed at how well they can bail you out of a bad situation.

Make sure you are MODing your guns as you find them, you can add gun slots and build weapons that are pretty decent over the random items you find.

..... oh... and don't suck =P

Blackwolfe
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Actually, running over mobs no longer make your car level up faster. That changed during alpha/beta.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you. That has been my strategy, except I didnt realize there were weak spots. I'll try to use that next time.

Arch Fiend Folio
04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Shoot, Run, Reload.

Enough Said!

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I notice that the quotes aren't showing up to show who I'm replying to, sorry.

Blak
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Also a key thing when fighting the bugs is that their weak spots are NOT always exposed.

The belly is open for a short period of time when they rear up and get ready to charge wave.
The tail is exposed from the vent like flaps when it roars every so often.

So don't go spamming all your ammo on them unless a weak spot is clearly open ( BTW the tail is the longest pause for them )

Unknown
04-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Thank you. That has been my strategy, except I didnt realize there were weak spots. I'll try to use that next time.

Practically any npc/arkfall where part of the body glows is a weak spot ;) This is where it comes in very handy to turn the damage numbers on in the option menu as you find some less obvious weak spots you may not have known about previously :)

EDIT:
I think on the Matriach with an a fully auto assault rifle 222 damage, when it's shielded they hit for 44, and when not it crits at 333

Blak
04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I notice that the quotes aren't showing up to show who I'm replying to, sorry.

Are you using the "REPLY WITH QUOTE" option

Laonar
04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Follow the Five D's:

This is by far the best forum post on here lol.

AmishWarMachine
04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Practically any npc/arkfall where part of the body glows is a weak spot ;) This is where it comes in very handy to turn the damage numbers on in the option menu as you find some less obvious weak spots you may not have known about previously :)^ This ^

Unknown
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
This is by far the best forum post on here lol.

But I can't find the dodge button >.< ..... LOL (j/k)

Swarm
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
roll A LOT keep firing if you die come back and snipe a few or barrage them with a swarm cannon, grenade as soon as it cools, use ur powers like mad, i personally play solo and on my first loadout i have a full auto assault rifle and a bolt action sniper fire grenades and a respark II shield (for the short delay) other loadouts include grenade shotgun + pistol and rocket launcher + detonator i like o explode things when it seems the full auto isnt working that well :3

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes, have been using the reply with quote option. Could be something screwed up because of my phone. But thanks for the suggestion.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I have a sniper/AR load out and an AR/shotgun. Same grenades and shield on both cause I haven't found anything else. I'm also only being dropped very generic weapons, no mods, and only regular grenades except one bio grenade but I sold it before I realized the difference :(.
I sincerely do appreciate everyone's constructive help and suggestions.

Blackwolfe
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I prefer frag grenades for just about anything, except dark matter. For dark matter I use flashbangs.

TeNMaN
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Flashbangs are prob the best grenade for a mob or an elite because it stops them in their tracks. I highly suggest using one.

Also, as someone else suggested, it is a good idea to roll with long/mid range weapon and a short range weapon. I suggest using some sort of AR (TACC AR is my preference - best all around weapon in game) and then a SMG or shotty. SMG preference is FRC Carbine (best hipfire weapon in game) and shotgun preference is Auto-fragger (deadly up close). In actuality, I think those are maybe the three best weapons in the game. (Special award goes to the auto-lobber for most fun weapon!)

If you get good at hitting critical weakspots, a VBI Wolfhound pistol is an excellent choice as well since it fires fast and does major crit damage.

Darkeus
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I have a short range, mid range and long rage loadout for my toon. Dahlia Blackthorne is ready for all ranges of engagement. :p

But seriously, I use a Pistol/Shotgun set-up, a Grenade Launcher/Assault Rifle Setup and a Long range Rocket Launcher and Sniping Rifle for my distance loadout.

I find that learning to switch loadouts during a fight is very key to keeping a good variety of weapons fire on the NPC's. The roll is also pretty much crucial.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I have a short range, mid range and long rage loadout for my toon. Dahlia Blackthorne is ready for all ranges of engagement. :p

But seriously, I use a Pistol/Shotgun set-up, a Grenade Launcher/Assault Rifle Setup and a Long range Rocket Launcher and Sniping Rifle for my distance loadout.

I find that learning to switch loadouts during a fight is very key to keeping a good variety of weapons fire on the NPC's. The roll is also pretty much crucial.

I have 2 load outs available, but I have yet to even see a rocket launcher or grenade launcher, so I'll be sure to save a spot for those when they become available. I like the looks of the pistols (damage/crit wise) but can't seem to do much damage with them for the amount of reloading I have to do. I am getting better with aiming, but still have a long way to go. Thanks for the reply

Aranai
04-04-2013, 04:01 PM
IMO there is a scaling problem with the hellbugs... Im playing on the PS3 and i had to skip one side mission, because a Monarch spawned in front of me. I quit the mission, thinking it was a bug, but then the game again spawned one, on a side mission!, right in front of me, surrounded my elite-sniper? AOE bugs nuking me down.
And fighting a monarch alone takes way to long, don't understand how this is working as intended.

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Flashbangs are prob the best grenade for a mob or an elite because it stops them in their tracks. I highly suggest using one.

Also, as someone else suggested, it is a good idea to roll with long/mid range weapon and a short range weapon. I suggest using some sort of AR (TACC AR is my preference - best all around weapon in game) and then a SMG or shotty. SMG preference is FRC Carbine (best hipfire weapon in game) and shotgun preference is Auto-fragger (deadly up close). In actuality, I think those are maybe the three best weapons in the game. (Special award goes to the auto-lobber for most fun weapon!)

If you get good at hitting critical weakspots, a VBI Wolfhound pistol is an excellent choice as well since it fires fast and does major crit damage.

Thank you, I clearly just need to practice more. I have that pistol available, but rarely use it just because its more difficult for me to aim with it (well, its more difficult for me to HIT with it lol)

Darkeus
04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I love my pistol. I put a dang scope on it and use it to snipe close range enemies. That thing does a max of 1400 on a good and close critical. I have placed high in Arkfalls just with my pistol.

Which makes me even more frustrated that I cannot beat the Hotshot challenge with the stupid chickens.... :p

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
IMO there is a scaling problem with the hellbugs... Im playing on the PS3 and i had to skip one side mission, because a Monarch spawned in front of me. I quit the mission, thinking it was a bug, but then the game again spawned one, on a side mission!, right in front of me, surrounded my elite-sniper? AOE bugs nuking me down.
And fighting a monarch alone takes way to long, don't understand how this is working as intended.

^^This^^. :confused:

TeNMaN
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you, I clearly just need to practice more. I have that pistol available, but rarely use it just because its more difficult for me to aim with it (well, its more difficult for me to HIT with it lol)

I agree with you. The Wolfhound does take some skill to use. If you can master it though, it is easily one of the best weapons in the game. Not necessarily a great weapon against hellbug mobs.

If you have trouble aiming, prob a good idea to find some good hipfire weapons against the mobs. An SMG/shotty combo may help you out. Use flashbangs, dodge/roll, and stay on the move. If you get elemental damage that slows you down, dodge/roll until it goes away too!

doggirl211
04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree with you. The Wolfhound does take some skill to use. If you can master it though, it is easily one of the best weapons in the game. Not necessarily a great weapon against hellbug mobs.

If you have trouble aiming, prob a good idea to find some good hipfire weapons against the mobs. An SMG/shotty combo may help you out. Use flashbangs, dodge/roll, and stay on the move. If you get elemental damage that slows you down, dodge/roll until it goes away too!

Much thanks! I don't want to give up on this game out of frustration. I really do like the concept and execution (so far). I'm simply not used to being faced with so many seemingly overpowered enemies at the same time, no matter my use of tactics and general "sneakiness". I agree with others that have commented on gobs of mobs immediately homing in on you when you snipe one enemy. Seems so unfair, like your level of tactics and smarts just don't matter in this game at all. Here's hoping these things WILL get balanced out!

TeNMaN
04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Much thanks! I don't want to give up on this game out of frustration. I really do like the concept and execution (so far). I'm simply not used to being faced with so many seemingly overpowered enemies at the same time, no matter my use of tactics and general "sneakiness". I agree with others that have commented on gobs of mobs immediately homing in on you when you snipe one enemy. Seems so unfair, like your level of tactics and smarts just don't matter in this game at all. Here's hoping these things WILL get balanced out!

