PDA

View Full Version : Pursuits & Tedium

r1p
01-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Recently, as I began to get closer to the 5k EGO mark, I began reviewing the pursuits that I needed to complete so that I could actually reach it. Obviously the pursuits that I have left are either:

Long term milestones such as killing some high number of difficult enemies.
- or -
Pursuits that don't appeal to me such as weapon skill leveling on weapons that I never use such as BMG & sniper rifles.

The former isn't an issue because it will eventually take care of itself over time but the latter got me thinking about something we probably all struggle with: enjoyment vs grinding for completion.

One group of pursuits that I have not completed is any of the season 1 pursuits that involved time trials, rampages, and hot shots except Mt Tam. Each county/category represents 55 EGO points that I have not completed and so I decided to start with Madera and work my way down the list. I quickly remembered that the reason they were unfinished was because I found the time trials, rampages, and hot shots tedious. They feel like busy work, and in the case of the time trials frustrating busy work due to emergencies that spawn in the road course and the lag that sometimes prevents rings from appearing until you had already driven by them. I completed Madera but the other remain unfinished and will continue to be so unless I get really bored/desperate.

Another pursuit I will never complete is "Snipe from the Shadows III". I probably could grind out 500 cloak kills but 5000 bolt-action sniper kills? What sadist thought this was a good idea? I've resigned myself to leveling my sniper weapons skills to 20, but I can't think of any scenario where I will ever pick up a sniper rifle after that so I doubt that pursuit will ever be completed.

I do own the DLC so given the pursuits that I won't complete and the fact that I don't PvP (personal preference), that means that my EGO cap is 5651. This is assuming I eventually get the 5 points for "Volge Violence" by actually completing level 10 in a volge siege. I've only seen level 10 once and the siege ended 10 seconds later.

So by failing to complete all of the pursuits am I missing out on any benefits? Are the benefits worth the grind? Any regrets from any of you that did complete all of them? Did it almost make you give up the game? Other than storage, is the reason why long time players create and level up new characters is so that they can take a break from grinding to the max EGO cap and just have fun?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Leprochaun
01-21-2015, 02:37 PM
I finished snipe from the shadows III just recently. Boy, did that feel good. I'm the kind of person that really enjoys the pursuit chase though, so grindy pursuits are nice to have because not everyone will chase them and it feels more rewarding when you finally complete them. When I decided to do it, I resigned myself to use bolt-actions when I was doing things solo, since once the TL raises and I couldn't one-shot things anymore I didn't bother.
But if you're just looking for places to rack in kills; do the arenas, or farm at sutro tower or alamo park or one of the other places where enemies can infinitely respawn.

Soundtrack26
01-21-2015, 03:00 PM
We got Volge siege round 10 today..i was so ****ing happy i thought i NEVER get it. after i reached 5k i stoped caring about my level i just want to reach that. i liked going after pursuits tho just to beat them don't care if they make me go up but i'm not gonna go after all them like that sniper one hell nah Lol

Tyber Paradym
01-21-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't have any of the DLC's and I plan to finish every pursuit to hit 5900. I've only been playing a few months and my ego is around 5300. The rest will take a lot of effort and time. But, that's good. If I could kill this expansive game in 4 months...what fun is that? The difficulty of doing all the pursuits is what makes me play everyday. Some challenges are more of the mind than the finger. It's ok. Adapting, planning, achieving is the fun :) I got 2 turret kills in PvP this week...because I abandoned the need to kill and grabbed every turret chance I could. Running a few days with my bolter and hip-shooting everything is another tedium, but needed..because, it's part of the puzzle.
I have a lot of respect for this game. It's very well built and has potential to be even more. Don't hate the car because you don't like the taillights. ;)

Xaat Xuun
01-21-2015, 03:31 PM
what I did for the power kills, was in Arenas.
Not sure if you noticed, but the 'Power" pursuits are for kills, not kills with a certain weapon. So you can go into an arena, with a SMG and use cloak and get your 500 kills real quick (or any of the other Powers)
I've been hanging out in SV incursions for the 5k sniper kill pursuit. I just find a good line, and shoot the endless amount of mobs running to the Crystal

give PvP a try, not just one, but try one of each at least once .. I just do quick match to enter PvP . . my experience was only with Shadow wars, and I really didn't like that, but the other PvP matches, I don't mind so much.
You may had already tried the different matches, just saying their not as bad as you may think. I really dislike being killed by rocket launchers, or any explosive type weapon, I just grit and keep going. I would rather get stuck in a circle of death then get blowen away by a rocket launcher .. just saying that not every match is like that, actually maybe about a 3rd of the ones I have done have been (started PvP 5 days ago). I didn't think I would ever do PvP and thought it would take a long time because my lack of interest, but I have already been getting ego levels from PvP, and in under a week.

from my understanding, any thing after 5500 is not much of a gain if any. so if you figured you can reach just beyond that, then I don't think you would be missing any thing, You certainly don't need to be at the current EGO Cap to play the game. maybe reaching 5k is just enough. Once you reach 5k , you have access to every where (unless you don't own all DLC's).

