PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the Dream...

KingNephilim
04-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Hey...

The isn't another thread about boasting or complaining. And I also don't have a question. Just a quick tale to tell. Was also kinda hoping i'm not the only one who experienced something like this, but if I am, that's ok too.

So, Armistice... I was super excited for the event to begin when I heard the concept behind it. I had an OJ Hellfire AR I had kept for the longest while, which was donated to me by my clanmate, that I kept upgrading it's ego everytime I leveled over the few months before. The rolls weren't great but it was my favourite weapon regardless. Now was my chance to get a named purge weapon, I thought.
Spent the first two weeks of the event religiously chasing arkfalls & opening weekly gifts... I pretty much got nothing. Ok, then I'll just have to purhase one, I realized. I wasn't happy about it, but I felt like my luck would never increase. I spent the second weekend of the event trying to sell every weapon, mod, or shield that I wasn't using to accumulate as much funds as I could. Made forum posts, constantly advertised my wares on zone, "spammed" every event arkfall area chat with cheap & affordable items... It's super tiring trying to type using a PS3 controller, btw.
I knew that attempting buy a named with scrip would be chancey... but, that's the only real option I felt I had, as I had nothing of value I was willing to trade. Finally I had a decent amount of scrip & off I went in seach of a seller.
Strangely enough, it was only then that I realized that I didn't know what the rolls were for any of the named MK II weapons. Why did I never check?, I wondered... oh well, doesn't matter, there's always time to check rolls.
After a few days I finally found a seller & traded a ridiculous amount of scrip & a Hurricane V ARK to purchase a "Wolfman MK II". Elated... the only word that could be used to sufficiently describe how I felt. It was already modded & so there was no mod seeking to be done. Truth be told, I've never been too big a fan of smg's, always considering them to be the annoying little brothers of AR's. But I had truly revered the "DC-9 Dancing Lady" I received during the original Solstice. With full T4 mods it hits hard, has almost no bloom & it's great to use while running & shooting from the hip. I've also never had any problems with its ammo consumption. Easily one of the best weapons I own. As such, my assumption was that my newly aquired named would be it's fire breathing equal. Although the guns looked similar, and the rolls were similar, the stats were way off for the Wolfman. Much lower damage but a much higher fire rate? Hmmm... peculiar. It's ok, I thought... the new rolled weapons have higher DPS, right?
I took a couple days off after that, was pretty much burnt out from Armistice event chasing. I had finally gotten what I wanted from the event as well & so I was content. Didn't feel like I needed to do any more chasing.
Decided to log on yesterday afternoon, after a couple days had passed to try out expeditions... as I hadn't really got into it since it came out. Scrounged up a few clanmates & went in. Spent the first couple rounds using my OJ Hellfire AR (a new one btw, with amazing rolls XD), & eventually decided to switch it out for my Wolfman, thinking i'd simply be switching distance for mobility.

...WORST IDEA EVER

The only good thing about the wolfman is the flames that spout from the sides whilst firing. Those are pretty awesome, I admit & there's no green slush that spews from the sides of my DC-9. However, the weapon literally devoured all of my ammo in no time. This gun will spit out an entire magazine before you can say "encyclopedia". I don't think it would have been so bad if it did devastating damage as it's counter point... but it doesn't. I felt like I was shooting enemies with a high speed paintball gun. Clearly, it did some damage, but nothing that would make even regular mutant cleaver run for cover. I made sure to switch back to my AR to make sure that it wasn't just that the enemies were super buffed due to the round & tier... but, I was back to tearing through riflemen in a couple seconds.
I can't even get angry beacuse I almost feel like this is karma coming back to slap me in the face. Or maybe it's that I was supposed to learn some sort of lesson about greed or lust or over-ambition from this experience, like in a children's book. I was too busy chasing after this item because of the hype behind it, its named status & because everyone else wanted one yet I never tried to truly understand what it was and didn't do proper research on it beforehand. Now, I'm disappointed...

I honestly not even sure what to do with it. I'm thinking I'll figure it out at some point. Until then, I guess it's back to chasing the dream?

Anyway, just wanted to share my story... hope it was enjoyable & enlightening. Feel free to post an comments, opinions or similar stories you might have.

☆King☆

konstantinov
04-20-2015, 06:07 PM
I didn't pull any named from arkfalls and there's stuff I wanted but truly nothing I needed. A couple of friends did hook me up with a Hexer Mk2 and a Ghost Duster Mk2 without asking "what's in it for me?".

PS- Sounds like you'd be better off with a Syphon springer with Rolling Thunder.

