PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Platform Play & Kotaku

gftgy
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I found an interesting article by Kotaku detailing how while currently in development, Defiance players on separate platforms are connected together in game. The article also goes into details about the cooperation required by the networks to be able to pull it off in a finished package.
The article can be read here: http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

It doesn't seem like Microsoft would be willing to compromise, though I would still highly encourage the folks at Trion to see if they can get Microsoft to come to the table. However, even with the gaming consoles not playing together, that doesn't rule out either console playing with computer players. If any of the kind folks at Trion could give us an update on whether it has any plans for cross-platform play, I would love to hear about it. It would be a joy to be able to play on my PS3 with players on different platforms.

Colts87
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I found an interesting article by Kotaku detailing how while currently in development, Defiance players on separate platforms are connected together in game. The article also goes into details about the cooperation required by the networks to be able to pull it off in a finished package.
The article can be read here: http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

It doesn't seem like Microsoft would be willing to compromise, though I would still highly encourage the folks at Trion to see if they can get Microsoft to come to the table. However, even with the gaming consoles not playing together, that doesn't rule out either console playing with computer players. If any of the kind folks at Trion could give us an update on whether it has any plans for cross-platform play, I would love to hear about it. It would be a joy to be able to play on my PS3 with players on different platforms.

This would be amazing if it happens. I'm currently in the Dust 514 Beta and they just linked Eve and Dust together on one server. So it is possible.

gftgy
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
It's definitely possible from a technical standpoint, provided that the developers can be bothered to add in that support. The primary limiting factor is politics, which is why I'm very interested in hearing Trion's take on this.

Colts87
08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Agreed. I hope Trion will let us know if they are moving in that direction. If they do, I hope Microsoft opens their platform a bit to let their player base enjoy the fullness this game will offer.

gftgy
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM
The following excerpt is taken from an interview with Rob Hill confirms that Defiance is capable of cross-platform play from both a technical standpoint and, more importantly, from the team's development standpoint. It also confirms the previous report that not all three platforms will be playable simultaneously, but doesn't specifically rule out console-PC play.

"Unlike many other game development projects, Defiance’s development currently runs with 3 builds at the same time each with the same content. All the game resources are created for the 3 platforms simultaneously which is what enables Defiance to launch on 3 platforms instead of “porting” it at a later stage of development. All three builds (PC / XBOX360 and PS3) are currently playable and technically they can even play on the same server. But due to platform supplier restrictions the title won’t launch this way."

Mindfix
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
There are multiple threads on this same topic, microsoft has stated something along the lines that they are not willing to cross platform because they will be unable to ensure your gaming experience or something like that and normally when microsoft takes a stand on something that's it right there. I would love to see it crossplatform, then i could play with a few of the people i know who own just a ps3 or will be going PC but sadly enough that won't be happening.

Tidonius
01-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow, they must have an insane amount of programmers.