PDA

View Full Version : One day and I've had it with this stupid game

IrisaLover
07-08-2015, 04:50 PM
My reasons are as follows:

1) A character-customization setup that takes a godd*mn hour to get through just to get a character who isn't butt-ugly. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect made the same mistake. World of Warcraft did this MUCH better just by being simpler.

2) kith and Kinship. I probably died 20 or 30 times in that one fight alone. That's bulls*** on a scale that no game should ever inflict on a player. It's easily the second most annoying, frustrating, repetitive, r*tarded thing I've ever experienced in a game. The #1 spot goes to a particular fight in the Mad Hatter's lair in Madness Returns.

3) Into the Depths. After my second death, I realized that I was playing Kinship all over again, and f*** that. That was the exact moment I decided to stop playing.

4) Most importantly, I don't feel like I'm playing a game set in the Defiance universe. Oh sure, every once in a while I'll see a Hellbug or a character will say something about an Arkfall, but basically 99% of my time is spent in places we never see on the show, fighting enemies that were never even mentioned on the show (but which I've killed a few hundred of in Doom 3), and interacting with characters who were never mentioned on the show.

If not for these things, I would have been able to put up with all the other garbage that's destroying PC shooters as a whole (two-gun limit, Halo Healing, etc.). As it is, though, I'm basically just playing Fallout with the monsters from Doom, on the hardest difficulty, and that's not what I signed up for.

Cobra Crusher
07-08-2015, 05:08 PM
This game is not even hard. If your new and playing alone your threat level is 1.

Dixie Cougar
07-08-2015, 05:17 PM
4) Most importantly, I don't feel like I'm playing a game set in the Defiance universe. Oh sure, every once in a while I'll see a Hellbug or a character will say something about an Arkfall, but basically 99% of my time is spent in places we never see on the show, fighting enemies that were never even mentioned on the show (but which I've killed a few hundred of in Doom 3), and interacting with characters who were never mentioned on the show.

Didn't the show have some biomen in it even before season 3?

SirServed
07-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Try Season 1 Episode 1.

In regards to your play experience, you sound like you could use a guide for new players. If you're playing on PCNA, I can provide some help.

konstantinov
07-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Judging something after one day is pretty ridiculous.

Johnny Gatt
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
I agree that the learning curve for this game for a day one player leaves a lot to be desired, however I do not think you can judge the entire game experience based on the first few missions. This is designed to be a social game. Trying to solo missions as a newer players can be frustrating. Group up with nearby players before going into mission zones. If someone invites you to a clan, accept and give them a try, you will be amazed at how the game shines a little brighter when you run with new friends and clan-mates.

Soundtrack26
07-08-2015, 06:22 PM
i was hooked after one day, even like the show. and they Do Mention things in the show from the game, i seen season one n two more then once so should know lol. and i don't understand what the OP first thing meant...

dearhcrow89
07-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Im not going to trg and be rude here but your tolerance level for a video seems to suck if your pissed off at it. Personally i love the character creation screen, yes its a bit lacking in options but i like most of them. Secondly the story missions are the best part to me. But hey if you cant ride it till you find it then cya dont need negative nancy and her friends to ruin the party.

Escyos
07-08-2015, 06:51 PM

2) kith and Kinship. I probably died 20 or 30 times in that one fight alone. That's bulls*** on a scale that no game should ever inflict on a player. It's easily the second most annoying, frustrating, repetitive, r*tarded thing I've ever experienced in a game. The #1 spot goes to a particular fight in the Mad Hatter's lair in Madness Returns.

3) Into the Depths. After my second death, I realized that I was playing Kinship all over again, and f*** that. That was the exact moment I decided to stop playing.

I understand that they are difficult for a new player, I felt the same thing when I started. Try completing some contracts and pursuits and doing some arkfalls and incursions to bring up your EGO level so you don't feel so overwhelmed.

The game and the show never said they would be sharing the exact same place. Also the Ninety-Niners were mentioned in the Pilot, Volge were in the Pilot and Raiders were mentioned several times. You have to remember that they are two areas separated by a massive badlands plagued by arkfalls, razor rain and storms.

Sevrin
07-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Hang in there. There is a lot to learn when you first start this game (actually there is a lot to learn even after you been playing for a while). But the secret is to hook up with a clan or at least make some friends. I played the game solo for far too long before I realized that the key to success (and in-game joy) is to team up with other players. Lots of folks in this game are happy to help with anything. If you are PC NA, feel free to message me in game if you have any questions. If I don't know the answer, I guarantee someone in my clan will.

It's a good game, so give it and other players a chance. Then, chances are, you might change your mind and be glad you did.

Cyripax NeoPrime
07-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Theres always been biomen in the show, yes

Cyripax NeoPrime
07-08-2015, 08:41 PM
So youve only played 1 day and your already saying you dont feel like its the "defiance universe".

You havent even gotten anywhere yet. Start with season 1 episode 1 and things will be much easier as you progress.

This game is NOT hard once you get the hang of it ;) i didnt even need to revive till the 5th or 6th mission my first playthrough. Ive started new characters recently and nothings changed. You just need to take it slow and stick to the storyline untill you get some decent weapons and ego up a bit. Once you can start using your skills things get better. Everything in due time.

