PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like More Aliens?

ClericBob
02-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes Please!
For right now, it looks like character creation is limited to only two races, human and Irathient. While they both look cool, I think it would be nice to have a few more options. Naturally this could already be in the works for launch or as a DLC/update. Or there could be a story/plot reason why there are only Irathiens (is that the correct pluralization of that word?) available .

What do you think?
What races would you like to play as?

ClericBob
02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Just in case here are some references:
Castithan:
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/images/archive/3/3d/20130206041135!Castithans.jpg

Indogene:
http://cdn.defiance.com/defiance/images/game/environment/characters/erenniden.png

Liberata:
http://cdn.defiance.com/defiance/images/game/environment/characters/varussoleptor.png

Sensoth:
http://cdn.defiance.com/defiance/images/game/environment/characters/torcmok.png

Rokkrwolf
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree completely and if I recall they said in one of the livestreams they were working on some new choices.

Dead_Phoenix
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
well all the aliens we know in the tv show and game, there all so human esc making them and balancing them for pvp shouldnt exactly be that hard. so im sure there will be more

Kordesh
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I would love to make a Castithan or Indogene character. I'm not sure that will happen terribly soon, even if they are humanoid models. The trouble is that, at least from a lore/story point, the other races don't get along with humanity quite as much and have more divergent cultures. The one alien race we can select is there because they are more comfortable assimilating with human culture and have been more readily trusted/accepted. Perhaps somewhere down the plot line something will happen and they will get added in as a DLC race or some such, but probably not for launch.

Side note: It would be interesting to have an idea if there are naming schemes behind what characters of these races would find "culturally fitting". I'm sure there are plenty walking around with typical earth/human names as it's been a few generations since they've been on the planet, but having an alien running around name "Hunk Speedchunk" seems illfitting.

ClericBob
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info Rokkrwolf. I hope your right and I hope it's on launch. Have looked at the model art, I think a Sensoth may be cool. Though, the images from the show make them look much bulkier.

And Kordesh, I would also like to see some naming schemes or tips before the show comes out. Maybe it could be added to the create a character screen like some other MMOs.

SweetMadness
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
well all the aliens we know in the tv show and game, there all so human esc making them and balancing them for pvp shouldnt exactly be that hard. so im sure there will be more

Is there some kind of "stats" difference between Humans and Irathients?

Kordesh
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Is there some kind of "stats" difference between Humans and Irathients?

Dead_Phoenix is referring to it being easy to add them with humanoid models as the hitboxes would not need to be adjusted and the armor modeling would only need minor tweaks as opposed to if they added some proportionally larger or exceptionally weird looking races that would require custom modeling/animation/hitbox adjustment.

Regarding the stat question, nobody can really say. NDA and all that.

Riv779
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I would love to make a Castithan or Indogene character. I'm not sure that will happen terribly soon, even if they are humanoid models. The trouble is that, at least from a lore/story point, the other races don't get along with humanity quite as much and have more divergent cultures. The one alien race we can select is there because they are more comfortable assimilating with human culture and have been more readily trusted/accepted. Perhaps somewhere down the plot line something will happen and they will get added in as a DLC race or some such, but probably not for launch.

Side note: It would be interesting to have an idea if there are naming schemes behind what characters of these races would find "culturally fitting". I'm sure there are plenty walking around with typical earth/human names as it's been a few generations since they've been on the planet, but having an alien running around name "Hunk Speedchunk" seems illfitting.

Thats a very good point as Trion has already gave the implication that the game and show are heavily connected in some areas, so the release of new species choices might be directly connected to what happens to the relationships in the show.

lPATT
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
i would like all 3 race up there but the liberata ... i don't want some goldeneye oddjob crap on defiance

Duerdal
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Would have liked to play sensoth, but yeh would like to see the other races included,could say it gives more scope for expansions but to be honest I only see me playing one character in this game and would have liked abit more choice.

ClericBob
02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Yea, because your not tied to a "class" I can't see much reason to roll another character, unless you just want to play the beginner stuff again. Which you might if you had certain people to play with.
I can't see myself starting over just for a new character skin.

Escyos
02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
I would imagine that having all the races playable would mean that they would have to crete multiple cut scenes, dialogue etc, some stuff would not apply to all of them.

Master Contra
02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
i would like all 3 race up there but the liberata ... i don't want some goldeneye oddjob crap on defiance

no...that wasnt racist at all... and we wonder why aliens really havent visited us lol just kidding...

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Guess I'm bringing this thread back to life... better then creating a new one I guess.

I would love to see more races, and I think Mass Effect's multiplayer is a perfect example of how to do it. The two current races are so similar in size that they have the same stats (from what I understand). I assume Castithans and Indogene will be added very soon since they two are basically human in shape and can use the same body model with SLIGHT tweaks.

Then things begin getting iffy with the Liberata and the Sensoth. Ones is smaller than humans and the other much bigger.

