PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into Defiance?

IrisaLover
07-08-2015, 04:31 AM
I wanted to play the game because I burned though all two seasons and five episodes (as of this date) of the TV series in the span of about 3 days. It has been one of the most awe-inspiring and emotionally intense, if confusing, TV experiences of my life.

I was introduced to the TV series by an ad at the end of an episode of Continuum.

I got into Continuum because it was suggested for me on Netflix. That's also how I got into Lost Girl.

How did you get into Defiance?

Escyos
07-08-2015, 04:45 AM
A mention of a video game/tv crossover on the Gateworld Forums in early 2012. Took a note of a new scifi television show and didn't hear much until a few months later. Loved EVERYTHING I heard, so I started the Defiance Wiki and spent every day scouring the internet for any mention of Defiance.

And I'm still here three years later and not going anywhere. :D

Deadeye Joe
07-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Played the beta, enjoyed it enough to preorder on ps3. It just got worse from there really... More fool me I guess. Still enjoy the forum though, more interesting than Facebook during my teabreaks anyway...

PithHelmetIrath
07-08-2015, 05:05 AM

Season one, episode one. The rest is history.

Sliverbaer
07-08-2015, 05:20 AM

I follow Julie Benz on Twitter. @JulieBenz (https://twitter.com/juliebenz). (Because she was in Buffy and Angel of the Whedonverse.)

She was tweeting about a new project she was filming for with SyFy and had a video game element. Well, I like SciFi, Julie Benz, and video games. So I joined beta and pre-ordered a couple copies on PS3, later switching to PC.

crazyged
07-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Stumbled across an early gameplay vid and tracked the game down...

...I'm in therapy now...

Deadeye Joe
07-08-2015, 05:28 AM
...I'm in therapy now...

Big shout out for defiance anonymous

hi my names joe, and I am a defiance player...

Logain
07-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Saw an ad that featured Imagine Dragons - Radioactive in early 2013 (the song would blow up a little later and probably became outside of Syfy and Trion's budget). Said Watch the Show Play the game. I was intrigued on the spot and enjoy both for what they are.

Keep coming back to both because of the community interactions.

Fuzzy
07-08-2015, 06:38 AM
It was late in the year 2012 I think (Around November). I was translating subtitles for TV Shows from English to German. I heard about the show Defiance and not soon after found out it was connected to a game. Looked at everything related to the game, signed up for beta, loved it, pre-ordered and the rest is history:D

V I N
07-08-2015, 06:47 AM
I first heard about Defiance when the game was in its early stages, but I was already into other games, so I had little time to get into anything else. I had also started studying at university, so you can guess I didn't really have that much time to follow multiple videogames at once.

Now I find myself almost at the end of a degree course and heavily burned out in those games I was so avid about, so I decided to try other games. Defiance was one of them, and the fact that it became a Free To Play further fueled my curiosity.

Now, while I'm not totally hooked on it, I still enjoy playing it a lot. Let's digress over the fact that I devoured the main mission course in roughly one week.

Sevrin
07-08-2015, 06:53 AM
The only other MMO I have ever played (ever played and liked, that is) was Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa. But they shut those servers down after a year or so. I read somewhere about someone saying Defiance -- which was in beta at the time -- was the closest thing yet to TR. So I checked it out. And here I still am.

Nefarious
07-08-2015, 07:00 AM
I was watching an season 2 Episode of The Walking Dead when this commercial was advertised on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbm2dFWmL0

And I was all like...
http://i.imgur.com/6fqZgyc.gif

mark08859
07-08-2015, 07:12 AM
Just like a lot of folks, I heard about it through advertising while watching the Defiance show. Since I liked the show, I checked out the game reviews. At that time you had to buy the game. I deferred as the reviews were pretty bad (due to many problems that still exist today). When it became FTP I downloaded the PS3 version. Still don't know if that was wise. :confused: As with many others, I can't stand the amateur code work, but like the basic premise of the game.

clay marrow
07-08-2015, 07:45 AM
I was watching an season 2 Episode of The Walking Dead when this commercial was advertised on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbm2dFWmL0

And I was all like...
http://i.imgur.com/6fqZgyc.gif me too, also just starting therepy

Belle Starr
07-08-2015, 08:38 AM
I love science fiction and fantasy, so watched the first season of the Defiance TV show and enjoyed it immensely! I also was really enjoying a single player game set in a post apocalyptic world, Fallout: New Vegas, at the same time, but had never really played an online game before (guess I was wary of them for reasons that escape me now)! Anyway, I heard about this crossover video game with the TV series, and mentioned in passing to my family that the whole idea intrigued me! Abracadabra, my kids got it for me as a birthday present, and the rest, as they say is history! I play it almost every day, so I guess u can say I'm addicted - and still having FUN! :D

http://i.imgur.com/QOrrJg2.jpg

Hexthat
07-08-2015, 08:47 AM
I wanted to play the game because I burned though all two seasons and five episodes (as of this date) of the TV series in the span of about 3 days. It has been one of the most awe-inspiring and emotionally intense, if confusing, TV experiences of my life.

