PDA

View Full Version : 3 things that bug me

Ashlocke
09-06-2015, 02:12 AM
These are 3 things that have really been bugging me lately.

1) Top of the list most annoying thing. The random minimizing to desktop of the game. It tends to happen right as I'm knee deep in a gunfight.

2) When the server starts crapping out and showing me mobs intermittently, they wink in and out of existence. During arkfalls my score across the board reads all zeros. As if I never participated, even though the reward window pops up and my name appears on the score board. It's almost like the one that's winking in and out of existence is me rather than the mobs so the server treats me like I just showed up every time I wink back in.

3) This one is specific to the Monolith Dark Matter event. Three times now this has happened to me where at the very end the huge explosion that knocks you a mile out of the park has knocked me so far out that when the reward screen pops up, the game considers me outside of the event and ***I GET NOTHING***
No reward screen, no nothing at all.

I get that they changed things a while back to prevent people from tagging an event and leaving to tag several other events, so now you HAVE to be within the area of the event to get credit for it, but this is just ridiculous.

Here's an idea, add a timer, say 60 seconds. If you leave the area you are still considered part of the event for 60 seconds, the timer resets to 0 once you re-enter the area. Why is this a good idea? Because it will not only prevent what I just described, but folks who die near the end of the event and no one will revive them have a chance to extract and run back to the event site and if the event ends while they are running back, they will still get credit for everything they did.

Keeper Riff
09-06-2015, 02:58 AM
1. Have you tried general things to fix it?

In Win Vista or in 7 you can set the option "Disable Desktop Composition" on Compatibility tab of application's properties. Win 8 and higher does not have this option (bastards).
It usually helps to disable all effects on System Properties -> Performance tab. Just set it to "Maximum Performance" and then set back those particular options you really need like Cleartype.
Try disabling the Windows key while you're playing Defiance. It's really easy to press Win+D instead of Alt+D and Win+D is a Windows "show desktop" command.
Check for any other software you might run in background that may wait for other keyboard shortcuts and interpret them as a command for stealing focus from the current Full-screen application thus minimizing it. It easily could be some harmless software like Mouse/Touchpad configuration program, Volume Control application from your sound driver, etc.

3. Just call the vehicle and get in before the Monolith explodes.

Sir Dan
09-06-2015, 04:50 AM
Sorry, but i'm lmao about the monolith thing.
Just run away from the monolith. Run to the ark core that is opposite it and hide behind it. You will be out of the explosion, but inside event circle.

Cassiopia
09-06-2015, 05:40 AM
When u see the monolith has been destroyed get in your vehicle, then u don't go flying.

Ashlocke
09-06-2015, 06:05 AM
1. Have you tried general things to fix it?

In Win Vista or in 7 you can set the option "Disable Desktop Composition" on Compatibility tab of application's properties. Win 8 and higher does not have this option (bastards).
It usually helps to disable all effects on System Properties -> Performance tab. Just set it to "Maximum Performance" and then set back those particular options you really need like Cleartype.
Try disabling the Windows key while you're playing Defiance. It's really easy to press Win+D instead of Alt+D and Win+D is a Windows "show desktop" command.
Check for any other software you might run in background that may wait for other keyboard shortcuts and interpret them as a command for stealing focus from the current Full-screen application thus minimizing it. It easily could be some harmless software like Mouse/Touchpad configuration program, Volume Control application from your sound driver, etc.

3. Just call the vehicle and get in before the Monolith explodes.

*Win7 - I will try disabling desktop composition, never occurred to me to try this, thanks.

*Effects in general I loathe, I like my machine simple, no flashy junk going on, so all that was already disabled from day one of this PC.

*My Logitech G15 keyboard has a handy slide toggle that disables the windows key, it's permanently toggled off because I hate that key. I have zero use for it ever.

*Nothing I have running should be doing this. I run a fairly lean machine, nothing frivolous is running on it. In fact, I'd rather uninstall Defiance before removing a single one of the few programs that I do run.

A friend suggested the vehicle thing a while back, lag at crowded arkfalls means my car takes forever to appear, if it appears at all. The event is usually over by then.

Ashlocke
09-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Sorry, but i'm lmao about the monolith thing.
Just run away from the monolith. Run to the ark core that is opposite it and hide behind it. You will be out of the explosion, but inside event circle.

Easier said than done. :p

Elena Vermillion
09-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Change to "Windowed (Fullscreen)" mode in display settings to prevent your game from minimizing to desktop randomly.

Ashlocke
09-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Change to "Windowed (Fullscreen)" mode in display settings to prevent your game from minimizing to desktop randomly.

I will try this and report back with results.

It just bugs me that I have to jump through so many hoops to fix a problem that only happens with the Defiance program.

Ashlocke
09-11-2015, 01:26 PM
As promised, I wanted to report back with my results on the off chance it helps anyone else having similar issues.

The only solution that worked was to run the program in full screen windowed mode.

However, in my specific case it presented me with a new problem, my Asus motherboard monitor program which I will not deactivate just to play Defiance sends popup messages every once in a while. This isn't a problem when running programs in full screen mode, but when I changed Defiance to run in full screen "windowed" mode the periodic popups became annoying.

Sadly there is no way to set the Asus program to not send popups to the screen, other than to completely close down the monitoring program. Yes I think that's silly as well, but I like the benefits that running the program provides so closing down the program isn't an option for me.

No, the Asus monitor suite wasn't causing the initial problem to begin with. I had tested this by closing down the program and Defiance still minimized randomly. I still don't have a clue why Defiance randomly minimizes to desktop when running in normal full screen mode.

However I did find a solution, but sadly I can't really explain why it works. It was sheer coincidence I even happened upon the solution.

Using Nvidia Inspector, I changed the max FPS of my PC from the default "unlimited" or no set maximum, to a limit of 30. I was toying around with running my system a bit cooler just to prolong the lifespan of my hardware.

Anyhow, while dinking around I realized that Defiance hadn't minimized in quite a while and this was after I had changed back to running to full screen mode.

I tested it a bit running with the FPS limiter in place and back to the default no limit and noticed immediately that Defiance would again suffer the random minimizing.

I'm no tech guru so I have no idea why this single change causes Defiance to minimize. But at least now I have a solution that takes care of the issue for me. I can run the game in normal full screen mode, not get the periodic Asus popups, and no more random minimizing to desktop.

Yay. :D