You're welcome. I primarily play solo too but have some friends on here that have contributed to this thread - Opus and Valethar. You can always look us up in game if you need help (Opus plays under a diff name though - she's cool like that!). All three of us have played this game pretty extensively! Good luck. :)

Unknown
04-04-2013, 04:19 PM

This isn't a bug it's called "A challenge" or when you have the right equipment and tactic a fight that's easily achievable. I've soloed too many Monarchs to count already.

Digital Tetsuo
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
ive soloed almost every quest so far....the best ego to use is decoy if soloing then-grenade-shoot-decoy-reload then shoot while healing-and then repeat. dont forget to roll and try to find a shield with quick regen

Skeety
04-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I do group but mostly I solo because I like earning something myself when possible instead of just getting credit.;)

I read the whole thread up to this point and only saw one person mention using melee attacks (the convenient F key). It is surprisingly powerful when mobs get in your face or you want to charge them. I often 1-shot just by hitting the F key, but mostly it takes from 2 to 4 hits. Melee is very effective in close fighting.

I'm not afraid of dieing. It appears to me that they only take a small fee anymore instead of a percentage of script for dieing. My experience seems to support that. That makes dieing an affordable tactic that can be used when greatly outnumbered. Even when dieing a lot I end up with a net profit in script. When I run back to the fight (use the Shift key to increase speed) without delay then I've found that mobs already killed tend to not spawn, but they will if I take too much time to get back to the fight. This lets me slowly reduce the huge number of mobs and eventually win against being severely outnumbered! It just takes time. I think this is intended by design to help the solo player.

Another
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I'll admit I'm new to console gaming and don't completely have the hang of aiming/connecting with my shots just yet, but I am nowhere close to new at mmo gaming on the pc, and I am shocked by the sheer volume of mobs I'm having to face solo in this game. Lets get this out of the way first, I like this game and am excited to see where it goes, but I don't know how much longer I can play something that throws TWO DOZEN mobs at a time at me, most of which I have to hit at least a dozen or more times before they go down. And I'm not factoring in the times I obviously miss them because I'm not good at aiming yet. I can't hardly believe this is working as intended. It's not a case of bad tactics as I utilize cover when approaching a mission area, but no matter what I do, an insane number of mobs appears and mows me down.

I enjoy playing solo because I like to read missions and look around areas completely before I move on, so teaming up with me really just serves to frustrate most people as they're in a rush to move from one mission to the next. I feel like the numerous videos I watched of devs saying this game is easily soloable really aren't factual and am a bit disappointed in it due to what feels like a bit of false advertisement on that front. And please don't tell me that "it's an mmo, its not meant to be solo'ed". That's just insulting.

I pretty much did every main mission and 20+ side missions solo. Not hard at all

Khabal
04-04-2013, 05:43 PM
I do group but mostly I solo because I like earning something myself when possible instead of just getting credit.;)

I read the whole thread up to this point and only saw one person mention using melee attacks (the convenient F key). It is surprisingly powerful when mobs get in your face or you want to charge them. I often 1-shot just by hitting the F key, but mostly it takes from 2 to 4 hits. Melee is very effective in close fighting.

I'm not afraid of dieing. It appears to me that they only take a small fee anymore instead of a percentage of script for dieing. My experience seems to support that. That makes dieing an affordable tactic that can be used when greatly outnumbered. Even when dieing a lot I end up with a net profit in script. When I run back to the fight (use the Shift key to increase speed) without delay then I've found that mobs already killed tend to not spawn, but they will if I take too much time to get back to the fight. This lets me slowly reduce the huge number of mobs and eventually win against being severely outnumbered! It just takes time. I think this is intended by design to help the solo player.

Yeah dying and re-spawning (while reloading your ammo) can be very useful. One time in late Alpha testing I managed to take on the entirety of a Major Scrapper Arkfall by myself. Unfortunately I didnt manage to kill the final spawn, I was about 20-30 seconds away from soloing an entire major arkfall. And at that time you didnt have ammo at every spawn point- but you did carry 2x as much. At the time I was using a pretty sweet Fire SAW light machine gun, and a radioactive pistol. I was hitting between 400 and 850 at a time with my SAW's crits and between 1500 and a couple times 2800 with my revolver. Learn to only shoot when you have to, aiming at weakpoints as much as possible.

A perfect example of how much you need criticals ; I've seen that a few players are having trouble with matriarchs. These oversized cockroaches aren't too bad when you know how to take them down:
- Aim at the belly when they rear up or are stuck in a wall/the ground from a stab attack.
- Learn to read their ranged attack, when they reach into the air its coming, so dodge to the side to get out of range, then start smashing on their exposed underside while they attack.
- When they start tipping forward for their rolling attack, once again dodge! When they stop and are stunned the armor on their tale opens up. Under this armor is another weakpoint, and if done right you can throw a huge chunk of damage at them before they recover.
- Grenades are always your friend. On her I would say focus mostly on frags, as they have the best damage. (I need to mess more with some of the new burning ones, in alpha we had a napalm one that would coat the ground in a burning AOE and would decimate waves of skitterlings and pretty much anything else caught in it (including major arkfall bosses)). More Damage is Always your friend.
- Defensively, when they only bring up one claw, dodge backwards (away) from them and keep firing. They need a quick moment to recover from the swing, so good opportunity for dump some more ammo into him.

Basically, learn weak-points, dodge, grenade, watch for attacks and dodge accordingly, lots of bullets, more dodging and grenades. Once you get the best targets, just crit them away. Works for pretty much everything.

Ruin Born
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM

Sorry but these enemies are easy peasy for a shooter and there really are not a lot of eneimes that are tough except in an ark fall. Go for head shots on people, melee the sheild bearers then headshot or flank, and shoot glowing weak spots on animals and constructs.

If you like taking your time go with a boltaction sniper, shoot in head then move shoot move repeat.

kokotane
04-14-2013, 12:57 AM
i go full rambo and solo everything pretty easily with my shottie and blur .
Just need to get back in cover when reloading .

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 01:45 AM
(this game can punish you for going rambo).

I did what essentially amounts to rambo for most of the game (admittedly there were a few times where sitting back and sniping or sitting behind cover shooting grenades over was necessary) but I'm also not on console and have plenty of experience with shooters of all sorts. It's also not hard to put yourself in a situation where you completely screw yourself over and basically just have to sit back and go "whelp, that was stupid. time to try again."

I guess that's not all that helpful, but keep in mind that even playing a pretty run n gun rambo style with shotguns/smgs and Blur, I still had to be careful and tactical, particularly in San Francisco, and I died plenty from dumb mistakes.

Anyways, as others have said, movement, use of terrain, and assessing danger and things like that are all important. Some twitch skill can help you in a pinch but things in this game are so lethal that it isn't really the primary factor.

I'm trying to be as understanding as possible here, as I think any savvy shooter player is going to take for granted that this game can be difficult for some people, but I think I get it. A lot of these things are basically second nature to me at this point.

Youngwings
04-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Honesetly, All melee Enemies are too direct and easily dodged, and Ranged Enemies are too predictable and idiotic to really pose a threat... only the Tanker, Blacklung, Bulwark and Forges are the true threats. I guess i am an above avg player, but i feel like the more enemies there are, the more fun it is.

Baerrwin
04-14-2013, 01:50 AM

There's a bunch of videos over on youtube that show the weakspots of most of the MOBs in game. The video's show each group. Once I knew what the Hellbug weakpoints were, the Hellbug encounters were MUCH MUCH easier. In fact I would rather face a bunch of elite Hellbugs than any of the humanoid MOBs in the game. Hellbugs are mostly melee (ex Archers and those Spitting mounds).

Pretty much anything that is humanoid has a ranged weapon so it's harder to kite them around. It becomes more important with those MOBs to LOS them and headshot them whenever possible (also backpack hits are good).

I still think that the strikes on bases have a few too many People in them to be soloable. I went back and did Sniper's ridge on an Alt and was surprised at how hard it was to do without someone helping you clear out the multitudes. So they probably have a few too many badguys spawning in most of the Outdoor Missions IMHO.

Baerrwin
04-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Honesetly, All melee Enemies are too direct and easily dodged, and Ranged Enemies are too predictable and idiotic to really pose a threat... only the Tanker, Blacklung, Bulwark and Forges are the true threats. I guess i am an above avg player, but i feel like the more enemies there are, the more fun it is.

