PDA

View Full Version : Blast Rifle + Burst Mag... YES or Complete Bull-Shtak?

Daily420
05-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Few days ago, I submitted this thread "Blast Rifle" Gun Review + Mods (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?213539-quot-Blast-Rifle-quot-Gun-Review-Mods)...

Seems there's a confusion if "burst mags" actually increase Blast Rifles' DPS... Here's the answer:

nBD0UO-8OX8

NOTE: Part of me kinda wished this was not the result because I could use the extra bullets on a mag lol... but this is "what it is" as of now.

What do you think?

Psyclown
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I think that the Blast rifle got a huge (and unnessecary) buff some time ago (I can't remember which patch it was) and that it was already really fine (correctly modded) at close/mid range. Now that thing can even kill you at long range, which I find quite disturbing.

One more thing, when modded with a burst mag, the rifle shots 3 times more bullets, but your ammo pool still works like it wasn't modded with a burst mag : shoot 9 bullets, only 3 ammo are used...
And I may be wrong on that, but shooting 3 times more bullets seems to grant 3 times more proc chance for the nano effect, it's HUGE.
Another thing, if you mod it with a Damage Barrel, let's say the 1.05 greeny, the increase in damage output is then again : 3 times 5%, HUGE.

I saw the pvp people who were exclusively using the PS30 slugger, quickly switching to this Blast rifle...
The "Time To Kill" is just ridiculously short, between 0.5 and 1 seconds, (at close/mid/long range) no matter what perks/shields the opponent has. And of course, you can't really miss your target, due to the huge spray.

So, I don't feel personnally 'butt-hurt' when I get killed by this rifle at close range, which is quite expectable (it used to work this way before) but I really find this kinda 'cheap' when it gets me at + 50m range, whereas any other AR would require a real precise aim and anticipation (and crits) to kill any one at this range.

This reminds me of the 'surge bolter' hype, a while back ago, when every one was using that in pvp... We just had to wait 5-6 months before the devs wake up and fix the 'stupid' gun.

Be prepared, all of you trendy Blast rifle fan, it might just get nerfed to dust in the future...

Next episode : Disruptor gets a huge buff. People learn to mod it. More and more people starts using it. Sniping/aiming becomes useless, cause the Disruptor is more efficient/easy to use. Every one uses a Disruptor. 6 moths pass. Disruptor gets nerfed. Rince and repeat with another gun.

Dixie Cougar
05-11-2015, 11:47 AM
One more thing, when modded with a burst mag, the rifle shots 3 times more bullets, but your ammo pool still works like it wasn't modded with a burst mag : shoot 9 bullets, only 3 ammo are used...
And I may be wrong on that, but shooting 3 times more bullets seems to grant 3 times more proc chance for the nano effect, it's HUGE.

Actually it fires 3 bullets per round expended regardless of how it's modded.

http://i.imgur.com/29tuG4Y.gif

SirServed
05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
The fire rate gain from a burst mag depends on the natural fire rate of the weapon. Low fire rate weapons yield great results while high fire rate weapons yield close to none.

WhiteStrike
05-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The fire rate gain from a burst mag depends on the natural fire rate of the weapon. Low fire rate weapons yield great results while high fire rate weapons yield close to none.

This OP.However,there is no fire rate difference in the case of the Blast Rifle.Try shooting a burst blast rifle and a non-burst one,mesuring the time it takes to empty a full clip.

Tex_Arcana
05-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Why interrupt a stream of death?

WhiteStrike
05-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Ok,I came up with a theory as to why the mag has no effect on the Blast Rifle.As we all know,the burst mag does not affect natural 3-round burst weapons.What if the Blast Rifle is actually a auto-burst firing(pulse) weapon but with no interval between shots (thus the 3 rounds per shot) and the Fire Rate being actually the interval between bursts?

Daily420
05-14-2015, 11:54 AM
So, I don't feel personnally 'butt-hurt' when I get killed by this rifle at close range, which is quite expectable (it used to work this way before) but I really find this kinda 'cheap' when it gets me at + 50m range, whereas any other AR would require a real precise aim and anticipation (and crits) to kill any one at this range.

I guess those t5 fall-off barrels work huh? Been thinking which one to put on my BR, a DMG barrel or a FALL-OFF.

Next episode : Disruptor gets a huge buff. People learn to mod it. More and more people starts using it. Sniping/aiming becomes useless, cause the Disruptor is more efficient/easy to use. Every one uses a Disruptor. 6 moths pass. Disruptor gets nerfed. Rince and repeat with another gun.

We'll just have to wait for the next "flavor of the month" hehehe

Daily420
05-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Actually it fires 3 bullets per round expended regardless of how it's modded.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that "your mag CONSUMES 3 bullets" regardless if you put a burst mag (where your gun then spits 9 bullets), right?

Daily420
05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
This OP.However,there is no fire rate difference in the case of the Blast Rifle.Try shooting a burst blast rifle and a non-burst one,mesuring the time it takes to empty a full clip.