Youd be suprised how many ppl get through the tutorial and just venture head 1st into the shyiet. Lol they get on area chat and start asking "whered you get the ATV man?" or "can you give me some good guns your not using?" (Which i dont mind doing usually) but seriously everytime some1 asks about the atv im just like DOOOOOOOD just play the 1st mission!! Lol

The game does get better once you ego up and can actually partake in things without bieng hosed.

If you find yourself going down alot, unlock cloak or blur 1st. Theyll get you out of sticky situations. And youll need the Self Medicate perk

You auto level at higher threat levels, but no amount of that will prepare you like in game experience will ;)

CONTRACTS cant be unlocked untill you reach EGO 175.... but theres plenty to get you going before that.

Im on ps3 na(2 +2000egos, and 4under 1000ego toons. And xbox na(fresh character)
What platform r u?

IrisaLover
07-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Okay, the basic message here seems to be "you have to play in a team or die, nothing is meant to be soloed". Given that I somehow, against all odds, managed to find a face that I liked, I will take that message to heart and give the game one more chance. but first, I have to razz you all a little :)

Those big blue guys were supposed to be biomen? All but one of the 6 or 7 biomen we've seen on the show have been butlers or bodyguards, and the exception was a ring fighter... none were indestructible chaingun-wielding mini-bosses that could take 300 bullets without dying.

If you're playing on PCNA

I don't do street drugs, just alcohol.

To be fair... there are a lot of hours in a day and I have no life. I can get more done in a day than a lot of people can in a week.

Group up with nearby players

You mean those guys with the purple things over their heads that I see maybe once every half hour?

Personally i love the character creation screen, yes its a bit lacking in options

what what what? No. It's the opposite. There are too many options! Like I said, World of Warcraft did this better specifically because it was simpler. Every face was a unique and integrated whole, not the combination of a bunch of random deformities thrown together.

The game and the show never said they would be sharing the exact same place.

It's kind of implied in the title, though.

Also the Ninety-Niners were mentioned in the Pilot

WTF is a ninety-niner?

Volge were in the Pilot and Raiders were mentioned several times.

Yeah, game seems suspiciously devoid of them. I'd love to fight some raiders or Volge instead of shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and oh look a blue walking tank that looks nothing like the biomen from the TV series, just to shake things up so you feel like you're not just fighting shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers.

If you are PC NA

Actually I'm straight, but I can name 2 or 3 male celebrities for whom I might turn bi-curious after a few drinks.

You just need to take it slow and stick to the storyline untill you get some decent weapons

Haha, those are two mutually exclusive things, my friend. I actually "cheated" a bit and ran all the way down to... the bug... whatever the final fast-travel point is, so that I could buy the best weapons they had, then teleported back to the starting area, thinking that using my big new gun in the starting area would be EZmode. I was wrong.

Oh, that reminds me of another thing about the game that bugs me. If I equip two light machine guns of different models, or two assault rifles of different models, or a submachine gun and a light machine gun, or whatever, they end up sharing the same 500-round ammo pool. That's bullcrap! Especially if the SMG fires plasma projectiles but the LMG fires bullets! Cartridges and weapon classifications have nothing to do with each other. Would you expect ammo from an AK-47 to work with an M16 just because they're both assault rifles? Of course not. But the Colt 1911 pistol and the Thompson submachine gun both use the same .45 ACP ammo.

</gun nerd rant>

What platform r u?

The one where people type proper English.

Yun
07-08-2015, 10:08 PM
You'll regret saying you'd love to fight some Volge. You thought that bio-man was a bullet sponge? The Volge make him look like a prius in a wreck with an 18-wheeler. Also once you get further into the map they spawn frequently as emergency quests.

crazyged
07-09-2015, 12:29 AM
I've been tooling around lately with one of my teeny toons.

I'm loving that defenseless feeling that keeps you on your toes - things are too easy when you're max ego.

Ahh, the smell of blood and sweat in the morning!

Escyos
07-09-2015, 12:38 AM
It's kind of implied in the title, though.

Not really. Defiance means a LOT of things in the Defiance universe.

WTF is a ninety-niner?

Yeah, game seems suspiciously devoid of them. I'd love to fight some raiders or Volge instead of shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers and oh look a blue walking tank that looks nothing like the biomen from the TV series, just to shake things up so you feel like you're not just fighting shotgun zombies and rifle zombies and cleavers.

There are only mutants in Mount Tam (usually), of course that's all you've seen. And ninety-niners come later. As others have said, you've played for ONE day, no way you would have had any real chance to get into it.

PTR47
07-09-2015, 12:42 AM
It's tricky to help when you're overly familiar with the game. I have fresh toons and it's all easy, because you know how to move, how your enemy will move, everything else. I've topped score in majors with sub-300 ego toons.

What I can tell you is:
(a) you can solo as long as you want;
(b) there is SOME diversity in enemies, even though I got your DOOM reference right away;
(c) on char creation, some games just do it differently -- I think it's so people can make themselves if they wish; and
(d) probably stay away from the forums for a few weeks and just enjoy the game unless you need information.

CaptainObvious
07-09-2015, 03:44 AM

You shouldn't play with your legs.

dearhcrow89
07-09-2015, 04:50 AM
What i ment by too few options is the hair and or facial hair thats what i took the longest on i didnt want to have look like every other person in game which is kind of hard. With the few options, ive played other games where you barely see anyone look alike.

Bonehead
07-09-2015, 08:13 AM

I still miss Churchill.