KingNephilim
04-20-2015, 06:15 PM
I didn't pull any named from arkfalls and there's stuff I wanted but truly nothing I needed. A couple of friends did hook me up with a Hexer Mk2 and a Ghost Duster Mk2 without asking "what's in it for me?".

PS- Sounds like you'd be better off with a Syphon springer with Rolling Thunder.

I think I might need to switch clans & make some friends... lol. But seriously, I can't say that I have anything else that I really need, as well. Was just hoping to get another awesome "named", but now I can't see how they'd really top what I already have. I'm pretty happy with my simple inventory.

konstantinov
04-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I think I might need to switch clans & make some friends... lol. But seriously, I can't say that I have anything else that I really need, as well. Was just hoping to get another awesome "named", but now I can't see how they'd really top what I already have. I'm pretty happy with my simple inventory.

My biggest problem is I min/max too much. There currently aren't many upgrades that I can chase and the ones I look for end up being just a different purple roll and/or white roll. I'd like to get my greasy hands on a APS Courier Mk2 but the chances of finding one is slim to none.

bigbri2k5
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Have you tried it anywhere else other than expeditions? I have a BHF tachmag which is fine in regular PvE and even expert coops, but it struggles in expeditions, mostly because getting into the appropriate firing range is almost impossible.

r1p
04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
"Hi my name is r1p and I'm an SMG addict."

"Hi, r1p."

Seriously though, I do love SMGs and the Wolfman is in the top of the class but I have to agree that taking one on an expedition could be painful. Tachmags in general chew through ammo too quickly to use in an environment where ammo comes at a premium even with the boost provided by the Patron Pass. I'll have a lot of fun using my Woflman in PvE where I can hit an ammo crate anytime I need to but I won't be using in expeditions any time soon.

Midnight
04-20-2015, 07:18 PM
"Hi my name is r1p and I'm an SMG addict."

"Hi, r1p."

Seriously though, I do love SMGs and the Wolfman is in the top of the class but I have to agree that taking one on an expedition could be painful. Tachmags in general chew through ammo too quickly to use in an environment where ammo comes at a premium even with the boost provided by the Patron Pass. I'll have a lot of fun using my Woflman in PvE where I can hit an ammo crate anytime I need to but I won't be using in expeditions any time soon.

I've been known to put falloff barrels on SMGs to use in more confined spaces for mid-range action...not a popular choice thought

konstantinov
04-20-2015, 07:22 PM
I've been known to put falloff barrels on SMGs to use in more confined spaces for mid-range action...not a popular choice thought

I always use falloff barrels. It's the logical thing to do.

Smokey Black
04-20-2015, 07:34 PM
I found a Turkey shot pump in my claims early this morning, decided to try it out in a standard coop and was amused at how weak it was. Still thrilled to have it it looks awesome just wish it would shoot a higher gauge bird shot like ostrich shot or something.

KingNephilim
04-20-2015, 08:06 PM

It is? I have never once used a falloff barrel on any gun... ever

PTR47
04-20-2015, 10:03 PM
It is? I have never once used a falloff barrel on any gun... ever

SMGs are the only reason falloff AR mods exist. They are very good on SMGs. On ARs and LMGs they are garbage. Like, absolute garbage... might as well put a melee mod there.

crazyged
04-21-2015, 12:55 AM
Yeah, don't knock a falloff mod - I have one on my Needler and that's got me first place a good few times.

My new Dancing Lady, however...

That is one weapon that doesn't need a falloff barrel. It has bloom like a Needler and does decent damage at range. Hands down, there's no comparison between that and the Wolfman. If I get to an Arkfall early with the Lady, I'm guaranteed a top 5 spot.

It's great for expeditions too, with 102 rounds in the mag. Slower, but man, it does some damage!

I've always been an smg nut and sorry for my Needler, it's been relegated to second place.

The Lady is beyond compare!

Mister Derpenhowser
04-21-2015, 04:11 AM
I got the wolfman, reckoning and lady. I don't really like comparing tachmags against normal pulsers but I will agree the lady wins hands down. I usually go with falloff too except my lady got a crit barrel :) I also have a bio plate slicer pulser & bio plate slicer tachmag. But for expos I choose my duster over any of them, that things unreal and its stats make all my unnamed hellfire assault rifles from this event and the first hulker hell look like pea shooters.

I Am Trypticon
04-21-2015, 04:22 AM
I feel like I'm getting myself into the same situation. I've been searching for a Devil's Advocate(even a mk2), but can't find one anywhere. I have the other named sniper rifles and that's all I need to complete my "collection". I've tried doing research on it, but no one has seemed to post anything about it. Still don't know if it's worth getting.

ratpie
04-21-2015, 04:54 AM
it seems like the life steal is faster with a smg hellfire than with the ar version.
but i will take siphon over hellfire anyday.