A clanmate of mine actually tested this out, here's what he got:

With a mag size of 58 & a burst mag, it takes around 3.5 seconds to spit out all ammo. (58x3)
With a mag size of 58 & no mag, it takes around 4 seconds to spit out all ammo. (58x3)

Feel free to retest though :)

Daily420
05-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Ok,I came up with a theory as to why the mag has no effect on the Blast Rifle.As we all know,the burst mag does not affect natural 3-round burst weapons.What if the Blast Rifle is actually a auto-burst firing(pulse) weapon but with no interval between shots (thus the 3 rounds per shot) and the Fire Rate being actually the interval between bursts?

You're talking about the "fire rate" specifically when you say "no effect" right? Because the main reason I use a burst mag is not actually the fire rate, but the fact that it spits 9 bullets per click of the mouse (and that for me is why burst mag works on Blast Rifles) :)

King Stud
05-14-2015, 12:56 PM
You're talking about the "fire rate" specifically when you say "no effect" right? Because the main reason I use a burst mag is not actually the fire rate, but the fact that it spits 9 bullets per click of the mouse (and that for me is why burst mag works on Blast Rifles) :)

It doesn't spit out 9 bullets, just fires faster. Hence with the burst mag you gain a boost to burst DPS, but gimp your sustained dps as the tradeoff.

Daily420
05-14-2015, 01:01 PM
It doesn't spit out 9 bullets, just fires faster. Hence with the burst mag you gain a boost to burst DPS, but gimp your sustained dps as the tradeoff.

... uhhhmmm but it shows in my test video that it does fire 9 bullets per initial click? (and then just sustains that ridiculous amount of bullets coming out)? On the other hand, I'm kinda seeing your point that "that initial" 9 bullet burst is actually fire rate increased?

King Stud
05-14-2015, 04:04 PM
... uhhhmmm but it shows in my test video that it does fire 9 bullets per initial click? (and then just sustains that ridiculous amount of bullets coming out)? On the other hand, I'm kinda seeing your point that "that initial" 9 bullet burst is actually fire rate increased?

Your video proves my point lol. With the burst mag it fires a burst of 3 rounds, with each round being split into 3 bullets. Without the burst mag it fires a single round or 3 bullets with each click.

Daily420
05-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Your video proves my point lol. With the burst mag it fires a burst of 3 rounds, with each round being split into 3 bullets. Without the burst mag it fires a single round or 3 bullets with each click.

Ohhh haha so basically, we have the same point hahaha

SUPREEM
05-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Is it true that disrupters can go full auto somehow?

Daily420
05-14-2015, 07:08 PM

I asked a few peeps, seems the answer is NO >.<

WhiteStrike
05-14-2015, 11:28 PM

Yes but the effect is actually almost non-existent in combat situations.It always fires in pulses with the Burst mag but it's hard to notice it unless you hear the sound the game makes.The inicial 3 round burst is actually only very slightly faster than the normal fire rate.I actually suggest a catalyst injector for DPS in case you use Radiation Blast Rifles.

WhiteStrike
05-14-2015, 11:30 PM

There are rumors that a Cannoneer Quickburst Pulser can go full-auto.Not sure how trustworthy these rumors are 'though.

Daily420
05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
There are rumors that a Cannoneer Quickburst Pulser can go full-auto.Not sure how trustworthy these rumors are 'though.

Just in case you get your hands on one for testing, would love to see this too. My first ever "happy moment" in PvP actually happened with me using a Final Caress (this counts right?)...

XgeXvKh5B-c

Still a lot of newbness from this video, but this particular match was the one that me say PvP could be fun :)

WhiteStrike
05-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Just in case you get your hands on one for testing, would love to see this too. My first ever "happy moment" in PvP actually happened with me using a Final Caress (this counts right?)...

XgeXvKh5B-c

Still a lot of newbness from this video, but this particular match was the one that me say PvP could be fun :)
Yes,I got one yesterday thanks to a friend.Even with 3 T4 LMG Fire Rate mods the gun is still pulse fire,sadly.

Daily420
05-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Yes,I got one yesterday thanks to a friend.Even with 3 T4 LMG Fire Rate mods the gun is still pulse fire,sadly.

Oohhhhh, that's sad... but thanks for confirming buddy

Jerrmy12
05-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Oohhhhh, that's sad... but thanks for confirming buddy

Ah.

Also, I put a burst fire mag on a br, it only fires 3, as I swapped as soon as I fire 1 bullet, it only shoots 3, not 9.
what's the difference exactly? I can go full auto still...

WhiteStrike
05-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Ah.

Also, I put a burst fire mag on a br, it only fires 3, as I swapped as soon as I fire 1 bullet, it only shoots 3, not 9.

There is no difference.

Mister Derpenhowser
05-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Full auto mags should exist, burst mags exist afterall so why not eh.