PithHelmetIrath
07-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Those big blue guys were supposed to be biomen? All but one of the 6 or 7 biomen we've seen on the show have been butlers or bodyguards, and the exception was a ring fighter... none were indestructible chaingun-wielding mini-bosses that could take 300 bullets without dying.

Obviously, the Threat Level wasn't high enough during those episodes.. lol

David Irwin
07-09-2015, 08:41 AM
i really don't understand how you found the game too hard ( I would say at times its too easy and can make you unprepared for when it really hits the fan ).... and you have to keep in mind that to be able to reward you experience and to make a character better and stronger, it must start out with some limitations. Yes you are very limited in the beginning, but you have many skills to improve , going from 100 to 5000 ego you better see some differences, and you do. the game is designed to be much more rewarding for the players who have put the time in, its silly to start and expect to be as good as those who have been playing for months (in some cases years ). you think what you played was hard?? have you even tried expeditions? you really don't even see a lot of what the game has to offer until you ego gets up into the 1000's .

David Irwin
07-09-2015, 08:43 AM
no where on the show have they ever discussed people/ bio-men/ characters using ego implants. in the game ark hunters & enemies use ego implants , this is where all the added strength and power comes from. also pretty sure on the show the first time they show bio men Nolan comments on how there different "models" so naturally some would be stronger than others.

RAGEFIGHTER
07-09-2015, 08:45 AM
ok lady calm down trust mee you gona like it later first have to say game and tv show is wery connected just watch from start to last episodes you even gona talk npcs irisa nolan wich are in tv show yess wee propobly newer will get in defiance city but well wee are somhere near about game hardcore old players made this mess for sure they told devs wee are too obred wee wanna chalange and devs gived them in same time droping shtako on noobs heads :) mass events will always bee hard watch on threat level in yellow ball near your nickname tl 10 ohh now wee got 11 also is biggest trouble for beginners my suggestion finish all missions doo some of tous wide arkfalls and alot cooop maps it will give you some items xp scrips find friends and clan mates its always more funn to play with someone i have no idea wich platform and server you play defiance pc eu is wery wery populated with players im one of them :) well i also have some negatives about game but well its related only to trion company not to defiance as game :) i love this game free world masive multiplayer they have great potential but they not dooing well to reach the skyes :)

CM Kiwibird
07-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Defiance is generally best played with other ark hunters. Join up with these folks that want to help you and you're going to have a jekking awesome ride. We have a community that is really great at welcoming new ark hunters to Paradise.

You're an ark hunter now, this is your story. Make it a good one. :) You're already on the forums, so that's a great start! Join a clan. Ever try roleplaying? Belle Starr does some awesome stuff. Check her out here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?218579-FCN-News-Bulletin-Community-Shadow-War-Chaos!). We've got upcoming events (http://www.defiancedata.com/calendar.php) in July that are going to be excellent as well. Need help finding a clan? There's a subforum for that (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans).

Here's a bit of backstory on enemies in Defiance (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/game/enemies/) if you're interested! Defiance Data is a great resource if you want to check out things like outfits (www.defiancedata.com/outfits.php), loadouts players have made (www.defiancedata.com/loadouts.php), and giveaways (http://www.defiancedata.com/giveaways.php).

RAGEFIGHTER
07-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Defiance is generally best played with other ark hunters. Join up with these folks that want to help you and you're going to have a jekking awesome ride. We have a community that is really great at welcoming new ark hunters to Paradise.

You're an ark hunter now, this is your story. Make it a good one. :) You're already on the forums, so that's a great start! Join a clan. Ever try roleplaying? Belle Starr does some awesome stuff. Check her out here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?218579-FCN-News-Bulletin-Community-Shadow-War-Chaos!). We've got upcoming events (http://www.defiancedata.com/calendar.php) in July that are going to be excellent as well. Need help finding a clan? There's a subforum for that (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans).

Here's a bit of backstory on enemies in Defiance if you're interested! Defiance Data is a great resource if you want to check out things like outfits (www.defiancedata.com/outfits.php), loadouts players have made (www.defiancedata.com/loadouts.php), and giveaways (http://www.defiancedata.com/giveaways.php).

hello sweet lady kiwi its nice to see you always so helpfull and so active :) she propobly runned in tl10 oh or even now tl 11 event and wonderring what was that just my opinion scaling system still does not work perfect :) instead off all that you shuld give her some guides for beginners how to survive perks syns ect :)

IrisaLover
07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
no where on the show have they ever discussed people/ bio-men/ characters using ego implants.

Except the three that Mayor What's-Her-Name, her E-Rep boyfriend, and Doc Yewll all had, which malfunctioned and caused them to hallucinate, and which Yewll kept long after she removed the other two because she couldn't say goodbye to her hallucinated dead lesbian ex-girlfriend.

ok lady calm down trust mee you gona like it later first have to say game and tv show is wery connected just watch from start to last episodes you even gona talk npcs irisa nolan wich are in tv show yess wee propobly newer will get in defiance city but well wee are somhere near about game hardcore old players made this mess for sure they told devs wee are too obred wee wanna chalange and devs gived them in same time droping shtako on noobs heads :) mass events will always bee hard watch on threat level in yellow ball near your nickname tl 10 ohh now wee got 11 also is biggest trouble for beginners my suggestion finish all missions doo some of tous wide arkfalls and alot cooop maps it will give you some items xp scrips find friends and clan mates its always more funn to play with someone i have no idea wich platform and server you play defiance pc eu is wery wery populated with players im one of them :) well i also have some negatives about game but well its related only to trion company not to defiance as game :) i love this game free world masive multiplayer they have great potential but they not dooing well to reach the skyes :)

I have no idea what you just said, but I could identify a few English words in there.

