PDA

View Full Version : Omec incest - no thanks

Carnak
08-22-2015, 09:44 PM
I've always enjoyed and spoken very highly of the TV show, apart from the awful pilot episode. But as the third season nears an end I find myself not only not caring if it gets renewed for a fourth but hoping it doesn't. And it's because of just one thing - its portrayal of parent-child incest.

It was unpleasant from the moment it started but when introduced the incest was being committed by a villainous bunch who enslave and eat other sentient races and had nefarious plans for Earth and its human and votan inhabitants. So by association it was sort of cast in a negative light.

But T'evgin later turned out to be a good guy ... who was still BLEEP'ing his daughter. So where is that supposed to leave incest?

I don't know what the producers' views on it are but I'm left feeling very uneasy about Defiance because of this. This isn't a matter of my being closed-minded and needing to allow science fiction to broaden my point of view and be more tolerant. Parent-child incest in the real world is undeniably horrific and to see it portrayed on television in an even potentially neutral light is deeply troubling.

This is where Defiance the game loses by association with the TV show. Formerly I'd enjoyed the show but not the game, because of certain bugs which made it almost impossible to play. I'm delighted to find those bugs are finally gone and I can actually play the game only to be turned off the IP because of this.

Belle Starr
08-22-2015, 10:29 PM
I guess I'm confused because I don't see how incest was portrayed in a "neutral light" at all! I mean, the daughter is portrayed as somewhat mentally deranged and ends up murdering her father, neither one a neutral or good thing! Furthermore, the whole race is cannibalistic and slavers, also not neutral or good things! :confused:

I could be wrong I guess, but I don't think the writers of the Defiance show are advocating incest, slavery, or cannibalism, nor promoting them as normal! They were trying to shock and horrify us as to the Omec, and I think it certainly worked in your case (mine too to tell the truth)! As you said, the Omec are a "villanous bunch" with "nefarious plans for Earth"! One way to make that point is have them engage in taboo behavior, like incest, slavery, and cannibalism! :)

https://31.media.tumblr.com/c7c9429f5f25f187daa6634a191abc6d/tumblr_mzo297p8as1tpv41ho1_500.gif

Escyos
08-22-2015, 11:18 PM
They are an alien race that seems not to have that kind of taboo in their culture. They were alone for who knows how many years, taking comfort in one another doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Also, maybe T'evgin was not Kindzi's biological father, the other Omec referred to him as the AllFather and Kindzi as AllMother and T'evgin called the Omec his family and his children. Datak did refer to the Omec falling to inbreeding quickly, so maybe they are all related but rather broadly.

I understand not wanting something you don't like (who does though?) on a tv show, but I don't think they are portraying it in a neutral light as clearly it caused a weird relationship between them that lead to her killing him.

Big Jack Shepard
08-23-2015, 03:56 AM
Incest is repulsive to us. As it should be. We have significant evolutionary and biological reasons for avoiding incestuous relations.

The Omec are a fictional non-terrestrial species that aren't beholden to your moral convictions. The writers could easily say that inter-breeding produces stronger Omec. Deal with that.

Yun
08-23-2015, 04:35 AM
Yes to us it's morally wrong, but it's also part of our history. Follow your ancestors back far enough and you'll probably find examples of it as we are all descended from some other nationality. Royalty used to engage in such practices to keep their bloodline pure.

It's even in nature as animals would do it to keep their species alive as to them there are no morals just instinct. So for the most part as they keep referring to the Omec as predators they almost make it seem like they want us to view them as animals and that it's in their nature.

Lost in Space
08-23-2015, 04:45 AM
What i d,nt understand is the very 1st show are the 2nd the omec explain what they are, now my answer to that explanation would have been a bullet to the head are whatever it takes to kill an omec. I mean who whould let a race who eat are enslave every other race they encounter. But defiance is like f it how bad could they be.

Lost in Space
08-23-2015, 04:49 AM
What i d,nt understand is the very 1st show are the 2nd the omec explain what they are, now my answer to that explanation would have been a bullet to the head are whatever it takes to kill an omec. I mean who whould let a race who eat are enslave every other race they encounter live, but defiance is like f it how bad could they be.

Kershek
08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm not entirely convinced they were genetically father and daughter. There's phrases thrown about like "all mother" and "all father" which may not be genetic, and in episode 12 there was the point made that they needed enough genetic diversity to survive long term. It could be a term for hierarchy. Of course, we have no idea how they procreate or if there's genetic tampering involved.

cyguy
08-26-2015, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with the whole comparing human culture to an alien culture. Just like in the real world, different culture - different traditions and so on. Anyways, I wouldn't let it get to you too much. It's just a tv show.

Valethar
08-29-2015, 06:37 PM
There's absolutely zero proof in any of the episodes of any biological relationship between Kindzi and T'evgin.

T'evgin was the figurative 'father' of the Omec, just as Kindzi took on the role of the 'mother' when she killed T'evgin and usurped his place in the hierarchy. This would not be the first time a given warrior culture appeared in fiction or history in such a manner, where all of the children of the group were raised in a communal nature, with the adults referred to as 'father' or 'mother' respectively, regardless of who the actual biological parents were.