PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions following guide reading

KraakenDazs
08-16-2015, 07:04 PM
'Evening all!

I'm very new to the game, just installed it, and ive taken a few hours to peruse all of the newbie guides around, and ran around the tutorial so far to test it out. I decided i like it well enough to give it a fair shot, not to mention i've been enjoying the show since it's beginning.

I'm having a few issues however, and as i'm a newbie, i'm hoping more experienced ark hunters could tip me off.

1- I've read up on the 120 ''Newbies should enter'' arkfall codes, attempted redeeming a few, read a few more posts, and it's been hinted that they are currently disabled. Can anyone give me the definitive on their current status and what my options are towards them? Are *any of them currently working?

2- I'm liking the graphics and interface and the 3rd person shooter thing... i kinda want to encourage the game, and gear myself up a bit so i'm willing to spend a bit. What DLCs, shop items, patron passes or arkhunter bundles would you recommend getting for early game appreciation? Suppose i want to drop 20-40 bucks on it or so, and if all goes well, ill get the remainder DLC in the future.

3-Anything else you recommend a shiny new player try out? Or rookie mistakes to avoid?

Enormous thank you to anyone of you that is willing to assist. I'm hoping i'm not (already!) breaking terms of the forums with my newbie questions, but as i said, i did try to take the time to read up before jumping in and asking stuff. ;)

Midnight
08-16-2015, 07:13 PM
'Evening all!

I'm very new to the game, just installed it, and ive taken a few hours to peruse all of the newbie guides around, and ran around the tutorial so far to test it out. I decided i like it well enough to give it a fair shot, not to mention i've been enjoying the show since it's beginning.

I'm having a few issues however, and as i'm a newbie, i'm hoping more experienced ark hunters could tip me off.

1- I've read up on the 120 ''Newbies should enter'' arkfall codes, attempted redeeming a few, read a few more posts, and it's been hinted that they are currently disabled. Can anyone give me the definitive on their current status and what my options are towards them? Are *any of them currently working?

2- I'm liking the graphics and interface and the 3rd person shooter thing... i kinda want to encourage the game, and gear myself up a bit so i'm willing to spend a bit. What DLCs, shop items, patron passes or arkhunter bundles would you recommend getting for early game appreciation? Suppose i want to drop 20-40 bucks on it or so, and if all goes well, ill get the remainder DLC in the future.

3-Anything else you recommend a shiny new player try out? Or rookie mistakes to avoid?

Enormous thank you to anyone of you that is willing to assist. I'm hoping i'm not (already!) breaking terms of the forums with my newbie questions, but as i said, i did try to take the time to read up before jumping in and asking stuff. ;)

1. Those codes were deactivated sometime after Season one was over

2. See if you can find an unused copy of the game for cheap, best value for your money there

3. No matter how good a weapon/shield you get early on, do not try to bring it up in level with you as you go up. Instead, as you level up past your weapon by a couple hundred EGO find a new one to use. Check the vendors for specials that you can buy that suit your playstyle when you need to upgrade. Scrip is easier to earn than arkforge.

Cobra Crusher
08-16-2015, 07:14 PM
No the codes dont work. Only some of the season 3 tv show codes still work now. If your gonna spend that much on dlc you might as well buy the season pass.

Mrdr
08-16-2015, 07:19 PM
You'll want more inventory. 35 will fill up too quickly. And you're already ahead of the curve by joining the forums. Ask anything you want and you'll get tons of answers. :)

Crack
08-16-2015, 07:23 PM
You should post up what platform you play on...someone on here would be more than happy to hit you up in game and show you the ropes. =)

KraakenDazs
08-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Hehe so many speedy replies, thanks!

I'm on PC using a controller pad. I've looked around online for some cheap collector or old editions of the physical game but no luck (unless there's a way to recover the codes right away).
So far I've installed the game through Steam for convenience and because their banner today made me go ''What the hell, that show's pretty cool, let's try out the game'' :P

While I'd rather NOT ruin my wallet, i don't really mind spending a smidge more to ''jump in'' right away with stuff that will make the game more enjoyable, but I'm a bit reticent to splurge on the season pass on a game I've spent only a couple of hours on just yet, which prompted my earlier questions of what should i get first. :)

Crack
08-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Hehe so many speedy replies, thanks!

