PDA

View Full Version : A postive take on Expeditions and some tips

Fuzzy
04-15-2015, 04:02 AM
There are way too many negative threads here about Expeditons and how people get downed and don't know what to do.

OUr group from yesterday:

a friend of mine and me (both 6k),
A clanie (6k) went with us for four rounds
Another clanie (roughly over 5.9k) joined in for 4 rounds after
And a 5.906 EGO stayed with us for 8 rounds

Friend and me both played 100+ expeditions on PTS, so we knew what to do and had a good loadout/perk/shield setup. The others we took with were new to expeditions.
We didn't use voice chat and only communicated via group chat.

Now, we completed 8 rounds, that is Tier 30, without having to use any additional Hunter Reqs.
We play on PC and didn't get dced in all that time (Started at around 11:30 PM and played for 2 1/1hrs, so server load was smaller than usual), which I realize might have been luck.

http://i.imgur.com/zyDuMDJ.jpg

Now, you need a good loadout for expeditions. You can't just go in there like in Co-Ops, you need to play tactical.

Here's what our group was using:

My loadout:

http://i.imgur.com/gHu9umx.jpg

Shield is a Guardian Angel

Perks:

Cellular Armor
Conflagation
Self-Medicated
Turn the Tide
Blast Shield
Quick Charge
Thick Skinned
Killing Machine
Fortitude

Grenades: Flash Grenades
Stims: Armor Repair Stimms
Spikes: Ammo Spikes

The others in my team:

1 Person: Cloak & Sniper
1 Person: Detonator & Decoy
1 Person: Overcharge & AR

Now it's all about the enemies and maps (http://www.defiancedata.com/expeditions.php)you're getting. Knowing the maps helps, knowing the enemies helps.
Trion posted a Preview about all expedition enemies (http://www.defiancedata.com/page=501/expeditions-preview) and we have all of the enemies (http://www.defiancedata.com/enemies.php)added on Defiance Data.

Other great advice posts:

Logain's (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?210858-A-postive-take-on-Expeditions-and-some-tips&p=1743631&viewfull=1#post1743631)

BTW, this is only some of the loot I got, I broke down a few blue rigs and slotted a few chips already:
http://i.imgur.com/tKCu6PT.png

If you'd like to know more about tactics, what we're using, tips, tricks, etc., feel free to ask in here. Expeditions are new, people need to get used to them but everyone we took had a blast playing with us.

DEATHBRINGER210
04-15-2015, 04:07 AM
nice shot of the add its so big

DEATHBRINGER210
04-15-2015, 04:08 AM
thats nice on pc yall dont dc , this is not the case on ps3

Kuroro
04-15-2015, 04:13 AM
I have some ideas and guns to try,the next week because i have not more hunter reqs...
I got disconected in 2 of 3 matches but the one i played more than 3 minutes,i did it with hardboiled guns (syphon smg+big boomer) and guardian angel,i got killed 3 times,2 of those 3 was because the other players killed the raiders on my face when i was shotting with big boomer.I wanted to try ghost duster or wolfman+milking maid but iŽll have to wait until the next week for that...

Midnight
04-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Thanks Fuzzy, can't wait to try this stuff out once Armistice is over, the stability is fixed and all the whiners give up...

Azimov
04-15-2015, 04:32 AM
Great advice op!

Logain
04-15-2015, 04:36 AM
+1 for Fuzzy's post. I have enjoyed Expeditions so far. Made it through round 4 while only having to revive once (and that was because I got too gungho). Only reason I stopped was because of Wife Aggro not raider aggro.

I do have to stress going into Expeditions for a few rounds is that a well rounded group and teamwork is needed. We discussed a few times before the each boss who has what spike when to place them and used corners to our advantage. I had discussed some of the basics on a clan page but my group looked something like this:

1. Sniper
2. Sludger
3. Gunner
4. Bomber

1. Sniper (Me) with a Bio Ranger and a BHF Tachmag as 2nd. My main goal was to was to take out turrets and bombers as quickly as possible while also removing armor plates of big bad guys. The BHF Tachmag was for up close encounters and to take out what was left over. I switched between Protection and Ammo Spikes and Flashbang or Bio grenades as needed.
2. Sludger layed out bio strategically to slow down advancing enemies. Then used either his BHF AR or Tachmag paired with Overcharge to take out enemies (most dangerous first).
3. Gunner paired fire BHF AR with a fire/rad/electric blaster whose sole purpose was to use OC and eliminate bad guys (most dangerous first) as quickly as possible.
4. Bomber paired Milking Maid and another rad/fire Tachmag to kill things as quickly as possible. The bomber also equipped either OC or Decoy and was in charge of getting to and turning off turrets after the Sniper took them out the first time.

