PDA

View Full Version : If there is one thing I can pick on, why so Boarderlands?

Rousel
02-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Hello there Forum,

In all truth there is very little that I an pick on when it comes to this game, it is great through and through and a amazing addition to all the platforms it is going to grace and while I am loving the game and I do love the style when all nit-picking is put to a side, I do feel that there are elements from Boarderlands that feel to stand out a little too much.

One of them is our very title, "Ark Hunters", not a whole lot different from "Vault Hunters" and more so when you think that we are the badass powerful guys.

My second notice in this is when it comes to the EGO system and a certain form of Guidance that smells a lot like the Guardian from Boarderlands.

And on a final note, the whole Elemental weapon system is so badly smelling of Boarderlands, now do not mistake me, I love both games, but when I want to play Boarderlands, I play Boarderlands and nothing else, but this is me having to search my soul and the meaning of life for me to even come up with this issue, or as many would think, it's not even a issue.

But still, why so Boarderlands?

((I am fully aware of the NDA and I have not broke it, all sources here are easily found in many fan-sites, live streams by Trion and the likes.))

Seshatar
02-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Borderlands was very successfull and my first thought was also Defiance = Borderlands online. But I think it's okay, because game story is not the same and there are some differences in story etc.

It also reminds me a little bit on Mad Max (especially the trailer) and the series looks like Firefly 2.

But what is not ok to copy some elements of successful games/series? There is a "Game A" in every "Game B". ;)

Sdric
02-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Rule 1:
If something is awesome, copy it.

Rule 2:
Improve it.

Rule 3:
Repeat for more variety.

=> Evolution.

E/: Sidenote
Evolution: Mixing CoD and CS -> BF2
Devolution: Adopting barn-door sized crosshairs from CoD and adding them to BF2
End E/
----
Being influenced by several games is not a bad thing.
What is wrong about using the knowledge and experience of others to improve your own project?

In the end it's the customer who profits from it.

Where would we be today if nobody had copied the idea of making a mobile- a smartphone?

Letus
02-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Personally I would be less annoyed by advertisers with no respect invading my privacy by sending me unsolicited text advertising.
Thankfully my provider doesn't charge me for incoming texts.

Rikochet
02-14-2013, 06:33 AM
I dont really agree, I havent played Defiance myself but it does'nt feel like BORDERlands to me at all. Sure the whole western-SCIFI mix might be somewhat similar but overall, the story, the setting, the graphics and the characters the way they talk and move dont seem reminiscent of borderlands at all. Some aspects may be of similar kind but I think the 2 games stand apart more than they seem similar. I think you will agree with me once we actually get to play the game.

Warhead
02-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Borderlands is awesome. I am glad it shares some of Borderlands more fun aspects.

Weregarurumon
02-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Borderlands is awesome. I am glad it shares some of Borderlands more fun aspects.

I agree. If it was going to use a game to mimic, Borderlands 2 is def a good choice. Like previous commentaries, the game does have a feel of BL2, but is much more different than similar.

Rampermt
02-14-2013, 07:10 AM
IMO most games take ideas from other games and put their own personal spin on them. Many things in Defiance have been done before but at least for us console players (correct me if I'm wrong) we have never had a shooter MMO, which in itself to me is freaking awesome.

Tat2uze
02-14-2013, 07:38 AM
It is very reminiscent of borderlands. In the live stream there is a black sheriff with a cowboy hat that reminds me of sir hammerlock. That being said, there is more different than similar and to me it feels nothing like a knock off. Maybe just a little inspired.

Rousel
02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I think maybe people have read too much into how I think of the game in the terms of Defiance/ Boarderlands, but there is a unmistakable mirror reflection, again pushing out the point of the EGO guide, well, that is almost still dripping in Boarderlands-ness in how rawly copied it is, I fully relize yes, they are different games and I am not making this into a big issue, it is more meant to be a "Hay, look, they are kind of the same.", also the looting system is a lot of the same, mobs spilling out their goods all over the floor, keep hold to equip it, press to pick it up, annoying inventory slots and a whole bunch of stuff.

Midniteryu
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
I haven't played Defiance yet, but from what I've seen from the gameplay trailers it can be a first impression that the game is Borderlandish. However, after reading into some articles about the game I think it only looks like Borderlands and play quite differently.

Super_Jagerman
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
1) Ark Hunters vs Vault Hunters - Names are close but what else would you call them? Alien Tech Raiders? But I can see what you mean sorta.

2) Guidence - Most games have this wether it be a Fairy in Zelda, Cortana in Halo, any military game via headset/codec

3) Elemental Guns - Other games have had this as well before Borderlands, just not as prominant.

Yes, may have things like Borderlands but Borderlands is a awesome series (DLC for BL2, not so much, another Gearbox Outsource like that Aliens game that bombed). Nothing wrong taking ideas and improving on them. Borderlands wasn't the first nor will Defiance be last to use these ideas.

Hope
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
It also reminds me a little bit on Mad Max (especially the trailer) and the series looks like Firefly 2.
Yup, it definitely has a Firefly vibe to it, it's one of the reasons I look forward to both the game and the show.

Also, the Borderlands "influence" is pretty obvious, but that's not a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all. :)

Rousel
02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Super_Jagerman;30925]

2) Guidence - Most games have this wether it be a Fairy in Zelda, Cortana in Halo, any military game via headset/codec

QUOTE]

To this point, yes, but no other has a virtual A.I in your head and hacks computer systems to help you nevigate the world.