What this game really needs is a difficulty setting. So us Skillless noobz can still have fun and the folk who want a greater challenge can get that for themselves. It shouldn't even be too hard to do. Just have a setting that causes the game to perceive the avatar as counting as half a person for easy mode. 1 person for normal, and Multiple people for harder and harder difficulties.

Youngwings
04-14-2013, 01:55 AM
What this game really needs is a difficulty setting. So us Skillless noobz can still have fun and the folk who want a greater challenge can get that for themselves. It shouldn't even be too hard to do. Just have a setting that causes the game to perceive the avatar as counting as half a person for easy mode. 1 person for normal, and Multiple people for harder and harder difficulties.

or different servers, a Normal server, hard server and Impossible Server

Draugluin
04-14-2013, 02:14 AM

What I have read through these pages, it looks like you really do. I found the start extremely hard. I didn't hit at all, mutant melee men just added injury to an insult by coming straight to me and if I was lucky I had one hit, 20% of mutants life bar. Geez.

However, I was absolutely certain this is not what the game is intentional all about. It should be researchable, finding best tactics against different monster types.

Yes, there are silly "ambushes" where mobs pop out of thin air. I have died many times on those (one was also getting samples from a lake. Swimming there when hellbug archers slowed me and some more mutilated my body beyond recognition.

The second time I knew to be on ground take the ambush, but still run away and come back when mobs have lost their surprising edge.

Oh, and one more thing. Hip shots are not very reliable. Not even with a shotgun. Takes good amount of accuracy to get that kind of shooting in order.

Archimedez
04-14-2013, 02:15 AM
There are way too many fan boys on this forum defending an unfinished an unbalanced product.
This game comes at a full price and as such has to compete with Bioshock Infinite or Farcry 3 and totally fails in doing so.
The encounter design is ridiculously bad.
Ninety percent of all encounters consist of clown car spawn traps, usually combined with a couple of guys throwing grenades from long distance and perfect precision.
Both area damage and range are too high, so that even when you roll out while the grenade is on the fly you still get hit.
Then there are the numerous SMG guys who also fire from distance with high precision and high damage.
So even crouched behind a rock and with 30% damage reduction from perks your shield is dropped by two Joe average SMG guys in like one salvo.
I could go on and on, but what is the point really?
In one year from now the game will still have most of the encounter related issues and I would be surprised if by then they even added 20% more FREE content.

Draugluin
04-14-2013, 03:25 AM
You've got valid points, Archimedez. However, game is doable, but not without trial and error providing a learning curve. The curve is deep and it starts very tough at the very beginning. I haven't finished yet with the quests, but this far it has been soloable. Of course, with a couple of more players it becomes more fun.

Jibi
04-14-2013, 03:54 AM
In open world missions if you get surrounded by too many enemies you can retreat to a point where the mob does not chase you anymore but pull back to the mission area. This does allow them to gain back their hp and shield BUT it does not resurrect the enemies that you have already killed. By repeating this it's quite easy to complete these missions.

Lambchops
04-14-2013, 03:56 AM
There are way too many fan boys on this forum defending an unfinished an unbalanced product.
This game comes at a full price and as such has to compete with Bioshock Infinite or Farcry 3 and totally fails in doing so.
The encounter design is ridiculously bad.
Ninety percent of all encounters consist of clown car spawn traps, usually combined with a couple of guys throwing grenades from long distance and perfect precision.
Both area damage and range are too high, so that even when you roll out while the grenade is on the fly you still get hit.
Then there are the numerous SMG guys who also fire from distance with high precision and high damage.
So even crouched behind a rock and with 30% damage reduction from perks your shield is dropped by two Joe average SMG guys in like one salvo.
I could go on and on, but what is the point really?
In one year from now the game will still have most of the encounter related issues and I would be surprised if by then they even added 20% more FREE content.

This game doesn't have to compete with Bioshock Infinite or Farcry 3, first of all. Not directly anyways. This game and those games occupy a completely separate market among gamers. This game is more likely competing with games like GW2, The Secret World, Firefall (once it actually comes out) and whatever else is new in the MMO market, as well as people returning to old MMOs.

As far as the "clown car spawn traps" thing, that is part of the MMO side. It's just something you are going to have to learn to deal with in MMOs. It's inherent in the genre. How else would you propose they handle this? Would you rather the enemies just randomly pop in like they do in other MMOs? I'm not a huge fan of that particular design outside of MMOs, but I realize it's a necessary evil for MMOs specifically.

This game has plenty of problems no doubt, but I'd prefer if you actually understood the genre and the game before you start spouting off nonsense. Would you rather this game be a cake walk? You are exaggerating quite a bit here.

judge dread42
04-14-2013, 04:33 AM
I know this sounds really stupid, but patience plays a factor if you are solo. Sniper the high threat targets before going in. Once in, dodge around picking off the smaller threats, then finish off the big threat.
So true i snipe as many of the small guys as i can ( when they start running towards me i cloak and let them g back) after a few times making them run back and fort i walk in with my AR and kill big guys as fast as possible then move onto mission objective.

Kogasa Tatara
04-14-2013, 04:37 AM
At the very least, the crown car spawning isn't ENDLESS. They'll stop spawning for you after a certain amount of people have been exhausted. Really, the only mob that bugs me about this are the Dark Matter guys, because their accuracy is excessive!

XyBor
04-14-2013, 05:00 AM
I am at the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" mission and am completely frustrated too. I picked off a few enemies on the street and suddenly kept getting firebombed and electrocuted by "invisible" enemies. I would respawn still on fire and die. Respawn again, try to run for some cover, be set on fire & die again. This happened literally about 7 times while trying to get on my vehicle to leave. Somehow I dropped from 11,000 scrip to 6,000 in that 5 minutes. There were NO enemies around me. I just shut the console off at that point. I've played many mmo's over the years but none were nearly as frustrating (or as isolative - no one is ever around) as this one. Was this another glitch?

ten4
04-14-2013, 05:07 AM
Depends platform maybe...I play on PC and mobs are so easy to kill; only time it gets difficult is when they swarm but even then..... AI here is like just above 'zombie' level lol.

Archimedez
04-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Of course it has to compete with those shooters and not with MMORPGs, because it is in no way an RPG.
And you are the one that obviously has no clue about the genre.
The normal way to do encounters is to have them spawned already and then pull and progress group by group.
Which can be a tactical game on its own, to determine which and how many enemies will come and how to deal with them.
In this game you have no idea what the clown cars will spit out.

Thunderclap
04-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Follow the Five D's:

And don't get hit with 20 ton piece of glowing neon irony either.

Thunderclap
04-14-2013, 06:41 AM
Thats why we need more dots! otherwise its a #@$% DKP -50

DeMoted
04-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Change this thread to Awesome amounts of mobs to kill.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 07:22 AM
The high number of mobs is to counter the poor ai. The enemies you fight are completely brain dead so they just throw more of them at you.

Multigun
04-14-2013, 07:26 AM
And here I thought the game was too easy with the occasional challenge....It just depends on how you play, if you have played these types of games before, what console, etc. I play PC with keyboard and mouse and have played plenty of over the shoulder shooters to know what I'm doing with a gun in my hand. Just depends on the person though. If it's too challenging for you (and others) all I can say is keep practicing and wait just a bit longer for area chat to become implemented to call out for help.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Guys...its a bug that not everyone is experiencing. Not to call anyone out or anything...this game is not easy when they do this. If you fought 30 tough guys solo and didn't die once....I would have to see it to believe it. Practice and skill with a gun means ZERO in these conditions. I've watched youtube vids of some of the missions i've done solo, and the guys in the videos didn't have this issue. It was a normal amount of mobs.

I'm very good with any shooting game and tactics also...but I know for a fact that some of you guys saying its easy do not have this problem.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 07:39 AM
If you fought 30 tough guys solo and didn't die once....I would have to see it to believe it.

All enemies will walk straight towards you. They won't do anything else, they don't surround you, they just walk straight at you. 1 corner in Defiance can defeat the entire enemy force.

Once you realize this the game becomes very easy.

Bori
04-14-2013, 07:40 AM

This ! If you charge in and try to take 20 mobs in a frontal assault you deserver to have your arse handed to you :D

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 07:49 AM
All enemies will walk straight towards you. They won't do anything else, they don't surround you, they just walk straight at you. 1 corner in Defiance can defeat the entire enemy force.

Once you realize this the game becomes very easy.