I was introduced to the TV series by an ad at the end of an episode of Continuum.

I got into Continuum because it was suggested for me on Netflix. That's also how I got into Lost Girl.

I've been watching show since first episode premiered.

I started playing the game after being unjustly temporally banned from RuneScape. I needed a new MMORPG and seen enough ads on the TV show. I started playing Defiance around the end of New Frontier Harvest event. Once Solstice Strike came around I was loving Defiance, told myself I could see myself playing this game for over a year straight. Stuff others complain about don't bother me much, but I get annoyed from time to time having to reset my Xbox cause its frozen.

tAsHiNkA
07-08-2015, 08:49 AM
watched the pilot with my daughter & we both really like the series; if not for the show I probably would not have played the game

Gaige12
07-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I was bored and roaming around Steam.

RobtimusMaverick
07-08-2015, 09:17 AM
I knew about the game back in 2013 but I was playing COD and Halo mostly. It wasn't until catching the show late last year that I got interested in the game. I binge watched the show and got into the game and I instantly I was enamored with playing; as soon as I did I felt left out, like I had missed out on a great game. So, because of my collector vein I decided to buy the game, even though it went free-to-play.

IrisaLover
07-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I was bored and roaming around Steam.

This game is on STEAM?

Does that mean it's available for Linux? 'cuz Steam has been ported to Linux and all.

EDIT: oh sure, NOW this thread stops giving me errors. Let's see if it accepts my copypasta...

Played the beta, enjoyed it enough to preorder on ps3.

Yeah but how'd you hear about the beta?

Season one, episode one. The rest is history.

So you were channel-surfing and accidentally stumbled upon the pilot episode, or what?

I follow Julie Benz on Twitter. @JulieBenz. (Because she was in Buffy and Angel of the Whedonverse.)

I've seen every episode of both of those shows and I still didn't have the foggiest recollection of Darla even after visiting her wikipedia page. Why did she stand out so much to you?

Saw an ad that featured Imagine Dragons - Radioactive in early 2013 (the song would blow up a little later and probably became outside of Syfy and Trion's budget).

Haha. The 100 managed to snatch up the rights to that song. It's more appropriate, really, seeing as how Earth in The 100 is actually radioactive as hell whereas Earth in Defiance was just messed up because of Votan terraforming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgzOyERmawM

EDIT 2: Once More With Feeling

Just like a lot of folks, I heard about it through advertising while watching the Defiance show.

I love science fiction and fantasy, so watched the first season of the Defiance TV show

I've been watching show since first episode premiered.

watched the pilot

Yeah but how'd you all hear about the show?

PithHelmetIrath
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
So you were channel-surfing and accidentally stumbled upon the pilot episode, or what?

Yeah.. pretty much. Perhaps there was a Defiance commercial that I watched while watching something else, I can't remember exactly..

TheStigsCousin
07-08-2015, 02:19 PM
How did I get to Defiance? I took the land coach like everyone else :P

Quark02
07-08-2015, 03:22 PM
I think it was a post on io9, Neatorama or some other 'blog' I follow mentioning the new and upcoming Defiance watch-the-show-play-the-game combo. When the series came out, I started watching. I liked it. At the end of season 2 I noticed Defiance F2P on Steam (I tend not to buy games unless I know I'll like them, which is made more difficult by my unwillingness to pirate and there being no demos anymore). Tried it out, didn't play much but left it installed. Came back for the third season, now I have a whopping 105 hours of game time on it (EGO just passed 1500).

Defiance I believe is not ported to Linux (Steam says requirements: Windows XP). And Steam cannot update Defiance, it has to go through the launcher. Which kind of beats the point of it being on Steam.

Atticus Batman
07-08-2015, 03:53 PM
I read the Game informer preview article of it and a few articles since, then a Xbox live friend mentioned he had a copy of it reserved. So I did a little research and almost month later found outabout the Beta so I joined the beta and this at about the same time. Then after the first hour of playing I went and reserved the 100$ (collector's edition) and here I still am. Sure I play other games but always come back to Defiance even if just a couple of hours a week.

Here's one of them, and the one that made me look into and join the forum and final betas.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/25/defiance-interview-rob-hill.aspx?PostPageIndex=1 (It's 6 pages long. Enjoy.)

Hexthat
07-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah but how'd you all hear about the show?

