PDA

View Full Version : New Player: How Co-op friendly is the game?

sevoj
05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Hello all,

So my wife and I are interested in trying out Defiance and think it would be up our alley (Shooter RPG). We are wondering how much of the game we will have to play on our own or be able to play together in a group.

Some Background: We enjoy games like Halo and probably would have enjoyed Borderlands had it not been for the dark humor. We tried to play Warframe but found it too grindy and repetitive since you have to repeat the same missions over and over again without much change in the map or enemies. We also played and enjoyed Vindictus and enjoyed that for a while but again the repetitive missions got to us.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention that we are looking at PC games.

I look forward to your feedback!

Fawks
05-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Hello all,

So my wife and I are interested in trying out Defiance and think it would be up our alley (Shooter RPG). We are wondering how much of the game we will have to play on our own or be able to play together in a group.

Some Background: We enjoy games like Halo and probably would have enjoyed Borderlands had it not been for the dark humor. We tried to play Warframe but found it too grindy and repetitive since you have to repeat the same missions over and over again without much change in the map or enemies. We also played and enjoyed Vindictus and enjoyed that for a while but again the repetitive missions got to us.

You can do almost most of it alone. I was in a clan (not my current one) that was never on, when the leaders were on the automatically would send out invites for clannies to help them not the other way around though. I pretty much made it from ego 1500ish to 4725 solo

Kyrinthic
05-21-2015, 09:23 AM
As a newer player, here is what I have seen.

The game works just fine co-op. Enemies account for extra players, and have about double health when playing with a second player, so it wont trivialize any content in that regard. Instances are doable with two players as well, and quite fun in that regard. Overall the difficulty of the game is not terribly high, though there are some enemies that are harder than others.

If the two players have a disparity of skill, one will gain ego faster, and it will become noticeable. The game does a fair job of letting you play together just fine with different egos though, but you wont be able to trade gear too easily. A minor quibble, and if you are both competitive players, it probably wont matter.

Overall the storylines are good and fun, the missions are varied enough, though nothing amazingly off the path of 'go here and shoot X things or click on object Y.

You will get to a point when you have run all the missions where you are not at the level cap, and there will be some grinding, but its not bad. Until you reach the 'soft cap'. then you need to do pursuits to progress. I haven't gotten to this point, but I have heard it can be pretty grinding because its things like 'kill 50,000 enemies with a single shot sniper rifle' or 'ride each kind of vehicle for X hours'. I happen to play with a sniper rifle, but I could see it taking a while to get there otherwise.

Overall, my experience playing with my wife has been favorable. On the other hand, we really liked borderlands as well, I'm fond of the humor :)

EvilAg3nt
05-21-2015, 09:33 AM
didnt see what system you are on @ Op
but,best bet is to find a clan to join,so you can get the benefits of that right away.
the game is very addictive,but be warned you will experience lots of bugs and glitches.

youll also quickly realize that the game owners focus is on making money,
as all the Good stuff youll need costs real money thru the Defiance store.
extra Inventory slots,extra key slots,etc etc.
as you say its you And your wife,be prepared to spend Twice the lootage.
is it worth it?
....yes..and no.....and yes...lol!

great game,if they ever fix the problems it would be fantastic.
im also a former borderlands players,along with halo n destiny.
this game is below bl for humour,but above it for thrills.
hope any of this helps,Cheers.

CM Kiwibird
05-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi there, welcome to Defiance! I'd definitely recommend finding a clan. I have more fun with more people, personally!

I just wanted to pop in and drop a link to Defiance Data (http://www.defiancedata.com/). They're a great resource for new and returning players. :o

stefb42
05-21-2015, 11:03 AM
There's a whole lot I'd like to say (again) about how coop friendly this game is....

sevoj
05-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies!
I guess my wife and I will try the game and see what we think. I am pretty sure she would just be happy to shoot things up regardless.

didnt see what system you are on @ Op
Sorry I guess I forgot to mention we are looking for a PC game.

EvilAg3nt
05-21-2015, 12:13 PM
tis all good,Welcome to Defiance.
when you get the game,on pc,look around for a clan called Cronus.
they are top notch and will help you out in many ways,plus their Videos on youtube should be watched as well.
they will teach you a Lot. :)

also,im willing to bet Real money you and the wife will be Hooked as soon as you encounter your first Hellbug Event.
( think starship troopers )

Holy Bahamut3
05-21-2015, 12:29 PM
they are top notch and will help you out in many ways,plus their Videos on youtube should be watched as well.

also,im willing to bet Real money you and the wife will be Hooked as soon as you encounter your first Hellbug Event.

Thanks for the praise Ag3nt. :-)

To answer the OP this game is very Co-Op friendly. You can do everything, or almost everything in a group.

Cronus is indeed a very active and informative clan to be in. Contact me in game for an invite. Character stats at in Sig.

Dixie Cougar
05-21-2015, 01:21 PM
My wife and I have played this together and led a clan (she was the one who got me into this game) for almost 2 years now so we have experienced all the ins and outs of "RL coop." The game is mostly accommodating when it comes to playing together.

Monster scaling is flawed but if you are both a similar level you shouldn't notice any serious issues. At worst mobs will become bullet sponges, but if you're good at shooters (and it sounds like you have experience) it won't be a huge issue.
There are a few annoying missions where you have to solo short instances, but some were changed and those that remain are trivial--more irritating on principle.
Another useful feature is the ability to teleport to your group leader or anyone on your friend/clan lists instantly.
Everyone gets their own loot, while for the most part items are tradable (definitely key for coop play) and it's cheap to adjust their level (wasn't always this way)--best of both worlds. There have been a few nasty exceptions but at this point it isn't anything that would affect you seriously.

As far as recruiting goes--I'll let the Amway reps do their thing.

Cobra Crusher
05-21-2015, 04:30 PM

But dont think Starship Troopers 2 or 3 because they were awful!

Kyrinthic
05-22-2015, 01:35 PM
another quick point, poking around gamestop for a buck will often find you a copy of of the game on discount, depending on your area, they may not be available, but if so, its the best dollar you will ever spend on a game. You can check their website to find if there is one available near you.

irisawifi
05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Hello all,

Hi! Welcome to Defiance:)

I find the game the most fun when I play with friends. Sometimes I feel anti-social and play alone just to grind out pursuits, but that gets old quickly. Much rather play with others:) Finding a supportive clan is also important.

Hope you enjoy the game together and maybe we'll bump into each other:D
Look forward to hearing what you think of the game as well.