PDA

View Full Version : The storyline

Escyos
02-14-2013, 02:11 AM
It occurred to me that some people may not know the full story of Defiance. Only public information is here, but from what we are told, the story becomes even bigger.

Approximately 5,000 years ago the Votan races learn that their solar system will be destroyed and they will all die out. The Indogene race design the arks and a suitable planet is searched for. Due to the doppler effect, the Votans view what they can of Earth, and due to the lack of any kind of industrial processes the planet appears to be uninhabited. So they pack up their people, animal and plant species and flee to Earth, leaving behind another Votan race for an unknown reason.

Either all of the Votans enter hypersleep for the journey or most of them due, where they would be subject to relativity and age only a few years instead of thousands. Sometime prior to 2000 Von Bach Industries is founded and launches a satellite into orbit, which detects the incoming ark fleet. The United Nations is apprised of the incoming ships and form the Earth Military Coalition, just in case the occupants turn out to be hostile, building underground bunkers with missile weaponry.

In 20003 Joshua Nolan is born. In 2011 Amanda Rosewater is born. In December 2012, information is leaked and that United Nations has to divulge the information about the incoming ships to the world. (Wonder how Christmas would have felt). On April 14th, 2013 the Votan arks arrive in orbit and the occupants are shocked to learn that Earth is inhabited. At some point the Votans are admitted into the United Nations. In 2015, a patch of land is set aside in Brazil for them but its not enough for the millions of Votans still on the arks.

Riots break out as people do not want the Votans on Earth. By 2022, negotiations begin to reach a finalization between the Humans and Votans. In 2023, a Votan diplomat is killed on live TV by a "humanity first" advocate and the Pale Wars begin. In 2025 fossil fuel reserves run low so more nuclear power plants are built. In 2030 the arks explode in orbit, forming the arkbelt and raining down hundreds of pieces on Earth, releasing the terraforming technology and beginning to change the planet.

Irathient farmers move into the area that was St Louis. Meanwhile in San Francisco the Battle of Defiance is fought, where Human and Votan soldiers refuse to follow orders and instead band together to help civilians. A massive terraforming blast occurs in San Francisco releasing tach-mag energy and radiation and changing the landscape. In 2031, the Earth Military Coalition is disbanded, however some soldiers in the Bay Area are exposed to radiation becoming mutated and still resentful of the alien invaders.

The Earth Republic is formed and an armistice is signed between them and the Votanis Collective, ending the Pale Wars. In 2033, Gulanite is discovered near St Louis and the town of Defiance springs up over the next three years, becoming official in 2037. The community of Paradise in the Bay Area is formed in 2035. In 2046 Von Bach gets his hands on an Ark-core and goes to the Bay Area to find the Ark-matrix and the Ark-cell, and use them to start up a terra-spire, using what he learns to fix Earth.

When travelling to the Bay Area the Earth Republic's Stratocarrier (a ship), New Freedom, is mysteriously shot down and Von Bach goes missing. Some time later Joshua Nolan and Irisa help locate the Gem, a piece of Votan technology. Nolan tricks a fellow ark hunter into believing that he handed it over but instead he takes it himself. Nolan and Irisa track an arkfall where they use the gem to take an orb from a piece of the arkfall. They take the orb and either go to or are passing through the town of Defiance. Here the town is attacked by the Volge, a race of automatons, and Nolan helps them resist them, using the orb to power something. Nolan is elected as the Chief Lawkeeper.

dreminon
02-14-2013, 05:03 AM
you did a nice job putting that together.

Xannidel
02-14-2013, 05:38 AM
A silly question but how will this game's lore mix with the tv show exactly? Is the TV show like a prequel or something like that?

Zhyr
02-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Thanks for that!
I've been wondering about how everything happened since it hasn't really been explained in the things I've watched

DuoMaxwell007
02-14-2013, 06:03 AM
A silly question but how will this game's lore mix with the tv show exactly? Is the TV show like a prequel or something like that?

no they are at the same time the tv show is just in st louis and the game is in san fransisco and at some points the two intersect (i,e characters from the tv show going to the game and vice versa)

Rikochet
02-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Not a prequel per se. The show is taking place mostly around the city of ST Louis (now called Defiance) while the game takes place around the San Fransisco area. The game and the show happen at the same time, and you can see effects from events from the game in the show and vice versa. Also some characters will travel "between" the game and show, characters like Joshua Nolan for example. In other words, you may meet Nolan in the game, only to see him take off in his vehicle, and then in that weeks show you'll see him enter Defiance in that same vehicle.

Letus
02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Who would have thought that a history lesson could be fun :confused: ?
Good job on this Escyos, helped a great deal putting together the various pieces I've read about or seen in video releases.

Darktide
02-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Great to read this. I always love hearing about back ground history.

Makes the game and tv show sound very rich and promising.

Weregarurumon
02-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Awesome post. I knew the general idea of what has happened but I wasn't sure of the whole time line. Thanks for this.

Sdric
02-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the summary.
Sounds quite interesting, there's a lot they can make out of it.
Let's hope this game and it's TV show will be popular enough to make something out of it.
I'm starving for a good new SciFi-series , sad enough they don't plan to continue "BSG:Blood and Chrome".

Xannidel
02-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Not a prequel per se. The show is taking place mostly around the city of ST Louis (now called Defiance) while the game takes place around the San Fransisco area. The game and the show happen at the same time, and you can see effects from events from the game in the show and vice versa. Also some characters will travel "between" the game and show, characters like Joshua Nolan for example. In other words, you may meet Nolan in the game, only to see him take off in his vehicle, and then in that weeks show you'll see him enter Defiance in that same vehicle.

no they are at the same time the tv show is just in st louis and the game is in san fransisco and at some points the two intersect (i,e characters from the tv show going to the game and vice versa)

Thank you fellows for the fast response, that is equally awesome and makes me more excited to watch the show.

KingKopro
02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Thank you for this post. Its always nice to know the lore of a game you are playing.

Rikochet
02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Thank you fellows for the fast response, that is equally awesome and makes me more excited to watch the show.

Anytime :D

And I may add that the show will sometimes develop according to how players have deal with certain in-game things, I mean, we may occasionally have the power to influence the direction of the show!

Midniteryu
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
A question about the story if anybody know, what was the cause of the creation of the Arkbelt or is that something yet to be revealed?

Smitch
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
A question about the story if anybody know, what was the cause of the creation of the Arkbelt or is that something yet to be revealed?

The cause is the explosion of all the Ark ships...Still with millions of Votans in hypersleep on board...which happened mysteriously. Arkfalls are fragments of these highly advanced ships raining down, and can contain technology that is highly sought after.

UmbrusNightshade
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for posting this Escyos. It really helped me flesh out the lore better.

TR GunPlay
03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Awesome job man, thank you

PeaceMaker
03-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Congratz amazing job putting everything together from bits of bits of info. was also a "Dam Good Read".

Xyr3s
03-26-2013, 03:32 AM
well urs def has more info than mine :D mine was jsut a summary of sorts lol.... is this stickied??? if not it should be :) cheers!

rw_bowman
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Just some corrections probably, due to the speed of light they saw the earth as it was thousands of years ago? The hypersleep would have nothing to do with relativity. Hope they didn't put that out there poor science research on there part if they did.