PDA

View Full Version : What Dlc has the best melee weapons

Zaikutton
06-02-2015, 01:32 PM
i was wondering before i buy the dlc and the one i buy the meleee weapons suck compared to others

SirServed
06-02-2015, 03:06 PM
With the exception of the Carving Knife (New Frontier Harvest) and Primary Function (PAX) Charge Blades, they're all the same. The only difference between the DLC blades is their name, the way they look, and how you acquire them.

Dixie Cougar
06-02-2015, 03:29 PM
There's the 7th legion unity synergy. But in the end, it doesn't matter; they all suck.

David Irwin
06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
melee weapons are more of a gimmick than something very useful. Fun to try.. but since there is no weapon mastery , or weapon skill, and pretty much just one attack , they get played out pretty fast.

Tex_Arcana
06-02-2015, 03:59 PM
They be great for wall/ground-hacking glitched mobs.
As far as any other use they have ingame: bringing a Sword to a gunfight is simply goofy.

Nefarious
06-02-2015, 04:37 PM
How are ppl saying Swords are not useful?

I can do work with melee swords. Granted Im 6k and everything that comes with it but Swords are indeed quite powerful for what they are worth. Of course you can compare swords to the top end OPed guns in the game and look at them as being lack luster, then again everything looks lack luster compared to the best guns. If you take the balanced guns and match them up to the sword though the sword matches up well if not better in certain scenarios.

GahdolfMiLahwn
06-02-2015, 07:13 PM
How are ppl saying Swords are not useful?

I can do work with melee swords. Granted Im 6k and everything that comes with it but Swords are indeed quite powerful for what they are worth. Of course you can compare swords to the top end OPed guns in the game and look at them as being lack luster, then again everything looks lack luster compared to the best guns. If you take the balanced guns and match them up to the sword though the sword matches up well if not better in certain scenarios.

I'm just under 4K and pretty much a sword-and-pistol addict. Works ok for everything but Volge > tl3, in which case it just becomes pistol. Great for clearing out annoying adds in boss fights without wasting ammo. Great for the major arkfalls, and the gulanee arkbreak. Gotta do something different in the volge arkbreaks and for the warmaster.

You really have to perk it out right, and hope nobody is "helping" you by BMGing/detonatoring/crimfightering right on top of you. (All your survivability perks trigger on melee kill, not just kill - I don't get my shield recovery, partial heal and +4 armor plates if you blow up the mob i was slicing up) Situational awareness, a fast shield and the willingness to bug out when needed are key.

To answer your question:

Easiest swords to get: 7th legion. they drop from incursions, and can be bought directly from the vendor relatively cheaply (~2-3 weeks of contracts) Nice look, tops out at purple (no rarity upgrades) unless really lucky, good synergy with the 7th legion detonator, for those who like to soften up huge herds then cut them up one by one. (hello afflicted....) Supposedly there are OJ ones out there, but I haven't bought enough boxes to see one.

Best source of continuous strong swords: Thorn Liro. hope you like arenas - you need to get gold in 30 of them to get an oj sword at your leve directly from the vendor (not in a box, praise RNGsus)

Gives one sword: Arktech revolutionary. One is a reward for a pursuit that involves killing a dozen or so of each top-tier miniboss. Don't recommend you get that DLC until you are level 5K since there is pretty much nothing you get out of it until then ( all the vendor items are level 5K, and you can't earn rep until 5K). I'm still a half-dozen Goldrushers and Tankers from getting that sword.

Mister Derpenhowser
06-02-2015, 07:23 PM
They are a short lived gimmick at best imo.

Cobra Crusher
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
I have a carving knife. When i use it i look like a ninja but to others i look like a dog in heat.

MagnusRune Daltus
06-04-2015, 02:12 AM
i dont agree they are useless, i did a siege yesterday. i joined in at round 4, and it ended just as we got to 9. i used my sword for the whole thing, and came 3rd overall. (was the one at north point mine vs volge)

and before that i did a mount tam incursion and came 1st by 10k points. and i wasnt the only 6k player from the start.

the problem is the loadout people use. you want the highest capacity shield you can get, forget the recharge delay, you are up close and being shot non-stop it wont be able to recharge. and with one of the perks below, you wil have 7 abaltive armor most of the time.

Use Blur with the sword not overcharge as some always say in game. use power stim, and damage spike. then use the right perks. In this thread ( http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?203352-When-all-else-fails-you-your-blade-won-t&highlight=sword ) we worked out the best set is pretty much as follows

Blur - EGO Power that boosts your movement speed by 50%. While active, your melee attacks deal full damage against shields.

Quickening - +12% EGO Power recharge on Melee kill
Intimidation - You deal more damage to enemies that are flinching, knocked back, or knocked down from other attacks
Juggernaut - +4 plates of ablative armor on melee kill
Hyperactive - +45% speed for 5 sec on Melee kill
Second Wind - Reduce the recharge time of BLUR by 12 seconds
Sonic Strike - +60% Melee DMG while Blur is Active
Follow-through - +75% Melee DMG after a crit kill (most melee kills count as crit as well)
Endurance Runner - +6 seconds of Blur
Killing Spree - +6% duration of active power on any kill

so on a melee kill i get 12% ego recharged, 4 plates of armor, 45% speed boost, 6% longer blur time, and if the melee kill also hit a crit spot my next hit with the word will do an extra 75% damage on top of the 60% extra from having blur on.

EDIT

and to answer OP's question. 7th legion does have the unity perk which is nice... BUT the chance of an Orange 7th legion sword is so low. but the Castivan has one you can buy for 750 rep. which you can get in 2 weeks ish.

SirServed
06-04-2015, 02:36 AM
It's a numbers thing and Charge Blades don't produce favorable results compared to shooting a target. Also, any weapon can appear to be useful depending on the company you keep. When several people use less optimal DPS weapons to kill targets, they generate the maximum teamwork payout every time. When you kill a target quickly and alone, you get paid less but the threat has been taken care of. Score does not equal skill.

dremora ven0m
06-04-2015, 04:35 AM
I used a carving knife during hulker hell majors a few times & it was fun & something different to do. I pretty much had a loadout of perks like what Magnus has written about earlier.
tbh tho i havent used it since, now & again I wil use it for daily conflict site to change things around abit, but it soon grows boring when TL jumps to 10

EvilAg3nt
06-04-2015, 06:41 AM
if you build it right w the perks n all,you can almost never be put down.
your shield comes back instantly,along w the other advantages.
ive used this a couple of times doing missions and its just crazy how op it is.

WhiteStrike
06-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Swords have no place in high DPS situations(Expeditions,Warmaster,TL10...).

MagnusRune Daltus
06-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Swords have no place in high DPS situations(Expeditions,Warmaster,TL10...).

in things with a fail state. yes you are correct.

but at a siege, or incursion... you could use the defualt pistol and still win the event.

Tex_Arcana
06-04-2015, 04:29 PM
in things with a fail state. yes you are correct.

but at a siege, or incursion... you could use the defualt pistol and still win the event.
Ya, maybe some rare times a pistol would get top score.
But you aren't going to get 15 AF from a Kenn Farm Siege using one.
Or 8 plus AF from Volge siege for that matter
I guarantee that.

MagnusRune Daltus
06-05-2015, 01:48 AM
sometimes its the fun not the grind i play for.

i need no AF, everything i want OJ 6k.. is. i need no mods.

all i lack is a cyber rig, past the one the free starter pack gave you. (ive done 2 expeditions.... spending 6 hours grinidng for little to no reward is not my idea of fun)