PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Alcatraz Round 1 Tier 17

wjssmith
04-14-2015, 04:02 PM
So, I decided to try out expeditions. Load in look up and see Round 1 Tier 17. So, I think to my self they joined me to someone else's expedition. No problem i'll join the group and move out swiftly. So, I open the door and no group, but there is about a bazillion hellbugs. So, I kill the first wave. I thiink ok the group must be just around the corner. I'm sure they must be moving quickly. Move around the corner and bamm I get by something like 5000 hatchlings. So, 45 seconds into my first expedition, I'm dead, no loot and down 1 hunter req. So, first impression? Total waste of time.

Xaat Xuun
04-14-2015, 05:15 PM
by now I am guessing you understand that the Tier level is based on your level. I'm going to guess you're in the 4k area.

there is a possibility to enter a Expedition that has already started, but I'm sure one can control not doing that by selecting which expedition you want to enter, but that won't stop someone from entering yours . . by using the quick match

and if you have read anything I have posted about the expeditions, I gave warning about the first door/room (not a requirement, just saying if you had read) is the second hardest location in a expedition, and could be the most costly. It's only tough because there is not much room to start with, which is pretty much the same reason for the Boss room, not much room to play with.

And, if there is a mini boss in that first room . . OOooh boy

your experience was one I was trying to point out the most, if someone enters a expedition for the first time soloing, they're going to be upset. I tired suggesting that no hunter req would be taken till after the first room, never got a response to that ,so never pursued it any further
heck a 4 player group entering the first time could be a total wipe, but the odds are better for survivability. you just shouldn't zerg in the first room, probably best to find cover, and use the door way as a funneled kill zone , would work better if the door wasn't so wide too , It is also the only location for the ammo box till you reach the next door, and you will have skirmishes before you reach that next door.
There are moments you can rest and change spikes to reload ammo, if you're one that prefers to have damage spikes in your loadout

wjssmith
04-14-2015, 05:16 PM
So, I decided to try out expeditions. Load in look up and see Round 1 Tier 17. So, I think to my self they joined me to someone else's expedition. No problem i'll join the group and move out swiftly. So, I open the door and no group, but there is about a bazillion hellbugs. So, I kill the first wave. I thiink ok the group must be just around the corner. I'm sure they must be moving quickly. Move around the corner and bamm I get by something like 5000 hatchlings. So, 45 seconds into my first expedition, I'm dead, no loot and down 1 hunter req. So, first impression? Total waste of time.

Ok, so after about an hour i convinced myself that my first expediton must have been a fluke. After all risk/reward just doesn't work that way. If there is no chance of a reward why would risk yourself in the game.
So, I decide to do another expedition. Load in, look up and see Round 1 Tier 21. Well ****, apparently it wasn't a fluke. The system actually works this way. But, this time I see a group of green triangles on the screen, so at least there are other people this time around. Besides, I'm already committed, hunter req alread spent. No, choice but to take a big bite of this **** sandwich and hope I can keep it down. Of course at that exact moment the loading screen launches as the group completes the level without me. I figure I'm about to get booted but luckily it just loads me into the next level with the group. Welcome to round 2 tier 22, and 45 seconds later I am on the ground, dead, no loot and down 1 hunter req. I didn't even bother to use my self-revive I just extracted out. So, Expeditions, second impressions? Total.......Waste.......of....Time.

Theres a saying, "I'm not ****ing this goat, i'm just holding the rope. Well, pay attention Trion, you're going to have to do a little bit more than hold the rope on this one.

wjssmith
04-14-2015, 05:21 PM
by now I am guessing you understand that the Tier level is based on your level. I'm going to guess you're in the 4k area.

there is a possibility to enter a Expedition that has already started, but I'm sure one can control not doing that by selecting which expedition you want to enter, but that won't stop someone from entering yours . . by using the quick match

and if you have read anything I have posted about the expeditions, I gave warning about the first door/room (not a requirement, just saying if you had read) is the second hardest location in a expedition, and could be the most costly. It's only tough because there is not much room to start with, which is pretty much the same reason for the Boss room, not much room to play with.

And, if there is a mini boss in that first room . . OOooh boy

your experience was one I was trying to point out the most, if someone enters a expedition for the first time soloing, they're going to be upset. I tired suggesting that no hunter req would be taken till after the first room, never got a response to that ,so never pursued it any further
heck a 4 player group entering the first time could be a total wipe, but the odds are better for survivability. you just shouldn't zerg in the first room, probably best to find cover, and use the door way as a funneled kill zone , would work better if the door wasn't so wide too , It is also the only location for the ammo box till you reach the next door, and you will have skirmishes before you reach that next door.
There are moments you can rest and change spikes to reload ammo, if you're one that prefers to have damage spikes in your loadout

Don't take this the wrong way, but I did't understand anything you said. I entered the expediton, chose the hell bug and was loaded in. nothing came up saying quick match or anything like that. Every thing i read said expeditions would work just like the other coop maps. sign up, wait for the group to be assembled and then start at the begining.