How far in the game are you?....that is so wrong. Some enemies specifically flank you like the lil flame thrower runners and bulwarks are very sneaky too. You are 100% wrong friend...seriously.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 07:49 AM
How far in the game are you?....that is so wrong. Some enemies specifically flank you like the lil flame thrower runners and bulwarks are very sneaky too. You are 100% wrong friend...seriously.

Nope, they run right at you too. This is very evident in the mines mission. Straight at you. Shield guys as well. Find a corner and have your way. Please at least, you know, think about what you are seeing before telling people they are wrong. I mean this is so painfully obvious it's been pointed out by so many people.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 07:53 AM
This ! If you charge in and try to take 20 mobs in a frontal assault you deserver to have your arse handed to you :D

Not sure if you read all the posts but I was in the military, I have a thorough understanding of cover and tactics. Going rambo in these situations is almost BETTER than trying to pick people off and use cover.

I dont feel up to debating it so i'll end with this...if you have not been in this situation, dont talk about how easy it is. In san fran, where the tougher guys are, I had a mission with about 30 guys, a mixture of dark matter enforcers, snipers, couple bulwarks, etc...no tactics invented would get you through that unscathed. I've been looking for videos, seen none yet. I was in a party with a friend doing the same mission but not on the same server...he did not face the mobs I did.

NOT EVERYONE HAS THIS ISSUE. If you don't, your "it's easy" comments are pretty baseless.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Nope, they run right at you too. This is very evident in the mines mission. Straight at you. Shield guys as well. Find a corner and have your way. Please at least, you know, think about what you are seeing before telling people they are wrong. I mean this is so painfully obvious it's been pointed out by so many people.

Sure thing you got it bro.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Sure thing you got it bro.

Have you done the mines mission? They spawn and run straight at you.

It's the most obvious thing in the world. You thought they were flanking you? Lol they were taking the shortest path to get to you, you just don't understand how to control them.

ten4
04-14-2013, 07:58 AM

No, he is not wrong at all. AI here is...well, not that good unless they swarm and even then a simple pillar is all that is needed to thwart entire waves. They do not flank, just come right at you until you are dead or they are. If they do 'flank', that's because they are taking shortest route to get to you lol.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Have you done the mines mission? They spawn and run straight at you.

It's the most obvious thing in the world. You thought they were flanking you? Lol they were taking the shortest path to get to you, you just don't understand how to control them.

I beat nim yesterday. Fought every enemy...thats why I KNOW you're wrong. I've been surrounded lots of times, I've seen them split up TO flank me. Not sure what you think you saw.

You said all enemies run straight at you...I can't argue with you. You are either lying on purpose or are not far in the game. What about dark matter snipers, and enforcers...they run straight at you to?

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I beat nim yesterday. Fought every enemy...thats why I KNOW you're wrong. I've been surrounded lots of times, I've seen them split up TO flank me. Not sure what you think you saw.

You said all enemies run straight at you...I can't argue with you. You are either lying on purpose or are not far in the game. What about dark matter snipers, and enforcers...they run straight at you to?

Read the post above you. Sorry you are just apparently really bad at reading the action. But anyways, most decent players saw this almost immediately.

BKB Black Steel
Obviously we are on two different games guys....my mistake. Like I said...if you have 30 enemies attacking you....your pillar will not save you. Even if they DID come straight at you....you have a gun that can kill 25 guys before you get killed?

Gilamunsta
Ummm, strafe, dodge, run, reload, rinse and repeat - and my apologies for you having been mollycoddled by your previous gaming experience...

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Obviously we are on two different games guys....my mistake. Like I said...if you have 30 enemies attacking you....your pillar will not save you. Even if they DID come straight at you....you have a gun that can kill 25 guys before you get killed?

Yes it can and yes I do.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Read the post above you. Sorry you are just apparently really bad at reading the action. How you can misread behavior that is this simple is impressive. But anyways, most decent players saw this almost immediately.

How far are you? And whats the most enemies you fought at once? What was the name of the san fran mission when you took controlof their mech?

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:12 AM
How far are you? And whats the most enemies you fought at once? What was the name of the san fran mission when you took controlof their mech?

Nobody likes to be wrong BKB but it happens to all of us. Seriously, go in game and test for yourself. The ai is terrible.

Not going to argue something so self evident any more. GL.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Ummm, strafe, dodge, run, reload, rinse and repeat - and my apologies for you having been mollycoddled by your previous gaming experience...

Would you mind giving me your gamertag? And you as well Gohlar?

Shinji Ex
04-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Grenades and Rocket Launchers.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Nobody likes to be wrong BKB but it happens to all of us. Seriously, go in game and test for yourself. The ai is terrible.

Not going to argue something so self evident any more. GL.

Lol....cant answer the questions can you? You're probably not very far. Way to try and bow out gracefully.

If we all just share our gamertags, we can solve this riddle.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I've completed every mission available to date, and I can confidently say that none of them were actually difficult. The only possible exception to that is NIM, who is not really difficult once you learn how to handle him. Everything was done solo, as well.

While the AI is not simple, it is in no way advanced. I would rate it as fairly average.

While this is an MMO, you cannot treat it like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, or EverQuest. It is nothing like those. From your description (speaking to the OP here), it really seems like a failure to adapt to the game. You simply cannot expect the game to adapt to you.

Shinji Ex
04-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Sometimes though it's Borderlands 2 all over again LOL :)

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Lol....cant answer the questions can you? You're probably not very far. Way to try and bow out gracefully.

If we all just share our gamertags, we can solve this riddle.

The scariest part is you served in the military and yet are confounded by enemies running straight at you. That's disturbing imo.

If you just beat the mines, I'm further than you. If you were smarter you'd realize that as I used that fight as an example to debunk your claim. It would be hard to do that if I wasn't very far wouldn't it?

At this point I realize I'm just picking on a frustrated guy who said something stupid and doesn't want to admit it so I should probably stop lol.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Why do people keep bringing up the difficulty?

I'm not saying the a.i. is great or complex...but they do have a mob spawn issue, and enemies DONT all run straight at you! Hell snipers never even move towards you, so you already are wrong when you say they run at you.

I'll wait to get these guys tags and check their achievements...unless I called their bluff and they left. The game isn't that hard until they throw 30 enemies at you. If that hasn't happened to you as a player, why are you even in this thread? It's not a difficulty thread or a "I have l33t skills" thread.

Tgreen
04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Change this thread to Awesome amounts of mobs to kill.

Only possibility of having too many mobs are some of the larger Dark Matter emergencies, where there's almost no cover, mobs spawning on all sides including elites and maybe a Bulkwark just because it's so fun to respawn.
Fighting Dark Matter (outside of missions and the Living to Kill pursuit) in greater numbers is something I really can't recommend right now ... so much higher damage (and they are really accurate at longer ranges as well), more health and pretty much the same reward as your standard 99er dude.

For other types of mobs in large numbers, get a detonator and cluster grenade and start the fireworks.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:25 AM
The scariest part is you served in the military. If you just beat the mines, I'm further than you. If you were smarter you'd realize that as I used that fight as an example to debunk your claim. It would be hard to do that if I wasn't very far wouldn't it?

Stop making the military look stupid. At this point I realize I'm just picking on a frustrated guy who said something stupid and doesn't want to admit it so I should probably stop lol.

In all honesty, if you aren't sharing your gamertag so we can prove our progress...you can consider yourself ignored. You're resorting to typical forum behaviour now, so I think I have my answer. Keep trying to look cool on the internet though. :)

I already stated I beat the game, pay attention..lol

I'm right until you prove me wrong.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Why do people keep bringing up the difficulty?

I'm not saying the a.i. is great or complex...but they do have a mob spawn issue, and enemies DONT all run straight at you! Hell snipers never even move towards you, so you already are wrong when you say they run at you.

I'll wait to get these guys tags and check their achievements...unless I called their bluff and they left. The game isn't that hard until they throw 30 enemies at you. If that hasn't happened to you as a player, why are you even in this thread? It's not a difficulty thread or a "I have l33t skills" thread.

I don't know what gamer tag you are talking about =/. Is it for XBOX or PS or something?

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't know what gamer tag you are talking about =/. Is it for XBOX or PS or something?

It means xbox.

In all honesty, if you aren't sharing your gamertag so we can prove our progress...

Sorry BKB I don't play on xbox, I'm a much smarter consumer.

I edited out some snarkyness, I actually feel bad for you. Just go see for yourself and be humbled. You need to learn to accept when you make a mistake.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
It means xbox. Sorry BKB I don't play on xbox, I'm a much smarter consumer.

