PDA

View Full Version : How close should i keep my weapons/shield to my ego number?

Grimlord
03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
I notice if my shield is 200 or more less than my ego rating i seem to take alot more damage alot quicker, just wondering if that works for everything. I really like that game mechanic if it is, keeps things interesting in the weapon department cuz until i hit 5400 or so ill constantly be upgrading, always trying new guns and building new mod loadouts for others, so much fun.

Fallen_Aingeal
03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
The game mechanics with the scaling feature require that you keep shields and weapons within 100 of your EGO to achieve the greatest benefits.

Nightmare Walkin
03-24-2015, 09:27 AM
I ego'd my primary alt too fast and my gear is all 300-1000 lower than me. I am 5536 and most of my gear is 4600-5000. I think any more than 300 is the problem area. I have 10 toons on 3 psn's and have been trying to get my toons ready for expeditions as my main is the only max ego 5900 i have. I have several toons that have low gear but no problems until the 300-500 range. More than 500 is worthless

cmpowell
03-24-2015, 09:28 AM
The game mechanics with the scaling feature require that you keep shields and weapons within 100 of your EGO to achieve the greatest benefits.

^^^ this until ego 5500 then the benefits are not as useful until alcatraz comes out

Fallen_Aingeal
03-24-2015, 09:30 AM
^^^ this until ego 5500 then the benefits are not as useful until alcatraz comes out

Right. I've been saving AF to boost the few weapons I have still hovering around the 55-56xx mark.

At least this last weapons patch didn't completely obsolete our inventories like 1.5 did!

Ryker Vorton
03-24-2015, 09:35 AM

Exactly that, and that's why it is better to use green/blue weapons during leveling instead of orange. As rule of the thumb i usually avoid orange weapons until ego 4500+ the cost/benefit of keeping OJs upgraded is just not enough to justify them

Grimlord
03-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Ok awesome, thanks guys, im only at 1700 so far. Ive only come across one orange so far and i didnt even use it for very long. And i usually only mod guns that im gonna use for 40 or 50 ego, then i sell them and try out the new ones ive found that are closer to my ego. Such an awesome game, dont know how many times i can say that lol

Claydough
03-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Well, general rule of thumb i work to is, if you can see yourself using said weapon at 6000 ego, then level it up as offen as you can.

However if you have a bunch of average weapons, just dispose of them and get new ones.

Take what even vetern clan member offer as give away weapons as they are usually great weapons that have no use because they have better stuff.

r1p
03-24-2015, 10:10 AM
And by "dispose of average weapons" he/we mean if there are any mods in it retrieve them. This destroys the weapon but you can use the mods in the weapon you are replacing it with and save scrip by not acquiring new mods.

Also don't get hung up trying to get matching mods for your weapons early on. The wrong T3 barrel on an SMG still gives you 5% more damage even if it doesn't match the synergy of the weapon and your going to just yank the mods out within a week anyway.

Grimlord
03-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Ya 75% of the time i dont even mod them, i dont use them for long enough to bother, but if i get a good purple with synergy or a weapon that i really like to use ill usually go to the corresponding vendor and just buy the mods i need. I still have alot to learn about his game tho so im sure my tactics will change as my ego rises

Derailer
03-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Right. I've been saving AF to boost the few weapons I have still hovering around the 55-56xx mark.

At least this last weapons patch didn't completely obsolete our inventories like 1.5 did!

Random question but do you know if alcatraz will have required levels to play different difficulties like the co-op stuff does? I am wondering if I need to push myself to the 5000 mark as soon as possible to prepare.

Sevrin
03-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Random question but do you know if alcatraz will have required levels to play different difficulties like the co-op stuff does? I am wondering if I need to push myself to the 5000 mark as soon as possible to prepare.

At the start of the Expedition you will be put into the tier that is appropriate to your ego. If you are in a group, the group will be put into the tier appropriate to the leader. If you a higher ego than the leader you will be de-buffed. If lower ego than the leader, I believe, you ego stays the same but I'm not sure about this. The difficulty levels of the tiers is significant, so it may be best to make the lowest ego group member the leader. But others may want to weigh in on that.

Fallen_Aingeal
03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
At the start of the Expedition you will be put into the tier that is appropriate to your ego. If you are in a group, the group will be put into the tier appropriate to the leader. If you a higher ego than the leader you will be de-buffed. If lower ego than the leader, I believe, you ego stays the same but I'm not sure about this. The difficulty levels of the tiers is significant, so it may be best to make the lowest ego group member the leader. But others may want to weigh in on that.

This.

If you're low ego, don't go in with a group that is led by high or max ego. You do not scale up as in other events.

Dixie Cougar
03-24-2015, 12:16 PM
You don't have to stay that close right now, just make sure you do it while you're in the first 500 of every 1000. In other words, using a 1500 gun at 1900 will not hurt you much, but using a 1900 gun at 2200 most certainly will.

That's all going to change within months or weeks but for now, don't worry that much. And as others have said, stick to blues or purps, 95% of orange items are albatrosses until you hit 4k or so and even then you won't want to take most up with you.

Daily420
03-25-2015, 02:28 AM
"Why Keep Gear Rating Close to Your EGO"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFl80EIkZcY

"Why I Love Blue Weapons at 4K'ish EGO (PvP) (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?207526-Why-I-Love-Blue-Weapons-at-4K-ish-EGO-(PvP))"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTAm081nIY

Hope these helps :)