PDA

View Full Version : Colony Courtship Event Recap

Horror Stories
02-21-2015, 11:08 PM
It's been a long two weeks but the event is coming to an end. So I wanted to share my experiences and opinions on the event and hopefully get feedback on how others felt. I'm going to try an go in depth on the event, hopefully trion will see this and maybe use it as a guide for building the next event off of.

Let' start off with the event named weapons.
I've listed them in order from best(top) to worst(bottom)

Best: Fate's Kiss
Why: The gun is an all around monster. High damage per shot, good rolls, good nano, and plate slicer similar effects, it made for a very desirable weapon. Modded correctly, its bloom nears 0 and the recoil is very minimal(especially with a commando/tactical scope).

2nd: Thorny Rose
Why: Not much to say about the rose really, it's a run of the mill SMG. Nothing too spectacular about it, it's a nice weapon to have, but it can definitely be outmatched by many other SMGs. I'm personally not a fan of the style of SMG it is, I much prefer the tachmag pulsers that are meant for hip fire as opposed to ADS. I'm not saying it's a bad weapon though, it definitely packs a punch and has great usability.

3rd: Heartseeker
Why: I haven't used my heartseeker enough to provide much insight to the weapons quality. I have seen it hit pretty hard when charged and hitting critical, so that's a plus. The oj crit roll is good. The radiation nano is nice. I've been looking for a decent particle repeater so snagging one of these was pretty nice.

4rd: Precious
Why: This gun only placed fourth because of it's damage output, which is very little. It does have some really good usability though. It compares to the use of an incinerator The fact that it ignites enemies and puts bio sludge on enemies is really nice. Can easily drop 50k+ points at a siege like diablo with just the assist points you get from the fire damage.

5th: Cupids Arrow
Why: This is probably the least desirable weapon out of them all. It having no nano really killed it. I mean guided rocket launchers in general are probably the least used weapon in the game. Although at ego 5900 modded out, it does have a little over 22k damage per shot. With 5 rockets per mag, I suppose it could have some usability. It would have been an entirely different story if it had a nano on it. Bio would have made it pretty nice.

6th: Final Caress
Why: I placed this weapon last because it is my personal least favorite. I have one modded out, but I can't stand it. Low damage, burst fire. Don't want to enough talk about this weapon.

Event rewards

As far as the reward loot goes for this event, that is where I was most frustrated. The RNG system is unforgiving. I put in over 4 days(24 hours x 4) of accumulative farming time and looted only one named weapon(precious). It seemed the same people were constantly pulling named weapons while others were constantly not. It really was a slap in the face to see the same 2 or 3 people saying "lol just pulled another rose" every 3 hours. I worked harder than a lot of people, and came out with one of the worst loot collections of anyone I play with. Not for ranting though, tis for observation and reflection. The mods for this event were sketchy. At first I thought all mods had equal chance of dropping, but it seems the desirable mods had drastically low chances of dropping compared to run of the mill mods. I can pull t4 tactical scopes all day, but out of 100-200 major arkfalls I completed, I didn't see a single t4 high capacity auto mod. So overall, the reward system was "alright". Wasn't good but wasn't the worst thing ever. I definitely did not enjoy my experience with it.

Event experience

One of the nicest aspects of the event was how much raw experience players could farm on low ego toons. Playing "casually" on a new toon, I brought it out of the tutorial area up to 2.3k ego in a few days. I know without a doubt I could have gotten it to at least 3.5-4k ego If I had dedicated all my time to that toon.

Event difficulty

This was subject to a lot of back and forth debate. In the opening days of the event, a lot of people said that the event was way too easy and didn't a difficulty increase, I disagree. The only reason the major arkfalls seem easy is because almost every single one has 20+ 5900 ego powerhouses hammering the monarchs. Speaking from my clan, when someone called out "major cc final". 20-30 people from the clan would jump within a matter of seconds. So the majors drop pretty darn fast. If a major didn't have any 5k+ egos show up, it probably wouldn't get finished. This event was a relief after the solstice event. That was brutal. This event was quite the change. During christmas, you were lucky to get into a major arkfall that completed. Now you're pretty much guaranteed to never fail a major arkfall. I thought the event difficulty was fine.