JOCCO5150
04-14-2015, 05:31 PM
I started out solo round 1 tier 22. Was pinned down in the first room, killing raiders one at a time trying to figure out how I'm gonna get past the turret guns when finally backup shows up. It was great! That was my first time.

Second time I went in solo was even better. Open the door to some raiders then boom, tanker. Had to run around cover and finally just about had him dead when finally backup arrived.

It's been really difficult. Lots of DCs, but it's been fun.

I like the fact that you really need to communicate and have teamwork and strategy.

Xaat Xuun
04-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I haven't updated yet, and was assuming entering expeditions was going to be the same as it was in PTS

seems it's not
In PTS there was 4 selections, the first basically a quickmatch, then the 3 different expeditions. even if you're soloing, there was still that, waiting for others to join.

was you using quick menu, or the main menu, or the match vendor ?
I was just using the quick menu, pretty much just the quick menu, so it may be different from one of the other ways to enter a match, and my description was from the quick menu (on PTS, but shouldn't had been any change)

wjssmith
04-14-2015, 06:36 PM
I haven't updated yet, and was assuming entering expeditions was going to be the same as it was in PTS

seems it's not
In PTS there was 4 selections, the first basically a quickmatch, then the 3 different expeditions. even if you're soloing, there was still that, waiting for others to join.

was you using quick menu, or the main menu, or the match vendor ?
I was just using the quick menu, pretty much just the quick menu, so it may be different from one of the other ways to enter a match, and my description was from the quick menu (on PTS, but shouldn't had been any change)

I followed the mission to alcatraz which takes you to an entering Icon like the one to silicon valley, it says view expeditions. Shows the various expeditios (4 I think) and you choose one. Then ego announces "assmebling the party" like coop maps. then immediately announced "party is ready", then it counts down 30 secs and loads you into the expedition. Everything I read about expeditions said you would start in a normal area and then as you completed them and advanced enemies would grow more powerful. It didn't say you would start out with enemies so overpowered you immediately get killed. Even the PTS posts I read said solo players were making it to round 20 or so before they couldn't handle them and got killed. But, killed right out of the gate? Why would I play that? The whole point was to get the rewards. If there is no possiblity of rewards then what's the point?

Xaat Xuun
04-14-2015, 08:25 PM
I've had some really bad starts, while in PTS, if it wasn't for the free HR's , 40% of what I did, wouldn't had happen, worse for me was 13 HR's just to get through that first room, but that's only the worse, and once.
when you read, those reaching round 20, was probably early in the testing, it's not easy getting past round 5, and it will be a rare sight seeing some going beyond round 9, at least not every one that started together, doing expeditions is very time consuming to keep the progression going up.
when the expeditions first started in PTS, the Hellbug one (to me) was the easiest, but at the latest update, I was finding it to possibly have become the hardest.
I highly recommend going in with a friend, and if you want it to be easier for you, have that friend lower lvl then you and they start the expedition, that way it sets the tier to their ego level, if doing it that way, you don't want to be so far apart in levels that you get down graded.

But, killed right out of the gate? Why would I play that?
LOL your echoing what I said in PTS, but I felt like it was just going to deaf ears, or blind eyes, as I mentioned earlier, I stopped pursuing in suggesting to making the first room easier

After a few times, it's not so much needed, you'll have enough extractions, and always frustrated, eventually you will finally figure a way.
Remember, the expeditions were not designed for soloing, but possible to solo

hey my update finished, now I can log in

hope things get better for you, it will happen, may take longer then you would even want it to go, but it will happen,
Once you're past the first room, then it all happens again dealing with the boss, so you're not done yet getting frustrated, seriously, some bosses you're going to hate dealing with soloing

oh and you can stop selecting your missions from that boat and just use the quick menu, you don't actually need to be on Alcatraz to enter a expedition

I really do hope things work out better for you, I love my solo experience in the Expeditions, and I'm sure you will like them too, after you get past that first barrier (which by the way is also mine)

Haven
04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
My first one was round 1 tier 24. It went well at the beginning, but it didn't end after we killed the boss. Mutants just kept spawning over and over untill we were all killed. Normally you would think something like this would end when the boss dies...or at least stop spawning so you can mop up. Once again, Defiance DLC is a letdown.

Xaat Xuun
04-14-2015, 10:00 PM
My first one was round 1 tier 24. It went well at the beginning, but it didn't end after we killed the boss. Mutants just kept spawning over and over untill we were all killed. Normally you would think something like this would end when the boss dies...or at least stop spawning so you can mop up. Once again, Defiance DLC is a letdown.
was the boss Deskuso Offspring ? (I don't know if I spelt that right, I just call it Jr)
heard that happen with him, but that was fixed, never happened to me, just only read about it

wjssmith
04-14-2015, 10:10 PM
I've had some really bad starts, while in PTS, if it wasn't for the free HR's , 40% of what I did, wouldn't had happen, worse for me was 13 HR's just to get through that first room, but that's only the worse, and once.
when you read, those reaching round 20, was probably early in the testing, it's not easy getting past round 5, and it will be a rare sight seeing some going beyond round 9, at least not every one that started together, doing expeditions is very time consuming to keep the progression going up.
when the expeditions first started in PTS, the Hellbug one (to me) was the easiest, but at the latest update, I was finding it to possibly have become the hardest.
I highly recommend going in with a friend, and if you want it to be easier for you, have that friend lower lvl then you and they start the expedition, that way it sets the tier to their ego level, if doing it that way, you don't want to be so far apart in levels that you get down graded.

