PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on weapon skill leveling

r1p
01-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm sure that this has been discussed a million times already but I gave up trying to find the magic combination of words in search to get the relevant results.

Even though I am at 5k ego (recently) there are a few weapons skills that I haven't maxed yet and I was hoping that some of the vets here would have some tips on how to complete them in a timely fashion. Needless to say they are weapons that I rarely use so it's been a grind getting them this far. I guess I'm looking for tips on the best weapons to use for each that are easy to obtain from vendors or lockboxes, the best perks to use with them, and the best events/locations to level them up at. I don't plan on using these weapons ever again so I'm basically looking for the most effective weapons that are easy to obtain and when I'm done I can vendor without a thought.

The skills, current levels, and the weapons I currently have are:

BMG (Lvl 16)

Inventory:

FRC Tele-Spanner - currently using because it has 1% dmg charge so it never needs reloaded. It seems to take forever to level up the BMG even with this.

Semi-Auto Sniper (Lvl 14)

Inventory:

Thawandeye Surge Bolter Mk V - from the Thorn Liro vendor. Bought to help fulfill pursuit with "buy x items from vendor".

Bolt-Action Sniper (Lvl 13)

Inventory:

Radiant Solstice Meteor Bolter - double crit + crit barrel (if that even matters?), T3/T4 modded, ton of recoil.

VOT Bolter - recently got out of a lockbox, not sure of the stats.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. :)

Eleni
01-21-2015, 09:33 AM
To lvl up skills, The best is the Hulker in St Quentin.

Go there, do the mission normally til you reach the hulker.

Damage him with your desired weapon until his health is low and he turns berserk (EGO says "hes not gonna stop")
Here you let him kill you, you extract and hes full HP again.

If you do so, Your FRC BMG is good.

Semi snipe id go for SS2 or FRC repeater.

Bolters well, yours sound good but id prefer the regular VOT bolter version due to its little hip aim + its higher firerate.

To help, use overcharge plus damage perks, Damage spikes when his brain shows. youll do huge damage numbers, which will super fast grind your skills.

konstantinov
01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm sure that this has been discussed a million times already but I gave up trying to find the magic combination of words in search to get the relevant results.

Even though I am at 5k ego (recently) there are a few weapons skills that I haven't maxed yet and I was hoping that some of the vets here would have some tips on how to complete them in a timely fashion. Needless to say they are weapons that I rarely use so it's been a grind getting them this far. I guess I'm looking for tips on the best weapons to use for each that are easy to obtain from vendors or lockboxes, the best perks to use with them, and the best events/locations to level them up at. I don't plan on using these weapons ever again so I'm basically looking for the most effective weapons that are easy to obtain and when I'm done I can vendor without a thought.

The skills, current levels, and the weapons I currently have are:

BMG (Lvl 16)

Inventory:

FRC Tele-Spanner - currently using because it has 1% dmg charge so it never needs reloaded. It seems to take forever to level up the BMG even with this.

Semi-Auto Sniper (Lvl 14)

Inventory:

Thawandeye Surge Bolter Mk V - from the Thorn Liro vendor. Bought to help fulfill pursuit with "buy x items from vendor".

Bolt-Action Sniper (Lvl 13)

Inventory:

Radiant Solstice Meteor Bolter - double crit + crit barrel (if that even matters?), T3/T4 modded, ton of recoil.

VOT Bolter - recently got out of a lockbox, not sure of the stats.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. :)

BMG- Stingray (max links is huge)at infected incursions are amazing

Semi Auto- ranger/quick repeater (high crit) at monoliths

Bolt Action- high crit at monoliths

Major Crapshot
01-21-2015, 09:43 AM
I am no Vet so take this as you will but two words: Afflicted Incursions.

I have been using those to level up my BMG, infector, and bolt-action sniper skills. I am now at 18 on both BMGs and infectors and 17 on the BA. Stand on the roof of the small barn or go up on the second floor of the big barn during the ending siege and fire away.

As for the BMG: Perhaps use a Stingray instead? More links = more targets = more xp. I know why you are using the Tele-Spanner but maybe try a Stingray to see if it makes a difference.

Hope my two scrip's worth of advice helps. :)

EDIT: Ninjaed by Kon. :)

r1p
01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the advice so far!

