PDA

View Full Version : anyone think thsi will have expansion packs?

DuoMaxwell007
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
what retail MMO doesnt have expansions? think this will have em? and before ppl say DLC.. well when i thin kDLC i think small stuff (like new quests or raids etc etc) added through an update.. by expansions i mean full blow new area (and maybe feature) having expansions that youd probably have to pay 20-30 bucks for like most MMO expansions?

DJTrig
02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I hope so.I was thinking we may get access to defiance when the season ends and get to mingle with the stars,do quests for them and stuff.Then they could just close access with some storyline that requires us to ship out while the next season kicks off.They could also do other cities/towns with cool landmarks to give us new areas to roam.

And i agree,i think most of the DLC will be story/show related instances and quests.

Jamesdanex
02-12-2013, 11:10 PM
what retail MMO doesnt have expansions? think this will have em? and before ppl say DLC.. well when i thin kDLC i think small stuff (like new quests or raids etc etc) added through an update.. by expansions i mean full blow new area (and maybe feature) having expansions that youd probably have to pay 20-30 bucks for like most MMO expansions?
If you look at it as World of warcraft (just as an example) during an expansion, they add many different raids/features/pvp aspects, and other things (which this could be seen as our "dlc season") for a new expansion, they tried to add big features, and new places that the new story would focus on, as well as increase the level cap, add new races and such. In which case if Defiance follows that, im going to be pretty damn excited.

Skysz
02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
I think it will have DLC's for the content,
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?2183-Gamestop-Ultimate-Edition-Does-Include-DLC-Season-Pass I currently pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition for the DLC Pass being one of the reasons..

But either way I cant wait for Defiance to be launched!!!

Dead_Phoenix
02-13-2013, 01:21 AM

yea to many people confused DLC and Expansions as the same thing, techincally an expansion is DLC, but dlc is not expansion.

yea ofc it will. the only question to my mind is how much and how oftern? if its like 10 every 3 or 4 months ill happly live with it, if its 20 a month then ill have to raise some serious questions.

they do keep staying there going to add a ton of content as the game goes on, i just hope its either cheap, free or irregular enough to warrent the expense

greenmonster714
02-13-2013, 03:18 AM
I would like to see dlc/expansion packs come out that not only add the small stuff but give you the ability to span the globe. I'd like to see the ability to travel to not just other major cities in the United State but also abroad. Europe, Asia, USSR, Africa and so on. DLC/expansion packs like that could be endless.

Fiancee
02-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Im sure, as they did in Rift.. but first thing first this game needs to sell, 118k FB followers is a good start but man I'd love to see at least 5 time more than that.

But yeah, you guys seems to forget this is MMO game, they patch, add content, nerfs, balancing etc. All there.

Primus Palus
02-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Think? I know it will. So long as the game stays afloat. The devs have already said they'll be having expansions.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 06:21 AM
yea to many people confused DLC and Expansions as the same thing, techincally an expansion is DLC, but dlc is not expansion.

yea ofc it will. the only question to my mind is how much and how oftern? if its like 10 every 3 or 4 months ill happly live with it, if its 20 a month then ill have to raise some serious questions.

they do keep staying there going to add a ton of content as the game goes on, i just hope its either cheap, free or irregular enough to warrent the expense

actually expansions are usually MUCH better than DLC (so big they get their own disc usually) and are released yerly.. whereas dlc/updates can come every 3 months and arent half as big (in size of scope) as an expansion

seventhaxis
02-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Just take a look at Trion's own history, consistently pushing amazing content out for Rift over even the first few months. There either isn't much information or a deep amount of information for certain aspects of Defiance yet, but I trust Trion to take care of us.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Just take a look at Trion's own history, consistently pushing amazing content out for Rift over even the first few months. There either isn't much information or a deep amount of information for certain aspects of Defiance yet, but I trust Trion to take care of us.

the question however is was Rift's content pushed out over DLC or did they actually have full blown disc based expansions?

Also kepe in mind they keep making it clear that Defiance is a "Shooter first and an MMO second" which to me means we cant use any of Trions other games as a reference of how well Defiance wil be treated/handled.. i.e just because it showed up in Rift eventually doesnt mean We'll se it in Defiance someday (player housing for example) as stuff like that are staples of MMOs not shooters and Shooter aspects take priority in Defiance soooo..... yeah. My expectations are set quite low

seventhaxis
02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
the question however is was Rift's content pushed out over DLC or did they actually have full blown disc based expansions?

