PDA

View Full Version : What are we supposed to be doing as long term gameplay goals?

Momaw
03-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Devs, community wranglers, players, I don't even care who answers. This is a question to anybody that will answer.

What are we supposed to be doing as long term gameplay goals?

I don't see anything that changes in the game world. You can fight a battle, drive away for ten minutes, then come back and do it again. Even major battles against the Volge and the infected don't actually shift any power, destroy any terrain, or enable any new activities or mechanics. So our long term goals obviously aren't centered around the fighting.

I thought for a while that the point was to grind for newer and more amazing guns... But when I fight solo it doesn't even matter what I use because everything is massively overpowered, and when I fight with other players everything is massively nerfed (unless you're over EGO rating 5000 I guess, since that's what it normalizes you to?). It might be argued that we're supposed to grind for specific gun /traits/ that we like instead of raw power, but that can't sensibly be it either because the chance of me finding any gun that has all the traits I like from the weapons I already have, but with any of the bad rolls replaced by good ones, is so close to close to zero that it's not even worth considering.

Are we supposed to grind reputation? Maybe something amazing happens when you're maxed out on your reputations? If so, it's poorly explained why or what. Doing daily reputation missions is boring, and given the fact that the coop mission queues are abandoned to the point of being literally unplayable, everybody else thinks so too. So that's out.

None of my friends liked the game enough to try a clan, there's no pets, no vehicle customization, no housing, no crafting, no politics, no player generated content...

What are we supposed to be doing?

Midnight
03-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Gear, it's all about the long, long, long, more fulfilling chase...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nbalw1.jpg

Chris Robet
03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
There are many pursuits that can take a couple of months to complete as well as alcatraz and cyber rugs coming up.

Bonehead
03-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Long term?

Play 'till it's not fun anymore.

Momaw
03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
There are many pursuits that can take a couple of months to complete as well as alcatraz and cyber rugs coming up.

Yeah, the alcatraz expeditions, or whatever they were called. About that...

I'm not sure if I'm just bad at the game or what, but it seems to me that high level gameplay in Defiance is defined by its capacity to randomly one-shot players with grenades, rockets, etc. So a system where you have to burn a once-a-day (or individually bought) token to revive yourself or somebody else seems ill advised from the perspective of people trying to have fun.

Or is this another "EGO 5000+" thing, where you have to out level the scaling cap in order to have your shield be strong enough to protect you from the insta-death? I haven't even passed 4000 yet so I don't know how that all works.

Iceberg
03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
For each person that answer is different. My end game has ended months ago, I just go through the motions playing because I like the game play. If I really cared I could buy the 5 DLC's and keep going through that content. I am happy being at ego level 5,700+ with the guns I currently have and the outfits I got by vendors or pursuit rewards.

If I had to guess what the actual end game was for this game, it's probably the bit store.

Midnight
03-02-2015, 08:35 PM
For each person that answer is different. My end game has ended months ago, I just go through the motions playing because I like the game play. If I really cared I could buy the 5 DLC's and keep going through that content. I am happy being at ego level 5,700+ with the guns I currently have and the outfits I got by vendors or pursuit rewards.

If I had to guess what the actual end game was for this game, it's probably the bit store.

That's Trions endgame for sure...

Iceberg
03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
That's Trions endgame for sure...

Ya, they even had a legendary weapon kit on sale for 80 dollars once, that was a fun couple weeks to be on the forums :)

Atticus Batman
03-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Cyber rugs? Which kind?!

This?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/027/0/7252545/il_340x270.653434525_sjui.jpg

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHfUpI66tfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHfUpI66tfo

Chris Robet
03-02-2015, 09:04 PM
[COLOR="darkred"]
Cyber rugs? Which kind?!

Sorry should have been specific. They are just going to have rugs randomly spawn around the world.
http://cdn2.ha-img.com/p/roomImage/200SEKD43A.jpg
http://cdn2.ha-img.com/p/roomImage/200SEKD43A.jpg

Bonehead
03-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Cyber rugs? Which kind?!

I thought it would have been obvious...

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121110202054/uncyclopedia/images/a/aa/Donald_Trump_hair.jpg

Atticus Batman
03-02-2015, 09:27 PM
I thought it would have been obvious...