Ok, who's the last boss? Or just answer me this...whats the mission called when you steal their mech? You can "kinda" prove me sorta wrong, at least about your progress....right here and now.

I see whenever you get a chance to prove you know what you're talking about, you just do some little kid stuff. You have a good day friend.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Ok, who's the last boss? Or just answer me this...whats the mission called when you steal their mech? You can "kinda" prove me sorta wrong, at least about your progress....right here and now.

I see whenever you get a chance to prove you know what you're talking about, you just do some little kid stuff. You have a good day friend.

Why are you even asking him all of this ****? You act like it's hard to complete the missions in the game.

Out51d3r
04-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Getting jumped by huge groups of enemies is one of the things I like about this game. In most mmos you are some useless peon grouped up with another 20 or so useless peons to fight some powerful dragon/wizard/whatever. In this game, you are the powerful wizard/dragon/whatever fighting the 20 or so useless peons. I think it's working as intended, for the most part(I'm sure there's a few glitched areas here and there though). MMORPG players are used to the "fight one thing at a time" playstyle, but most games outside the genre don't actually work that way.

This game isn't that tough, even in all those situations where you get jumped by 20+ guys. Be aware of what's going on around you. Move around alot. Don't give more than 3 or so guys line of sight to you at once. Learn which targets need to be prioritized first. Hit and run when you have to. Every time you come out of cover, try to kill at least one guy(preferably two), then get back into cover. If there isn't any cover, run like hell until you find some. Avoid aggroing other groups of mobs while you are running around. Spec into defensive perks.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Go find a corner and see for yourself. I'd feel pretty stupid too though, thinking AI has been flanking you this whole time is embarrassing.

I have no idea what the missions are called, they are pretty forgettable and I haven't struggled with any of them.

Why are you even asking him all of this ****? You act like it's hard to complete the missions in the game.

He's one of those guys who just can't admit they made a mistake so he tried to take the focus off his error. I have no idea why he wants me to list mission names though lol. I guess he really does think the game is hard. It's not surprising from his comments.

ten4
04-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Think whole problem is that this thread is a mix of platforms and their impressions. On PC, mouse and keyboard makes these enemies trivial at least for me. I could not even imagine tryin to do as well with a d-pad.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Think whole problem is that this thread is a mix of platforms and their impressions. On PC, mouse and keyboard makes these enemies trivial at least for me. I could not even imagine tryin to do as well with a d-pad.

I actually kick back on my couch with a controller for pve. BKB is just, I'll be nice, not great at the game.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 08:43 AM

Ehhh, that's a poor excuse. I grew up on console gaming, and prefer PC gaming now. While PC may have precision advantage, it's not a huge one. There's no way being on a console and being jumped by 20-30 mobs is gaming breaking, but being on a PC will make it a non-issue.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Ehhh, that's a poor excuse. I grew up on console gaming, and prefer PC gaming now. While PC may have precision advantage, it's not a huge one. There's no way being on a console and being jumped by 20-30 mobs is gaming breaking, but being on a PC will make it a non-issue.

One thing that could matter is the frame rate. It probably is easier being locked at 60 fps in heavy combat than chugging along with an xbox.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
One thing that could matter is the frame rate. It probably is easier being locked at 60 fps in heavy combat than chugging along with an xbox.

That may be true. Even still though, you really think it would make THAT much of a difference? After completing it all, I just find it hard to believe anyone could have that hard of a time with it, excluding annoying bugs.

Gohlar
04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
That may be true. Even still though, you really think it would make THAT much of a difference? After completing it all, I just find it hard to believe anyone could have that hard of a time with it, excluding annoying bugs.

Nah you're right it wouldn't make that much of a difference. I doubt xbox ever runs at like 3 fps or something drastic enough to effect the game that much.

Man it looks fugly though. PvE plays great on a PC with a controller if anyone cares. Once I hooked my computer up to my TV a couple years ago I find myself using my controller a lot more.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 08:58 AM

And how exactly am I acting like that by asking him this? He and some other guy came in here with some baseless comments. I'm asking for proof how far he is in the game because he is dead wrong. He immediately went into internet-rage mode, disrespecting and talking down to me, instead of providing any proof as to where he is in game. Several of his comments lead me to think i'm in fact further than him and have more knowledge in my comments. He just dances around my questions and hides behind what he thinks is a really personal, clever shot at me (military), but to me he sounds like a 15 yr old.

He didn't even respond to the dark matter sniper comment, I doubt he knows what the hell i'm talking about. He might even google the answers to my questions later....lol

But you need to stop turning this bug into a difficulty thing...i'm done with the main story, obviously I didn't have to much of a problem. But I hate when people act like they are more skilled than everyone else or their experience is 100% identical to someone elses.

I never was having the critical error message when the launch happened like a lot of people, but you didn't see me in those threads, posting "you just need better internet" comments. They had a problem, I didn't... it happens. Same with this issue, I bet none of you claiming its kinda easy, HAD 30 guys spawn at once, like the waves got confused and just all rushed out. Some of MY friends didn't, so I know for a fact not everyone has it. Thats all i'm saying but people are ignoring that and keep dropping basic tips and ridiculous comments.

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I actually kick back on my couch with a controller for pve. BKB is just, I'll be nice, not great at the game.

I wish we were on the same console but since we aren't, nothing we can do about me proving that wrong.

Archimedez
04-14-2013, 09:11 AM
@ BKB Black Steel just ignore the trolls man.
Everyone who is actually playing the game with their eyes open knows that some enemies are flanking, they even have voice overs for it!

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:11 AM

well on the ps3 its the circle button...you have to double tap to roll, i cant remember the buttons on the xbox, but you can dodge on this game...on the xbox it would probably be the right button im figuring

Old97
04-14-2013, 09:12 AM
This thread could go on endlessly. The truth is than some people are more experienced/skilled at shooter games than other people. The skilled folks will find the game encounters not very difficult to somewhat difficult a few times, but overall not too challenging. Those people need to be playing Dark Souls all the time, or BL2 on True Vault Hunter mode if they want a challenge.

I find the game doable, sometimes challenging due to excessive mob spawns or really wacky boss fights. I have had multiple Raider Rioters spawn right next to me and deal out instant death with their shotguns. I use the Big Boomer on the Monarchs. I have an extended magazine mod on it, so I get three shots before I have to reload. It's just time consuming.

The raider accuracy with their shield-bashing SMGs is alarming. Get several wacking on you at one time and you have instant trouble. Best to kill them quickly. I also prefer the Respark shield for it's fast recharge.

I have the long-range sight on my assault rifles and LMG, so they are almost as accurate as a sniper rifle. I do agree that a short range weapon is needed, particularily against the charging cleaver guys, who, like many enemies in this game, are amazingly fast sometimes, or spawn in multitudes right next to you.

Personally, I don't like the weird concept of 'BOSS' fights in shooter games. I would prefer the enemies to get smarter and better armed, and the situations to get tactically more challenging. But, oh well, a guess a lot of people like the boss fights. So they are in Defiance.

I am enjoying the game so far, even with it's acknowledged problems. However, I don't think it's very supportive to those players who are experiencing some difficulties to berate them as sissies or just incompetent. They are trying hard, but just finding the game to be a bit harder than the better or more experienced players. The advice has been good when it's been constructive. The bragging has been silly, and makes the poster seem like an arrogant prick. It's like bragging that you are taller than someone else.

ten4
04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Hmm, wtb true and ultimate ark hunter mode. ;)

I went back to BL2 other night and got my butt kicked cus I was still in Defiance mode where I just run into a spawn blindly and start shooting. LOL!

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Getting jumped by huge groups of enemies is one of the things I like about this game. In most mmos you are some useless peon grouped up with another 20 or so useless peons to fight some powerful dragon/wizard/whatever. In this game, you are the powerful wizard/dragon/whatever fighting the 20 or so useless peons. I think it's working as intended, for the most part(I'm sure there's a few glitched areas here and there though). MMORPG players are used to the "fight one thing at a time" playstyle, but most games outside the genre don't actually work that way.