LOL your echoing what I said in PTS, but I felt like it was just going to deaf ears, or blind eyes, as I mentioned earlier, I stopped pursuing in suggesting to making the first room easier

After a few times, it's not so much needed, you'll have enough extractions, and always frustrated, eventually you will finally figure a way.
Remember, the expeditions were not designed for soloing, but possible to solo

hey my update finished, now I can log in

hope things get better for you, it will happen, may take longer then you would even want it to go, but it will happen,
Once you're past the first room, then it all happens again dealing with the boss, so you're not done yet getting frustrated, seriously, some bosses you're going to hate dealing with soloing

oh and you can stop selecting your missions from that boat and just use the quick menu, you don't actually need to be on Alcatraz to enter a expedition

I really do hope things work out better for you, I love my solo experience in the Expeditions, and I'm sure you will like them too, after you get past that first barrier (which by the way is also mine)

I went back in with my low ego toon and we actually made it thru 2 rounds before we were all killed. Still seems like a waste of time. Trion seems to have "Jumped the shark" with their new money farm.

Xaat Xuun
04-15-2015, 03:00 AM
I went back in with my low ego toon and we actually made it thru 2 rounds before we were all killed. Still seems like a waste of time. Trion seems to have "Jumped the shark" with their new money farm.
when your limited to HR availability , you just have to take it slow, I took a 900 out of mothballs, for this holiday event, and just ran him through Stolen Purpose, final boss was Dekuso Offspring . . that one takes a lot out of me, very time consuming, easy survivable fight that takes way too long.
This character really has no good weapons, my advantage, Been there, Done that, many many times. used perk that speeds up self revive, pretty much a standard perk for expeditions. if I had to self revive, I ran away and waited in a safe area, till it was at least 50% recharged.
this is something that may not be acceptable in a group, since it makes the expedition very time consuming, but when soloing and just one HR, it may be the best way . . that's saying one has the time.
I didn't have the energy to continue to round 2, I would had selected Stole purpose again if I did.
Started at tier3. I don't think the expeditions are worth it pre level 3000, only good out of it, is breaking the rigs and chips into shards for later use, at tier 3 I only was getting common drops, boss gave me 3 uncommon, and one was a chip., had to wear sunglasses when looking in the inventory, so bright from all that white.

I happy to see you finally made it past the first room, and got more of a look into the expeditions. even though it was with your alt and not your main.
in stolen purposed I used Bolt sniper, better if I had a semi-auto sniper, cheapo Ground pounder, that Havoc I picked up from the livestream code, rebound rocket launcher (only RL this character had). I do have a Fate's Kiss, started with that, but only 20% of my bullets where hitting anything I wanted to hi, the rest just went somewhere, Don't care for LMG's because of that, wasted ammo

I would kick the nest and run back where there was a turn or corner, and pretty much just snipe or bomb the crap outta them as they appeared from the corner.
If things were getting over whelming, I would just run back, and let the mobs reset, and let my Shields and health return.

Basically I let them come to me, rather then me go to them.

oh boy I just got carried away with a self victory story . .

had to Google 'Jumped the shark', and would have to disagree. It's not that bad

Zulli jr
04-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Wow, i'm seeing a lot of horror stories. However, I think I'm gonna wait a few days for patching before I jump in there.

Midnight
04-15-2015, 04:32 AM
Wow, i'm seeing a lot of horror stories. However, I think I'm gonna wait a few days for patching before I jump in there.

They knew this was how it was gonna be, why else release this during an event...I'm not touching expeditions until the event is over...hopefully they will have worked out some kinks by then

Ryker Vorton
04-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I said it manymany times during beta testing: expeditions are absolutely NO rusher friendly, must take one step at a time, and very carefully. I believe that's what i like the most about expeditions, they have a kind of thrill to be careful plan ahead and execute flawlesly if you want to survive.

The only downside for me is that i am always limited to ruond 4, maybe 5 due to time issues, i wish the timer were different so we could take a break, do some arkfalls or something else in between rounds and then get back to expeditions, even better, get back to it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

wjssmith
04-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I said it manymany times during beta testing: expeditions are absolutely NO rusher friendly, must take one step at a time, and very carefully. I believe that's what i like the most about expeditions, they have a kind of thrill to be careful plan ahead and execute flawlesly if you want to survive.

The only downside for me is that i am always limited to ruond 4, maybe 5 due to time issues, i wish the timer were different so we could take a break, do some arkfalls or something else in between rounds and then get back to expeditions, even better, get back to it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Lol, yeah I was thinking the same thing. Took nearly 1 and 1/2 hours to complete 2 rounds. Remember pay phones? If you didn't finish your call you got some change back. Seriously, you should have the option to continue to the next round or get your HR back(If you finish the round).