PDA

View Full Version : Expedition feedback

tpollett
04-15-2015, 09:55 PM
So I'm not going to talk about the disconnects; we have been updated about that so its not an unknown issue. I'm also not going to mention the limited quantities of hunter requisitions as that has been done to death. What I am going to talk about is the expeditions themselves and some good and bad factors I find in them.

First the good. I very much like the additional types of enemies and the challenge present in most of the expeditions I've been in. I've definitely had my skill tested in pretty much every expedition I've been on and never felt that it was a milk run. I wasn't on the test servers so I'm completely new at the whole thing. Luckily I had someone who had been on the test servers running with me for a few of my first runs which helped enormously. I also like the concept of cyber rigs and that they are not tied into the auto salvage system so I can collect those without the other drop types which I neither need nor want. I do wish the drop rate could be improved on the chips and the rigs; but I understand that's just RNG so it's not something I'm going to count as a negative.

What I am counting as a negative is the first room of some of the missions being abnormally difficult compared to other ones. Several times I've opened the first door and been confronted by a room that is simply way too difficult in comparison to ever other area in the tier. Most recently it was a raider room with several turrets positioned to fire into the starting room with no way to outrage them and two tankers which rush into the room and kill everyone in the group within thirty seconds. Without the turrets or the tankers this room is well within the difficulty curve. Having both present crosses the line into too difficult. Honestly I don't see how any group regardless of planning or equipment being able to complete that fight without exploits or hacking. I'm sure someone will say I just need to get better; but I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I can't see a way and that in comparison to the entire rest of the expedition that it is too difficult. The room you start in is too small; does not have enough cover and if you try to leave the room the turrets will kill you before you can exit. I'm using a rhino ARK shield with 24k health and 100% health regeneration as well as a ghost duster mkII with full synergy mods for the life steal. I can't survive running out of that first room against the turrets with full armor plates and shooting the turret for life stealing. That's something of a problem for me. It's not like I don't have quality gear or it was an especially high tier (23). Im not the best player but I do know how to play well and how to both equip myself and spec my character.

As I said; the problem in my mind is having both turrets and tankers in that room right at the beginning and not having any room to pull individual targets or places to find cover. Immediately upon opening re door we have two turrets, two tankers and a horde of other enemies all attacking at once. Players cannot trade blows with the enemies; we are gonna lose that fight every time. But taking away the ability to utilize cover doesn't allow many options. All I ask is to either remove the turrets or the tankers or to move one of those two groups far enough back that they are not immediately triggered when the door is opened. Give us a chance to actually use strategy and cover to beat the encounter. That's all. Just give us a chance.

Tl:dr Lots of good things about the expeditions. Annoyed at the first room of some of the expeditions being entirely too difficult in comparison to the rest of the expedition.

JOCCO5150
04-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Cloak right when opening the door

tpollett
04-16-2015, 01:01 AM
That is a good suggestion but doesn't exactly solve the problem. I realize it could be used to get behind the turrets to eliminate their ability to kill us; at least as long as everyone is cloaked and makes no aggressive action and the enemies didn't get a chance to fire prior to cloak taking effect. It would probably work. But am I the only one who thinks that's a band-aid on the overarching problem with opening the first door and being confronted with this set up? Am I the only one who actually has a problem with this? If so I'll shut up and just deal with it; but I'd like to think it's not just me.

SaikoTeek
04-16-2015, 03:24 AM
I know that room. It pretty much wiped my party out in 30 seconds.

I was also using a V ark and went through 2 reqs to revive in 10 seconds. If I'm getting insta killed, using prot spikes stims n having decent gear, I pity people who didn't.

bigbri2k5
04-16-2015, 03:57 AM
this is something that people pointed out on PTS, I suggested adding some more cover to those rooms to give you at least a vague chance.
As it stands you have two options. Cloak and get behind the turrets or pop decoy and run for it. This is one of those situations where communicating with your team is key, making sure people have the right powers, and making sure some idiot doesn't open the door and get you wiped before you're ready.

Xaat Xuun
04-16-2015, 04:36 AM
are you just standing in front of the door when you open it ?

once I go through the cycle I run to the back and hide, wait, and pick my first target. I guess I want to know who I am fighting first.

Hellbugs are a different story, but it also works with them. I don't open the door and run in
I can't say I never did that . . PTS gave me time to learn, for free. my first experience for the first week, was painful and no progression and I'm sure if I go back to some of my early/first post about the expedition in PTS, they were just as upsetting as the post I've been reading in General

I use Decoy or Cloak against the Turrets, most of the turrets have a sweet spot where a turret cannot target you, it's small, not always successful , I take the HP of the turrets to a sliver, on each, then reload making sure I have full mag, start my run to the generator, and taking out the turrets that only need a bullet or 2 to shut down, just before I reach the generator, I let the decoy go .. just encase they go back online before I can shut down the Generator.
I also clear the room of all NPC's before doing that.
That's just how I do it, I'm sure there are other ways

Fawks
04-16-2015, 08:56 AM
I thought these were to be matchmaking functional... I always end up in one by myself

Tyrious
04-27-2015, 09:30 PM
I was on PTS and there were to many issues there with expeditions that they never addressed and yes the biggest that you don't want to talk about is the lack of HR chips and as such Expeditions seems very barren no one wants to go into it I waited for close to an hour and no one wanted to go in (that was done today) so they are a waste of time for the most part but to get through what your having a problem with you use decoy and blast them