PDA

View Full Version : Developer Interviews - LoCarb

Fuzzy
02-28-2015, 01:51 PM
In our third interview with the Defiance team we ambush LoCarb as he peeks out of his bunker following the latest announcement that he is replacing Trick as Creative Lead. (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=505)

These interviews are to help us get to know the developers' background and environment, they do not aim to focus on upcoming features.

http://www.defiancedata.com/images/uploads/2751.jpg (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=510)

We have some questions for you and would love to hear your feedback on them.

What you think about the idea
What you think about the questions asked?
What kind of questions do you want to hear?
Who do we target next?

View Article on Defiance Data (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=510)

duction
02-28-2015, 01:53 PM
if he actually plays the game, sure everyone needs a shot at being somthing... if he doesnt play this game for fun... NEXT

We dont wanna get burnt again.. again

Holy Bahamut3
02-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Cool article, I would have asked if he had any favorite book or manga series.

ButtTheRipper
02-28-2015, 02:53 PM
My question is what star date is the defiance sky set to(last paragraph in the interview)? Physical stuff!!!! Character statues would be sooooo cooool! And with 3d printing why not?

Altras
02-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Carbolicious making this game more amazing :)

Bentu
02-28-2015, 03:27 PM
It's nice to meet the devs and hear a little of the behind the scenes info, just hope now we can get away from cowboy and samurai and follow the series story line a bit closer.
Also would love a figure of my character and even better if posable.

Amack
02-28-2015, 08:24 PM
if he actually plays the game, sure everyone needs a shot at being somthing... if he doesnt play this game for fun... NEXT

We dont wanna get burnt again.. again

I assure you good sir that he does login to the PC/NA servers almost daily.

ratpie
02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
he was on yesterday talking to some of our clan members for a few
minutes, he was cool.

Atticus Batman
02-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Trick logged into the game almost daily on Xbox/Na and people still say he never played the game. So the truth is they do not care if the developers play or not. They just want to pretend that they don't, so they can use that as an arguement against the Developers.

Also just because they log in and do some basic checks, it doesn't mean they play much.

However I do not care if they play the game for fun or not. They work on keeping it up and running daily. So why would most of them want to play it during their offtime as well?

konstantinov
02-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Trick logged into the game almost daily on Xbox/Na and people still say he never played the game. So the truth is they do not care if the developers play or not. They just want to pretend that they don't, so they can use that as an arguement against the Developers.

Also just because they log in and do some basic checks, it doesn't mean they play much.

However I do not care if they play the game for fun or not. They work on keeping it up and running daily. So why would most of them want to play it during their offtime as well?

I wish ps3 got some love.

Iceberg
02-28-2015, 09:18 PM

I think they have to play in moderation, with the amount of time spent on making the game and testing it, I can't see how they haven't gotten bored of it like a customer would have. Them playing in moderation could also explain why Trick isn't so good at the game. :P

Amack
02-28-2015, 10:08 PM

I completely agree with you. I work in the technical field but nothing close to game development. However, I can say that if I were a highly skilled game developer that could choose where I wanted to work for example, then I would never work on a game that I did not find enjoyable to play.

Think about this for a minute. This game has been run on a skeleton crew for awhile now, I think most of us vets knew that whether it was ever officially announced or not. It never needed to be officially announced if you ask me, it would have been the wrong decision to make when it came to your investors. I sure didn't need it to be announced when I read about them closing locations and the huge layoffs that went with it.

It was music to my ears listening to a past livestream when PT or Trick (don't recall which) said they were going to be hiring one or two new very badly needed engineers. They then went on to comment on how they had a huge laundry list of top priority things that needed to be done when those engineers arrived.

I don't know about you, but if I am running a company in turbulence and I was only able to hire one or two badly needed software engineers... they would be darn good ones. I think Rashere spoke for himself when he came out swinging with the changes that were implemented to the weapon systems. I know that had to be done first before cyber rigs or any new systems could be added on top of it. You need a good foundation, always.

I am quite sure if they did hire someone else (I apologize for my lack of reference here) that person would be of the same calibre as Rashere and is working just as hard. I also believe LoCarb has earned his new place and things are looking quite good from where I am sitting.

Dixie Cougar
02-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Secret play character eh? The speculation begins!

Graywolfe
03-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Another great interview. I love how you guys are doing this so we can learn a bit more about the devs keep it up. :)

PhantasieTrion
03-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Secret play character eh? The speculation begins!

Actually, I think its important for Dev's to have anonymous play accounts where no one knows who they are. You can learn alot by lurking/playing this way when feedback/comments aren't filtered. (Of course the downside to this is players may monitor your known character and think you don't play :).

I know many of us who play this way in addition to our more known characters :)

--Phantasie

duction
03-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Actually, I think its important for Dev's to have anonymous play accounts where no one knows who they are. You can learn alot by lurking/playing this way when feedback/comments aren't filtered. (Of course the downside to this is players may monitor your known character and think you don't play :).

--Phantasie

By any chance have 'staff' been clearing out Orange Items from sellers holding alot of items to get the items out of 'rotation'?

