PDA

View Full Version : WM leader board

cmpowell
04-29-2015, 04:46 PM
What happened to it? Now, at least for me on ps3, it just says completed and shows who came in 1st. I'd like to see what I scored compared to others and whatever happened to the option to see your dmg score that was supposed to happen?

I still see a ldr board for ark falls btw

Fallen_Aingeal
04-29-2015, 04:56 PM
I was curious about this also...

Bonehead
04-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Haven't done a WM since Alcatraz.

Is the "continue" button gone?

Fallen_Aingeal
04-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Haven't done a WM since Alcatraz.

Is the "continue" button gone?

yup.......

Tura Satana
04-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Right, and no option to continue. Actually.. there was no one's score when I finished. Just "Completed." Same thing with co-op. Not particularly happy about one time in particular I had kicked huge amounts of ***.

Mrdr
04-29-2015, 05:31 PM
What happened to it? Now, at least for me on ps3, it just says completed and shows who came in 1st. I'd like to see what I scored compared to others and whatever happened to the option to see your dmg score that was supposed to happen?

I still see a ldr board for ark falls btw

Same here. I just assumed that I always came in 2nd. LOL

Bonehead
04-29-2015, 08:54 PM
yup.......

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/giphy_zpsa697a31a.gif

Burned In Effigy
04-29-2015, 09:05 PM
The 1st place person only gets 1st because he/she killed all the volge once they got in the ark. I've had this happen where I was able to mow down 10+ volge then came out waaaay ahead of the 2nd place guy who had no kills. So I'd say the 1st place winner would be the guy who has 0 kills(ark volge)/2nd place etc

Burned In Effigy
04-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Oh yeah.....its pretty bad that you can only see the leader and a "purchase score boost" poster. Kinda like its mocking you, telling you you suck, and you need this boost to get top score buckaroo.

DEATHBRINGER210
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
at daily and weekly sites as well no scores either . free ride joes are having a blast

Chump Norris
04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I didn't like this at first but them I started thinking about it. If people cant see their score maybe they will be more inclined to do damage instead of trying to lame their way to 1st place with high scoring but less effective weapons.

Niner82
04-29-2015, 10:20 PM
What scoreboard? ;)

SirServed
04-29-2015, 11:19 PM
I didn't like this at first but them I started thinking about it. If people cant see their score maybe they will be more inclined to do damage instead of trying to lame their way to 1st place with high scoring but less effective weapons.
If only that were the case. People will try different things to get 1st but a score farmer will still manage to do it. The Inspect happens on the top scorer and the player has a BMG equipped. They will use a BMG from that point forward, even if they don't understand why.

Dixie Cougar
04-30-2015, 01:57 AM
If only that were the case. People will try different things to get 1st but a score farmer will still manage to do it. The Inspect happens on the top scorer and the player has a BMG equipped. They will use a BMG from that point forward, even if they don't understand why.

Displaying the top scorer was a bad idea given how screwy the score system is. It's simply compounding the error.

Soundtrack26
04-30-2015, 02:06 AM
...doesn't matter to me i know i come in "21st".

SirServed
04-30-2015, 02:10 AM
Displaying the top scorer was a bad idea given how screwy the score system is. It's simply compounding the error.
Does this fall under Trolling of the Highest Caliber or good intentions gone awry?

Bentu
04-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Why are you worried about leader boards, as long as you've done enough to get the top tier reward is all that counts.

I mean what do you get extra by coming first? Now if you got a jp weapon that would be a different story.

SirServed
04-30-2015, 04:05 AM
Why are you worried about leader boards, as long as you've done enough to get the top tier reward is all that counts.

I mean what do you get extra by coming first? Now if you got a jp weapon that would be a different story.
I don't know why it's so appealing but less to mid-experienced players trend towards ineffective methods of completing the encounter in an attempt to get on top. You would literally have to ask an average player (that also ironically doesn't use the forums to know what they're doing isn't helpful) why they do it.