Some major point of emphasis:

Flashbang grenades work great in a pinch (so does one person using electric).
Decide rolls of team ahead of time.
The use of BHF is really advised.
Take out turrets (at least those targeting your team) as fast as possible.
Remove armor plates from big bad guys as quickly as possible.
Using a defensive set of perks teamed with killing stuff faster perks is recommended.

And finally cannot emphasize this enough:
Target and eliminate bad guys who are currently the most dangerous to your team first!

Just my 2 scrip, hopefully this helps out a few people in the game.

Alastar
04-15-2015, 04:39 AM
The pursuits names are cool ;)

Fuzzy
04-15-2015, 04:42 AM
snip

I put a link to your post in my start post :)
Will do so for every great advice people will post here! Hope this helps finding advice easier.

Ryu Soba JP
04-15-2015, 04:49 AM
I played in expeditions and never disconnected. Didn't make it too far but hey, new maps, new enemies, trying to learn. Perhaps the hard way but it's fun.

I think the Alcatraz area looks great the maps are fun and I got some decent gear on my first run including lots of blue mods for standard synergies.

There are some minor issues that are being worked out on ps3 as I type this now. It's expected for there to be some minor issues when any new content goes live. I thank Trion an Defiance team for their hard work. Even if I don't agree ( ehem ads everywhere!) LOL

Fuzzy is right, good loadout. Play tactical.
Try not to get discouraged.

Combo Breaker
04-15-2015, 05:41 AM
+1 for Fuzzy's post. I have enjoyed Expeditions so far. Made it through round 4 while only having to revive once (and that was because I got too gungho). Only reason I stopped was because of Wife Aggro not raider aggro.

I do have to stress going into Expeditions for a few rounds is that a well rounded group and teamwork is needed. We discussed a few times before the each boss who has what spike when to place them and used corners to our advantage. I had discussed some of the basics on a clan page but my group looked something like this:

1. Sniper
2. Sludger
3. Gunner
4. Bomber

1. Sniper (Me) with a Bio Ranger and a BHF Tachmag as 2nd. My main goal was to was to take out turrets and bombers as quickly as possible while also removing armor plates of big bad guys. The BHF Tachmag was for up close encounters and to take out what was left over. I switched between Protection and Ammo Spikes and Flashbang or Bio grenades as needed.
2. Sludger layed out bio strategically to slow down advancing enemies. Then used either his BHF AR or Tachmag paired with Overcharge to take out enemies (most dangerous first).
3. Gunner paired fire BHF AR with a fire/rad/electric blaster whose sole purpose was to use OC and eliminate bad guys (most dangerous first) as quickly as possible.
4. Bomber paired Milking Maid and another rad/fire Tachmag to kill things as quickly as possible. The bomber also equipped either OC or Decoy and was in charge of getting to and turning off turrets after the Sniper took them out the first time.

Some major point of emphasis:

Flashbang grenades work great in a pinch (so does one person using electric).
Decide rolls ahead of team ahead of time.
The use of BHF is really advised.
Take out turrets (at least those targeting your team) as fast as possible.
Remove armor plates from big bad guys as quickly as possible.
Using a defensive set of perks teamed with killing stuff faster is recommended.

And finally cannot emphasize this enough:
Target and eliminate bad guys who are currently the most dangerous to your team first!

Just my 2 scrip, hopefully this helps out a few people in the game.

I wanted to throw in that BH weapons seem to be better at healing than Syphon, EVEN if you are using the Syphon perks.

A+. Good info here.

Logain
04-15-2015, 06:20 AM
I wanted to throw in that BH weapons seem to be better at healing than Syphon, EVEN if you are using the Syphon perks.

A+. Good info here.

Yeah none of us used syphon for the most part. Any fire gun listed was a BHF gun. Purge plus the Fire damage buff to non-shielded enemies seemed to be the way to go.