Connections and Lag

Everyone's favorite topic right? The event was just laggy period. Mainly due to BMG users and griefers trying to crit people out by spawning vehicles. I don't want to make a long paragraph about how I hate BMGs. Just that people always have and always will choose to selfishly and disrespectfully use BMGs regardless of what anyone ever has and ever will say. BMGs cause lag, period. A lot of the FPS issues came from the monarchs dying. Not sure if anyone has noticed, but when monarchs die, the little explosion animation they do is another process to individually buffer and puts more strain on the players processing system. So when 10 monarchs die at once, your FPS can drop and even freeze your console completely. I play on Xbox 360 and we've had big problems with not only criting out, but having our consoles freeze completely and require forced manual shutoffs.

Score and rewards

This is slightly a rant about BMG users. People refuse to comprehend that BMGs are NOT the ultimate point scoring weapon. I've dropped 100k+ using every weapon class in the game(except guided RLs). A good example is earlier today I dropped 110k with just a fates kiss and placed 3rd. 1st and 2nd only had a few thousand points more, wanna guess what weapon class they were using? Goes to show that BMGs are not the ultimate weapons, they are just easy to use lag machines that people cherish more than their own life. Other than that, the keycode and arkforge rewards were really really nice. Opening 2-5 t4s a day is a gift.

Economy

Now I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but keep in mind it's just my observation and opinion. I think the scrip economy during this event was a detriment. It's rare to find a t4 HB mod under 200k, really? The difference between t4 and t3 mods is not even noticeable, yet people are charging like 20x more for a t4 than a t3. Sure I'm guilty of selling a handful of t4 mods for that much and oj hb weapons too, but after half a dozen I stopped. Felt like I was ripping people off. Even worse were how much the named weapons were going for. People were consistently asking 2 mil for 5900 ego modded roses and even higher for kisses. To the adamant trader and merchant, those numbers might only be pocket change. Look at it from this perspective; A casual player playing only 2-4 hours a day would easily take over a month to obtain a million scrip, probably close to 1.5 months for that. So these people are in zone chat asking for players to fork out months of saving up for a single weapon that just is not worth it. This is where a lot of people mess up, their is no such thing as a game changing weapon in Defiance. Regardless of what named weapon you have, you can loot items with stats only a little worse than that of the named weapon. Take the Thorny Rose for example, sure it's a decent gun and people want it, but it honestly is not that good. A normal purple or oj looted smg with a good nano and decent rolls pretty much matches the rose. Only thing the rose will have over it is probably a bigger mag.

That's about all I can think of right now. Please leave feedback and comments. Want to thank Trion for giving us this event. I had a decent time and I'm sure many others did too.

Chris Robet
02-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Named Weapons- I have yet to use any of them so I am in no position to argue either way.

Event Rewards- I did not get a single OJ from the arkfalls themselves.

Event Experience- I have maxed out my character ego grid but I was consistently seeing 75,000+ EXP in my rewards which would level most low levels up several times.

Event difficulty- It usually took about 15-20 minutes to finish the arkfalls which in my opinion is a very nice difficulty hard enough that you can't zone out but not so hard that you just quit out of frustration.

Connections and Lag- I'm not even going to comment on this. *Shiver*

Score and Rewards- I use a grindfragger and a wildcat and I consistently score at the top of the board. I managed to get a decent bit of arkforge and keycodes.

Economy- Another topic I'm not commenting on.

Praxus07
02-22-2015, 04:20 AM
Have to agree about the loot drops, especially how unbalanced they were. Guys in my clan were indeed getting four, five, six named drops off the RNG rewards at the end of the majors. I got Zero named weapons from those drops, yet the same guys were getting one after the other, and it was multiple guys, not just one or two.