I've used the Kenn Farms Seige to level some of my other weapons that I never use like Rocket Launcher & Sawed-Off. The rocket launcher leveling went surprisingly fast, but the sawed-off was tedious to say the least. I read somewhere that the most effective way was to dual-wield couriers with preparedness perk but it still felt like a job. I vendored a Stingray recently so I might still be able to buy it back and if not blue ones pop up as vendor specials all the time so no big deal. Also, for some reason the RNG believes I need a lot of sniper rifles so they pop up in more than half of the lock boxes I get, usually more than one per box. A couple of weeks ago I had a run of 3 lockboxes where I got 3 rifles per box. Maybe it's trying to tell me to finish leveling up those weapon skills? ;)

stefb42
01-21-2015, 10:47 AM
When doing bmgs at infected sieges(preferably kenn farm) be sure to use overcharge with as many offensive perks as you can, damage spikes and the stim that reduces ego power cool down by 90? seconds(cant remember its name but it helps)

Also try and find someone else trying to level bmgs, then you can hang out together and alternate your dmg spikes, every little helps

Leprochaun
01-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Does increased damage actually matter for leveling? You get experience from just hitting the mobs. Unless you get extra experience from killing something with the weapon type it'd probably be better to use a low damage high firerate weapon for leveling.

stefb42
01-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Was always lead to believe progress was dmg dealt based, not just hitting mobs though hitting mobs would still give experience as you need to damage them to hit them. Hence the reasons ppl use the green ego boost spikes at monoliths to boost weapon skills

Tura Satana
01-21-2015, 01:20 PM
I am nearly done with this exact venture. Leveling weapon types I don't normally use has been the only thing I've found really grinding in this game, besides Snipe from the Shadows III pursuit.

I should of done more at Kenn Farm. I leveled up some things there. You can just pump rounds into the hulkers and you'll gain at a decent rate. But I did a lot in the casti arena. I happened to get a purple stingray and it shredded. Leveled 10 levels faster than 5 levels of anything else. For sawed off I used the courier on the hellbugs in the first liro rounds 3 and 5. It leveled pretty fast too. The semi auto sniper was tedious as I don't really use them. I used the surge bolter but I maybe should of used a quick repeater. I feel like I spent too much time in the arena with this one and ended up just unloading on hulkers for the last level.

For bolt action, I leveled these up a long time ago doing snipe from the shadows pursuit. 5000 bolt action kills. Cuz I wanted that heavy green coat - city tracker outfit. Most of them I did the hard way. But after about 4000 I realized that the volge lightning rifle is a bolt action. And I went into the arena in the first liro and when the skitterlings came, I just started hip firing and crushing groups of them at once and it took way less time. Of course you need arkbreaker dlc to use this weapon.

Good luck. : )

r1p
01-21-2015, 01:51 PM
For bolt action, I leveled these up a long time ago doing snipe from the shadows pursuit. 5000 bolt action kills. Cuz I wanted that heavy green coat - city tracker outfit. Most of them I did the hard way. But after about 4000 I realized that the volge lightning rifle is a bolt action. And I went into the arena in the first liro and when the skitterlings came, I just started hip firing and crushing groups of them at once and it took way less time. Of course you need arkbreaker dlc to use this weapon.

Good luck. : )

I have the DLC so I might try this for the bolt-action. I just posted how tedious the "Snipe from the Shadows III" was and how I would never complete it, but if this works I can kill 2 birds with one "lightning rifle".

Altras
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Some good answers in here.

Stingray@Infected events. +1
High crit bolt/Semi Sniper@Monolith. +1

And when you go for your 5k kills with different weapons. I find explosive versions are the best. Say a volge lightning rifle and hellbugs. Since it has radius, it can kill multiple skitterlings, which apply towards the pursuit. Same goes for Volge Thunder Pistols.

You can also do multiple pursuits at the same time. Like 500 Decoy kills, goes great with the 5k kill pursuits.

r1p
01-21-2015, 02:22 PM
You know, I never even considered the pistol skill leveling and the Gunslinger 5000 pistol kill pursuit to be a grind because of the OJ HellFire pistol I was got at one of the Halloween arkfalls I completed. Since I'd only been playing for a month or so I didn't even realize how useful (and fun) it was. It has the same rolls as the Demon Hunter except for blue which instead of x1.05 dmg is a +20 mag. After a while I realized that it was a rapid fire pistol with an 80 bullet mag and that it gave me the flexibility to carry 2 high DPS weapons with separate ammo pools. It is now a regular part of my loadout but it does make me stop and think how lucky I am I didn't have to grind out those 2 pursuits with a regular pistol.

Maack
01-21-2015, 02:55 PM
TL;DR
Do large amounts of damage to skill up weapon skills quickly.

Hulker in San Quentin (there is a way to reset it -> google/youtube)
or
Infected Sieges (Threat level 10 will make damage numbers go up as well increasing your damage also unless you are already at ego 4750+)

Tip:
Fire Nano increases damage done to health by 50% (Hulker/infected has/have no shields...)

