PDA

View Full Version : Will consoles hold back PC patches ?

Pitty
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
I've heard patching games on consoles is a real PITA with all the red tape.

With the TV shows events being synced with all 3 consoles, will this mean that patches and events will be delayed to coincide with each platform ?

Will the PC versions patches be held back by console versions ?

I know how much Trion patches Rift, can we expect the same attention to the PC version of Defiance ?

Mirimon
08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
perhaps the patches will be slowed by consoles (the ps3 has a difficult OS to write for, but the xbox lacks serious power under the hood)..

IMO, cut the cords from the xbox development and focus purely on PC/PS3, the only machines with the processing power to give the game the justice it deserves.

Arkamenitas
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
perhaps the patches will be slowed by consoles (the ps3 has a difficult OS to write for, but the xbox lacks serious power under the hood)..

IMO, cut the cords from the xbox development and focus purely on PC/PS3, the only machines with the porcessing power to give the game the justice it deserves.

I'm not sure why they ever made it consoles in the first place. PC has always been where the real games are

Mirimon
08-16-2012, 05:41 PM
actually, history says otherwise, from the start, only when computers became mainstream to own in homes did games start to turn their direction, then the gaming got separated. For a while there, the top notch games were in "arcade" boxes long before they were able to get ported back to a console, and in the 90's that got flipped on it's head making arcade machines obsolete.

of the "consoles" ps3 is the closest one to a PC (more so if you have the 1st edition, with multiple OS ability)

fact is, sony could stick with the cell processor for more than a decade longer and not see something stronger come along, all they have to do is a: put that into standard pc tech
b: make the next console use the cell, have much more ram and upgrade-able ram at that, stay with upgrade-able HDDS and replace that horrible OS so that they can play pc games, along with working better with pubs to ensure they can all easily write to include the system.

the console that can play both, will end the war, for a time, until there is no line and there is neither pc nor console (xbox is soo bad it's not even in this fight).

but then again, I come from an age when things used to be made solid, long lasting, and of quality, easily able to modify and bring to the next generation.

Kalbuir
08-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I will cover this in my interview with Rob Hill which will be published on deviance central probably on Monday. Don't want to give a small yes or no answer at the moment as it will run the risk of me putting it out there and people taking wrong conclusions. Short answers is: don't worry about it :)

Arkamenitas
08-18-2012, 04:51 PM
i seem to recall this coming up in another interview, and that it had something to do with what parts (from a data perspective) of the game they are patching. If they did not have to patch a certain part (maybe the .exelauncher equivalent of consoles itself) then it didnt need to go through that approval process, or some such. dont quote me on it either, we'll have to see what kal's interview turns up.

Kalbuir
08-19-2012, 12:50 PM
i seem to recall this coming up in another interview, and that it had something to do with what parts (from a data perspective) of the game they are patching. If they did not have to patch a certain part (maybe the .exelauncher equivalent of consoles itself) then it didnt need to go through that approval process, or some such. dont quote me on it either, we'll have to see what kal's interview turns up.

that is pretty accurate yes,

Mindfix
08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if the patches lagged behind a few weeks to a month for the consoles but don't think it'll delay the patches for the PC.

marshy
06-01-2013, 05:30 PM
You were wrong