Then there was the broken contract rewards. Pulled no named off the daily, and my named from the weekly were duplicates. One character pulled two Final Caress', and my second character pulled two Cupids Arrow. Needless to say I really feel that was a kick to the nuts. Taking away nothing worth keeping makes the entire event feel like it was a total waste of my time.

Last was the lag and critical disconnects. I got disconnected and lost out on so many major endings I lost count. My Xbox completely froze up twice and needed to be unplugged to restart. Overall this event was just one big frustration.

whit
02-22-2015, 04:49 AM
My biggest problem with the event is that there is no incentive to do anything at these arkfalls. No point in killing anything to get drops because they are 99% green. No point in getting a high score as the reward chance is the same for a low score. No point in actually entering the circle as you get bmg blinded. Just stand at the edge, take a shot and go afk. Not how it should be.

Fuzzy
02-22-2015, 04:51 AM
Then there was the broken contract rewards. Pulled no named off the daily, and my named from the weekly were duplicates.

The Daily is supposed to give you one random purple gun. It was NEVER able to give you a named gun.
Same as Christmas.

Praxus07
02-22-2015, 05:14 AM
The Daily is supposed to give you one random purple gun. It was NEVER able to give you a named gun.
Same as Christmas.
So what? That doesn't negate the rest of the problems with this event.

ShatterST4R
02-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Never got a named drop, but had fun.

Tura Satana
02-22-2015, 06:15 AM
So what? That doesn't negate the rest of the problems with this event.

She never said it did. She was merely clearing up what you had wrong.

SilverWF
02-22-2015, 06:30 AM
RNG is sucks, agree. It must give you some weapon on your choice.
Or chance must be increased drastically

Graywolfe
02-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Named weapons :
Only got to try out 3, the Final Caress was my favorite out of those. It worked really well in clearing out the arkfall mobs.
The Heartseeker, well i am not a fan of charged snipers but it did ok.
The Thorny Rose, i don't like SMGs and this one did not do anything the change my mind.

On a side note the Northstar Blaze which was made just for the event has become one of my all time favorite weapons. It is just alot of fun to use and if you get it with the electric nano oooooh baby watch out. :D

Event rewards:
Was about the same as it was on SS. Lots of green drops a few blues every type of event weapon dropped and pretty much every type of mod. It did seem to be easier to get the mods for AR/LMG/SMG but there were 3 event weapons from that group.

Event experience:
Again about the same as SS was, I went up a little bit from doing arkfalls both minor and major.

Event difficulty:
Was not difficult at all. When minors showed up I would be lucky to reach it before it was over they went so fast and that is with any number of people from 1 on. Majors took a bit longer, the cores leading upto the final were over just as quick as the minors. The final itself took around 10 minutes to complete regardless of how many people showed up, I usually did them pretty much on autopilot as there was no challenge to them at all, typical hellbugs.

Connections and lag:
Were the worst yet. BMGs users were everywhere causing people many problems. To many spikes at the finals being dropped they caused more problems, why drop spikes for hellbugs anyway? Some people said the infectors and crimefighters also caused problems but i did not experience these myself. I would just get frustrated whenever i'd get hit with a healing beam and then loose the server and have relog into the game and find the final again if i was not already over.

Score and Rwards :
Same as any other event so far. I got a couple of OJs no named lots of blue and purple. It was not bad it was not good.

Economy:
No idea as any weapons or mods I did not use myself i gave away to anyone that wanted them. I never charge for items in game.

KingNephilim
02-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Event Named Weapons:
I don't at all mean to sound like a whiner, but... I personally wan't impressed by any of the named weapons. I'm not speaking specifically about the rolls, I just feel like each weapon i tried had a kink that made it... undesirable, based on the type of weapon it was. The Fate's Kiss has too much recoil, the Thorny Rose is inaccurate when shooting from the hip, the HeartSeeker's damage output & crit damage is very low compared to other charged snipers. The other three are just... bleh. Perhaps I'm too spoiled from the weapons of events past. There was always one i really took to & was genuinely impressed by. I didn't take a liking to any of these.