Sevrin
04-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Thanks Logain and Fuzzy. The Expeditions are a really nice addition to the Defiance world but they do require teamwork and proper weapons choice. A team just playing random may do well for first couple of rounds but then it all changes and things get really tough. This is how it should be.

The only things I would add is that I find the detachment perk very useful in expeditions if you can find room for it. And, that detonators are also very useful for taking advantage of the cover provided by the ramps and inclines found in many of the Expedition maps.

Claydough
04-15-2015, 06:42 AM
our groups first expedition we made it to round 6 before one of us went and we decided to disband after that.

its great fun, but my biggest gripe is the huge time investment for high levels.
a group of 5900+ is gonna breeze through to first 5 rounds no sweat. it just take so much time to get to that point of roughly where you should be starting.

while no so much of an issue now, in time repeatabiliy is going to be lost due to the time investment.

konstantinov
04-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Decoy is by far the most underrated ego power. Im using it in expeditions and it's super effective.

Loadout

Rhino IV firewall
Syphon blast rifle 1550x3 dmg
3x dmg tn boomer (prepared). 56.5k dmg

bigbri2k5
04-15-2015, 07:53 AM
I've done a fair few on PTS and last night my group hit round 6 with minimal difficulties before I quit so I figured I'd throw an important tip out there. Less haste more speed.

A lot of players who've done expert coops have gotten conditioned to trying to blitz there way through stuff ASAP, and that won't end well. After a battle take a minute to let your self revive recharge and your consumables come off cool down, it'll make things a lot easier later on.

As for powers I'd recommend cloak. It has a couple of useful benefits. Most obviously it makes you invisible allowing you to escape some of the tight spots where battles start, flank enemies and hit crit spots from behind, disable turrets etc. Secondly it immediately starts recharging your shield. Given everyone should be using an Ironclad/Rhino which have slow recharge times, this can be the difference between surviving and dying.

Bonehead
04-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Less haste more speed.

Words to live by...

Graywolfe
04-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Thank you Fuzzy for the advice and the info and thank you too Logain for your input.
I tried the hellbug one on my own last night just to see how it was and had fun with. After getting past the first room it went really well using decoy to get hellbugs to bunch up and then hitting them with my blaze. I also found it really useful to backtrack and spread them out. Some places with small tunnels were perfect for getting them to pile and take out whole groups. Towards the end of the round a couple more people joined me but I still caught caught in a corner in the last room and got killed. My own fault I was not paying attention to where i was. I did find that one for all is a must for a group in a really tight spot, used decoy to keep them off of me while reviving others. All in all I had a blast with it, you just have to take your time and not run into the rooms.

I was using the havok, electric blaze, rhino regenerator. For perks I had decoy, fortitude, regeneration, cellular armor, failsafe, self-medicated, one for all, and blood sucker.

As to some of the other new content. While I do not really care for the ad in the score screen I do like the over all layout with the top player being shown and reward system. I also liked how they changed the SV incursions, makes it much better to play them now. I also liked to new backgrounds on the loading screens, getting a chance to see parts of Defiance from other perspectives, very well drawn too. I am ok with the salvage being tied to the inventory but to me it was never a big deal to go to the salvage screen. I was hoping that with this download they were going to make it so we could see what synergy the mods were on our weapons in the salvage screen. I was also hoping for a way to better organize our inventory screen. I don't know if it was because of something they did in the download or just because so many people were trying out the new stuff but I was actually able to make it through major arkfall events with out DCing at all. Still some lag but it was a heck of a lot better than having to relog every 2 minutes to try and finish an event.

All in all I had a lot of fun I used 1 HR, since I was just experimenting with it, but will have no problem going back for more expeditions with my clanmates and friends with the free HRs I get. Well done devs and thank you all.

Sliverbaer
04-15-2015, 08:21 AM
I still need to know if One for All works or not. I had it active last night and revived a player (did pug groups) and forgot to ask if the others revived on their own or if One for All actually worked.

It was fun to watch the pick up group players run full throttle and then either get downed quickly or back track to where I was sniping from....

Round 3 of PUGs I burned through the Reqs I had.

Osiref
04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
One for all doesn't work. I had it equipped with 2 group members down next to eachother, I revived one and the other was still down.