Also kepe in mind they keep making it clear that Defiance is a "Shooter first and an MMO second" which to me means we cant use any of Trions other games as a reference of how well Defiance wil be treated/handled.. i.e just because it showed up in Rift eventually doesnt mean We'll se it in Defiance someday (player housing for example) as stuff like that are staples of MMOs not shooters and Shooter aspects take priority in Defiance soooo..... yeah. My expectations are set quite low

Trion pushed Rift content out for free during the first nine months or so. This included additional end-game raids, quality updates to classes and abilities, along with great events that would regularly last around a month or longer. I left shortly after Hammerknell was released (1/10), but I get your point about it being a different genre. Still, I think Trion has set an internal and general precedent for caring and polishing their game, adding substantial updates and content quickly and even for free.

I don't really know what my exact expectations are, but I'm optimistic about the game simply because Trion is behind it.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
well i notice you mentioned free content.. well if the free content is that "good" then what about the paid content? I mean we did by a season pass for defiance after all lol.. unless of course Rift isnt F2P in which case youre technically paying for all the free content every month lol

seventhaxis
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
well i notice you mentioned free content.. well if the free content is that "good" then what about the paid content? I mean we did by a season pass for defiance after all lol.. unless of course Rift isnt F2P in which case youre technically paying for all the free content every month lol

Rift is subscription based still, as far as I know, but has had at least one update requiring a separate payment. You are correct that the "free" content wasn't really free due to the sub but its great content overall. Ultimately I'm saying I trust that Trion has great content on the horizon. Whether it's paid or not is yet to be seen, but should be quality nonetheless.

SeroRamai
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
The question is not "Do you think it will?", the question is, "Do you BELIEVE it will?" in which case yes. Because magical ponys.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Rift is subscription based still, as far as I know, but has had at least one update requiring a separate payment. You are correct that the "free" content wasn't really free due to the sub but its great content overall. Ultimately I'm saying I trust that Trion has great content on the horizon. Whether it's paid or not is yet to be seen, but should be quality nonetheless.

of course the free content was great.. because youre paying monthly and they wanna keep you playing... thus they have to go above and beyond the call to keep its costumers.. like they say "you get what you pay for" so if Defiance was Sub based Id expect the same quality too, however non sub based MMOs tend to be quite a letdown

seventhaxis
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
of course the free content was great.. because youre paying monthly and they wanna keep you playing... thus they have to go above and beyond the call to keep its costumers.. like they say "you get what you pay for" so if Defiance was Sub based Id expect the same quality too, however non sub based MMOs tend to be quite a letdown

That's not always the case. Many sub-based MMOs have turned to crap despite releasing lots of content. The *quality* of Trion's content is what I'm confident in.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
That's not always the case. Many sub-based MMOs have turned to crap despite releasing lots of content. The *quality* of Trion's content is what I'm confident in.

well even if that were true I have yet to play a F2P mmo that was good.. so "turned TO crap" is still better than "WAS ALWAYS crap" but hopefully this is the game that changes that

Warhead
02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
actually expansions are usually MUCH better than DLC (so big they get their own disc usually) and are released yerly.. whereas dlc/updates can come every 3 months and arent half as big (in size of scope) as an expansion

I think you may be using an outdated paradigm. Take a non MMO game like Borderlands 2. It has DLC costumes, but it also has a season pass with DLC expansion packs. The packs don't have their own discs, but contain 6-10 hours of gameplay. Six to 10 hours is as long as some stand alone games. Or Skyrim. Same deal. The line between "DLC" and "expansion pack" has blurred. Just like most people would not consider Defiance a "downloadable game," even though a downloadable version will be available.

DuoMaxwell007
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I think you may be using an outdated paradigm. Take a non MMO game like Borderlands 2. It has DLC costumes, but it also has a season pass with DLC expansion packs. The packs don't have their own discs, but contain 6-10 hours of gameplay. Six to 10 hours is as long as some stand alone games. Or Skyrim. Same deal. The line between "DLC" and "expansion pack" has blurred. Just like most people would not consider Defiance a "downloadable game," even though a downloadable version will be available.

well the difference is those 6-10 hours probably take place on a same map using the same enemy models so it snot that big in size and if it IS a new map.. borderlands isnt an MMO so its map isnt so huge..

.. now imagine having t download a file thats has a map the size of a US state and the entire population (on monster) to go with it? thats gotta be too much to dl or wait on lol.. for example WoW burning crusade.. how big is that disc (in GBs?)

and speaking of Outdated Paradigm doesnt EVE,m WoW and Rift still use the term "expansion packs"? Are those games no longer relevant this gen despite still seeing new content for them even today?

I havent gamed on a PC since the 90s but Im sure even they still have disc based expansion packs for most of its first person shooters

Letus
02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Trion's Rift did do a large purchase a new disk expansion recently, in addition to the nearly continuous downloadable new content/fixes.
I cannot imagine that with a WHOLE world to work from that we will not see expansions to Defiance, never mind that Trion has (somewhere or other) already mentioned the existence of another alien race that got lost on the way to Earth, and that said race will eventually show up.
So yeah I expect to see plenty of quality expansion of one sort or anther here.