SourceOfInfinity
01-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Silicon Valley conflicts/incursions

- many many enemies @ lower threat level so they die fast
- Great for BMGs, explosives and rapid fire weapons (SMG/LMG/AR)
- Grid: no shields & low armor plates = high fire nano damage. Beware of the knockback of the Revenants. A few of them can keep you stunned over and over until you die. Blur can counter this (makes you immune to knockback), and you can throw grenades while being knocked back.
- Hellbugs: EVIL EVIL EVIL! beware. they can be nasty in large groups because of the bio effects and knockbacks. Use Radiation to penetrate their armor plates and get them dead quickly. since they are usually bio, it makes no sense to use bio against them as they have bio resistance.
- 99ers: Pretty much any nano is good in one way or another. Rad, bio and syphon are probably the best though. (fire is still good because their HP is low after shields are down)

story/conflict site @ Alamo Park (north-west of Overpass)

Start up the mission, activate the friendly bulwarks, then let the enemies destroy the computers/uplinks
- infinite enemies
- easy headshots (while they attack the immortal bulwarks) Best solo place for leveling sniper rifles IMO
- dark matter: just like 99ers, pretty much any nano is good in some way but if you want to maximize your damage, use electric vs shields then switch to fire vs HP. Rad or bio would be a good 1-weapon choice though.

Fallen_Aingeal
01-22-2015, 12:06 AM
Another really good spot for sniper kills is the gunslinger arena with the matron. Use the Volge lightening rifle. Hellbugs will continuously spawn as long as you don't kill the matron.

Hulker and Monolith for everything else.

Xaat Xuun
01-22-2015, 02:03 AM
well next month you can level up in the "Colony Courtship” arkfalls.
There will be lot's and Lots of Monarchs to level your weapons up on

Tura Satana
01-22-2015, 11:13 AM
You know, I never even considered the pistol skill leveling and the Gunslinger 5000 pistol kill pursuit to be a grind because of the OJ HellFire pistol I was got at one of the Halloween arkfalls I completed. Since I'd only been playing for a month or so I didn't even realize how useful (and fun) it was. It has the same rolls as the Demon Hunter except for blue which instead of x1.05 dmg is a +20 mag. After a while I realized that it was a rapid fire pistol with an 80 bullet mag and that it gave me the flexibility to carry 2 high DPS weapons with separate ammo pools. It is now a regular part of my loadout but it does make me stop and think how lucky I am I didn't have to grind out those 2 pursuits with a regular pistol.

I use a pistol so much. It could of been 10,000 pistol kills and I wouldn't of minded.

Tex_Arcana
01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Bolt action kills are also easy in the land-based dailies if you are solo(be ready to put it away if a high ego ups the TL though).
I got 300 kills to finish bolt actions in two days this way).

Fallen_Aingeal
01-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Bolt action kills are also easy in the land-based dailies if you are solo(be ready to put it away if a high ego ups the TL though).
I got 300 kills to finish bolt actions in two days this way).I received the same amount of kills in the yuke liro arena in less than 10 minutes.

With a little time, the gunslinger matron arena serves even better.

Major Crapshot
01-22-2015, 07:27 PM
I got 300 kills to finish bolt actions in two days this way).

This is another good idea that I forgot to mention. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Whenever there is a VBI contract at, ironically, Sniper Ridge, I like to use a BA (Calling Bird, yea!) and my Courier. Once finished, I do a mini Death March from there to the first big bridge you cross.

Alternatively, whenever there is the VBI weekly "Radio Restart", I'll walk between each of the Mt. Tam sites sniping anything in my path.

Grindy? Maybe to some but I like these little marches. :)

r1p
01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
I received the same amount of kills in the yuke liro arena in less than 10 minutes.

With a little time, the gunslinger matron arena serves even better.

Just a quick update: the lightning rifle is definitely the way to go and the "Matron's Nest" arena from the Gunslingers DLC is definitely the place to use it. I just stayed at the far end of the arena from the matron so I wouldn't accidentally hit her and hip fired at the hellbugs until I got bored. I racked up around 350 kills in about 15 minutes or so which coincided with achieving a silver medal in the arena. When I left the arena a siege popped up at Kenn Farms so I raced over and racked up another 75 kills, which combined with the arena kills got me to level 20!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It looks like I'm going try to complete the Shadows pursuit now that I know it's not going to be a death march. Whenever I get bored I'm just going to spend 15 minutes in the Matron arena. It may be tedious but it's manageable. I also pulled a Ranger from a box yesterday, so I guess I'll be going Monolith hunting soon ;)

BTW, in case anyone is interested I equipped the following perks:

Scavenger - extra ammo drops so I didn't have to keep running to the ammo box
Deadly Cascade - bonus damage for every additional enemy caught in an explosion
Shock Trooper - chance to instantly reload your weapon on an explosive kill
Detachment - extra ablative armor cuts down on damage from hellbugs when they jump on you (all the time)

The lightning rifle does have a blast radius but I don't know if Deadly Cascade or Shock Trooper actually helps or not. I'll follow up when/if I figure it out.

Tex_Arcana
01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Still not a fan of equipping drop-based perks. As I have never had a problem having ammo drop enough.
But more power to ya!