Jerrmy12
05-23-2015, 06:02 PM
There is no difference.
Then what's the point?

Daily420
05-24-2015, 06:52 AM
Ah.

nBD0UO-8OX8

There's a small portion in this video that was in slight slow motion, and I'm counting 9 bullets with the burst mag... I don't know, but am I missing something with this test?

Daily420
05-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Full auto mags should exist, burst mags exist afterall so why not eh.

I think that would make some other kinds weapons OP, but this is just my theory.

WhiteStrike
05-24-2015, 11:41 AM
nBD0UO-8OX8

There's a small portion in this video that was in slight slow motion, and I'm counting 9 bullets with the burst mag... I don't know, but am I missing something with this test?

Yes.You fire 9 bullets and waste 3 ammo.If you waste 3 ammo on a regular Blaat Rifle you also shoot 9 bullets.

Juggalo Juice
05-26-2015, 12:24 AM
I have had around 20-30 blast rifles and know for a fact it does not add dps as your mag is too small to make it worth while. but it does work on pvp on mid ego players. just don't go after a 6k with half the capacity. It don't end well.

Daily420
05-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Yes.You fire 9 bullets and waste 3 ammo.If you waste 3 ammo on a regular Blaat Rifle you also shoot 9 bullets.

I was told by a veteran that it does waste 3 ammos with burst mag, but you still spit out 9 projectiles (which is crazy advantage in my opinion)... the enemy receives all of those 9 projectiles.

Daily420
05-26-2015, 11:08 PM
I have had around 20-30 blast rifles and know for a fact it does not add dps as your mag is too small to make it worth while. but it does work on pvp on mid ego players. just don't go after a 6k with half the capacity. It don't end well.

I'm a PvP'er and I think the burst mag is useful even when hitting 6k EGO players. ZeroAccuracy actually puts burst mag on his Blast Rifle. And that is enough indication for me that burst mag for PvP is the way to go. He is a monster in PvP.

BUT for PvE - he also said that CAPACITY mag is the way to go to get that sustained DPS.

WhiteStrike
05-26-2015, 11:18 PM
I was told by a veteran that it does waste 3 ammos with burst mag, but you still spit out 9 projectiles (which is crazy advantage in my opinion)... the enemy receives all of those 9 projectiles.

The Blast rifle already fires 3 bullets per ammo wasted.

syrogen
05-26-2015, 11:26 PM
i dont get what the problem is here.

My blast rifle with a burst mag will shoot 9 bullets in about same time it would have shot 3 without.

This is a huge advantage.

And you can argue about that all you want, but the fact is that fire rate is very good for blast rifles cause you will do more damage in a shorter timespan.
Offcourse its not good for DPS who wants sustained damage in PVP anyways, what you want is as high burst as possible, then switch targets.

Get a blast rifle with magt3 roll and if you want mag mastery and its not a problem at all to support a burst mag.
I was doing just fine in pvp with my 50mag burst modded blast rifle, now i have a 73mag one and its even better.

~lett~

WhiteStrike
05-27-2015, 12:06 AM
i dont get what the problem is here.

My blast rifle with a burst mag will shoot 9 bullets in about same time it would have shot 3 without.

This is a huge advantage.

And you can argue about that all you want, but the fact is that fire rate is very good for blast rifles cause you will do more damage in a shorter timespan.
Offcourse its not good for DPS who wants sustained damage in PVP anyways, what you want is as high burst as possible, then switch targets.

Get a blast rifle with magt3 roll and if you want mag mastery and its not a problem at all to support a burst mag.
I was doing just fine in pvp with my 50mag burst modded blast rifle, now i have a 73mag one and its even better.

~lett~

I have tested the fire rate with a stop watch.It is exactlythe same.

CaptainObvious
05-27-2015, 01:42 AM
So I should put a burst mag into my rad rolling thunder flashy carbine?

Mister Derpenhowser
05-27-2015, 02:04 AM
No... its a waste of time

Daily420
05-29-2015, 07:50 PM
The Blast rifle already fires 3 bullets per ammo wasted.

Yes, but with a BR the "projectiles" become 9.

Daily420
05-29-2015, 07:52 PM
I have tested the fire rate with a stop watch.It is exactlythe same.

Thanks for giving it a test buddy. Though, I think the best way to measure is not by stopwatch but with a recording software where you can mark the "start and finish" (of firing and losing bullets) precisely by mili seconds. I think it'd be really hard for using a manual stopwatch for this purpose >.<

Daily420
05-29-2015, 07:53 PM
So I should put a burst mag into my rad rolling thunder flashy carbine?

I'm not really sure where carbine fits in here lol

If you can kill faster with it at PvP, I'd use one though.

ARSO
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
the burst mag only fires according to fire rate. i myself put a burst mag on a blast rifle i felt it was the same result without it since it is an automatic assault rifle

Daily420
06-06-2015, 02:02 AM
Hope some hardcore PvP'ers and PvE'ers could also pitch in.