SirServed
04-21-2015, 04:59 AM
I feel like I'm getting myself into the same situation. I've been searching for a Devil's Advocate(even a mk2), but can't find one anywhere. I have the other named sniper rifles and that's all I need to complete my "collection". I've tried doing research on it, but no one has seemed to post anything about it. Still don't know if it's worth getting.
It's worth it. It's completely worth it.

SUPREEM
04-21-2015, 05:01 AM
I use a wolfy mk2 and a hexer mk2 along with a GA for expeditions. The wolfy is a beast and it only has t3 recoil t4 falloff t4 reload t3 commando. I fair very well with this setup. I'm not big on most smgs but wolfy is imo one of the best. I guess you have to get used to hip firing but after that curve is learned it becomes a worthy weapon. Also its always a good idea to stock up on ammo spikes before you jump into an expedition using any gun with a high fire rate. Another thing, Is it just me or are the HB named useless in expeditions lol? I tried using fk and precious (of the 6 I felt these were the best 2 to go with) and MAN lol, complete disaster. I guess that syn only makes sense when everyone in map is using a HB. I don't know for sure though.

Mister Derpenhowser
04-21-2015, 05:14 AM
I use a wolfy mk2 and a hexer mk2 along with a GA for expeditions. The wolfy is a beast and it only has t3 recoil t4 falloff t4 reload t3 commando. I fair very well with this setup. I'm not big on most smgs but wolfy is imo one of the best. I guess you have to get used to hip firing but after that curve is learned it becomes a worthy weapon. Also its always a good idea to stock up on ammo spikes before you jump into an expedition using any gun with a high fire rate. Another thing, Is it just me or are the HB named useless in expeditions lol? I tried using fk and precious (of the 6 I felt these were the best 2 to go with) and MAN lol, complete disaster. I guess that syn only makes sense when everyone in map is using a HB. I don't know for sure though.

Lol the thought of using a HB weap in an expo makes my stomach turn dude. Already enough bugs to make you lose HRs without attempting to use one of those ^^

SUPREEM
04-21-2015, 05:24 AM
Lol the thought of using a HB weap in an expo makes my stomach turn dude. Already enough bugs to make you lose HRs without attempting to use one of those ^^

Well according to the devs HB guns are the go to guns for expeditions, that's what the syn was designed for. I'm a bit skeptical of that now. Were they setting us up to fail lol? Now that I think of it, I remember watching the Alcatraz review with locarb on mmorpg. He was actually using a wolf man during the expedition lol, not a HB.

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 05:58 AM
it seems like the life steal is faster with a smg hellfire than with the ar version.
but i will take siphon over hellfire anyday.

88 rd syphon blast rifle 2x dmg 2x crit is my main life steal weapon and it's a beast.

Tyler Sunder
04-21-2015, 06:50 AM
I think the feeling you got from your wolfman is a normal thing for anyone who picks up a serious tachmag for the first time. I felt the same way about reckoning. As for the wolfman it relies heavily on crits and in a way the natural falloff of it feels further, might just be me.
I can solo expeditions really well with wolfman, It requires full berserker gear, but I can hardly die with it. As for its ammo consumption add another 25% fire rate, it gets insane. To counter this I went with a berserker rig and set the few square chipslots with increased mag size and ammo replicators. Every 10 seconds I get 15 bullets, not alot, but it helps.
Then came the question on how to increase its damage overall, the answer was overcharge and pump it up perk. It has a timer on it of 1.5 seconds so my goal became raising the reload time so I could get the oc recharge each reload and I get it with 1.4 reload on the gun. Along with landing crit kills it hardly seems I'm ever out of oc.
Another thing I did was took advantage of the fire nano itself because mobs on fire take more damage and the best part of it is the aoe fire starting. I added a 3% nano initiator to my rig, thats all and not a clip goes by that something is not on fire.
On the rig itself I get 2% crit bonus each reload, 7% more damage on shield break, and 6% damage/fire rate if my health dips below 50%. I've stood against 3 formidable hulkers and laughed as they hit me because even with thier staggering I was able to full heal instantly while doing 10k white damage per bullet.
Sorry for the long post, but imo with the right setup wolfman mk2 can be made the most powerful PvE weapon in the game.

SirServed
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
The falloff feels further because SMGs have a very lenient falloff curve. It doesn't require full berserker gear though, you just need to be aggressive and get into effective range with it asap during combat.

Tyler Sunder
04-21-2015, 07:10 AM
The falloff feels further because SMGs have a very lenient falloff curve. It doesn't require full berserker gear though, you just need to be aggressive and get into effective range with it asap during combat.