Event Rewards:
Averaging about ten arkfalls per day for the two weeks, with an additional number count on weekends, I can safely say I would've participated in & completed over 150 "Colony Courtships Majors". Zero named weapon rewards. Two OJ RL's which I vendored almost immediately & an OJ AR which I gave away for free. Purple mods seemed to drop rarely & only one's I didn't want... tactical scope? >_>
Bought a Fate's Kiss early on in the event, only named I kept. And as for my weeklies... Final Caress, Final Caress then Thorny Rose, HeartSeeker. Sold all four, very cheap too.

Event Experience:
N/A

Event Difficulty:
Way too easy & no real challenge at all, but this was definately due to the influx of players to each major arkfall. I did a couple at about 4am est on a weekday while the servers were empty... not so easy & massively chaotic. I enjoyed those a whole lot more than the crowded ones.

Connections & Lag:
What more is there really to say that hasn't been said a million times? However, I personally do see improvements with each holiday event. Lots of dc's for me but none DURING majors or minors. For that I am thankful.

Score & Rewards:
I think most people gave up on the rng drops early on, I know I did. As such, the event seemed to me like it was mostly about aquiring arkforge. Of course, a higher score gets you more arkforge... & thus all the score farming & bmg usage. If you got a good drop or a quality mod you could make some extra scrip, but that was about it for most.

Economy:
There were alot of inflated prices for this event from early on. Much much worse than any other event so far. People selling T4 AR mods for 150k on the second day. Ridiculous. I feel like this was due to the lack of quality drops for this event. All of the most seeked mods were scarce. I can count on one hand the number of purple AR mods I received that were not a tactical scope. I got zero purple stocks for anything other than sniper & RL ...absolutely atrocious, I say.

Bonehead
02-22-2015, 11:36 AM
She never said it did. She was merely clearing up what you had wrong.

Fuzzy is a female?

Fuzzy
02-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Fuzzy is a female?

She is! :D

Jet1337
02-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Event was ok. RNG is a *****. The end.

Bonehead
02-22-2015, 12:24 PM

I still fear the fuzzy.

Doomsteel
02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Named weapons :
Only got to try out 3, the Final Caress was my favorite out of those. It worked really well in clearing out the arkfall mobs.
The Heartseeker, well i am not a fan of charged snipers but it did ok.
The Thorny Rose, i don't like SMGs and this one did not do anything the change my mind.

On a side note the Northstar Blaze which was made just for the event has become one of my all time favorite weapons. It is just alot of fun to use and if you get it with the electric nano oooooh baby watch out. :D

Event rewards:
Was about the same as it was on SS. Lots of green drops a few blues every type of event weapon dropped and pretty much every type of mod. It did seem to be easier to get the mods for AR/LMG/SMG but there were 3 event weapons from that group.

Event experience:
Again about the same as SS was, I went up a little bit from doing arkfalls both minor and major.

Event difficulty:
Was not difficult at all. When minors showed up I would be lucky to reach it before it was over they went so fast and that is with any number of people from 1 on. Majors took a bit longer, the cores leading upto the final were over just as quick as the minors. The final itself took around 10 minutes to complete regardless of how many people showed up, I usually did them pretty much on autopilot as there was no challenge to them at all, typical hellbugs.

Connections and lag:
Were the worst yet. BMGs users were everywhere causing people many problems. To many spikes at the finals being dropped they caused more problems, why drop spikes for hellbugs anyway? Some people said the infectors and crimefighters also caused problems but i did not experience these myself. I would just get frustrated whenever i'd get hit with a healing beam and then loose the server and have relog into the game and find the final again if i was not already over.

Score and Rwards :
Same as any other event so far. I got a couple of OJs no named lots of blue and purple. It was not bad it was not good.

