PDA

View Full Version : Dear Devs...

orcface
01-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Dear Devs...
Please take a moment to consider carefully the decisions you make about the co-op exploits being brought into the open. In previous issues you have made it clear that you endorse the use of some creative work-arounds discovered by the players. Other issues you have declared as low priority, somewhere behind dusting the top of the bookshelf. You have never made a public statement against hacks(aimbotters I'm looking at you) or expoits that indicates a penalty for gameplay issues. Close the loopholes or redesign the co-op map system (which I have a great idea for) and move on. Punishment for an action that was not prohibited previously is expressly forbidden by the US Constitution. No ex post facto, please.

I do not condone exploiting the maps, but complex coding often creates unforseen loopholes that can be used. Shut the back door. Offer rewards for finding and reporting these exploits. There are options for dealing with unforseen happenings that won't alienate your clients. Thanks for taking a moment to read this.

nathanpbutler
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Dear Devs...
Please take a moment to consider carefully the decisions you make about the co-op exploits being brought into the open. In previous issues you have made it clear that you endorse the use of some creative work-arounds discovered by the players. Other issues you have declared as low priority, somewhere behind dusting the top of the bookshelf. You have never made a public statement against hacks(aimbotters I'm looking at you) or expoits that indicates a penalty for gameplay issues. Close the loopholes or redesign the co-op map system (which I have a great idea for) and move on. Punishment for an action that was not prohibited previously is expressly forbidden by the US Constitution. No ex post facto, please.

I do not condone exploiting the maps, but complex coding often creates unforseen loopholes that can be used. Shut the back door. Offer rewards for finding and reporting these exploits. There are options for dealing with unforseen happenings that won't alienate your clients. Thanks for taking a moment to read this.

While the idea of not punishing for something not explicitly prohibited is certainly rational, you lost this history/government/etc. teacher at the use of the Constitution in this situation. The prohibition against ex post facto laws is for just that, *laws.* It has nothing at all to do with the actions of private entities like Trion, even if there's nothing in the Terms of Service that speak against exploits and such.

This is the equivalent of "so and so got fired by a TV station because of something they said, but that's a violation of freedom of speech!" No, it isn't. Freedom of speech is about protection from government interference with free expression and has nothing to do with private entities as such.

Dixie Cougar
01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
This is the equivalent of "so and so got fired by a TV station because of something they said, but that's a violation of freedom of speech!" No, it isn't. Freedom of speech is about protection from government interference with free expression and has nothing to do with private entities as such.

People always forget the "Congress shall make no law" part of the 1st Amendment. I can boot people from my clan all day long for saying I am a poopy head and nobody can stop me!

That being said I think what he is saying is that the principle behind the constitutional prohibition on ex post facto punishments is one that should be followed in the interest of fairness. Might be something to that.

Major Crapshot
01-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Dear Devs...

Incorrect on this point. It would be correct if Trion were a governmental agency (local, state, federal) but they are a private company. Those rules do not apply per se.

Can Trion ban or otherwise punish suspected cheaters/exploiters/etc. at their discretion? Yes
Can Trion censor what would be considered free speech? Absolutely.
Can Trion ignore the concept of "ex posr facto"? You betcha because they are a private company and not the government.

Alll because Trion is a private company. It's basic Social Studies/Government 101.

Major Crapshot
01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Double post. Damn phone. :mad:

orcface
01-20-2015, 06:04 PM
The code of conduct and terms of service are the "laws" of this arena. If you allow creation of a new "law" that punishes infractions before its existence, how far back do you prosecute? It would have to be all the way back to day one to avoid being completely arbitrary and high-handed. I know that the Constitiution does not actually apply here, but the concepts it embodies still are used as guides for conduct. Hopefully. I don't really want to get a bill from WalMart because something I bought yesterday went up in price. ;)

As for the unfortunate TV employee, I see this more of "we are impounding your car for going too fast on this road devoid of speed limit signs."

Tyrannos
01-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to PM a member of the Community Team.

Thank you!