This game isn't that tough, even in all those situations where you get jumped by 20+ guys. Be aware of what's going on around you. Move around alot. Don't give more than 3 or so guys line of sight to you at once. Learn which targets need to be prioritized first. Hit and run when you have to. Every time you come out of cover, try to kill at least one guy(preferably two), then get back into cover. If there isn't any cover, run like hell until you find some. Avoid aggroing other groups of mobs while you are running around. Spec into defensive perks.

agreed, most of the time when i get flanked i run like hell thinking " well dammit man, that didnt work lmao " i have a ton of fun with mobs with my cluster grenades:::enter country hick voice ::::they're my best freeeyand:::: lmao...and thats what makes this game awesome, the AI isnt just gonna let you shoot em, they're gonna flank you, biiiig time and youll have to be aware of that at all times which can be difficult if youre getting swarmed, but its possible to be a boss with a mob of 20+ guys lol

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
@ BKB Black Steel just ignore the trolls man.
Everyone who is actually playing the game with their eyes open knows that some enemies are flanking, they even have voice overs for it!

I'm about to start.

It just amazes me because nowhere in this thread have I said , "oh its too hard", or "I cant beat this or that". I just have had a couple times when things got CRAZY! He's just kinda annoying how he got straight to personal attacks and disrespect over something this pointless. And be so wrong about so much and think he's right. It's always a challenge for me to ignore this kind of blatant ignorance, but i'm working on it every day! lol

And I agree..it CAN be fun but it can also get annoying at times...I wont say when for spoilers sake! I tried out pvp finally and had a great time...just wish I could run into that kid on xbox somehow :(

But hey Gomer....if you notice, other people are saying the enemies flank as well....what game are you playing?

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
This thread could go on endlessly. The truth is than some people are more experienced/skilled at shooter games than other people. The skilled folks will find the game encounters not very difficult to somewhat difficult a few times, but overall not too challenging. Those people need to be playing Dark Souls all the time, or BL2 on True Vault Hunter mode if they want a challenge.

I find the game doable, sometimes challenging due to excessive mob spawns or really wacky boss fights. I have had multiple Raider Rioters spawn right next to me and deal out instant death with their shotguns. I use the Big Boomer on the Monarchs. I have an extended magazine mod on it, so I get three shots before I have to reload. It's just time consuming.

The raider accuracy with their shield-bashing SMGs is alarming. Get several wacking on you at one time and you have instant trouble. Best to kill them quickly. I also prefer the Respark shield for it's fast recharge.

I have the long-range sight on my assault rifles and LMG, so they are almost as accurate as a sniper rifle. I do agree that a short range weapon is needed, particularily against the charging cleaver guys, who, like many enemies in this game, are amazingly fast sometimes, or spawn in multitudes right next to you.

Personally, I don't like the weird concept of 'BOSS' fights in shooter games. I would prefer the enemies to get smarter and better armed, and the situations to get tactically more challenging. But, oh well, a guess a lot of people like the boss fights. So they are in Defiance.

I am enjoying the game so far, even with it's acknowledged problems. However, I don't think it's very supportive to those players who are experiencing some difficulties to berate them as sissies or just incompetent. They are trying hard, but just finding the game to be a bit harder than the better or more experienced players. The advice has been good when it's been constructive. The bragging has been silly, and makes the poster seem like an arrogant prick. It's like bragging that you are taller than someone else.

well if someone is bragging about being taller than me, then itll make nut shots on em a lot easier lol, j/k

Fiancee
04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
It gets better later and after you've leveled up your weapon skills, basically more everything, crit, faster reload etc.

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm about to start.

It just amazes me because nowhere in this thread have I said , "oh its too hard", or "I cant beat this or that". I just have had a couple times when things got CRAZY! He's just kinda annoying how he got straight to personal attacks and disrespect over something this pointless. And be so wrong about so much and think he's right. It's always a challenge for me to ignore this kind of blatant ignorance, but i'm working on it every day! lol

And I agree..it CAN be fun but it can also get annoying at times...I wont say when for spoilers sake! I tried out pvp finally and had a great time...just wish I could run into that kid on xbox somehow :(

But hey Gomer....if you notice, other people are saying the enemies flank as well....what game are you playing?

just be aware of how many enemies appear in a mob, 5-10 doable lol, 15-20 then thats an " OH ****!!!" moment lol but its still doable...i did a mission where i had to help some mercs, i revived 1 merc and next thing ya know about 30 damn hellbugs appeared, i think i spent more time rolling around than anything lol but eventually i completed the mission, actually had sweat on my brow, and i do agree with ya on how at times mobs gets hellacrazy, but me i like it like that though lol, just keep doing what youre doing man

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Hmm, wtb true and ultimate ark hunter mode. ;)

I went back to BL2 other night and got my butt kicked cus I was still in Defiance mode where I just run into a spawn blindly and start shooting. LOL!

man i havent played that in so long id probably get ***** on there lmao, i do miss the playing bl2 though, just miss all the wise cracks from the psychos and migdets lol

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:35 AM
It gets better later and after you've leveled up your weapon skills, basically more everything, crit, faster reload etc.

very true, it does and when you add mods to those things? hell yeah lol

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
well if someone is bragging about being taller than me, then itll make nut shots on em a lot easier lol, j/k

I'm taller than you, and wearing a cup. >=)

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Nah you're right it wouldn't make that much of a difference. I doubt xbox ever runs at like 3 fps or something drastic enough to effect the game that much.

Man it looks fugly though. PvE plays great on a PC with a controller if anyone cares. Once I hooked my computer up to my TV a couple years ago I find myself using my controller a lot more.

same here, was starting to get afraid i might get carpal tunnel or something so i switched to a controller, its just easier on the fingers imo, but im more a controller type as oppose to a keyboard and mouse...i played final fantasy with keyboard and mouse and thats made perfect for that type of game, but for a shooter, def a controller type game lol

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm taller than you, and wearing a cup. >=)

lmao, hey being short has its advantages now lmao:)

do you know where i can get that outfit that guy has on thats standing next to the chick on the defiance screen?...hes got a hood and black shades...i saw a player in-game with that outfit and when i 1st saw the beta i wanted that outfit right from the get go cuz it just looks hard lol

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 09:46 AM
lmao, hey being short has its advantages now lmao:)

Haha, I was obviously joking since I have no clue how tall you actually are.

I'm curious, which advantages?

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
just be aware of how many enemies appear in a mob, 5-10 doable lol, 15-20 then thats an " OH ****!!!" moment lol but its still doable...i did a mission where i had to help some mercs, i revived 1 merc and next thing ya know about 30 damn hellbugs appeared, i think i spent more time rolling around than anything lol but eventually i completed the mission, actually had sweat on my brow, and i do agree with ya on how at times mobs gets hellacrazy, but me i like it like that though lol, just keep doing what youre doing man

Hey bro, I appreciate that! But thats why the internet bugs me...let me explain. People have the wrong impression of me right now. I LOVE the game, the challenge is pretty much right up my alley! I just played a side mission right now...called eviction notice pt 1. It was a small raider camp with a mobile raider spawn truck a little bit outside of it, with about 5 guys, rockets, raiders. I killed the guys outside and had taken up a great position covering the camp and picking guys off from cover. Suddenly the guys behind respawned and ambushed me from behind, so I had to displace, running and rolling, steadily shooting guys. Then the guys from the camp rushed me because I was no longer pinning them...so it got crazy, but VERY VERY VERY fun and enjoyable! All in all, I respawned myself once, and died once, beat the mission...and had a blast. I fought about 45-55 guys total, in waves and it was not easy but very fun.

Now...if they had just spawned 40 to 50 guys at once, and instead of 5 behind me, it could have been 20...THAT would not have been as much fun...and that is whats happening on occasion to SOME people, and its more annoying than fun being honest.

But Old97, I agree with your whole post. Thats why that kid annoyed me more than normal, they didn't contribute, just threw out, "oh its easy" type of comments. And as I fought these raiders, I couldn't help but think he hasn't played the game but only seen a video maybe. There is a TON of variety in a.i. I happen to think it's pretty solid for an mmo game. The rocket guys and snipers shoot from distance and don't move, the shield guys slowly walk towards you with a raised shield, the raiders rush, but also go from side to side and seek cover, and dodge grenades. And this is just RAIDERS! That "all they do is rush you straight on" comment was so dumb, it turned me into a fanboy for a moment and I felt offended...lmao

But all in all, I gotta admit, I ****** LOVE this game...just riding around the tops of mountains on my atv is fun as hell! I apologize to all the decent people in here for derailing the thread trying to call out Gohmer or whatever his name is. He's clueless.