Hopefully the devs don't wuss out and keep us from playing these races simply because of size difference. Hopefully they'll adjust the stats to make things even. It would be fairly simple. Look at the Volus and Krogan in ME multiplayer. Volus can't take a hit once their shields are down to make up for their shortness and Krogan can soak up hardcore damage to make up for their large hitbox.

By the way, Liberata won't be like "Oddjob" from golden eye because Oddjob was mainly OP due to highly restricted controls and a magical death hat, not a problem in Defiance ;). I want a death hat though. Hmmm. Death hat.

PS- Yes I know ME has SOME very unbalanced classes (because the game doesn't HAVE to be balanced, being co-op and all), but most Krogan and all Volus races are pretty even with the basic human class.

GT3000
03-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Gulanee. Sad no one else seems to bring them up.

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Gulanee. Sad no one else seems to bring them up.

They seem to be the MOST alien of the "good guy" aliens, and probably the least likely to be playable.

TTF Spartan 657
03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
im sure i read somewhere on here that there will be a third race from launch if you buy the season pass but im not sure if its a rumor or if its true... as trion confirmed in a live stream they only have 2 playable races set for launch but more to come with dlc...

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I just hope they're willing to be somewhat creative and give us the races that aren't the same body size. They would need to adjust the cut scenes and change some stats, but I would pay big bucks for a liberata!

MattN
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
I want to play as the super mutant with the minigun. I'll take the disadvantage of a bigger hit box for more health and stronger defenses. I always like to play the heavy weapons guy in games.
I think they're called Biomen - synthetic sentient life-forms which could be mass produced, then mutated to those super mutant in the game.

Raine_Sheppard
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
I think for launch, having one additional race other then human is just fine. As DLC comes and new options appear, it'll be a nice add on. But for now, I'm happy with the four choices, of 2 races, 2 genders.

pulseMOD441
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
It looks like maybe the Sensoth will be the extra playable species. I mean, they've already got him in the starting heavy gunner gear.

EDIT
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Yes, yes I indeed would like a more robust character customization system in the final release... please Trion! :)

AZAG0TH
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I would like to see this as well - hopefully the other races will not be tied to DLC.

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes, yes I indeed would like a more robust character customization system in the final release... please Trion! :)

Ya... as much as I would love to play a liberata, I think I would rather them give us some GOOD customization first.

I can forgive a game with a ton of different races and player character models for having poor customization options, but this game has two races that are NEARLY the same. We're not talking Goblins and Werewolves here, we're talking humans and humans with big noses and slightly pointy ears.

S4DN3SS
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
I was reading about the Ultimate Edition that comes with a Seasons Pass. I read up on the Seasons Pass that it will add one playable race to the selection, so I'm thinking it's the Castithans.

Solo
03-25-2013, 08:30 PM
i pick the Castithan for some reason idk why, but they remind me of the blood elves from WOW and yes i did say WOW on this forum even though i only played it for 10mins.

Ensu
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
i pick the Castithan for some reason idk why, but they remind me of the blood elves from WOW and yes i did say WOW on this forum even though i only played it for 10mins.

Calm down. It's okay. You can say it without stigma.

6Strummer
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
I always make a character that looks like me if possible, but I definitely see myself leveling up another character at some point so the more aliens the better. On the other hand there's not enough customization options to make a virtual me like I'd want to so maybe I'll go alien right away.

Sakara
03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
I saw it mentioned on a local Gamestop timecard display; the season pass, at least according to the advertisement, will have a thrid race become available. Sadly, I have no idea how soon after launch the race will be available.

JMadFour
03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
my guess is that Sensoth will be the next race.

just a blind hunch.

Rebel Raven
03-26-2013, 12:31 AM
I'd appreciate more racial diversity. Some of us players a pretty vain, and might see some traits we like out of the alien species, and thus want to incorporate them. A lot fothe aliens are going to be human sized/shaped.

Who knows? maybe not all 99ers, and mutants are bad, and we can get into some of those groups?

Thunderclap
03-26-2013, 01:28 AM
No you can't. Wow is the antithesis of this. They have playable Kung fu pandas for deities sake. Hey, I know. Why don't we have Ents too? Ents are huge and they would fit perfectly in the new earth. smh

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
my guess is that Sensoth will be the next race.

just a blind hunch.

Nope, not gonna happen for a while (if ever).

Castithan and Indogene races have basically the same bodies as humans. The only thing that would need to be tweaked is their facial features and skin tone (and the Castithans barely even need that!)

Counter to that are the Sensoth and the Liberata, who are the only two other races who could be playable and fit in lore. While these two races are very human'ish, their body shapes are different enough to require totally new models... which would be A LOT of work.

The Sensoth are very tall, giving them a big hitbox and making them tough to play. The Liberata are pretty short, giving them a smaller hitbox and an advantage. Stats would need tweaking for sure.

Then of course you have the issue of animations for cutscenes, fitting outfits to the new bodyshapes... ect.

Hopefully we'll see them in the future, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it, and they certainly won't be the first new races we see, sadly.

PS- Maybe biomen would be another easily implanted "race" but I think they're typically much bulkier than humans. I may be wrong though.