Seen some strange stuff recently online and weird buying patterns. Less Orange items available works in your favour doesnt it?

Iceberg
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM

--Phantasie

I wonder if you guys would do some sort of Q&A inside the game during peak times at iron demon ranch with players, not everyone who plays comes to the forums. What kind of useful information have you and the other dev's gleamed playing with alt accounts, is there a pattern in behavior you are seeing in game that needs to be talked about?

SirServed
03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I wonder if you guys would do some sort of Q&A inside the game during peak times at iron demon ranch with players, not everyone who plays comes to the forums. What kind of useful information have you and the other dev's gleamed playing with alt accounts, is there a pattern in behavior you are seeing in game that needs to be talked about?
Small issue: There are multiple phases in-game and players not in that phase would pretty much be left out. This is one reason why the ability to manually change phases (with labels, obviously) has been requested.

Iceberg
03-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Small issue: There are multiple phases in-game and players not in that phase would pretty much be left out. This is one reason why the ability to manually change phases (with labels, obviously) has been requested.

With some luck maybe LoCarb can get that put in for the phase changing ;)

duction
03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Hope he enjoys Politics, soul crushing lol.

SirServed
03-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Hope he enjoys Politics, soul crushing lol.
LMFAO, you're so positive!

Amack
03-01-2015, 02:49 PM

There sure aren't as many as there once was... chuckle.

With some luck maybe LoCarb can get that put in for the phase changing ;)

While I would love to see this implemented as much as the next player. I do not believe it is nearly as important now that they have a set amount of phases which allows the log in servers to much more evenly distribute the player population across those phases.

It sure would be a nice surprise if they do ever get around to letting us choose manually versus having to jump to other players, but I also would much prefer to have things like Cyber Rigs first.

Tekrunner
03-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Big issue: the Q&A would happen on one platform in one region, meaning that people from all other platforms / region would be left out. And there would be no workaround, unlike for the phase issue.

Atticus Batman
03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Big issue: the Q&A would happen on one platform in one region, meaning that people from all other platforms / region would be left out. And there would be no workaround, unlike for the phase issue.

Oh you mean like the PTS is only for one system?

duction
03-01-2015, 04:38 PM
i think its about time they open'd a PTS on the xbox so we can really work bugs out,

Fuzzy
03-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Oh you mean like the PTS is only for one system?

Everybody has access to PTS, it only requires a PC. You can even get your character copied. I know not everybody owns a (good enough) PC to handle Defiance, but no one is excluded from playing on there while the live servers are something different.

i think its about time they open'd a PTS on the xbox so we can really work bugs out,

Why is the PTS PC only? (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=426)

Atticus Batman
03-01-2015, 04:52 PM

They can't. A pts requires them to make constant changes. Consoles require every update to be certified so a Pts would cost way too much time and money on a console. Then there is also the fact that PTS is it's own game, so people need a seperate download for the game, and a seperate download for the PTS. Most consoles don't have that much hdd space. Let the PC playeres do the main testing. Then we console players don't have to worry about as many system breaking bugs when we play it. Besides if you play it on the test server all the time then you will be bored of it, by the time it goes live. And lots of console players stay in the game for much longer periods than PC players, it seems.

I am fine with it. I was just pointing out that the arguement, that a Q & A on only one system/server is not anything new, and used the PTS as a bad example.

Atticus Batman
03-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Everybody has access to PTS, it only requires a PC. You can even get your character copied. I know not everybody owns a (good enough) PC to handle Defiance, but no one is excluded from playing on there while the live servers are something different.

Why is the PTS PC only? (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=426)

Yes and everyone would have access to a Q & A that's only one one system/server as well for the same reason. Same goes for the forum. It doesn't change that people will still argue against it, for one reason or another.

SUPREEM
03-02-2015, 12:23 AM

I would expect devs to be on PC, because they are devs after all, but I wonder if they play on console also.

Tekrunner
03-02-2015, 12:25 AM
Yes and everyone would have access to a Q & A that's only one one system/server as well for the same reason. Same goes for the forum. It doesn't change that people will still argue against it, for one reason or another.

The difference is that there no realistic alternative for PTS, it has to exclude console players who don't own a PC. Whereas a Q&A session doesn't have to exclude anyone, as accessing the forums and website only requires an internet connection.

duction
03-02-2015, 02:19 AM
They can't. A pts requires them to make constant changes. Consoles require every update to be certified so a Pts would cost way too much time and money on a console. Then there is also the fact that PTS is it's own game, so people need a seperate download for the game, and a seperate download for the PTS. Most consoles don't have that much hdd space. Let the PC playeres do the main testing. Then we console players don't have to worry about as many system breaking bugs when we play it. Besides if you play it on the test server all the time then you will be bored of it, by the time it goes live. And lots of console players stay in the game for much longer periods than PC players, it seems.

I am fine with it. I was just pointing out that the arguement, that a Q & A on only one system/server is not anything new, and used the PTS as a bad example.

They don't need certification on the xbox anymore, kinda a moot point really.