True, but in expeditions where your constantly getting shield snapped the extra fire rate can mean life or death.

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
True, but in expeditions where your constantly getting shield snapped the extra fire rate can mean life or death.

In my opinion syphon is superior to purge.

bigbri2k5
04-21-2015, 09:35 AM
In my opinion syphon is superior to purge.
Curious why you think that. Looking at DD it seems like they have the same healing rate, but purge has the benefit of extra fire damage (since I don't think there are any shielded enemies in expeditions except for maybe bosses)

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Curious why you think that. Looking at DD it seems like they have the same healing rate, but purge has the benefit of extra fire damage (since I don't think there are any shielded enemies in expeditions except for maybe bosses)

Given the syphon perks and chips, the healing is not the same rate therefore making syphon superior.

bigbri2k5
04-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Given the syphon perks and chips, the healing is not the same rate therefore making syphon superior.
But wouldn't the fire perks + the inherent health damage bonus from fire nano also affect the purge's healing giving that an even bigger boost?

Bonehead
04-21-2015, 09:45 AM

I've always been a big fan of the power bore myself.

crazyged
04-21-2015, 09:50 AM
I've always been a big fan of the power bore myself.

Got a power bore on the Lady - definitely does the trick!

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 09:50 AM
But wouldn't the fire perks + the inherent health damage from fire nano also affect the purge's healing giving that an even bigger boost?

+2.5% Syphon Heal and Shield Steal from the OJ chip (I have it installed)
+6% health and shield damage stolen from your syphon attacks

On top of the base amount

When attacking a targets shields, the attacker gains 5% of the damage dealt as health/shields
When attacking a targets health, the attacker gains 10% of the damage dealt as health/shields

I still don't think purge life steal will equate to more than syphon.

PS- I use a blast rifle so everything is x3. Highest fire rate you can get.

bigbri2k5
04-21-2015, 10:10 AM
+2.5% Syphon Heal and Shield Steal from the OJ chip (I have it installed)
+6% health and shield damage stolen from your syphon attacks

On top of the base amount

When attacking a targets shields, the attacker gains 5% of the damage dealt as health/shields
When attacking a targets health, the attacker gains 10% of the damage dealt as health/shields

I still don't think purge life steal will equate to more than syphon.

PS- I use a blast rifle so everything is x3. Highest fire rate you can get.

Ah you appear to have gotten a really good weapon/chip combo, hence you think syphon is better.
Overall I still think purge would come out ahead. 150% health damage from nano + 15% damage from perk + 2.5% damage chips should all equal better healing in general. Especially if you use something like an AR or SAW, which has lower fire rate but higher damage then a blast rifle.

ratpie
04-21-2015, 10:15 AM
88 rd syphon blast rifle 2x dmg 2x crit is my main life steal weapon and it's a beast.

have a lightning flash rifle cann t5 falloff/reload.
its crazy in incusions even before the buff.
what i think makes it proc more is the fact you have extra
chances with the 3x bullets fired per round from the blast/flash variants.

my new search in wm is the mk2 version w/siphon.

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Ah you appear to have gotten a really good weapon/chip combo, hence you think syphon is better.
Overall I still think purge would come out ahead. 150% health damage from nano + 15% damage from perk + 2.5% damage chips should all equal better healing in general. Especially if you use something like an AR or SAW, which has lower fire rate but higher damage then a blast rifle.

I'd put my blast rifle against your SMG for healing any day.

Bonehead
04-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Clear the streets!

http://static.sgv2.com/img/183754/aspect/700x500/content/89/1210181648182110-shutterstock_54056662.jpg

bigbri2k5
04-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Yeah you have a really well rolled one, so it would easily beat mine. But given very very few people are ever going to get a perfectly rolled weapon like that, whereas plenty of people can get a decently rolled purge weapon I still think overall purge > syphon.

konstantinov
04-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Yeah you have a really well rolled one, so it would easily beat mine. But given very very few people are ever going to get a perfectly rolled weapon like that, whereas plenty of people can get a decently rolled purge weapon I still think overall purge > syphon.

For the masses purge is better unless you have a very nice syphon weapon.

Midnight
04-21-2015, 01:14 PM
What about siphon converting a Rose or a Kiss? Have the mod but wondering which one would be better...

red titan
04-22-2015, 04:10 AM
I pulled nothing a couple ojs and no named weapons although I was in a party where 1 person pulled feaster mkII AND carving knife in just 2 NHF majors.
on another note I got dc9 mkII as a weekly (I don't like pulsars lol)

konstantinov
04-22-2015, 04:11 AM
What about siphon converting a Rose or a Kiss? Have the mod but wondering which one would be better...

I'm not a fan of HB weapons at all so I'd say neither.