PDA

View Full Version : Will there be "Classes"?

Lowwang
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm wondering if there will be separate player classes like in most MMOs. I know that this is a shooter based style but perhaps certain classes would have access to different weapons and or abilities, kind of like they did in Mass Effect & Borderlands, and if so will there be a Healer/Medic or Tank? If they do implement player classes I'm pretty curious to see how they will pull off the classic roles.

Escyos
06-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Well we were told that everyone starts off as an "Ark Hunter (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Ark_Hunter)" so we can assume there are other levels.

Shrapnil
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
It seems there are different armor types that allow for different load outs of abilities. I have seen in the videos the heavy armored tank like guy, medium armor launcher guy, and the light armor sniper guy. So that is what i am expecting.

Cyber
06-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I would also expect that to be the case, although it wasn't clear to me in the past if one chooses the class from the get go or trains into it. Based on what Escyos is saying, it sounds like the latter is the case.

Escyos
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I think you train (or at least go up levels) to become something but I got the impression that there was a fair amount of sharing between these "classes", but some would have advantages over other like there would be in real life. Over the next few days I'm sure a heap more info will be coming out.

MechPilot
06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
None of us really know, But IMO I think its gonna be a personalized loadout situation. Where your only rasing the skills you actually use. If Not....well I can dream cant I? Vertical progression is DEAD in mmos, or at least experiencing death throes. Since there's not a SINGLE game that gets past its most common problems. Its very limiting to the players on the rise, and when you reach the top its not rewarding. You just start over again and make a new character.

Ofc dont get me wrong the most basic mmos still follow that mechanic however those are the games that wont be breaking any trends. There are games that get around this,some better than others.

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
None of us really know, But IMO I think its gonna be a personalized loadout situation. Where your only rasing the skills you actually use. If Not....well I can dream cant I? Vertical progression is DEAD in mmos, or at least experiencing death throes. Since there's not a SINGLE game that gets past its most common problems. Its very limiting to the players on the rise, and when you reach the top its not rewarding. You just start over again and make a new character.

Ofc dont get me wrong the most basic mmos still follow that mechanic however those are the games that wont be breaking any trends. There are games that get around this,some better than others.

I just want to post your quote as you really did, take the words out of my mouth.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Maybe you can gain skills in certain things, leveling up on each when you can or focus on one and then move on to another one. Kind of like how The Sims did with skills. That way you can do more.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
I also agree that vertical leveling is starting to feel a bit old and horizontal skill progression does feel like it should be embraced more often in MMOs. Firefall is certainly heading in that direction, and are in the process of overhauling the game completely to remove distinct levels. I believe Planetside 2 is also doing something like that, but don't quote me. That isn't to say that Defiance needs to follow suit, but I for one would like to see a system that at least use horizontal skill progression in part.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Turns out there are not classes: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/602/feature/6460/Trions-Bringing-the-Big-Guns.html/page/1

You gain levels and earn XP.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Well there we go then. Hopefully the variety in terms of the directions one can take their character is quite extensive, such that we don't have thousands of clones of a few archtype builds running around. From the sound of it, the wide range of weaponary will help mitigate this potential problem.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Now all I want to know is can you pick up all of the weapons or do you have to be a certain level or buy them before you pick them up etc.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 05:31 AM
I'm going to say there wil be level restrictions to armor and weapons etc. Otherwise a level 2 may come across the BFG by pure chance and start pwning everything in site. Maybe not level restriction as such but morelike " You must have 3 points in heavy weapons to weild this weapon" etc

Escyos
10-15-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm going to say there wil be level restrictions to armor and weapons etc. Otherwise a level 2 may come across the BFG by pure chance and start pwning everything in site. Maybe not level restriction as such but morelike " You must have 3 points in heavy weapons to weild this weapon" etc

The weapons do have various technical specs that may be able to be altered and we have been told that weapons are customizable so maybe you need to be at a certain level to buy these upgrades but still be able to have the basic weapon.

Disdain
10-15-2012, 07:58 AM
The weapons do have various technical specs that may be able to be altered and we have been told that weapons are customizable so maybe you need to be at a certain level to buy these upgrades but still be able to have the basic weapon.

Again all we have is conjecture, we can only speculate as to what we will be able to do. Iíve read as much information as is currently available but this doesnít give us a definitive answer to the subject, My answer would be thus. I think weapon Modís should compare to what is actually possible or at least reasonable. Scoping / Longer barrels for accuracy, stock hand grip for less recoil/barrel wander, larger magazines, Laser Light Modules etc etc. Thereís a multitude of possibilities. Ammunition type will alter DMG, if ammo is included in game, If it is another option to carry more ammo.

As you progress in game, Maybe your skill tree will look something like similar shooter games. I think Iíd like the Borderlands type skill set but obviously modified for Defiance and no class set. They alter your characters Weapon dmg and many other attributes, Pretty sure the most will know what Iím talking about but if you donít, get Borderlands 2, itís awesome.

What ever they decide on Iím sure it will be whatever benefits the game most.