Economy:
No idea as any weapons or mods I did not use myself i gave away to anyone that wanted them. I never charge for items in game.

If you didn't like the Rose, you don't know how to use smg,s!

Chris Robet
02-22-2015, 03:56 PM

No offense but I totally thought you were a guy.

KingNephilim
02-22-2015, 05:06 PM
If you didn't like the Rose, you don't know how to use smg,s!

I don't like the rose... yet the dancing lady is a wepon i use constantly & one of my favourite weapons of all time.

:/

Jeff Lonestar
02-22-2015, 05:21 PM
PROS:

Depending on your Score which i personally averaged 70k or Higher I got 7 - 11 Keycodes Per Major CC!

2 Guaranteed Named Weapons from Fork Presents over 2 weeks

20k scrip from vendoring all the Crap i dont want from each Major CC!

CONS:

95.5% of the time = blue crap
4% of the time = T4 Mod & Guns
0.5% of the time = OJ Guns

Warmaster Major Arkfall Activity At All Time LOW anytime there is a 2 week Event
(Though i got to Solo Warmaster TWICE during this event!)

FedBox
02-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I enjoyed the event most of the time,

but i have to say, the RNG is a pain in the *****. I attended more than 20 ark falls in my limited time i could play (someone has to bring money hime, right?) doing nothing else then jumping phases and run as many as i could. All i got was 2 oj non named weapons beside the 2 you could pull from the box. Extremly frustrating and almost killed the event for me.

but i really appreciated all the extra key codes (pulled probably 5 legendaries during the event) and ark forge.

cheers

cmpowell
02-22-2015, 11:05 PM
I received all the named weapons and some multiples of. I was disappointed in them all, but the ojs of those weapon types that I got from majors I'm very happy with, way more so than the named ones.

my problem was with mod drops. i had no problem modding multiple weapons with t4s from just drops during the solstice and turkey day events and in this one AR/SMG/LMG mods were so scarce and there were 3 weapons in this class that used them in the event. I couldn't even get t3 in some cases and still need 3 t4s to mod out the 2 weapons i chose to do this to

Jeff Lonestar
02-23-2015, 12:34 AM
I literally just Solo'ed the Warmaster a few mins ago, 3rd time ive been able too since this event started. :cool:

NullWolf
02-23-2015, 03:55 AM
All in all it was a fun event with my biggest gripe being about the amazingly low amount of purple mods being awarded.

Gotta Heartseeker mostly t4 modded out, overall good weapon, its about tit for tat between it and my Turtle Dove for damage, crits, and such.
Also a Thorny Rose fully t3 modded out, overall its a good weapon but for a fire weapon it'll never replace my oj hellfire tachmag. Makes for a good sidekick to my oj hellfire blaster though (drop shield to trigger HB synergy, use purge to bring me back up)

As for the synergy itself I like it but multiple people spamming BMGs can hinder its usefulness.

Eleni
02-23-2015, 04:12 AM
My Recap,

Event guns quality average.

-As VOT AR since piper, a rarely seen love for FRC carbine, now on aught loves it. It always stiked hard, But i agree the purple recoil roll helps a lot yes.

-Rose/VBI SMG, im not fan of the aiming requirement, but its still a decent gun. It wont replace my other SMGs tho.

-Guided RL/Cupid arrow, very funny to create a curved ball.

-FRC sniper/Heartseeker ----------------- (havent tryied high ego, but never seen it well loved before, and sold a lot on zone)

-Final Caress/Disruptor, my favorite so far due to its very good falloff and syphon nano.

% Drops,

As gettin 0 oj from halloween, 2 ojs at thxx giving and 3 ojs at Xmas, i quote my friends "this event was your event"

At the counter 15 regular ojs from arkfalls, 5 named weapons from arkfalls, and the weeklies (16 but 8 under ego 1000)

Ended up giving Named for free to friends.

Lags,
Terrible... Up to 3 DCs per boss sequence.