Dixie Cougar
04-30-2015, 04:06 AM
I don't know why it's so appealing but less to mid-experienced players trend towards ineffective methods of completing the encounter in an attempt to get on top. You would literally have to ask an average player (that also ironically doesn't use the forums to know what they're doing isn't helpful) why they do it.

The power of e-peen compels you!

Bentu
04-30-2015, 04:20 AM

I can understand the need to come first and being able to say look I beat you all but in the wm that counts for nought imo.
These people you speak of wouldn't be able to answer you as they don't know what they are supposed to be doing.
Yes they have the info that ego gives them but no group co ordination and a huge arsenal of weapons that are totally useless in the wm.

konstantinov
04-30-2015, 06:39 AM
I can understand the need to come first and being able to say look I beat you all but in the wm that counts for nought imo.
These people you speak of wouldn't be able to answer you as they don't know what they are supposed to be doing.
Yes they have the info that ego gives them but no group co ordination and a huge arsenal of weapons that are totally useless in the wm.

Without damage numbers on the leader board who cares about stats? You can carry people all day long but the current setup is catered to participation rather than damage in a damage based fight.

PS- A blue bug gun will score higher than a 3x crit JP wildcat on the leader board in its current state.

r1p
04-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Without damage numbers on the leader board who cares about stats? You can carry people all day long but the current setup is catered to participation rather than damage in a damage based fight.

PS- A blue bug gun will score higher than a 3x crit JP wildcat on the leader board in its current state.

Woohoo!

**Changes WM loadout to Stingray/Blighter**

Now I will own WM, muahahaha! :p

SUPREEM
04-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Score matters not, only loot. Jmo.

Bentu
04-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Doesn't that prove my point though?

SirServed
04-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Doesn't that prove my point though?
We're all making the same point, just in different words. The Top Score feature is leading the herd further away from being effective now more than ever before. People don't know what they should be doing, so when an event shows them some guy with a BMG and Infector got the Top Score, they just copy that guy because they don't understand how the score system actually works. Once they get into content that doesn't allow for it (namely Expeditions), they get steamrolled and come back crying that the game is too hard.

Dixie Cougar
04-30-2015, 02:06 PM
We're all making the same point, just in different words. The Top Score feature is leading the herd further away from being effective now more than ever before. People don't know what they should be doing, so when an event shows them some guy with a BMG and Infector got the Top Score, they just copy that guy because they don't understand how the score system actually works. Once they get into content that doesn't allow for it (namely Expeditions), they get steamrolled and come back crying that the game is too hard.

This is arguably of a piece with "let's disable those locks and crack this nut open" prompting noobs to do just that--something that's only safely done for experienced players. But why double down on the somewhat flawed score system in a rather flawed encounter, thereby encouraging people to use extremely flawed loadouts?

I still cling to the belief that some portion of the playerbase might construct reasonably effective loadouts if they weren't pushed in the other direction by the scoring system and now the top player function. If this were not true we would not have any success helping our new members improve their setup. Trouble is, that kind of guidance can't be replicated on a greater scale for players who don't read the forums (ie Logain's guide)--as evidenced by the abject failure of the large clans to train their rank and file to do anything more advanced than zerg the fight with 50 players (and then rage at vets for rushing the encounter because they think packing the instance is still necessary).

SirServed
04-30-2015, 02:15 PM
I still cling to the belief that some portion of the playerbase might construct reasonably effective loadouts if they weren't pushed in the other direction by the scoring system and now the top player function. If this were not true we would not have any success helping our new members improve their setup. Trouble is, that kind of guidance can't be replicated on a greater scale for players who don't read the forums (ie Logain's guide)--as evidenced by the abject failure of the large clans to train their rank and file to do anything more advanced than zerg the fight with 50 players (and then rage at vets for rushing the encounter because they think packing the instance is still necessary).
That's it right there, we have no reliable means to teach a large amount of players how things work without going insane ourselves. For me, it was different. I was already trained to min/max an encounter during my past experiences as a hardcore raider in WoW. The idea of having to deal a certain amount of damage within a time limit (when you run out of time there, the whole raid dies) wasn't new.