Oh look, I got some attention from Corporate! YAY!

You're an ark hunter now, this is your story. Make it a good one.

Ummm how? I've just come out of a three-year addiction to World of Warcraft, and compared to WoW, Defiance has practically no opportunity for anything other than combat. Defiance has no auction house. It has no crafting, and therefore no farming for crafting mats (ah, the good old days of farming thorium in Un'Goro Crater...). There's no raiding of the enemy faction's capital cities to kill their leaders. There's no drinking until you puke (yes, you can actually do this in WoW). There are no missions that are of personal importance to the characters but completely irrelevant to the campaign. And this is all without getting into the stuff that was added in recent expansion packs like pet battles and garrisons. Defiance is just killing wave after wave of bad guys, and nothing else. How am I supposed to have a good story here?

Well, I guess the part where I tried to run all the way from the starting area to Silicon Valley was kind of wacky.

Join a clan.

I tried asking "How do I join a clan?" repeatedly in chat but was ignored. Should I try caps lock and see if I have better luck?

Ever try roleplaying?

I did once consider making a webisode series, titled "Plaguelands", that would have followed the adventures of a group of Forsaken and Blood Elves along their adventures through the Western and Eastern Plaguelands, with a possible prologue or prequel set in the Ghostlands. It would have included everything from inside jokes about the "twenty bear *****" nature of the game's quests, to heavy stuff like shifting loyalties (they'd renege against Sylvanas after the Battle of Andorhal) and commentary on the difference between reclaiming one's home and building an empire. I even had a plan for what the characters would wear - they'd start out in distinct, 100% complete transmog outfits appropriate for level 35 characters; as they acquired new armor pieces as quest rewards, their outfits would become increasingly uncoordinated, and it would become harder to tell one uncoordinated mess of an outfit from another. This would symbolize how they meet up as individuals, but over time, become a unit through their shared experiences.

Now tell me how I can do anything remotely like that in Defiance.

Need help finding a clan? There's a subforum for that (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans).

Now THAT is helpful :)

CM Kiwibird
07-09-2015, 01:29 PM
I have no idea what you just said, but I could identify a few English words in there.

Hey now. Please review the forum guidelines here (http://forums.defiance.com/announcement.php?f=3&a=4), being rude to other members of the community when they're trying to offer you assistance isn't okay.

Defiance has practically no opportunity for anything other than combat.

We're definitely an MMO third person shooter. Combat is going to remain a major part of Defiance. If you're looking to trade, you're going to want to check out the trading subforums here (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Need-Want-(Trading-Post)).

no farming for crafting mats

Here's a link to Defiance Data's coverage of currencies in Defiance (http://www.defiancedata.com/currencies.php) and what they do.

Defiance is just killing wave after wave of bad guys, and nothing else. How am I supposed to have a good story here?

We're an MMO, and the best part of MMOs are the people that you play them with. I'm part of the Community Team so I may be biased. :) Take a look at your loadout. Is your character the empathetic type? Add Turn the Tide perk. When you do that, you recharge your self-revive when you revive other players.

I tried asking "How do I join a clan?" repeatedly in chat but was ignored. Should I try caps lock and see if I have better luck?

Well, let's cover creating a clan first. This involves opening the social window (press ESC, first button on the left) and clicking the brackets at the top on the social window. That's the clan section. You need to be EGO level 50 and have 5,000 Scrip to make a clan if you want to go that route, but there are many clans already out there.

If you want to join a clan, you'll need to find one. (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans) I've joined clans with folks I've played with, and I generally accept the first to invite me in when I'm playing on my Trion Kiwibird account. I think you're on PC, so here's a handy link to the slash commands in game (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203372588-Defiance-In-Game-Slash-Commands). Try grouping up with someone before you choose their clan and you'll be able to get a feel for how they play the game.

Now tell me how I can do anything remotely like that in Defiance.

Here's a link to outfits (http://www.defiancedata.com/clothing.php?t=Outfit) with details on how to obtain them, you could probably start there if you're looking to get into having outfit progression go along with your story. For following a group of adventurers, you'd probably want to make a clan or join one that is already more geared towards roleplaying. I'd suggest checking out factions (http://www.defiancedata.com/factions.php) as well if you haven't had a chance to yet. If roleplaying isn't your jam, there are other clans out there that have different focuses in-game. For example, some are known for PvP while others are known for being awesome at expeditions.

For me, I generally dislike raiders so I was very pleased with the Raider Hater title for my character. Have you heard them in game?

"I'm comin' to get you!"

No. No you're not, buster. I'm going to shoot you.

konstantinov
07-09-2015, 03:36 PM
"pain is coming!"

Johnny Stranger
07-09-2015, 03:39 PM
LOL, yea, when I tried playing deux ex human rev , I couldn't figure out how to get in the elevator for an hour....right at the start....lol...every game has a learning curve...relax, research ...have fun ..

btw, deux ex was an awesome game after that 1 hour of stupidness... :)

Warhorse1000
07-09-2015, 07:32 PM
:confused::confused:

1) A character-customization setup that takes a godd*mn hour to get through just to get a character who isn't butt-ugly. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect made the same mistake. World of Warcraft did this MUCH better just by being simpler.

