PDA

View Full Version : Whats even random about RNG..

Mister Derpenhowser
02-17-2015, 08:30 PM
All I see is a broken biased system. Its not random when the same people get oj after oj and others get nothing. And I'm not just talking about events but from lockboxes bought within the game and from the store. Its bs tbh and needs to be looked at. :mad:

Ryker Vorton
02-18-2015, 07:47 AM
the problem is when the randomization is too wide and the chances too narrow,

I've been playing real RPGs for over 20 years (on both sides of the screen) and i got quite a bit of experience on how a % chance works, and even 1% is not as bad as it would seem (using a 100 sided dice of course or even a computer generated roll) but when we have several digits it goes all to hell, think about it, a 0.05 chance of getting anything is five chances in 10000, you have better odds playing the lottery!

Still, onne thing i always seen in just about every computer game i played is that it is really common that people tend to think that missed rolls are accumulative (in other words, if you had 1 on 20 chances they think you MUST get the reward once in 20 rolls, while you can actually roll for the eternity and never get your number)

But, we have a saying down here, let's see if it comes out well translated to english: "it isn't the pig's fault, it is of those who feed them".

Why do i say that? simple: if the odds were actually better/ more logic, more fair, etc so you actually CAN get your rewards, there is a whole lot of people who whine and cry because "it is too easy to get the good stuff" (of course most of them only said that AFTER they got theirs) so any game admin is faced to choose between two evils: A) one that spend money once in a while, get their reward and go happy or B the other option that will produce a lot of people hopelessly playing the lottery game with the few of them who had enough luck (or whatever else) to get the reward having bragging rights.

Saddest thing is i never knew any game chosing A over B

Claydough
02-18-2015, 08:23 AM
I like to loot chase, if you feel others are grtting better stuff than you, then youre probley assuming theyre opening the same amount of lock boxes as you are.

Burned In Effigy
02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Somehow I have it turned on where the chat box tells me when someone gets a legendary. One guy pulled 3 ojs from a box. How? Well he doesn't play anymore but.....I pull an oj 1out of every 10 elite boxes maybe 15.

MagnusRune Daltus
02-18-2015, 10:11 AM
how do you know from 1 box? i once had 600 von bach rep, so brought 6 boxes within seconds... and got 4 ojs... all i said in clan chat is opening von bach chest. so poeple thought i got 4 oj in 1 box, not 4 ojs in 6 boxes

Symbiosis2099
02-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Seems pretty random to me. I marathoned Courtship arkfalls for the first 3 days, I can't count how many I ran through. Day 1 I got very little, a few purp mods and vendor junk guns. Day 2 I pulled 2 ojs, a sniper rifle and an smg, pretty far apart from one another with countless piles of junk in between. Day 3 I got nothing for about 6 hours straight, then within about 10 arkfalls pulled 2 oj ARs and a Fate's Kiss. Since then the only OJ's I've gotten are 2 disruptors, and while I'm not hitting them as hard as I was in the first 3 days, I'm still doing the arkfalls pretty often.

Another good example of randomness, I have an smg with 2 damage rolls, mastered it, then rerolled the mastery and got damage. I have a gold ring that I've rerolled 15-20 times and haven't gotten crit (stuck on a damage roll with it at the moment), whereas I've rolled crit twice on my fate's kiss(out of 7 or 8 rerolls) and all I want on it is damage. Rolled damage on my drummer first try...

So yeah, pretty random from my point of view

SUPREEM
02-18-2015, 04:17 PM
RNGesus has been very good 2 me in last 2 days. Got 7 HB ojs from major ccs 2 from 7th legion box and 4 from t4 box! (Noteable mentions: respark v, vot mazu br bio, 2 HB ar, invader, HB rl). Honestly tho, i know i have a dry spell ahead of me lol.

ButtTheRipper
02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Nothing is random because of quantum physics... or is that just scientific woo?

konstantinov
02-18-2015, 08:05 PM
I pulled a new canker and a purple canker that I upgraded to OJ. I've said it before that I don't pull many OJs but I make them count when I do.

Mister Derpenhowser
02-18-2015, 08:12 PM
I like to loot chase, if you feel others are grtting better stuff than you, then youre probley assuming theyre opening the same amount of lock boxes as you are.