Bee
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Super_Jagerman;30925]

QUOTE]

To this point, yes, but no other has a virtual A.I in your head and hacks computer systems to help you nevigate the world.

Raiden did from MGS.

I think Portal did as well.

I think Master Chief had one.

And Angel was an actual person,and tons of games have that.

Also, Elemental weapons have been around for ages, all starting with the flamethrower.

Rousel
02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Rousel;30939]

Raiden did from MGS.

I think Portal did as well.

I think Master Chief had one.

And Angel was an actual person,and tons of games have that.

Also, Elemental weapons have been around for ages, all starting with the flamethrower.

Bee, Opening cans of kick-as$ since 2013. >;P

Hydron
02-14-2013, 11:35 AM
I think they said development for Defiance started more than 5 years ago in one of the more recent videos. This would have been before the original Borderlands even came out. Just sayin

Rizzlok
02-14-2013, 11:43 AM
it does have a borderlands feel to this game but thats the best part i can satisfy my lust for loot and exp

Dekar
02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I think the real question is, who WOULDN'T want a Borderlands mmo? :D If defiance does it first and better then who cares? Plus the story is WAY more grounded. I'm sure there will be humor but not "BADASS CRATER OF BADASSITUDE" kind of humor.

Rousel
02-14-2013, 01:05 PM
I think the real question is, who WOULDN'T want a Borderlands mmo? :D If defiance does it first and better then who cares? Plus the story is WAY more grounded. I'm sure there will be humor but not "BADASS CRATER OF BADASSITUDE" kind of humor.

I'm not saying, nor have I stated it to be good or bad, I've simply asked, why so Borderlands.

Rizzlok
02-14-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not saying, nor have I stated it to be good or bad, I've simply asked, why so Borderlands.

one of the devs said he played borderlands maybe that led to it?

Archangel
02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Defiance is a stand alone game in many aspects and is a pioneer game in the fact its releasing a TV show at the same time in the same universe and will have interactions between them. This is ground breaking.

But i would agree with what some have already pointed out.

The game "looks like" Firefly had a love child with Borderlands and out came Defiance.

Heck the intro to every Firefly episode talks about how the world is all dried up. So man went out into space to teraform other planets. This feels a lot like the aliens who's planet got destroyed and went out looking for a new home and found us.

But this is not a bad thing. Both game and show are awesome and Defiance feels awesome. It has its own identity and once release comes, we'll all start talking about how a company was able to successfully create a 3rd person shooter on the MMO scale for the first time ever.

Personally i am happy to be apart of this ground breaking game and it excites me to wonder what other game developers will copy from this experience and how shooter mmos in the future will pan out.

beaming
02-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Gonna add my 2 cents here. This game resembling alot of borderlands isnt a bad thing. In my opinion its gonna be what borderlands 2 should have been. Not the whole mmo aspect. But lets face it. Bl2 was good but was way overhyped. Bl2 could have been an excellent game. Defiance will be an excellent game. And i cant wait to play it for the ps3. But this topic is kinda pointless because most good games are reminiscent of a past game diablo being borderlands. Lol

Jamesdanex
02-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Hello there Forum,

In all truth there is very little that I an pick on when it comes to this game, it is great through and through and a amazing addition to all the platforms it is going to grace and while I am loving the game and I do love the style when all nit-picking is put to a side, I do feel that there are elements from Boarderlands that feel to stand out a little too much.

One of them is our very title, "Ark Hunters", not a whole lot different from "Vault Hunters" and more so when you think that we are the badass powerful guys.

My second notice in this is when it comes to the EGO system and a certain form of Guidance that smells a lot like the Guardian from Boarderlands.

And on a final note, the whole Elemental weapon system is so badly smelling of Boarderlands, now do not mistake me, I love both games, but when I want to play Boarderlands, I play Boarderlands and nothing else, but this is me having to search my soul and the meaning of life for me to even come up with this issue, or as many would think, it's not even a issue.

But still, why so Boarderlands?

((I am fully aware of the NDA and I have not broke it, all sources here are easily found in many fan-sites, live streams by Trion and the likes.))

If you're a fan of borderlands, who cares... its a borderlands mmo, and will be worth sinking the money and time into it. :)

Jamesdanex
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Rule 1:
If something is awesome, copy it.

Rule 2:
Improve it.

Rule 3:
Repeat for more variety.

=> Evolution.

E/: Sidenote
Evolution: Mixing CoD and CS -> BF2
Devolution: Adopting barn-door sized crosshairs from CoD and adding them to BF2
End E/
----
Being influenced by several games is not a bad thing.
What is wrong about using the knowledge and experience of others to improve your own project?

In the end it's the customer who profits from it.

Where would we be today if nobody had copied the idea of making a mobile- a smartphone?

This simple formula is why call of duty stays so close to home with its new games.

DefiantFury
02-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Borderlands is a great game and I'm glad Defiance mimics many of its strong points. The gameplay, the guns, the loot. I really hope Trion understands we want loot loot loot in Defiance.

Duskky
02-14-2013, 10:04 PM
It is very reminiscent of borderlands. In the live stream there is a black sheriff with a cowboy hat that reminds me of sir hammerlock. That being said, there is more different than similar and to me it feels nothing like a knock off. Maybe just a little inspired.

Inspired I thought that as well when watching the trailers. Such a better way to put it then what others are saying.

Rousel
02-15-2013, 03:19 AM
I do wish in this topic people would stop putting words in my.. text box, I've never once said it's bad, I'm just pointing out the fact and letting people talk about it and that is the point of this topic, just saying. :D

Midniteryu
02-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Defiance is going to be a awesome game none the less.