PDA

View Full Version : Australian Server?

creaturemagic
02-09-2013, 06:58 AM
So before I pre-order, which I very much want to do, I need to know something. Will there be Australian Servers at launch or soon after?
And by Australian server, I mean located in Australia or close by.
Australia's Internet capabilities are well below acceptable, and trying to play a Third person shooter on an American server from Australia just won't work.
Sony put servers down here in Australia for Planetside 2, I suggest Trion does the same.

We need Aussie servers, please!

creaturemagic
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Also, does anyone know where/how Aussie are able to keep up with the TV show?

creaturemagic
02-09-2013, 10:41 PM
I need an answer. Otherwise I will NOT preorder or buy this game and nor will thousands of other Australians.
It's not a good first impression when the developers will not answer a legitimate question.

Ladayen
02-09-2013, 11:16 PM
the developers are busy working on the game not checking forums. The customer service rep for the forums was moving apparently. He may check in on the weekend but you might have to wait until Monday for an answer.

DaiKahn
02-10-2013, 03:55 AM
I seriously doubt they'd have Aussie servers, just like every other game doesn't have Aussie servers (some have but it seems to be rare)

Escyos
02-10-2013, 08:01 AM
If you have good internet, the game should work relatively well.

As for the TV show, well there is a Syfy Australian channel, I assume it would go there. They have said they are planning a worldwide launch for both at the same time, Canada and the UK get it on the same day as the US (16th for the UK because of the whole date difference) so why would the rest of the world be any different.

silentil
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I need an answer. Otherwise I will NOT preorder or buy this game and nor will thousands of other Australians.
It's not a good first impression when the developers will not answer a legitimate question.

Stop being a whiny ****. You've set a masterful first impression with your little tirade...

Firstly, stop ****ing whinging about an Australian server! We do not have the population (gamer wise) to support the costs to maintain it. Aussie servers are generally low population and the first to get absorb in server merges.

Secondly, check Foxtel for you SyFy channel package....but I'm sort of guessing you dont have pay tv and will expect it on the FTA channels >_> in which case, wait 6-12 months...

Thirdly, stop ****ing whinging you self-entitled ****! I'm a ****ing Aussie, and I bought it. I know "thousands" of other Aussies who did also, plus people in Asia...any **** kid that says he needs <100 ping to play in an MMO is kidding themselves and doesn't understand the technologies involved at all. It's not CS you ****.

Disclaimer: This is how proper Australian's talk to each other...if you're offended, go **** yourself.

NB: I miss The Chasers...

Kolreth
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Nope, nothing mentioned on the SF channel in australia, no FTA channel is advertising it at all. They seem to have no interest in the australian market.

Kolreth
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Stop being a whiny ****. You've set a masterful first impression with your little tirade...

Firstly, stop ****ing whinging about an Australian server! We do not have the population (gamer wise) to support the costs to maintain it. Aussie servers are generally low population and the first to get absorb in server merges.

Secondly, check Foxtel for you SyFy channel package....but I'm sort of guessing you dont have pay tv and will expect it on the FTA channels >_> in which case, wait 6-12 months...

Thirdly, stop ****ing whinging you self-entitled ****! I'm a ****ing Aussie, and I bought it. I know "thousands" of other Aussies who did also, plus people in Asia...any **** kid that says he needs <100 ping to play in an MMO is kidding themselves and doesn't understand the technologies involved at all. It's not CS you ****.

Disclaimer: This is how proper Australian's talk to each other...if you're offended, go **** yourself.

I'm an australian and abusing the crap out of people for their opinions as a first response is not how I, any of my family, any of my friends, and at least 95% of the rest of australia talk. Nice being a bogan, I guess you like to abuse foreigners on public transport as well.

Skar
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Traditionally "Aussie servers" are housed in US data centers along with the other servers and are merely labeled as SEA/AUS, as you point out this results in a lower server population as Australians chose the US servers to have a bigger player pool anyway.

There are a few titles that are starting to offer servers in the Australian region (DOTA2 for example provides 30ms ping to me on my cable broadband), most other games I will run at 250-300ms (there is a HUGE difference).

DOTA 2 is a free to play game that relies on micro-transactions, my understanding is Defiance will have a similar model (after the initial purchase there is DLC/microtransactions). If I feel/observe gameplay to be detrimental without a local server I will stop playing (stop paying).

If all Australians are of like mind then maybe the economics of housing a server locally become more viable. I don't expect immediate response (especially considering launch is this afternoon), but some developer attention and regard would be nice.

I'll update this thread with my ping times so those who have not pre-ordered can decide for themselves.

Blackwolfe
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Not sure if you are intentionally looking to get yourself banned or if you are just.. nah, I wont go there.

Kolreth
04-02-2013, 06:23 PM
SF in aus just announced they are showing Defiance starting April 18th, pretty happy to see that happen.

OneNineTwo
04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
If any fellow Australians are looking for a casual guild of people to play with, there's a few of us who play together under the tag DERP

Guild forum thread here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?13186-DERP-Casual-Australian-Clan)

In regards to performance/connection to the US server, it's been all fine on my end. All smooth. No noticeable lag.

Yonan
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
The game is perfectly playable from Western Australia, so add an extra 80ms to your (assumed) east coast ping of ~180-200. It's not an FPS, it's an MMOFPS. The combat is built around having tolerance for such things.

bouncy77
04-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Lol you are ans aussie huh, sad day for the rest of then

DMC14
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm an australian and abusing the crap out of people for their opinions as a first response is not how I, any of my family, any of my friends, and at least 95% of the rest of australia talk. Nice being a bogan, I guess you like to abuse foreigners on public transport as well.

you're a tip rat. He means this is how aussie blokes that are mates talk to each other (he doesnt mean we all go around giving each other **** all the time, think a little bit) and you turn around and call him a racsist bogan. you are what is ruining this country (young male metro's that are scared of lebo's when they dont even mean you any harm). so **** off with you knee high jeans that are rolled up at the bottom and your flock of seagulls hair, you look like a poofter. grow some balls and stick up for yourself.

But yeah our community is big enough to have our own servers and yes we do tend to be forgotten by the developers when it comes to getting our own servers. EA seems to remember australia ever since BC2 got its first aussie servers EA have been looking out for us (BF3 had aussie servers from day one). that is the only game i can think of at the moment that has aussie servers but most xbox games are peer to peer anyway.