TheStigsCousin
01-21-2015, 08:23 PM
I'm kind of feeling the same way with some of these pursuits. I had no problem with the time trials. I think it took me less than an hour to complete and get the black charger/challenger whatever :) I also play and have played racing games for many years. So I guess I had a little advantage there :p
As far as the hot shots go, I very seriously doubt I will ever do those. I tried a couple and thought they were quite stupid. Give me a useful weapon or let me use one of my weapons from my inventory. The weapons you're given for the hot shots suck!
I've never been one to care for completions/gamer score/ trophies/ achievements/ maxing out character levels, etc. I play a game to be entertained and forget about life for a while. If it becomes work by having to complete tedious, repetitive tasks, then it is no longer a game. It's work, and I don't work for free :p

Midnight
01-21-2015, 08:43 PM
For the bolt action kills I got about half my kills by hip firing a volge lightning rifle into crowds of enemies in arenas or at sieges...good times

Ryker Vorton
01-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Am I the only one who actually enjoy the 5k sniper kills?? Heck, i would trade those to the timetrials in a blink of the eye! From the 5k kills group of pursuits the one that bothers me the most is the LMG, not very fond of the AR one either but i can live with it (easily done with a typhoon rifle)

crazyged
01-22-2015, 01:28 AM
The bolt action kills don't really take that long - equip an ammo drop perk, find a place where the enemy spawns continually and you can shoot away to your heart's content.

I did a few hundred a day and it was done in no time.

r1p
01-22-2015, 08:17 AM
We got Volge siege round 10 today..i was so ****ing happy i thought i NEVER get it. after i reached 5k i stoped caring about my level i just want to reach that. i liked going after pursuits tho just to beat them don't care if they make me go up but i'm not gonna go after all them like that sniper one hell nah Lol

I was there for it as well :) It's funny because the same day I whine about it, I was able to complete it.

To be honest I didn't expect it at all. I happened to enter the game at Fork right at the time it manifested at the Bathhouse so I raced up to it and was the first or second player there. It seemed to go like every other siege but when we hit level 9 with about 6 minutes left I thought we might have a shot. It's great to finally get that pursuit completed.

r1p
01-22-2015, 08:27 AM
For the bolt action kills I got about half my kills by hip firing a volge lightning rifle into crowds of enemies in arenas or at sieges...good times

It seems that this is the best way to go. I got this advice from several others and while it will still be a grind, I might be able to grind out the Shadows pursuit. One of my clan mates was generous (thanks Lonestar) and gave me a lightning rifle late last night so when I get on later I'm going to the arenas and see what damage it can do.

Btw, I noticed that the rifle has a roll for blast radius. Does this mean that I can use the perks that benefit explosions like Deadly Cascade & Kinetic Transfer?

Rattler20200
01-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Well... I don't think I could use a lightning rifle. Only have 7th Legion DLC. So I'm gonna have to do that the old fashioned way.

r1p
01-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Well... I don't think I could use a lightning rifle. Only have 7th Legion DLC. So I'm gonna have to do that the old fashioned way.

It was for me before I found a quicker way. I'm actually going to try and complete the Shadows pursuit now. I started another thread looking for recommendations on the best way to go about completing some of these tedious tasks and I found out that the lightning rifle (Arkbreaker DLC) and the Matron's Nest arena (Gunslinger DLC) were the way to go. I racked up about 350 kills in 15 minutes hip firing the lightning rifle there.

On a side note: I know everyone may not have a lot of money to spend on this stuff, but if you are interested in the DLC you can do what I and a lot of other people have done and buy the Ultimate Edition from Amazon. You can usually find it there for less than $40 shipped and you get the DLC ($40), 1000 arkforge ($40), and 1500 bits for the store ($15). So for $40 you get $95 worth of stuff plus some weapons, a shield, a vehicle, an infiltrator outfit, and some trinkets like a messenger bag and hellbug action figure.

Christ, listen to me. I sound like I work for Trion's sales department.

r1p
01-23-2015, 02:55 PM
I was there for it as well :) It's funny because the same day I whine about it, I was able to complete it.

To be honest I didn't expect it at all. I happened to enter the game at Fork right at the time it manifested at the Bathhouse so I raced up to it and was the first or second player there. It seemed to go like every other siege but when we hit level 9 with about 6 minutes left I thought we might have a shot. It's great to finally get that pursuit completed.

I've been thinking: I wonder if this will work if I whine about not beating the WM enough and not getting enough Needlers and Springers?

Rattler20200
01-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Well... Arkbreaker is next on my list... whenever I earn some money. No job + no income = PITA when it comes to DLC.

badbat111
01-23-2015, 07:35 PM
maybe by the persuit part for bits ie im terrible at driving so no way in hell i can get the pedal to the metal persuits done if they could allow buying the tick off for bits not cheap though to get past it if you suck at some stuff

lets just put it this way me and corners dont mix i tend to face plant them XD

Brindled
01-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Btw, I noticed that the rifle has a roll for blast radius. Does this mean that I can use the perks that benefit explosions like Deadly Cascade & Kinetic Transfer?

Their round detonations indeed count as explosions, and they're kills will trigger the explosive kill perks that increase ammo.

Ryker Vorton
01-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Their round detonations indeed count as explosions, and they're kills will trigger the explosive kill perks that increase ammo.

After spennding many hours testing that, the chances of explosive perks using lighting rifles (or any other volge weapons for that matter) are just like 0.001% so it is not worth, better equip other perks with them (tip: critical based perks works the best with them)

Soundtrack26
01-24-2015, 10:45 AM

...hmmm OH that first casti arena with the hellbugs! that WILL work thanks for this..sweet time to get that pursuit!! :D