If not for these things, I would have been able to put up with all the other garbage that's destroying PC shooters as a whole (two-gun limit, Halo Healing, etc.). As it is, though, I'm basically just playing Fallout with the monsters from Doom, on the hardest difficulty, and that's not what I signed up for.

Okay....for starters, it sounds like you play on the PC servers, based on the first sentence of the last paragraph. PC NA (that's Personal Computer North America, because some of your later posts seemed to indicate that you didn't know what it meant) is probably the most stable server in the game. When the PS3 and XBox folks are ready to rip their hair out and put their Defiance disks in the microwave, we PC players are cruising right along.

So we've figured out which platform you're on. Now...to answer your other complaints:

1) I don't think that character customization screen is all that bad. The ones I've dealt with in WoW (yes, I've played that too, although since the Chinese hackers got at my account I don't play anymore) and in Star Wars: The Old Republic were WAY more nuanced. If anything, when I first started this game I felt like there was NOT enough selection, after playing those two games.

2) "Kith and Kinship" was hard? Erm....no. Blew through it on my first try, although in fairness to you that was just over two years ago now. It's possible it's changed a bit for the lowbies. I have to run through it about twice a week, and it's just a crashing bore now. You think that's hard, you don't want to go up against Nim Shondu---spoiler alert. He's the Big Bad you get to deal with at the end of the initial set of story missions. And the mission that takes you to Alamo Park in Old San Fran will be guaranteed to drive you up the wall. I'm not spoiling that one for you.

3) Don't remember "Into the Depths". Oh well...having a senior moment here....

4) I don't understand how you're missing the tie-ins. Ara Shondu---who you'll meet later in the game---was mentioned in the first 1/2 hour of the pilot episode. Hellbugs get their own episode in the show---and an...ummm...interesting introduction in the episode. (Wonder if they ever fixed Kenya's bed...) Bio-Men show up in the pilot and in a standalone episode in Season 1, and the "Churchill" character is present in at least a few eps in Season 2. We've all recently seen the Fab Four in Season 3. Jon Cooper gets a nod in the most recent TV episode; there's a tie-in Season 1 mission storyline in the game that gets us players up close and personal with Rynn, the (really hot) Spirit Rider that you see in the show.

And, of course,....there's the entire Season 1 mission storyline in-game that puts you alongside Nolan and Irisa. Later on, there'll be a Season 2 mission storyline that will put you with Nolan again. Not spoiling either of those.

I will grant you this: The ones in the show seem to be plodding musclebound idiots, while the ones in-game are decidedly more sinister. That said, by the time you reach EGO 5600+---like me---you'll be yawning as you one-shot them from yards away with a sniper rifle.

Bottom line, it's not as bad as you think. Just wait till you try Jackleg Joe, or have to deal with a Hulker solo.

Let me make you this offer: Whenever you're on, look for me in-game. Casey Jones is the name, arkhunting is my game. And so is helping out other players. Not only that, but we in The Consortium are strong believers in extending a helping hand to our fellow players---just look for the clan tag. I'm sure one of us will be willing to help you. Now that's not to say we're going to grease you through everything---our help is semi-toughlove. We'll talk you through it, tell you where to stand, and recommend the best weapon for you. But we're not just simply going to do it all for you.

Don't give up yet. I think you'd be stopping before you got to the fun part.

Cobra Crusher
07-09-2015, 07:36 PM
LOL, yea, when I tried playing deux ex human rev , I couldn't figure out how to get in the elevator for an hour....right at the start....lol...every game has a learning curve...relax, research ...have fun ..

btw, deux ex was an awesome game after that 1 hour of stupidness... :)

Yes Deus Ex is awesome. I couldn't figure out the hacking at first. It had me so mad.

Merilee
07-10-2015, 09:16 AM
This game is certainly not for fly-by-night gamers. You can't just jump in and be a God like other brainless games out there. There is a huge learning curve. I have been playing for over two years and I still learn something new everyday. My ego is 6000 and I still get my hind parts handed to me on occasion.

I have many xbox live friends who have what I call "gaming ADD". I do not recommend this game to anyone who can't keep focus on any one game for long.

Merilee
07-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Oh and why are we even talking about the character creation screen when we almost always have the "michelin man" suit on!

TheStigsCousin
07-10-2015, 10:43 AM
This game is certainly not for fly-by-night gamers. You can't just jump in and be a God like other brainless games out there. There is a huge learning curve. I have been playing for over two years and I still learn something new everyday. My ego is 6000 and I still get my hind parts handed to me on occasion.

I have many xbox live friends who have what I call "gaming ADD". I do not recommend this game to anyone who can't keep focus on any one game for long.

What I used to say to people when they were complaining how difficult the game is to learn --
"Welcome to Defiance, it's not Call Of Duty." :D

IrisaLover
07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, I tried doing some of the side missions, and that totally solved the difficulty problem. Either that or my upgrade froma level 70 weapon to a level 100. Either way, this still doesn't fix the BIG problem (namely, that I feel like I'm playing Doom 3 on a Fallout map), but it's enough to keep me going... for now.

Oh, and those ammo crates that seem to be lightly defended, but then 3 bio-men drop on you at the same time once you clear out the first batch of baddies? That's just EVIL.