I'm on PC using a controller pad. I've looked around online for some cheap collector or old editions of the physical game but no luck (unless there's a way to recover the codes right away).
So far I've installed the game through Steam for convenience and because their banner today made me go ''What the hell, that show's pretty cool, let's try out the game'' :P

While I'd rather NOT ruin my wallet, i don't really mind spending a smidge more to ''jump in'' right away with stuff that will make the game more enjoyable, but I'm a bit reticent to splurge on the season pass on a game I've spent only a couple of hours on just yet, which prompted my earlier questions of what should i get first. :)

Please hold...a PC clan leader will be with you shortly. Lol

KraakenDazs
08-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Lol.

I was able to find a few copies of the game on amazon. I'm canadian and (other than my biological need to apologize for everything) i was able to find either 5bucks regular copies, or 40 bucks collector, shipping included. Are any of them worth the buy and the wait? Are any of the rewards and unlocks particularly awesome?

Well, to be fair, that hellbug figurine looks pretty cool. :P

Crack
08-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Lol.

I was able to find a few copies of the game on amazon. I'm canadian and (other than my biological need to apologize for everything) i was able to find either 5bucks regular copies, or 40 bucks collector, shipping included. Are any of them worth the buy and the wait? Are any of the rewards and unlocks particularly awesome?

I bought mine day one so I cant remember what came with what, but I do know that any version that has the unused code is worth it.

Johnny Stranger
08-16-2015, 09:50 PM
fellow Canadian, here is a link to defiance data...your one stop shop for just about everything you need to know about the game...http://www.defiancedata.com/guides.php this is the guides page but loads and loads of other useful info including data recorder locations ...Welcome !!!!

KraakenDazs
08-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Awesome!

as i'm playing a bit more, im getting a few more questions:

The perks. I have a few i can now pick. Should i make unoptimized choices, can they be respecced or regained in any way?

JOCCO5150
08-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Lol.

Nice bag too, and art book

Atticus Batman
08-17-2015, 12:41 AM
Wow nobody told you were to find the currently active EGO codes? They expire after like 3 weeks, so I think only the ones typed in green are valid but can't remember. Either way I know some are expired so you can't get all of them or the final outfit but it is still good to enter the ones that do work. So here is a link to that thread: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?216549-Season-Three-Community-EGO-Code-Expedition

As others have said by a copy of the game. All bought copies give you over double the inventory space F2P has, another 3 loadouts, and more keycode capacity. Some copies of course give you extra goodies on top of that. Here's a link to their Q n A that says what game owners have and what F2P has. It is not completely accurate anymore but does give you a good idea of why it is good to buy the game and enter it's owner code. (Btw you do not need to ever use the gamedisc, just enter the code that came with the disc.)
https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/203374298-Defiance-Free-to-Play-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Nice bag too, and art book

It also came with the soundtrack, postcards and some dumb VBI contract. Btw the Collector's edition did not come with a tote bag. The Ultimate edition did.

Collector's Edition:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/201564_CELG.jpg

Ultimate Edition:
http://defiance.game-guide.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/DEFIANCE_UEditionLG.jpg

KraakenDazs
08-17-2015, 02:30 AM
you guys are great!! Thanks so much!

So i ordered myself a 6$ copy of the main game for the added inventory and loadout slots after some consideration. Could have probably paid even less by picking a non-canadian seller, but then i would only have received it by september. Also got myself the Adapted Ark Hunter bundle, so i could try out all the weapon types and get a few days to assess the game a bit more. :P

Time to use the server downtime for some extra crunching on some of those guides.

-Is there any way to really ''screw over'' a character? Like making bad choices early on that will hinder you long term?

-I'm still willing to spend about 20$ more for the time being for a game i'm probably going to invest some time in, but still undecided to how hardcore i'll be willing to play ...are any of the dlcs worth it early in the game? All of them? Is buying the season pass for the extras that much more worth it than buying them individually? (Besides the 20% off rebate, ofc)

Atticus Batman
08-17-2015, 03:16 AM
you guys are great!! Thanks so much!

So i ordered myself a 6$ copy of the main game for the added inventory and loadout slots after some consideration. Could have probably paid even less by picking a non-canadian seller, but then i would only have received it by september. Also got myself the Adapted Ark Hunter bundle, so i could try out all the weapon types and get a few days to assess the game a bit more. :P

Time to use the server downtime for some extra crunching on some of those guides.

