PDA

View Full Version : My Disappointment

Dslice
04-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I was looking forward to the Alcatraz update. The idea of multiple levels, each one progressively getting harder, keep going till you die, get better gear & improved skills (depending on the player). Try again & each time work towards a higher level.

This sounded like a great idea to me, but the end product fails to live up to the sales pitch. When Trion said that if you die without a self revive & no one revives you before the extraction countdown, you're out of the expedition & have to start over, & if you revive someone your self revive goes on cool down. I thought this was an interesting idea. If someone goes down do you ignore them saving your self revive for yourself, or do you risk getting them up to assist in killing the enemies & risk that they might not return the favor. It was a wild card that I thought could make it interesting. You could run the same expedition over & over again & get a different experience & outcome each time, taking long to get stale. Maybe I was wearing blinders, maybe I just ignored what they were saying & imagined my own thing but I expected something different.

Instead of that we got another innovative idea. People don' t go to arcades anymore ( I know arcade games still exist but not sure if there are any arcades,) but Trion is trying to bring the arcade into people's homes. Either buy your tokens (hunter requisitions) individually or psy a cover charge (patron pass) to the establishment & get a few complimentary tokens ( with more available to purchase if course.) I know Trion needs to make money, most people in the world do, but I think they just keep going about it the wrong way.

This isn't some arcade machine you pump items or tokens into, or a mobile app fremium game that advertises free but charges for every little thing in the hopes that people with addictive personalities have, & shouldn't be treated as such by the devs.

Other free to play MMO's have found ways to make profits without resorting to the options Trion does. Trion needs more money, make the patron pass have more value & people will buy it. Add more fluff items (outfits, maybe outfit dyes to re color them, paint jobs to re color vehicles &/or more vehicles) in the store in the store. Players may not like these, but Trion making money is a necessary evil for the game to continue but they should choose the lesser of 2 evils instead of the greater one.

The people at Trion all seem like good people & from the forums, live streams & meeting Scapes & LoCarb in Boston, I have only seen them be nice to the players which makes it a shame when something like this rooms around.

I make this post not out of anger but out of concern. I have enjoyed Defiance (both the show & the game) for the last 2 years, but at least once a year Trion makes a very bad descion based off of money issues. They usually bounce back from it & the cycle repeats. I'm afraid though that if they keep on this oath they'll finally make a bad choice they can't recover from & I would prefer that not to happen.

Hopefully they'll finally learn from their mistakes & change their tactics before the damage becomes irreversible, if it isn't already. I feel like I'm Chstian Bale in Terminator Salvation yelling out "If we stay the course we are all dead, do you understand, we are all dead" towards Trion.

Alastar
04-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Don't get your hopes up. They haven't changed so far don't think they're going to in the future lol

Dslice
04-18-2015, 02:43 PM
I know it's a long shot but it can't hurt to try, & it's never wrong to stand up for the right cause, even if it's an unwinnable battle.

SirServed
04-18-2015, 03:03 PM
By the way, at the least efficient price possible, each Hunter Requisition is about $.50 in cost. The basic Patron Pass will grant you 15 over the duration, a value of $7.50 in Hunter Requisitions for the 5 dollars spent. Using more efficient methods of paying (buying more Bits per purchase or buying HR in quantities more than 1) will lower the cost/value of each HR but the Patron Pass is now clearly worth the money it costs. You also get Daily and Weekly Boosts/Arkforge (modified by boosts), and 25% Ammo capacity upgraded. That's a steal in my book.

The game is Free to Play, but every feature is not. You complain about Alcatraz and the necessity of HRs, but Arkbreaker is the same way. At least with Alcatraz, they allow you to do it a few times a week for free. If no one in the game bought Arkbreaker DLC, no one would ever be able to do Warmaster. On top of that, while players are free to do the Warmaster encounter, it costs them upwards of $10 to equip the rewards. What if Trion decided to give everyone 3 Warmaster tokens per week to spawn the encounter and DLC was no longer necessary to equip the rewards?

heartbreak_courier
04-18-2015, 03:53 PM
If no one in the game bought Arkbreaker DLC, no one would ever be able to do Warmaster. On top of that, while players are free to do the Warmaster encounter, it costs them upwards of $10 to equip the rewards.

I think that's a good thing, though. People who don't own Arkbreaker still play warmasters, and I know a lot who still do even if they can't equip the loot. The encounter itself is fun, and it makes it miles easier for us to get a group of 25 going, which keeps everyone in the game.

The thing about Alcatraz is that it works in the opposite direction. If no one wants to buy HR, there are way fewer people running expeditions. If people can't get a group going, then it's far less likely that they'll continue to invest in HR. Factor in the recent instability and quirks of the system, and I think everyone's going to end up in the red.

What if Trion decided to give everyone 3 Warmaster tokens per week to spawn the encounter and DLC was no longer necessary to equip the rewards?

Isn't that essentially what they're doing with the private warmaster? Everyone spends 3 HR and they spawn a private match, right? Except the jury's still out on whether or not they're going to let people who don't own the DLC but paid for HR to equip the loot.

http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=529

SirServed
04-18-2015, 06:05 PM
The thing about Alcatraz is that it works in the opposite direction. If no one wants to buy HR, there are way fewer people running expeditions. If people can't get a group going, then it's far less likely that they'll continue to invest in HR. Factor in the recent instability and quirks of the system, and I think everyone's going to end up in the red.
Most people that I see complaining about the model either went in and got destroyed or simply don't like the transaction model it uses. People will do the content regardless for 2 simple reasons:
1) They can do it for free up to 3 times a week.
2) It's the only source of loot for the Cyber Rig slot.

There are replacements for Arkbreaker weapons if you do not own or want to use them. Cyber Rigs, not at all.

Isn't that essentially what they're doing with the private warmaster? Everyone spends 3 HR and they spawn a private match, right? Except the jury's still out on whether or not they're going to let people who don't own the DLC but paid for HR to equip the loot.

http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=529
You should still need the DLC, since not needing it would simply say that you only need to own HRs (that you can get for free) instead of Arkbreaker DLC. You spend 3 HRs on a Private Match because you want to participate in an activity without outside interference, nothing more, nothing less.