We're definitely an MMO third person shooter. Combat is going to remain a major part of Defiance.

Oh good. That saves me the trouble of saying "Defiance isn't an MMORPG, it's an MMOTPS with elements borrowed from certain RPGs"

If you're looking to trade, you're going to want to check out the trading subforums here (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Need-Want-(Trading-Post)).

Here's a link to Defiance Data's coverage of currencies in Defiance (http://www.defiancedata.com/currencies.php) and what they do.

Not remotely comparable. One of my characters in World of Warcraft has an awesome story about meeting someone in Dalaran who was saying "I need cobalt and not even my ponderous wealth can help me..." (the supply of cobalt on that server's auction house was pretty dried up). My character was like "ponderous wealth, you say?", to which the other player responded with an Animaniacs reference, "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" We negotiated an amount and a price, and I spent the next few hours farming cobalt in the Borean Tundra for a very nice profit. That is now part of my CHARACTER'S story. "I went on the forums and posted in a thread" cannot be a part of a character's story, it's part of MY real-life story.

Take a look at your loadout.

My what?

Is your character the empathetic type?

How the hell should I know? Defiance doesn't offer the sorts of conversation options and moral dilemmas that a game like Mass Effect offers. Maybe if you give me a "Shovel of Mercy (http://forums.defiance.com/www.wowhead.com/quest=28189/do-the-right-thing)"-type quest, I'll decide how empathetic my character is. All I know about my character so far is that she's an Irathient mechanic with a fondness for cloaking, crouching, crits, and light machine guns.

Here's a link to outfits (http://www.defiancedata.com/clothing.php?t=Outfit) with details on how to obtain them, you could probably start there if you're looking to get into having outfit progression go along with your story.

"And then, having smashed the heads of 15 human seedlings to spare them from an even grimmer fate, I beheld the greatest weapon I had ever seen: the Shovel of Mercy" is not comparable to "I paid $10 to buy this item from the in-game store".

For me, I generally dislike raiders so I was very pleased with the Raider Hater title for my character. Have you heard them in game?

I encountered them once, during the mission where you have to kill 8 bio-men and the ~500 Raiders who spawn when you're trying to do that. However, I was too busy getting ***** by ~500 raiders to pay much attention to what they were saying.

I don't understand how you're missing the tie-ins. Ara Shondu---who you'll meet later in the game---was mentioned in the first 1/2 hour of the pilot episode. Hellbugs get their own episode in the show---and an...ummm...interesting introduction in the episode. (Wonder if they ever fixed Kenya's bed...) Bio-Men show up in the pilot and in a standalone episode in Season 1, and the "Churchill" character is present in at least a few eps in Season 2. We've all recently seen the Fab Four in Season 3. Jon Cooper gets a nod in the most recent TV episode; there's a tie-in Season 1 mission storyline in the game that gets us players up close and personal with Rynn, the (really hot) Spirit Rider that you see in the show.

And, of course,....there's the entire Season 1 mission storyline in-game that puts you alongside Nolan and Irisa. Later on, there'll be a Season 2 mission storyline that will put you with Nolan again.

I've already acknowledged the occasional Hellbug and the issues with bio-men. As for your other "points", a person shouldn't have to comb through every line of dialog from every episode of the show and cross-reference it to an entire playthrough of the game in order to find more connections than the ones I mentioned. The game should FEEL like it's set in the Defiance universe from the start. There should be Indogenes, there should be Sensoth, there should be Liberata, there should be non-player Castis and more than one non-player Irathient, there should be familiar locations, there should be more than 2 familiar characters and they should be in more than 0.1% of the game, common enemies on the show like Raiders and the Volge should not be reduced to 0.1% of the enemies that you encounter in the game in order to make room for enemies that don't exist on the TV show, etc...

Instead, all but one of my allies are human and I'm fighting wave after wave of Doom 3 enemies. That is not what I signed up for

Rouge Assasin
07-10-2015, 01:21 PM

I find your comment pretty ridiculous. This player has not even come close to finding the worst parts of the game ( CONSTANT disconnections, lag beyond belief, spending REAL money for DLC's and not being able to even use them "Dc or no other players who want to play", being moved to another server after dropping a major, ect.
I personally LOVE a good hard battle. Sadly I beat the whole game in a couple weeks and got bored....
Had I of not already spent a few hundred bucks on the game, I would not be playing....
A player can EASILY determine if they like a game or not after just an hour......

Rouge Assasin
07-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Whats the point in even creating a specialized character? EVERYONE always looks the same except in co op's.........

Matsuri_Synapze777
07-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Don't feed the trolls...

lisk
07-10-2015, 04:32 PM
At lest you could get in the game I can't get past the dam connecting to sever page and it's been like 2 days :/ ... That an issue I have alone or is any one els got that problem(ps3)

melodylane21
07-10-2015, 07:18 PM

I understand where you are coming from somewhat I just started playing maybe about a month ago. It was very hard at first and I died... a lot... but to me that just made it even more fun. I was so used to games where I just breezed through content that the difficulty level was a welcome change. I also managed to complete the entire story line solo so it can be done you just need to be ready to die a lot.

However once you do finish it's good fun just doing arkfalls and contracts and for me that where most of the group play came in at. I really did not group with anyone while soloing as they just slowed me down. I suggest to give it another try cause even if you die just remember its just a game and I for one thought it was a bit a funny how much I was dying. You should just laugh it off makes it much more fun to play.

