PDA

View Full Version : Done with silly valley conflicts. They just don't make strategic sense.

crasher
07-19-2015, 07:05 PM
I get to the end of a silly valley conflict with a buncha players.
We finish it off.
I get the damage screen.

And I still have 0/1, or 0/5 on my pursuit window.

It just gets tedious.

And half the time the damned conflicts don't make any sense besides badguys spawning at random intervals (sometimes many many minutes apart) and just presenting targets with no apparent strategy.
I haven't met anyone yet who can define an efficient way to deal with most of them.

Regarding the Grid events specifically at Crystal Springs: They just seem too uncoordinated to bother with. Too much running around to get to targets that despawn when you get there.

Pacifica Temple with Guiding Light and other guiding light events are about the only ones that make sense doing.

I'm done with them, I don't care that they're in my pursuit anymore.

Ned Kelly
07-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Know how you feel. I generally just kill everything I can in the first wave then let them destroy the crystals, then blow up the evagels or however they're spelt. They IMO seem pointless, you get little score/rewards for the time invested.

Arcade
07-19-2015, 07:37 PM
They can sometimes be useful for mastering weapons, the "kill 5000 with X" pursuit, or back when I still needed skill training, but I wouldn't bother with these if they weren't mandatory for contracts. When they work, you can sometimes get a key or two quickly, but when they don't, you have just wasted your time running around killing weak enemies who never officially launch the invasion.

And the loot is just terrible even when they do work... the score is totally out of whack compared to every other event, so at most you'll be getting 2 keys no matter how many enemies you kill, and a 7th Legion weapon. But since I don't have 7th Legion, these items are useless to me.

Tex_Arcana
07-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Kill round one.
Then only hit major mobs in round two.
Let them convert the whatever they have to convert.
Destroy the thing.
Move on.

Soul Binder
07-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Kill round one.
Then only hit major mobs in round two.
Let them convert the whatever they have to convert.
Destroy the thing.
Move on.
Great strategy but often even if you kill everything you can find in round one, round two won't start.

Derailer
07-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Great strategy but often even if you kill everything you can find in round one, round two won't start.

The biggest issue is that two of the locations have enemy spawn points that very often get stuck inside of specific structures. With enough searching you can usually find where an enemy is stuck by seeing their life bar but you usually can't damage them in any way so the next round never happens.

Best method is too kill everything in round one. If you do that and it doesn't progress to round two just leave.

Next go to each of the main points one by one and let the enemies convert.

Then go and destroy what needs destroying.

I've often found that actually defending for all five rounds will lead to the entire objective not registering on contracts.

Valethar
07-20-2015, 01:17 AM
Another problem with them is that some spawn points can be in a vastly different part of the zone. While the mobs are traversing the intervening landscape, they are easily distracted by any Arkfalls, emergencies or other 'enemy' NPC activity and will stop what they're doing to fight other NPCs.

They also have a tendency to 'stall' and just sit around contemplating their navels, the meaning of life, or whatever happens to be floating around in their little AI heads, which means they never show up at the conflict/incursion they're supposed to be at. Sometimes you get lucky and the spawn location is close to the actual event, such as Port Bruno, and you can just wander over and steamroll them. In others, the spawn point is who knows where, and you're stuck standing around with nothing to shoot at.

I can't tell you how many times I've been traveling to an Arkfall in SV and come across a random spot in the ground where hellbugs are spawning for no apparent reason, and they're all marching off into the distance to whatever conflict site happens to belong to them. Of course, they won't get there, because the Grid or a minor will spawn somewhere between the bugs and the conflict, and they'll stop off to play with them instead.

SanCarioca
07-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Silicon Valley incursions never worked quite right. After a very long time since launch, Trion added descriptions, on the top of the screen, to the various stages the incursion must progress, but flaws like the ones described here prevent them from advancing smoothly, like we're used to, in Arkfalls.

Since they are daily contracts, I just keep looking at the map on SV. When the giant yellow circles turn light blue (like Sieges), then I drop there, quickly destroy the Evangels/Pheromone Extractors, register my daily and don't bother with them again until the next day.

It's a pity. SV conflicts seem to have been originally designed to attract legions of players strategically concentrated in different regions of the map, wave after wave of enemies. They would have been the "other open world event" players usually ask for. But I've done my share to comment on these events and it looks like Trion also gave up on them. Ever since SV launched, aside from the first week after that, I never attended a SV conflict with more than a few players. And most of the times, I do them alone.

What we really need is a Grid Major Arkfall as a standard event. We only have minors now. It would be a lot of fun to see Ark Inquisitors in the open world.

Valethar
07-20-2015, 01:47 AM
What we really need is a Grid Major Arkfall as a standard event. We only have minors now. It would be a lot of fun to see Ark Inquisitors in the open world.

Hell, if nothing else, it would allow us to finally complete those weeklies/pursuits that require Ark level Grid that can never be found.

I do much as you do. I knock them off as quickly as I can to complete the contracts, then generally don't worry about them again until the next day. I've been using the first stages as an excuse to level up some of my weapons, when the opportunity presents itself. A Wolfhound can be interesting if you can channel the mobs into a fatal funnel and just hammer them as they come through. :D

PithHelmetIrath
07-20-2015, 04:59 AM
Sooooo very glad I'm done with all of the season 2 Silicon Valley pursuits.. mercy.

Arkangyl
07-20-2015, 10:28 AM
*snip*

I agree and have thought the same thing. I'd also think that compared to creating 100% brand new content that this would be relatively easy for the team since no new art assets per se need to be created nor I suspect a lot of new code. They add holiday Majors so adding a Grid major could be fun and a nice change in the rotation. +1!

Arcade
07-20-2015, 11:36 AM

This is a great idea. The only time I've seen Ark Inquisitors outside of that one mission "The Passion of Somethingoranother" was during MM when there were enough high level players around for them to spawn during the last bonus waves of Control Grid. Now that was fun! If Trion ever decides to do a Grid Major, however, I hope they create a unique boss for it. The Inquisitors are more like Forges, Monarchs, Bulwarks, etc. IMO, just incredibly rare due to the lack of Grid arkfalls in general... they also don't have a "Destroy the Crystal" arkfall, which would have been another opportunity to see Inquisitors in action.

Maybe they'll be added in the next major patch... like when they decide to do a Grid Expedition perhaps.

Neptuno
07-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Well, you can solo queue into Season 2: Aftermath: The Passion of Melak Vor and find your Ark Grid mobs very easily.

Completing a round of the Incursion in SV is nice for double dipping toward contracts, but yeah, way to bugged.

Tex_Arcana
07-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, you can solo queue into Season 2: Aftermath: The Passion of Melak Vor and find your Ark Grid mobs very easily.

Completing a round of the Incursion in SV is nice for double dipping toward contracts, but yeah, way to bugged.

Passion of Melak Vor on expert: a few solo runs...done.
The Conflict pursuit is relatively easy for the ego rewards. Took me a week.
Now the Control Grid arkfalls on the other hand. That was a pain.

Tex_Arcana
07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
The Conflict pursuit is relatively easy for the ego rewards. Took me a week.

An addendum to the Conflict in a week comment: I found myself short of 14 Hellfire Conflicts, 10 99er Conflicts, and 10 Faith Conflicts when I reached the ego cap. So a total of 34 Conflicts were required to cap that out.
It was easy to achieve: One is already driving SV around searching for Grid Emergencies (to fill that pursuit) anyway...