-Is there any way to really ''screw over'' a character? Like making bad choices early on that will hinder you long term?

-I'm still willing to spend about 20$ more for the time being for a game i'm probably going to invest some time in, but still undecided to how hardcore i'll be willing to play ...are any of the dlcs worth it early in the game? All of them? Is buying the season pass for the extras that much more worth it than buying them individually? (Besides the 20% off rebate, ofc)

Screw up a character? Not really. Although you will feel underpowered in high threat level events. You eventually get enough perk points to max out all the perks and abilities in game. You just can't invest in the 15 DLC perks until you buy that DLC. However you can respect whenever you want if you have enough of the correct currency to reset the power/perk grid.

Your weapons and shields will always be most effective at your EGO level. So it is best to either constantly upgrade their level as you level, or just use whatever weapons drop closest to your EGO level. I suggest the last option, as maintaining your gear's EGO levels is quite pricey since it takes a lot of arkforge and that is not easy to get in high amounts unless you buy it with real money, which I don't do. I prefer to only use the Arkforge that I earn.

Btw if it is just the standard nightly server restart then it only takes about 5 minutes.

SaikoTeek
08-17-2015, 03:27 AM
I bought everything individually, but it's a better value in the long run to just get them all at once. You still have plenty of time to make that decision being new. The copy of the game was the most important purchase starting out.

There isn't a lot in the bit store worth buying that would help you much right now. If you want to drop $10 on a 30 day patron pass for the boosts and extra scrip n arkforge, that might be your best bet.

You can't really screw over your character, only your own wallet with bad decisions. The easiest way to avoid that is don't try to rush getting great gear too early. Stay away from orange stuff for now, because maintenance will break you since you will level too fast to keep up. Purple stuff will as well. As others have said, stay with blue and green weapons and Shields and just keep swapping them out e ery few hundred ego. It'll save the u a lot of headaches. Most vets have made that mistake. We know what we're talking about.

Just enjoy the game.e and ha e fun. Get into a good plan and they can help you out tremendously with passing you gear and helping w pursuits. Buildings ng a solid social network will also help you later on when you need better stuff.

Crack
08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Just like a few players have stated, stay away from the high tier rarity gear for awhile. Trion didnt make the game very noob friendly when it comes to keeping gear upgraded to your current ego. It takes 75 ark forge to raise gear ego 100 points, and as a new player that could take days to get by playing (unless you buy it in the in-game store at $20 per 500). You level up in EGO very quickly as a new player and in a matter of a few hours of playing you'll have out grown your gear. If you are e1000, your e20~e700 gear is pretty much useless. I always tell the new players that about e4000 is when the ego grinding begins and thats about the time you could start investing in the good stuff.

Keziah
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Welcome to Defiance, Kraaken. :)

I personally bought all the DLC's around (I think) 2000-3000 ego. I bought them all at different times. In a run of a month. I would've went with the Season pass. But, I didn't know about it until I ended up buying all five. If you were planning on buying all of them, go with the Season pass. You save money. They are all worth it!

If you're wanting to see the Ego codes for Season three click this link: http://www.defiancedata.com/egocodes.php
There's three still active. Every Friday there's a new one. I saved the Ego code link into my bookmarks so I can keep checking back on Friday night's.
UNITY
BUTCHER
TSUROZ

I'm assuming you're probably looking for a decent clan that could offer you some help. The clan index for PC's is here:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?97368-Clan-Index

If you play on NA I would suggest asking to join Cronus. I play on PS3. But, I still hear about their amazing clan. If I was ever thinking about switching to PC that's the first clan that would come to my mind to join. That's just me though!
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?158247-Cronus-Recruitement

The best site for all of Defiance info is http://www.defiancedata.com/
If your ever looking for something make sure you look there first!
Good luck & happy ark hunting!
:D

Tex_Arcana
08-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Kraaken, if you're looking for a Clan feel free to check in with ours: "Consortium".
We have several Canukleheads including myself.
Lot's of good, solid folks that will help you forge your way through the game.
Look up Solicea, Dixie Cougar, Soulstrom or shoot me a line ingame.