I don't assume anything. Me and my missus play together so I see how we open the same amount of lockboxes go to the same amount of events etc. During ss I had ridiculous favours as far as RnG went, to the point I felt bad. My gf putting in the same amount of work and getting nothing for it. And now during this event the roles have switch and I am getting nothing and she is getting a crazy amount of ojs, although saying that she has had around 16 from around 250-300 majors so not that crazy I guess. But before you say that balances out, it really doesn't. I want something for all the work I've put in without having to fork out obscene amounts of scrip to other players. RnG fails to be RnG when the winners are picked from day one.

Tekrunner
02-19-2015, 01:58 AM
What you are describing is precisely randomness. The system doesn't decide whether a player is going to get lucky or not at a specific event. It draws random numbers, which (counter-intuitively) is likely to produce strings of both good and bad luck. What you are asking for is not more randomness, but less. You want to be able to ensure that you will get one decent reward at least every x events, which MMOs usually achieve through token systems or through crafting. In Defiance we have Paradise / Chimera contracts and vendors for the token system, and upgrading / rerolling with arkforge for "crafting", but both are fairly limited, and the second one is still RNG-dependent.

Duke_Shambles
02-19-2015, 02:47 AM
This seems VERY random to me, and that's a problem. When figuring out % chance of dropping a legendary or named item from an event the chances should definitely be weighted by score. I'm not saying guaranteed Named guns for first place or anything, but score should be used as a multiplier in someway against your chances of getting something decent. It's infuriating to be constantly scoring over 100k on these things and getting blue drops non stop and hearing my friends giggling about the named drop they got for scoring 1000 points and then going AFK on the edge of the event. There needs to be a reward or a reason to try to score high on these things other than just farming keys and forge.

Bentu
02-19-2015, 03:21 AM
I used to get ojs quite frequently (that doesn't mean that they are any good) but recently I think there has been some adjustment to the rng because even the ****e ain't falling now.
Think it was about the time the t2s were nerffed.

konstantinov
02-19-2015, 04:49 AM

I remember this one time when I use to buy 20-30 t2 boxes a day. Seems like it was eons ago.

Bentu
02-19-2015, 06:06 AM
I remember this one time when I use to buy 20-30 t2 boxes a day. Seems like it was eons ago.

Even though improvements are being made it seems that the nerfs still out way them.

Do wish I could get on the pts as it's the only way I'm going to do Alcatras, don't know if it's me being a sad sack but I doubt that the rewards will be worth the effort.
Oh and while I'm on the subject, what's with the 5 minute timer crap?

Ryker Vorton
02-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Even though improvements are being made it seems that the nerfs still out way them.

Do wish I could get on the pts as it's the only way I'm going to do Alcatras, don't know if it's me being a sad sack but I doubt that the rewards will be worth the effort.
Oh and while I'm on the subject, what's with the 5 minute timer crap?

The rewards in alcatraz are fairly good if you are ego 5k+, they fairly sucks if you are <3k ego and in all cases all rewaards really sucks until you reach at least round 3, and they improve with ever following round (tat is way an expedition takes HOURS to do it, not just a mere few minute like a normal co-op)

The timer is the time you have between rounds to continue the expedition, it is quite cool actually as it gives you the feeling of doint ssomething that cannot be interrupted at will, you start an expedition you compromise yourself for the next couple of hours. Would it harm/hurt csual playing? Not at all! after you end a round you can log out and as long as you log in within the next 24 hours the timer will till be there to resume next round aas soon as you log in.

Expeditions are a very special kind of thing, i like the fact that they demand compromise, it is not sometihng you can do just whenever you like, once started you have to finish them, "multitasking" with them is not possible.

Cyripax NeoPrime
02-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Simple Answer??? ....... the "R"

;D hehe.

Sowwie, I HAd to say it, lol

Crack
02-19-2015, 07:59 AM
I used to get ojs quite frequently (that doesn't mean that they are any good) but recently I think there has been some adjustment to the rng because even the ****e ain't falling now.

Same here. I used to average 3-4 ojs per day in about 8 hours of play(most went right back to the vendor). I still play the same amount and am lucky to see one a week...After 2 years of play, there is nothing anyone can say to convince that the oj drop rates didnt get a MAJOR nerf.

Bentu
02-19-2015, 02:43 PM
there is nothing anyone can say to convince that the oj drop rates didnt get a MAJOR nerf.

Which in turn would point to the fact that they aren't as random as we're told.