PDA

View Full Version : Defiance - All You Need To Know In 3 Minutes

Salamanca
05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi there Ark Hunters.

I'm currently working on a Youtube project where I try to break down MMOs into relevant bite-sized chunks that give potential players enough information on a game they may be considering or may not have heard of. The video breaks down the story, game mechanics, character progression elements and community as well as other elements like crafting, mounts etc.

This is my video for Defiance. Please enjoy and i appreciate any constructive feedback or thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzDkHyVldA

Fallen_Aingeal
05-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Your opening caption refers to Defiance as being a first person shooter.
It's actually a 3rd person shooter.

In the economy heading you mentioned 3 things that Defiance didn't have but didn't mention what it does or what can be done.
There are currently 7 forms of currency. Scrip, Ark Salvage, Ark Forge, Hunter Requests, Caeruleum Cores, Shards, and Bits. Of these, only scrip is "tradeable". Guns, shields, stims, and mods can be sold or traded between players, unlike ssome of the other big name games right now.

In the social heading, while you're entirely correct that the chat function is terrible, to say there is "no chat" is just false.
There is text chat for a number of different "tabs" and voice chat is limited to clan, group, private, and area.

The editing was nicely done and the soundtrack was cool. Other than what I mentioned, decent if not quite a bit misleading.

*edited*

SirServed
05-06-2015, 04:41 PM
In his defense, he wouldn't know about the existence of Cyber Rigs unless he played the PTS. His video was published more than 2 weeks before Cyber Rigs went live.

Fallen_Aingeal
05-06-2015, 04:42 PM
In his defense, he wouldn't know about the existence of Cyber Rigs unless he played the PTS. His video was published more than 2 weeks before Cyber Rigs went live.

Just caught that. Will edit out of other post. Thanks Sir!

Bentu
05-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Liked but will more than likely need an update at the rate they change things in this game.

Salamanca
05-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback - especially Fallen-Aingeal - your response was thought out and thorough. You're correct about Defiance being a first person - I'll drop in a comment.

There is no economy in Defiance. Although players can buy and sell using scrip - scrip being by true definition of the word 'currency' a medium for trade - there is no estimable index for the value of a commodity or item that can be tracked or used to measure market fluctuation. The value of an item cannot be compared to the value of a similar item. The point is valid and doesn't demand explanation or alternative and neither is it damning in any way. It is what it is.

Also I didn't say there was no chat. At the time I played in the lead up to this video there was no voice chat - I joined a guild and we muddled through setting up a teamspeak server so we could communicate more effectively. The text chat is awful - I'm sorry to say but it is. I use backspace a lot to correct as I go which in Defiance pops up the channel menu which drove me nuts. It will drive other people nuts too. I get that Defiance is multi-platform and the chat faces challenges that other single platform games do not face but this will need to be reviewed at some point. The MMO crowd has one of the broadest age demographics in any industry and chat has been refined in most other mainstream titles and is the most fundamental medium used by people to interact.

Here's what I do know about Defiance though and I expressed this constantly to my guild. I am awed by the frequency of the updates in Defiance and this constant fine tuning process being applied by the developers. I hear people moaning ingame about old bugs etc - someone's already commented on the Youtube channel about Defiance crashing etc. But compared to other titles I have played I found Defiance remarkably stable. Every update brought something new, cleaned up something old and fine tuned something that already existed - no matter how big or small the adjustment may be. I've recently reviewed another game I had left a year ago and while it has more of the trappings of a true blue MMO it is still plagued by all the old bugs and has the same stability issues that eventually drove me away. Focus has gone on new DLC because that's where the new money is.

I fully expect there will be some sort of auction house at some point because a - a true MMO in my opinion demands it and b - Trion have a demonstrated history up developing their content and implementing change. For the same reason I also expect a large percentage of my content to become outdated.

And when that time comes I look forward to making another.

Mister Derpenhowser
05-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Text chat is bad because of you make spelling errors? Or you using backspace instead of delete? OR because you didn't bind that menu to a different key? They all seem to be issues on your end dude. Text chat is fine, voice chat can play up from time to time and background noise is terrible but it works. Kinda.

Fallen_Aingeal
05-06-2015, 07:39 PM
It is still misleading.

Your publish date for the vid is Feb '15. Ppl are going to assume that that is when the vid was made or that that is your assessment to date. The assessment is wrong as far as where the game stood in Feb '15. There was/is a voice chat.

Like I said earlier. All in all, it was a cool vid. All I'm saying is, I may be a bit discouraged to play after reading your "assessment", not knowing that it wasn't accurate.

Konzeptionz
05-07-2015, 12:30 PM
On the topic of text chat, I always have an issue where the game doesn't register some keys unless I type slower than normal. This is on PC for the sake of clarification.

Dixie Cougar
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
On the topic of text chat, I always have an issue where the game doesn't register some keys unless I type slower than normal. This is on PC for the sake of clarification.

That happens to me if my framerate is low (dual boxing, etc)

PithHelmetIrath
05-07-2015, 02:01 PM
I fully expect there will be some sort of auction house at some point because a - a true MMO in my opinion demands it and b - Trion have a demonstrated history up developing their content and implementing change. For the same reason I also expect a large percentage of my content to become outdated.

Don't go holding your breath.. I don't want to read about an otherwise senseless gamer death in the news.