Also be prepared as the story line progresses to die repeatedly in some instances where you are required to do them solo. You are not allowed to bring other players but those taught me how strategize and duck and use the surrounding obstacles as cover which come in handy later in the game. Also pick up some grenades they help out and some health stims those help in a pickle.

Finally if you are on the PC North American server I would not mind helping you out its always fun making new friends. Feel free to look up Githanye! ;)

JohnTW
07-10-2015, 10:54 PM
What made me want quit is the Time-Trial in this game. Time-Trial most stupid and worse designed content in this game...it should be removed, and whoever is/are the developer(s) that come up with Time-Trial in defiance should be fired and banned from ever return to any gaming company!

c_e_r_u_l_e_a_n
07-10-2015, 11:14 PM
What made me want quit is the Time-Trial in this game. Time-Trial most stupid and worse designed content in this game...it should be removed, and whoever is/are the developer(s) that come up with Time-Trial in defiance should be fired and banned from ever return to any gaming company!

I hate to be "that guy" but I completed each time trial with a gold cup after a few tries. Once you learn the layout of the track and the control of the Hannibal it becomes quite easy. Keep at it, you'll get it, don't be discouraged.
:cool:

PTR47
07-10-2015, 11:27 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but I completed each time trial with a gold cup after a few tries. Once you learn the layout of the track and the control of the Hannibal it becomes quite easy. Keep at it, you'll get it, don't be discouraged.

No, you're "that guy". I've done them all, but they are amazingly bad game-play. They should be removed.

c_e_r_u_l_e_a_n
07-10-2015, 11:30 PM
No, you're "that guy". I've done them all, but they are amazingly bad game-play. They should be removed.

Well then, guess I am. I don't have an issue with the TT, best of luck to you.

PTR47
07-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Well then, guess I am. I don't have an issue with the TT, best of luck to you.

They are remarkably similar to the superman game on [Nintendo?], which I believe hails as the second WORST videogame ever made (the worst being ET). I don't care ether way at this point as I've done them, but, no, they suck and serve no purpose.

Here's some Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9oR0YTxHs

Atticus Batman
07-10-2015, 11:43 PM
They are remarkably similar to the superman game on [Nintendo?], which I believe hails as the second WORST videogame ever made (the worst being ET). I don't care ether way at this point as I've done them, but, no, they suck and serve no purpose.

Here's some Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9oR0YTxHs

That Superman was on N64 yes.

Time trials suck. I don't even have silver in all of them. However I do not see why anybody would ever want content removed from a game, especially a game lacking in content. If you don't like them, then just don't do them, like I normally don't. Or do like most of the people who brag about getting gold did. Hand the controller to a teen that loves monotonous racing and refuses to quit until they get gold.

PTR47
07-10-2015, 11:49 PM
That Superman was on N64 yes.

Time trials suck. I don't even have silver in all of them. However I do not see why anybody would ever want content removed from a game, especially a game lacking in content. If you don't like them, then just don't do them, like I normally don't. Or do like most of the people who brag about getting gold did. Hand the controller to a teen that loves monotonous racing and refuses to quit until they get gold.

You have a meta argument there, Batsies. And I'm not going to wholly disagree with you. I personally think that content should be pointed and engaging. It should be as long as it is, and not shorter nor longer. Extraneous fluff is just that, and will drag the pointedness down.

I dunno; as an extra thing to do? Ya, I can get behind that. As a necessary thing to do? I'm kinda wincing.

Atticus Batman
07-10-2015, 11:57 PM
You have a meta argument there, Batsies. And I'm not going to wholly disagree with you. I personally think that content should be pointed and engaging. It should be as long as it is, and not shorter nor longer. Extraneous fluff is just that, and will drag the pointedness down.

I dunno; as an extra thing to do? Ya, I can get behind that. As a necessary thing to do? I'm kinda wincing.

Well I am stuck at 5680 on purpose. I see no reason to force myself to do crap I don't like just to reach max EGO. Heck I only need 200 more PVP kills to finish the PVP pursuits for another (I think) 40 ego, but I am not going to grind PvP for that. I will continue to only do PvP or time trials if I feel like it.

However it would be nice if the Golding all time trials was it's own pursuit and not tied to a whole group of pursuits.

PTR47
07-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Well I am stuck at 5680 on purpose. I see no reason to force myself to do crap I don't like just to reach max EGO. Heck I only need 200 more PVP kills to finish the PVP pursuits for another (I think) 40 ego, but I am not going to grind PvP for that. I will continue to only do PvP or time trials if I feel like it.

However it would be nice if the Golding all time trials was it's own pursuit and not tied to a whole group of pursuits.

I hear you, and ya, that's a fine thought about separating the golds from the Exploration pursuits.

I could personally get a lot more EGO out of what -- like 22 more turret kills or something, but until the Cerberus is addressed, I ain't goin' near it.

Atticus Batman
07-11-2015, 12:10 AM
I hear you, and ya, that's a fine thought about separating the golds from the Exploration pursuits.

I could personally get a lot more EGO out of what -- like 22 more turret kills or something, but until the Cerberus is addressed, I ain't goin' near it.

Yeah I don't see why racing (even if it is just silver medals) is part of exploration. They should be part of the pedal to the medal pursuit categories, and not be linked to the area explorations.