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121110202054/uncyclopedia/images/a/aa/Donald_Trump_hair.jpg

You're gonna make me dig out an oldy but goodie! Unfortunately due to certain staff changes, I will have to make a new one though. So I may have to retire this one! But here it is!

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t667/atticusbatman/defiance/4ea57a2f-f4b7-4c78-a733-0dc8d477233b_zps9ab0ef12.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/atticusbatman/media/defiance/4ea57a2f-f4b7-4c78-a733-0dc8d477233b_zps9ab0ef12.jpg.html)

Bonehead
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
You're gonna make me dig out an oldy but goodie! Unfortunately due to certain staff changes, I will have to make a new one though. So I may have to retire this one! But here it is!

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t667/atticusbatman/defiance/4ea57a2f-f4b7-4c78-a733-0dc8d477233b_zps9ab0ef12.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/atticusbatman/media/defiance/4ea57a2f-f4b7-4c78-a733-0dc8d477233b_zps9ab0ef12.jpg.html)

I like this one.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/Trick-560x494_zpsofebytnl.jpg

BC001
03-02-2015, 10:06 PM
There really isn't an 'endgame' as such since the game is sandbox format, it relies on dynamic replay instead. In theory, to keep things fresh it should have more space added to the main map and new content now and then along with the rotation of holiday content but the Alcatraz stuff seems to have brought that to a standstill for a while.

In this kind of game there are a number of goals possible and everyone kind of does their own thing and sets their own goals within the larger framework of the game world. Some people focus on doing all of the missions in strict order like it was a movie, some focus on doing the pursuits, some even do the gun acquisition chase that Trick was so hung up on. Some people do a kind of private light roleplaying which has its own goals. Most people seem to mix it all up and do whatever they feel like doing whenever.

Chocolatelover67
03-03-2015, 01:31 AM
Some people make their own fun....... I just like driving around the top map and San Francisco...... I hate Silicon Valley.

I get on do a few dailies then log off. Now if this were a true sandbox you could create chaos for everyone. How awesome would that be? I mean if you could lure strong enemies into certain parts of the map and all. A proper true sandbox would give us the freedom to create total chaos......

Phobos9000
03-03-2015, 10:05 AM
As far as long term goals go, I really think this game would benefit from a "New game +" of some kind, or a type of prestiging. I think being able to start over and level indefinitely with the same character can break up some of the monotony and add some fun.

Symbiosis2099
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
After I started getting bored on my max ego toon, I made a new one, and it's helped to keep things fresh. I didn't have any DLC as I came up with my original toon and it's a bit different when you're low ego and have more options than before.

Claydough
03-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Long term goals? This game is full of them depending on what you call long term...

Leveling you toon to the cap is a long term goal in itself, chasing your unicorn weapons is another, farming that rep for t4 mods for all those weapons are more.

Then once youve done all that, start more characters and do it 3 more times!

Tex_Arcana
03-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I like this one.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/Trick-560x494_zpsofebytnl.jpg
All I can say is concerning that T-shirt logo: Rip off Serenity much?

SaikoTeek
03-03-2015, 03:01 PM
I think the game has a lot of potential for long term goals that people just fail to utilize. This isn't just a game, it also has a whole community and economic factor built in as well.

Start up some clan rivalries for having idiots using BMGs.
Run Fight Club duels and take scrip bets.
Crash the economy if you think prices are going too high.
Start a philanthropy project and give out scrip and guns to those in need and recycle donated ones.
Start an educational tour and run groups through minors, majors and incursions.
Hell, start your own gun modding business.

Look at the game from different angles and see the extents in which you can manipulate things. There's more to it than just shooting.

Chris Robet
03-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Run Fight Club duels and take scrip bets.

It's not fun unless it's illegal (and flashy).

SaikoTeek
03-03-2015, 04:11 PM
It's not fun unless it's illegal (and flashy).

I left out the female toon private chat prostitution ring for oj weapons

Chris Robet
03-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Well then that IS fun. ;)

Chocolatelover67
03-03-2015, 09:58 PM

How much scrip does that cost?

Smokey Black
03-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Get 2 to 4 solid weapons you like using and just do that. The game is fun and easir when play ed ed like that.