Dixie Cougar
04-30-2015, 02:19 PM
That's it right there, we have no reliable means to teach a large amount of players how things work without going insane ourselves. For me, it was different. I was already trained to min/max an encounter during my past experiences as a hardcore raider in WoW. The idea of having to deal a certain amount of damage within a time limit (when you run out of time there, the whole raid dies) wasn't new.

Likewise coming from a pvp shooter background with relatively long kill times (UT2k4, TF2, APB, etc) I've had to develop a knowledge of what dishes it out and what doesn't, and avoid the latter, if I want to do well.

Maybe if we could figure out what the pathology, ie the prior gaming experiences of many of these people were, it would be a bit easier to spread the knowledge. But as many have found out with the messaging in the game all pointing in the other direction it's a very steep uphill push.

Perhaps part of the problem is simply that the new player experience mostly takes place at such a low threat that any weapon can just about one-shot any trash mob. So the players don't really get a decent feel for relative weapon damage (eg, the guy that was marveling at the versatility and ammo efficiency of the volge battle rifle--who cares about dps when one shot at TL1 kills the mob?). They walk into the WM, get carried or zerged and get away with it, then go into expeditions, get curbstomped, waste their free HRs, and rage quit crying P2W.

Tex_Arcana
04-30-2015, 02:54 PM
27 Battlerifles onna wall my friends! 27 Battlerifles onna wall!
You have one drop! Sell it as slop!
28 Battlerifles onna wall! 11!1
* Based on how many OJ ones I have vendored thus far; plus my brother's (because he just started playing and is using an OJ Battlerifle because....noob...).

Azareal Farseeker
05-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Some people just refuse to listen to any sort of advice. I think we've all encountered this in RL and in just about every game we've played. Been trying to tell people that the score system mean absolutely zero (750 points - 1 Thorny Rose; 140k points - blue crap) but they just refuse to listen.

And so I do my best to screw with their heads by switching back to the piper when WM dies so if I come up top score then everyone will be thinking "Ooooo so a blast rifle is the best weapon !", cos it will show me holding that gun :P

Logain
05-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Yeah I was hoping with the release of Alacatraz and with the permanent buff of WM to TL 10 (doesn't feel like it though) that Defiance would remove the ability to zerg and make it a meaningful race again. The guide was written before certain advantages were know to exist (i.e. the Zerg and Tanking).

The reason to Zerg is much deeper and harder to change then just trying to win now. Without damage numbers there is nothing to to shoot for. Score maxes out quickly without gaming the scoring system if you are doing straight damage so there is no incentive there either. I mean you get approximately your score right be fore the crystal armor breaks. In some cases its laziness, in others its the mob mentality of well let's get everyone in so they can participate and get a shot of top loot. It's everyone gets a trophy time so let's wait so we can have more people get a participation trophy.

Yes, there is no early guidance in game about how to kill things quickly. Actually there is not a whole lot of guidance at the start of the game period. No mention of EGO levels and how it plays out with you guns and shields. No mention of nanos and their effectiveness and utility in different situations. A little bit of an introduction to stims and spikes but no mention at all about rigs and chips.

Perhaps part of the problem is simply that the new player experience mostly takes place at such a low threat that any weapon can just about one-shot any trash mob. So the players don't really get a decent feel for relative weapon damage (eg, the guy that was marveling at the versatility and ammo efficiency of the volge battle rifle--who cares about dps when one shot at TL1 kills the mob?). They walk into the WM, get carried or zerged and get away with it, then go into expeditions, get curbstomped, waste their free HRs, and rage quit crying P2W.

It is easy for a new player without access to the knowledge of a veteran or forums (remember the minority of players) to be completely lost.

Thus they enter Expeditions (near end content) get pwn'd and complain or quit.

TLDR: Defiance approach is participation not excellence + No built in guidance for new players = learn as you go inferior builds. As well as sage well written posts and advice get ignored by the majority.