King Stud
04-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Can I get some tips on how to deal with the various bosses? For example, input on ideal weapons/perks/team roles, spawn pattern of add-ons, attack pattern of bosses, etc would be awesome.

On my part, I can say that for Dekuso's Offspring you'll want to destroy the crystals right when they spawn, as the offspring uses them to instantly recharge his shield. Don't destroy them when they spawn right next to a teammate though; they release bombs upon destruction which will probably kill your teammate if he was right next to the crystal. When the offspring has his shields up, a corruptor is surprisingly effective at stripping both armor and shields (puzzlingly however, my bio plate slicer tachmag was not very effective at stripping armor nor shields. bug maybe?). When shields are down, drop a damage spike and immediately spam the offspring with your maid/fire smg/fire sniper. He should go down fast if you follow these steps.

Claydough
04-15-2015, 01:36 PM
All for one has never worked.

Logain
04-16-2015, 04:07 PM
I wanted to add an addendum to the tips I wrote about the other day (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?210858-A-postive-take-on-Expeditions-and-some-tips#7) as I found out some more potentially useful information.

Ran in three groups today. The first was an unorganized team of three made it through round one but died a lot at the big boss (Jackson). Used up all my weekly HR's and was not too terribly fun especially getting disconnected right when we were about to beat him.

So lessons from this group:
1. Be Organized. Take on rolls ahead of time. And stick to them.
2. Fantastic Four. These levels were designed for team of four. So make sure you make a team of four before proceeding.

Used the code ALCATRAZ to get 3 more HRs. And ran two more groups.
We had a team similiar to the four I listed here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?210858-A-postive-take-on-Expeditions-and-some-tips#7). Sniper/Sludger/Bomber/Gunner Except I was the Gunner or more like Electrocutioner.

Electrocutioner: Used an Empousa to constantly trigger the electric effect and paired it with a Demon Hunter to replenish life and for close encounters. This worked really well as an enemy shocked is not shooting allowing everyone else to kill it. (Note: this is ancedotal but I think electric will only prop once per enemy. Not sure because they usually died before it had a chance to proc again).

Died about 3 times in these first five rounds. And you know what? Did not revive myself once. We all had equipped Turn the Tide which allowed us to get 1.45 revives / revive versus just one. Also revived 3 people myself. I know this might be a hard sell but it makes sense. I also notice that if you go down it is not necessarily the best idea to revive yourself right away anyways (as the Bioman/Hulker who just knocked you out is dancing over your crawling body).

Lesson from this group:
3. Electric may be useful. If one person is running electric in your group it might be useful to help kill things faster but keep you and your team alive. More than one person seems like too much of a DPS subtraction.
4. Turn the Tide. If you have a trusted group it is better utility and economy to revive someone else than to revive yourself.

Finally, did one more group which last 9 rounds or about 3 hours (would have gone longer but a person has to eat). In which we had two relatively low ego players. We let the lowest EGO player queue up the expedition and then everyone else was scaled down to them. This was actually pretty easy for the first couple of rounds. BUT what happened was that we gained lots of experience exploring the levels without a huge risk of going down and being sent home. Albeit the rewards were not very good, gaining the knowledge of the layout of each chamber is invaluable.

Lesson from this group:
5. Pro Tip: Get Experience with the level layout. Bring in a low EGO player and have them queue. Allows you to explore and get the hang of things as each round increases in difficulty. This way when you go in at your Teir you know what is coming up and what to do without using too many HRs!

Hope this helps out you fellow ark hunters. Hope to see you in Alcatraz.

bigbri2k5
04-17-2015, 07:59 AM
3. Electric may be useful. If one person is running electric in your group it might be useful to help kill things faster but keep you and your team alive. More than one person seems like too much of a DPS subtraction.

I mentioned this in a post a while back. I think the perfect balance is 1 Electric for the stuns. 1 Bio for the slow/damage reduction and 2 fire for the DPS. The fire procs will also increase the damage of the electic/bio giving you the best mix of utility and DPS.

Another thing I'd like to mention is engagement range. Namely you want it to be as long as possible. Despite the fact you're in an underground bunker sniper rifles are very very useful. A lot of times you can stand at one end of a corridor and snipe the enemies in the room at the end. This can be especially helpful against some of the ranged enemies that fire in arcs like grenadiers/archers etc since they tend to hit the ceiling instead of you.