Tekrunner
02-23-2015, 04:33 AM
I believe the weapons were designed to not be the strongest possible, but to be good enough to be desirable in expeditions, to make good use of the final synergy bonus. In that respect both the kiss and the rose are quite good. Kiss has a longer range (good to stay out of trouble), and the combination of bio nano and the Heartbreaker synergy means it has a near permanent +20% crit bonus. On the other hand, most expedition enemies are unshielded (so far), so fire is highly desirable, which means that the rose will be good as well. It also offers better mobility than the kiss: even if accuracy while moving isn't great, it can be good enough on some targets.

The RL isn't exactly strong, but aoe can be useful nonetheless, especially in hellbug expeditions. The heartseeker is outclassed by non charge snipers in most situations, but cloak + sniping seems like a viable strategy in expeditions, and that works fairly well with charge snipers, so it could still have some use.

I wouldn't take a precious or final caress into an expedition, at least past round 1 or 2. Precious is at least fun to use, but final caress it just too weak. Not really a problem with the named itself, but rather with the base weapon model, so nothing new there.

SilverWF
02-23-2015, 05:44 AM
All I got from this event was Cupid's Arrow - stupid and useless crap. Also as countless numbers of green-blue-purple Heartbreaker weapons, that is even more sh*ttier and was sold to nearest vendors.

Event was bad because of this.

bridget mobyvixen
02-23-2015, 09:03 AM
I was amazed at the seemingly random rewards coming out of the minor or major CC arkfalls. For example, I noticed a major CC after completing some mission and hopped on my runner and arrived in time to get some shots in on the big fat tic of a matron, then it was over. I got a t4 mod as my reward when i only got like 3 or 4 purple mod's out of all the other CC's I participated in (with probably hundreds of hours spent getting green crap). I was pleasantly surprised since we all like to get a purple mod as a reward but also quite annoyed that I got it for that little effort when i put in so much effort elsewhere for complete crap. **end of rant**

Duke_Shambles
02-24-2015, 02:41 AM
I was fairly satisfied with the event, it seemed like I had to grind a lot harder to get what I wanted at this event than the Christmas event.

I ended up with a Fate's Kiss, Heartseeker, A Radiation HB SMG that makes the rose look silly, and a bunch of random HB OJs. I did pretty well for T4 mods, only had to buy a few. The named guns outside of the Fate's Kiss seemed a little weak, luckily you could find HB legendaries that had good rolls for cheaper. Some day people will realize that it's not all about the name or the pretty red skin.

I was really surprised at how well I made out on non event OJs, as I didn't restrict myself to just Colony Courtship majors. My private stock collection of legendary guns quadrupled in size thanks to increased amounts of keys from farming, and upgrading epics and getting good OJ rolls from all the Arkforge I was pulling in.

Overall I was satisfied, and the list of things that could be improved is the same old same old complaints of server instability and such.

hardy83
02-24-2015, 11:47 AM
I got the named SMG (fire) and pistol (bio).
It's a nice combo.

Would've been cool to get all the named weapons, but whatever.

Don't know what to do with all the purple weapons and blue/epic mods I got. Probably just vendor them.
I think this event was the best so far.

Bonehead
02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
I think this event was the best so far.

Agreed. The majors were the best chaos yet imho.

Valani
02-28-2015, 03:47 PM
*sigh* Sadly, I had an emergency and had to go out-of-town to an area where internet didn't exist (at least where I was). Had just ONE more Major till my next named weapon and couldn't find anyone trustworthy enough to do it for me, which sucks. I wish I knew what I was gonna get. ^^ Other than that, I had a blast.

JOCCO5150
02-28-2015, 04:24 PM
The event was ok. But like others, I didn't see one oj drop the entire time.

Bonehead
02-28-2015, 07:56 PM
The event was ok. But like others, I didn't see one oj drop the entire time.

That's a bummer dude. I didn't get a ton but I did get a few. I like the smg a lot.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2015-02-28_00001_zpsl4gezqxv.jpg