Aimeri
04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I think the problem is miscommunication of terms, to be honest with you BKB Black Steel. You two were arguing over the mobs flanking. I have not seen a single mob flank so far in the game, and I have completed every mission available.
If you want proof that I have completed every mission, see this other thread on the Defiance forums: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?34985-To-those-who-beat-the-game&p=314644&viewfull=1#post314644

Flanking: excuse my poor Paint skills

http://i.imgur.com/tLopgPQ.png

I have seen them come at me from an angle, as shown in this diagram as "Not Flanking", but I have never seen them come straight at me from another position, to my side, to flank me.

Anyways, I didn't post this to argue with you, because I do indeed the AI in this game is at least average. Definitely not ****. I am just hoping to end the argument of Flanking :)

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey bro, I appreciate that! But thats why the internet bugs me...let me explain. People have the wrong impression of me right now. I LOVE the game, the challenge is pretty much right up my alley! I just played a side mission right now...called eviction notice pt 1. It was a small raider camp with a mobile raider spawn truck a little bit outside of it, with about 5 guys, rockets, raiders. I killed the guys outside and had taken up a great position covering the camp and picking guys off from cover. Suddenly the guys behind respawned and ambushed me from behind, so I had to displace, running and rolling, steadily shooting guys. Then the guys from the camp rushed me because I was no longer pinning them...so it got crazy, but VERY VERY VERY fun and enjoyable! All in all, I respawned myself once, and died once, beat the mission...and had a blast. I fought about 45-55 guys total, in waves and it was not easy but very fun.

Now...if they had just spawned 40 to 50 guys at once, and instead of 5 behind me, it could have been 20...THAT would not have been as much fun...and that is whats happening on occasion to SOME people, and its more annoying than fun being honest.

But Old97, I agree with your whole post. Thats why that kid annoyed me more than normal, they didn't contribute, just threw out, "oh its easy" type of comments. And as I fought these raiders, I couldn't help but think he hasn't played the game but only seen a video maybe. There is a TON of variety in a.i. I happen to think it's pretty solid for an mmo game. The rocket guys and snipers shoot from distance and don't move, the shield guys slowly walk towards you with a raised shield, the raiders rush, but also go from side to side and seek cover, and dodge grenades. And this is just RAIDERS! That "all they do is rush you straight on" comment was so dumb, it turned me into a fanboy for a moment and I felt offended...lmao

But all in all, I gotta admit, I ****** LOVE this game...just riding around the tops of mountains on my atv is fun as hell! I apologize to all the decent people in here for derailing the thread trying to call out Gohmer or whatever his name is. He's clueless.

ive had the same with guys respawning behind me, its gets annoying but then again i look at it as more combat experience cuz when i did that mission i told you about with the mercs and 30 hellbugs, all that experience had helped me deal with that...now with the shield raiders i can agree, those guys are annoying as hell lol, thats why i miss my plasma pulser, cuz then that shield dont mean squat, so i just a grenade or something explosive lol...now i can say this, this game isnt easy by far and i didnt want you to think i was saying it was ( im only at an ego of 536 right now ) i havent beat this episode cuz you cant really beat this game, all the content and stuff hasnt been released, but im taking my time and the enemies seem ( at least to me ) to be getting smarter and more challenging as i progress...im still at the " explosive interruption " main quest, this games a blast, wish you were on ps3 cuz id add ya lol...oh and dont forget the 99er guys, if they mob ya it can turn ugly for a bit lol

chrismeyer34
04-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Haha, I was obviously joking since I have no clue how tall you actually are.

I'm curious, which advantages?

ha ha, youre very funny lmao

NalkorRN
04-14-2013, 10:35 AM
One thing to keep in mind for those who don't read every post in a thread, the SMG wielding Raider Blizters use an accurate SMG that has no real bloom or recoil, they do exist and yes they can reliably hit from distances. It's the Dark Matter Enforcers who can reliably hit you from beyond AR range with an SMG that makes you want to kick a puppy.

Out51d3r
04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
One thing to keep in mind for those who don't read every post in a thread, the SMG wielding Raider Blizters use an accurate SMG that has no real bloom or recoil, they do exist and yes they can reliably hit from distances. It's the Dark Matter Enforcers who can reliably hit you from beyond AR range with an SMG that makes you want to kick a puppy.

It took me a while, but I realised that the Blitzers were the highest priority target. Forget the rocket launchers, shield guys, and their elite variants, and even the tankers. Kill the smg guys first, because the moment you stick your head out, they'll take your shields down. Fortunately learning that lesson on the raiders made Dark Matter Enforcers a bit easier to deal with.

Tgreen
04-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Raiders even miss you sometimes when your a couple feet away as long as you don't stand perfectly still!

And both, Dark Matter and Raiders don't really use SMG type weapons, think of it as burst type assault riffles that reload after every burst. Giving them real rapid fire short ranged SMGs with that kind of accuracy would be devestating. O___o

BKB Black Steel
04-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I still kinda hate the dark matter snipers too...they can hit a rolling, sprinting, or any other kind of target, and with a lot of other enemies fighting you, that cloak even catches me by surprise a lot!

I wish I was on ps3 too, I would love to battle that one guy or team up with you chris..lol

loops73
04-14-2013, 11:46 AM
lotsa mobs troubling you? auto lobbers are your best friend

Cirvante
04-14-2013, 12:54 PM
I like how this game is pretty much skill-based as opposed to other games, which are more effort-based (grind levels, gear, etc). I only play solo except for co-op maps and I have had a few situations where the number of enemies was unreal. I always get ganked a couple of times during the freedom plaza quest where you have about 20 enemies at once and about 4-5 of them are blur-using melee/shotun units.

I guess I'm just not patient enough to pick them off one by one. The last game I played was ME3 multiplayer and there it was pretty much "DPS or G.T.F.O." (Edit: seriously? a word-filter for g.t.f.o.? do they have one for shtako as well? lol). On my current char I run with a SAW for damage and a BMG for healing in addition to a purple respark. Maybe I should switch to flash grenades and use my decoy once in a while though.

As many people pointed out already, dodge is your friend, as well as taking cover. Double-sideroll gets rid of stun/burning/snare/acid and when you're moving (and reloading) you should always sprint and bunny-hopping doesn't break the reloading-animation either. When you get swarmed/surrounded, kite them a bit and pick them off one by one. It's pretty much like ME3 solo play, with the exception that right-hand advantage doesn't work since corners and edges often stop bullets that should realistically fly by them. Or perhaps I'm just spoiled.

I have also found out that running in circles works wonders against hellbugs. They just can't do anything against you that way. I usually go clock-wise, how about you guys?

airwalker619
05-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I found this game to be way to easy the game comes with an auto aim feature tap the aim button and it homes in on enemies very simple

crasher
05-02-2013, 01:05 AM
The weird thing about warriors:
They burrow under you, surface and toss you 20 feet. Then they stand there till you get up before they resume the attack.

Don't ignore that little bonus moment.

As far as 'dodge is your friend', I agree, but I sure wish my feet weren't in two buckets of cement while I was trying to scamper sideways or run backwards.

It's like that nightmare you had as a kid, you're running as fast as you can, and the evilbadguy/zombie/whatever is dragging one leg, but he's always 6 inches behind you...

:)

AssKicka
05-02-2013, 01:17 AM
The vast majority of player base is asking for the difficulty to be bumped up quite substantially. I do not play on console so I am not sure how difficult it is using a controller. If consoles players are finding it challenging and PC players blasting through everything then I guess there will have to be implementation of varied difficulty levels based on platform.

crasher
05-02-2013, 01:21 AM
The vast majority of player base is asking for the difficulty to be bumped up quite substantially. I do not play on console so I am not sure how difficult it is using a controller. If consoles players are finding it challenging and PC players blasting through everything then I guess there will have to be implementation of varied difficulty levels based on platform.

I've seen console graphics.
They get that picture and whacky controls too?

Nupe, not even gonna think about it.

Archaic954
05-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Of course it has to compete with those shooters and not with MMORPGs, because it is in no way an RPG.
And you are the one that obviously has no clue about the genre.
The normal way to do encounters is to have them spawned already and then pull and progress group by group.
Which can be a tactical game on its own, to determine which and how many enemies will come and how to deal with them.
In this game you have no idea what the clown cars will spit out.

Technically speaking.. This IS an MMORPG and a shooter. rolled into one. We, the older and wiser MMO'ers and TRUE shooters, know that which we speak of. Secondly, you comment about "The normal way to do encounters is to have them spawned already and then pull and progress group by group.", would require an entire overhaul to the majority of the core coding. Which would take.... A year or so, if you had a dedicated team working around the clock.