Tex_Arcana
03-03-2015, 11:15 PM
How much scrip does that cost?
Varus can help:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/7f/19/727f1985a8af3ed2f11f2ebd96136087.jpg

BC001
03-04-2015, 12:56 AM
Some people make their own fun....... I just like driving around the top map and San Francisco...... I hate Silicon Valley.

I get on do a few dailies then log off. Now if this were a true sandbox you could create chaos for everyone. How awesome would that be? I mean if you could lure strong enemies into certain parts of the map and all. A proper true sandbox would give us the freedom to create total chaos......

True, completely unfettered emergent behavior can cause considerable chaos if the underlying simple behaviors do not have something to make the mobs loose interest in chasing players (or other mobs) after a while. You can do a little of it as it is by riling up adjacent mobs so they come running over.

That brings up another interesting piece of emergent behavior: mobs know their allies and enemies and will fight with each other if they are from mutually hostile groups. Sometimes they will even work together for a short time against a mutual enemy. Weaker characters can use that to advantage sometimes.

One fond memory of my first days in defiance is from the second season mission number one that like many others I took by mistake in the crash camp. On the long journey to Treasure Island (ok, the natural island that Treasure Island is an artificial extension of in the real world but apparently gone again in the terraforming) that the Dark Matter base is on I ran into a big gaggle of bugs (including a monarch) that would have quickly overwhelmed my very low EGO character if it was not for a small squad of 99ers nearby that were attracted by the fighting and running around.

Together we destroyed the bugs (I was careful not to get too close to the 99ers and redirect their attention on me) though by that time only one 99er remained alive and since he of course turned on me I ended up having to kill him (so sad...lol). It is that kind of thing that makes Defiance a rare gem of a game from my point of view.

There is a more complex hybrid of scripted and emergent behavior in silicon valley with the conflict sites that include relatively long treks by the mobs which is nice though I think the devs may have lost track of exactly what they were trying to do in the push to get it in play. The one on the tall ramping bridge is the best but the other sites have real potential once they get them straightened out.

A few sandboxes do go further and allow players to create permanent content or other things, but Defiance does not really need that anyway. Some kind of aggressive enemy columns occasionally traveling the roads would be interesting though. So would a few commando skulduggery missions that take advantage of battles between two mutually hostile npc groups to go in and get the mission objectives done.

DJ51
03-04-2015, 03:28 AM
what could we use as endgame entertainment.......
How about we lobby the devs for truly nasty enemy ?
they've already hinted at directions they will move by derating high ego for standard coops.
Maybe we could have a proper scaling month where you just play from a low ego toon and the countryside os scaled once again north to south ?
Me I'm on lazy playthrough no 4 and keeping it low ego for fun and to see how the game changes easier/harder as well as the weapon chase endgame for two others.

Dixie Cougar
03-04-2015, 04:21 AM
Some kind of aggressive enemy columns occasionally traveling the roads would be interesting though.

These would be a ton of fun. Kind of like ganking Thalmor patrols in Skyrim. But as with the elves the bodies must stay around long enough for me to t-bag them...

Chris Robet
03-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Don't forget we're getting the roaming warmaster soon.

SaikoTeek
03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Don't forget we're getting the roaming warmaster soon.

I'd follow it around like a lost puppy.

Chris Robet
03-04-2015, 06:55 AM
I'd follow it around like a lost puppy.

And get blown up.

SaikoTeek
03-04-2015, 07:01 AM
And get blown up.

I'm a noob. Dying is second nature for me.

"Now I know I should say "No"
But that's kind of hard when she's ready to go
I may be dumb but I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self esteem" - The Offspring

Aphex81
03-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Shouldn't there be a sheep as your picture?

Chris Robet
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Shouldn't there be a sheep as your picture?

I work at a farm over the summers and there are lots of super cuddly cute goats there so I've learned to love goats. :D

DJ51
03-05-2015, 03:25 AM
I think I will just follow the roaming WM for the laughs, lets hope they make him NASTY !!!

Dixie Cougar
03-05-2015, 03:50 AM
I think I will just follow the roaming WM for the laughs, lets hope they make him NASTY !!!

Make him fire all his attacks on people using BMGs.