I watch syfy channel often, I miss Stargate shows.:(

Jaydogg
07-08-2015, 05:12 PM
While playing guardians of middle earth some random teammates were giddy talking about defiance comes out in two weeks omg. Figured I'd check it out, to this day never seen em in defiance! Lol

Sea_Jay
07-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Had $10 bucks & DEFIANCE the game was in the clearance bin for $2.97. Tried it & found out about the TV show afterwards.
Got Season 1 on Google Play, season 2 on BluRay from BestBuy because 1080p BluRay looks great!
Finally bought Season 3 on Amazon because usually Amazon encodings look the best, and I didn't want to wait a year for the BluRay discs!

I like how Season 3 is going: new alien race, new challenges, more crossover with the game.
Still years worth of story there & I'm looking forward to buying the paperback copy of AMAZING Goddess of the Badlands !
(iTunes does have an advantage over AMAZON with the ability to download your episodes instead of streaming, because some days Internet lag is bad & streaming just don't work.)

The Game has become very, very boring - killing the same hellbugs over & over is a waste of time. Needs its own episodes & story lines, that are related to the TV Show! More new Competitive Maps - got tired of the same maps over & over. Add a new land mass & shadow wars zones. Alcatraz is just a shopping mall - AT LEAST take down the invisible fences & let people explore ALL of Alcatraz Island.
Otherwise, I'm REALLY looking forward to Fallout 4, it's release day probably the last time I play Defiance -no new content & STILL Can't get into the Crater Bar!!!
(Borderlands Bars even let ClapTrap in & dance there.)
The makers of Skyrim, Bethesda, have revamped the SKYRIM system for use as the platform of Fallout 4.
The Fallout series has some great story lines, but SKYRIM has far deeper back story and lore.
Elder Scrolls will probably become a set of movies fairly soon, just like Tolkin's Hobbit series.

Defiance very much needs more backstory, The Pale Wars could be a whole season or two, like CAPRICA could have been. But SyFy loves Abortions & killed CAPRICA before getting a second season. they deserved better & so did FireFly !

For the Defiance TV show, how about some flashbacks back to the pre-launch of the Ark Ships right before the planets were evacuating!

Geeze, hard to imagine a more desperate situation than an entire star system attempting to evacuate away to safety before their star explodes.
(Just ask Superman's parents!)
So much potential to mine... Like exactly what was the good doctor doing before the migration ? Or are there any other races or what about another late coming ship?

Plenty of chances to do anything & go anywhere with the TV show. The game can too grow more content & attract more players & Bits profits...

IrisaLover
07-08-2015, 10:29 PM
How did I get to Defiance? I took the land coach like everyone else :P

Best.

Response.

Ever.

PTR47
07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
PS3 Beta. It was just following the EVE Beta I think, and that SUUUUCKED. But I spent a lot of time on the Defiance Beta so my brother bought the game for me.

I come from a WoW healing background, but Blizzard ground the Priest class into the dirt, so I left. Tried LOTRO for a while and then moved to console. My toon's name (below) actually comes from the Drenai random name generator in WoW which is the name of the low-level alt I used with the theory-crafting bunch.

dearhcrow89
07-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Heard about a sci fi show with a companion video game and thought it sounded cool. But didnt join the game or watch till season 2 had other things going on and kind of forgot about it. Still love both of them

dearhcrow89
07-09-2015, 05:09 AM
I watch syfy channel often, I miss Stargate shows.:(

Unfortunately they seem to have gone away from the early 2000s when sci fi was good. Hell they had tremors the seriss then, idk about anyone else but that airing on sci fi back then made my year lol.

edispilfnairb
07-09-2015, 05:30 AM
One of my old clan mates from Ghost Recon had played the Beta and begged me to buy this game.
The Ghost Recon servers were on a downward swing, Extreme Lag*Cough*Cough*, so I said sure-why not?

Needless to say I have been here since. Love the the show. The game is fun, most of the time. The management and execution....well, not so much.

I don't play as much anymore. The issues on console are almost unbearable. I wont even get into some of the issues of the latest game changes and decisions.

If they ever decide to port this game to next gen, or allow us to transfer our accounts to PC, even for a fee I would play more. I firmly believe half of the games stability issues are because Trion released the game on PS3, and Xbox 360. If they had released on PS4, Xbox 1 and PC this game could have been so much more, could still be so much more.

PithHelmetIrath
07-09-2015, 05:35 AM
If they ever decide to port this game to next gen, or allow us to transfer our accounts to PC, even for a fee, I would play more. I firmly believe half of the games stability issues are because Trion released the game on PS3, and Xbox 360. If they had released on PS4, Xbox 1 and PC this game could have been so much more, could still be so much more.

Really tough to argue against any of this.. well said..