For someone who is quick to insult, you sure don't do your homework.

On a Post Script note, 1. Do your homework. 2. Don't like the game? Bugger off and cease to bother us, the players who DO enjoy the game, with your incessant complaining about how YOU think it should have been. The Dev's OBVIOUSLY decided what THEY thought was best, not you, a random citizen. 3. Go back to school and learn about a ROLE PLAYING GAME. If you are Taking a character, and molding him/her into your image in your minds-eye, wandering around a VAST world, full of baddies, side-quests and general goodness, then you are playing an RPG. (FALLOUT Series anyone?) Not to come of as a complete and utter ***, but you really needed to be set strait.

Just sayin.

Archaic954
05-02-2013, 02:35 AM
I think the problem is miscommunication of terms, to be honest with you BKB Black Steel. You two were arguing over the mobs flanking. I have not seen a single mob flank so far in the game, and I have completed every mission available.
If you want proof that I have completed every mission, see this other thread on the Defiance forums: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?34985-To-those-who-beat-the-game&p=314644&viewfull=1#post314644

Flanking: excuse my poor Paint skills

http://i.imgur.com/tLopgPQ.png

I have seen them come at me from an angle, as shown in this diagram as "Not Flanking", but I have never seen them come straight at me from another position, to my side, to flank me.

Anyways, I didn't post this to argue with you, because I do indeed the AI in this game is at least average. Definitely not ****. I am just hoping to end the argument of Flanking :)

Technically speaking, from a "Military Perspective" its called a "Flanking Maneuver". Anything that attempts to take you unawares from the side or behind you is a flanking maneuver. Not trying to debate it again, but that's military tactics 101.

Just saying.

Bushmaster2000
05-02-2013, 02:42 AM
Ya i agree, it does get a little out of hand on some of the missions there are a few too many guys to take on all at once. Gotta rely on your EGO powers to try and even the odds. Retreating or finding a quiet corner to shield recharge in is also difficult because they aggressively seek out a flanking position and chance you for way longer than they should so retreating and coming back also isn't a great option. The best option a lot of times if you're getting overwhelmed is to spawn your vehicle and run guys over for a bit.

Schwa
05-02-2013, 03:11 AM
This is one of the reason Dark Matter can be overwhelming when you first encounter them. You'll adjust-- just don't convince yourself they're harder than they really are.

Incidentally, I ended up experiencing a light shock each time I met a new "tier" of enemy: raider from mutant, 99er from raider, Dark matter/Scrapper from 99er. It's a natural progression, and something you'll get comfortable with soon.

chrismeyer34
05-02-2013, 03:34 AM
you know I have to disagree because solo the dudes dont get buffed as they would with 2 or 3 or 4 etc... most of the time when i die repeatedly its because the person thats trying to do the quest with me sucks terribly and I wind up taking on all the buffed mobs.

agreed, did a co op with someone and they used a sniper, sat back while i took the brunt of the onslaught lmao, but then again, my guy's built like a tank and i think the other player say that, what sucked for him though was i got most of the exp and all...he would snipe and bring the mob to where we were, did the same thing in group while we ran around on the world map...i love the hell outta mobs, my combat shotty shoots like a fast grenade launcher so i can pretty much clear a mob out fast, got a nice lmg with the fire element, just wish those darn cluster grenades werent glitched :(

Blackwolfe
05-02-2013, 03:37 AM
The only times I use a sniper in co-ops is to take down enemy snipers or taking out mutant grenadiers/minigunners from a safe distance (crouched, with overcharge on, they go down crazy fast). Also nice for Tankers.

chrismeyer34
05-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Technically speaking.. This IS an MMORPG and a shooter. rolled into one. We, the older and wiser MMO'ers and TRUE shooters, know that which we speak of. Secondly, you comment about "The normal way to do encounters is to have them spawned already and then pull and progress group by group.", would require an entire overhaul to the majority of the core coding. Which would take.... A year or so, if you had a dedicated team working around the clock.

For someone who is quick to insult, you sure don't do your homework.

On a Post Script note, 1. Do your homework. 2. Don't like the game? Bugger off and cease to bother us, the players who DO enjoy the game, with your incessant complaining about how YOU think it should have been. The Dev's OBVIOUSLY decided what THEY thought was best, not you, a random citizen. 3. Go back to school and learn about a ROLE PLAYING GAME. If you are Taking a character, and molding him/her into your image in your minds-eye, wandering around a VAST world, full of baddies, side-quests and general goodness, then you are playing an RPG. (FALLOUT Series anyone?) Not to come of as a complete and utter ***, but you really needed to be set strait.

Just sayin.

love the fallout series, havent played the 1st 2, but got the fallout 3 goty and new vegas, both are just too awesome lol

Schwa
05-02-2013, 03:41 AM

Just no. Poster's not name worth attributing. Rejected. Denied.

The clowncars are a reasonable compromise on the MMO side to permit reasonable challenge while providing at least a handwave to explain how those enemies got there.

No pulling with enemies that simply fade in out of nowhere. Never.

Darukai
05-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Enemies that use Flanking Maneuvers (make an effort to get to you when you are sitting behind cover):

Mutant Cleavers
Mutant Shotgunners
Mutant Grenadiers
Most Hellbugs, but the worst is the Blastpod
Raider Rioter
Tankers
Smelters
Gold Rushers (When thier shields are broken)
Blacklungs
Most Scrappers, aside from the Helibots
Bulwarks

Now the tactics for pretty much every situation:

1) If it has a gun, dive roll between cover and take out anything that will try to get at you while you are resting behind cover first. In my case I always leave the biggest target (Grenadiers, Tankers, Blacklungs, Bulwarks) for last, as the big targets have the ability to knock you on your @$$ or cause you to flinch which makes you vulnerable to everything else around. Use cover to recharge your shields and reload.

2) If it doesn't have a gun, you better run... you better run your *** off... :P Don't sit still, just kill everything while side/back stepping and sprint while reloading. Don't forget your dive roll works very well between taking shots to keep you very mobile, this is what I personally prefer to do, I use burst fire or high single shot damage weapons.

Redman20
05-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Enemies that use Flanking Maneuvers (make an effort to get to you when you are sitting behind cover):
Most Hellbugs, but the worst is the Blastpod

Wait....wut...Blastpods will flank me?

By the way, flushing you out of cover != flanking you.

Thats the AI using its path finding to get a viable LoS on your toon. They cant get sight on you, so their AI tells them to move until they can.

Flanking would be they move, but instead of firing on you when they have a target, the AI tells them to keep moving until you dont have sight on them.

Tgreen
05-02-2013, 06:14 AM
No, Blitzers and Enforcers have real flanking maneuvers.
They run around hard cover to either side of you despite the fact that you were visible in the first place sometime.

And please, people ... you are one player versus many mobs, if they were having mad elite moves up their sleeves the whining would never stop. Once Trion manages to get in hard mode coops there is a place for more intelligent AI.

Fiancee
05-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Defiance isnt surely for slackers.. but definitely doable and very interesting thats why. They walk very very thin line and they succeed, thats just me being honest. Mighty balls of Trion.

Blondin
05-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok some missions are harders than others, some with many mobs, but with some time it's easy to kill them all, run, dodge, hide and kill them one by one.

But hellbug are my favorite, so easy to kill, only archers and blastpods have ranged attack, for the others you only have to avoid them, they will never do any damage to you.

I say that and I'm not a TPS master, but I can't understand that people think that this is a bug that is not intended... damm those new generation see bugs everywhere, once they have a difficulty in a game, for them the problem is the game, not them...

chrismeyer34
05-02-2013, 06:23 AM

agreed, i love the fact you can get mobbed like crazy on here, teaches you the run, shoot, cover and shoot again, then rinse and repeat lol and getting mobbed like crazy can also help you with setting up your gear and perks to find which 1s work best for you and your play style...my guys built like a tank so, im a mob freak...ive actually had a couple players watch me as i took about 20+ hellbugs ( not including the 2 monarchs 1 of which was an elctric and the other was a normal 1 ) at the same time, then had a darn hellbug emergency pop up again and took those on alone, and they were like " damn dude, you took all those on and walked out!?, i was like " yep, but i gotta cramp in my leg, so if you see more, can you take care of em for me ? " lmfao...love huge mobs