Neptuno
07-11-2015, 01:57 PM
There should honestly be more than ~100 ego beyond the 6k that's obtainable so that people could skip parts that are painful (how about turret kills in Capture and Hold)

As for new players, yes, the environment isn't exactly as helpful as it probably should be... but as for difficulty, the 5 dollar bundle would get you a decent gun of every type, so you can find the one you're most comfortable with. I recall that first Kinship Plaza being rough, but later found out it wasn't because I needed a group. It was that the threat level was high because others were there. Mods are also critical (and not just as a Barrel Mod pun) for things to die easy. Early on, this probably means limited viable weapon types, but later on, guns feel much more controlled as well as just a lot more fun.

For story/show connections, I found it to be fairly one directional, and yes, overstated or at least over-implied by the game advertising. The few game elements finding their way to the show being largely delayed (EGO units not mentioned for over a year).

However, I am nearly 5900 ego after only 2 months. It's definitely possible to get there. It will take much longer if you're strictly free-to-play, but that should be obvious. MMO's are grinds, and while some are better at early game than Defiance, the later on interactions and getting to know your fellow arkhunters, is well worth it.

konstantinov
07-11-2015, 02:21 PM
There should honestly be more than ~100 ego beyond the 6k that's obtainable so that people could skip parts that are painful (how about turret kills in Capture and Hold)

As for new players, yes, the environment isn't exactly as helpful as it probably should be... but as for difficulty, the 5 dollar bundle would get you a decent gun of every type, so you can find the one you're most comfortable with. I recall that first Kinship Plaza being rough, but later found out it wasn't because I needed a group. It was that the threat level was high because others were there. Mods are also critical (and not just as a Barrel Mod pun) for things to die easy. Early on, this probably means limited viable weapon types, but later on, guns feel much more controlled as well as just a lot more fun.

For story/show connections, I found it to be fairly one directional, and yes, overstated or at least over-implied by the game advertising. The few game elements finding their way to the show being largely delayed (EGO units not mentioned for over a year).

However, I am nearly 5900 ego after only 2 months. It's definitely possible to get there. It will take much longer if you're strictly free-to-play, but that should be obvious. MMO's are grinds, and while some are better at early game than Defiance, the later on interactions and getting to know your fellow arkhunters, is well worth it.

You can't hit 6k if you don't have DLCs. This has been well documented.

Yun
07-11-2015, 02:24 PM
As someone who has only gotten gold in like 3 of the thorn arenas and 1 of the gunslinger ones. Does getting a gold in co-op versions still count toward those pursuits? As finally after being here from the start and being around ego 2kish I'm now making the push to the higher ego levels and about 35 away from ego 4k.

Ray8888
07-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Over half of the Gunslinger Arenas are only Goldable with a team. You have to coop/group up.

SirServed
07-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Over half of the Gunslinger Arenas are only Goldable with a team. You have to coop/group up.
If I can Gold over half of them solo... Wait, what?

Ray8888
07-11-2015, 11:29 PM
I have solo golded...
Observatory
Dark Matter Bunker
Berk Academy
Matrons Nest

I have been unable to solo...
101 Keys
Ridgecrest Mines
DyDekusos Chamber
Arkfall Wreckage
Kent Docks

I have tried all angles. I even used a BMG. And I dont use BMGs. I have tried going in with two or three people with Desuko, Ridgecrest and Kent Docks (since that what most people need) and have not been able to gold them. At the very least 3/9 are not solo-able.

Free2play
07-11-2015, 11:48 PM
You guys know the OP is trolling right?

" character-customization setup that takes a godd*mn hour to get through"

"kith and Kinship. I probably died 20 or 30 times in that one fight alone."

Why this thread is still open , amazes me.

Dixie Cougar
07-12-2015, 01:22 AM
I have solo golded...
Observatory
Dark Matter Bunker
Berk Academy
Matrons Nest

I have been unable to solo...
101 Keys
Ridgecrest Mines
DyDekusos Chamber
Arkfall Wreckage
Kent Docks

I have tried all angles. I even used a BMG. And I dont use BMGs. I have tried going in with two or three people with Desuko, Ridgecrest and Kent Docks (since that what most people need) and have not been able to gold them. At the very least 3/9 are not solo-able.

From what I've heard, Dekuso is actually easier to gold on normal mode for some reason. I've done it on expert but there aren't quite enough enemies to achieve it reliably.

We would hook you up, but... platforms... yeah.

IrisaLover
07-12-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm now screwing around in the Eastern region of the map (like east of the Iron Demon ranch). The Doom zombies are gone; I'm now fighting raiders and hellbugs, and I got to meet Shondu and a Lawkeeper. I also got to scrap with four Volge (and kicked their arses) while I was trying to study a mutated plant. Finally, this game is starting to feel like it's actually set in the Defiance universe!

Neptuno
07-12-2015, 10:20 AM
You can't hit 6k if you don't have DLCs. This has been well documented.

And your point? I am just saying that you shouldn't need everything as in Season pursuits... If requiring DLC to do it is a Trion "requirement" then buff the points the DLC pursuits give you. That would address my point perfectly (and bump me up as I'm only missing a few Season 1 pursuits and a couple of Grid things)

If the DLC packs were doubled in EGO value, you'd be able to skip out on half the driving or the odd PVP ones that promote improper play.