PDA

View Full Version : Pipers - Why so desirable?

Dross
09-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Just returned to the game after a very long break. I notice in chat the amounts of scrip asked / offered for Pipers are astronomical. Given that people seem prepared to sell their kidneys to get one of these could some kind soul please explain to me why these weapons are so desirable. I don't have one so I have no idea what's so special or unique about them. Thanks in advance for any replies.

FIEND
09-07-2015, 12:20 AM
just people with no skill think piper will help in pvp but in fact they won't do pvp after some skilled guy outgun that piper with tachmag/pulser and they will just have it resentful of cheaters.

Elucidate
09-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Because there's lots of sheeps. They see people using them and think its good and the process repeats. The hilarious part is when I own them with some random crappy tachmag or better yet....the flash rifle from warmaster.

I have a piper MKII and havent used it in pvp since a week after I got it from the last solstice event

Belle Starr
09-07-2015, 01:19 AM
I can only say from personal experience that my Piper helps me to do the PVP pursuits and contracts when I hate PVP! In PVE, I LOVE the SMG, but I'm just not fast enough and it is too short ranged to really nail the bunny hoppers (I'm a bunny hopper too, so no offense meant)! I am really bad with sniper rifles, so they're not an option for me! I don't like the infectors, guided rocket launchers, and detonators because I don't think those take any skill, although those who love them say they do, and I won't quibble (to each their own I say)! Pipers give me the fast shooting I love, with the range I need, but it allows me the luxury to feel I'm aiming so I'm using at least some skill! :)

That's why I LOVE the Piper in PVP when I HATE PVP! It at least gives me a chance to feel like I'm giving my adversaries a little competition, so I can have a little fun, and am not just a target for their one-shot affections! :cool:

http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/12/11.png

Elucidate
09-07-2015, 01:26 AM
Blast rifles take absolutely no skill

Majority of players just stick Stab Sights on it and hip fire - Literally... Spray and Pray
Just think of it as a rapid fire full auto shotgun.

The worst part is, most don't realize that assault scopes and commando scopes actually make the grouping tighter and reduces some of the recoil especially when there's a higher fire rate

JOCCO5150
09-07-2015, 01:57 AM
I can only say from personal experience that my Piper helps me to do the PVP pursuits and contracts when I hate PVP! In PVE, I LOVE the SMG, but I'm just not fast enough and it is too short ranged to really nail the bunny hoppers (I'm a bunny hopper too, so no offense meant)! I am really bad with sniper rifles, so they're not an option for me! I don't like the infectors, guided rocket launchers, and detonators because I don't think those take any skill, although those who love them say they do, and I won't quibble (to each their own I say)! Pipers give me the fast shooting I love, with the range I need, but it allows me the luxury to feel I'm aiming so I'm using at least some skill! :)

That's why I LOVE the Piper in PVP when I HATE PVP! It at least gives me a chance to feel like I'm giving my adversaries a little competition, so I can have a little fun, and am not just a target for their one-shot affections! :cool:

Why does your piper only have 700 dmg?

Mine does 1700x3

Ray8888
09-07-2015, 02:09 AM

I inspect everyone. I dont know its fun for me, I love seeing what rigs everyone has. But if you do... you will notice almost every 6000e player is rocking the same Blast Rifle / Boomer combo. That just seems boring to me.

Akira Kimekawa
09-07-2015, 02:52 AM
I inspect everyone. I dont know its fun for me, I love seeing what rigs everyone has. But if you do... you will notice almost every 6000e player is rocking the same Blast Rifle / Boomer combo. That just seems boring to me.

Not me I'm running my DC-11 Mk2 with my DC-3 Mk1 because I'm a shotty lover.

But with that said I like going in with prepatched 3x DMG quartermaster couriers as well. XD

WhiteStrike
09-07-2015, 02:53 AM
Just returned to the game after a very long break. I notice in chat the amounts of scrip asked / offered for Pipers are astronomical. Given that people seem prepared to sell their kidneys to get one of these could some kind soul please explain to me why these weapons are so desirable. I don't have one so I have no idea what's so special or unique about them. Thanks in advance for any replies.

For PvP it's the reason others have mentiined:spray&pray.They are even more common on consoles due to the tumbsticks issues(harder to do small corrections and overall harder to aim).
For PvE,it's simple:People don't do the math.They simply calculate the Burst DPS without thinking of all the other variables(Sustained DPS,the innacuracy reduces it's damage,low critical multiplier...).

Claydough
09-07-2015, 03:25 AM

ahaha

this pic is great!
it just reminded me that the piper was the laughing stock of the entire community at the end of last year, that was until the great buff!

Atticus Batman
09-07-2015, 03:28 AM

Mine does 1700x3

That pic was taken before the blast rifles got buffed and the X3 was added to the card.

Altras
09-07-2015, 03:32 AM
I bought a piper for its supreme value. I like knowing ill get a supreme damage roll rather than gambling on it.

Claydough
09-07-2015, 03:34 AM

Majority of players just stick Stab Sights on it and hip fire - Literally... Spray and Pray
Just think of it as a rapid fire full auto shotgun.

The worst part is, most don't realize that assault scopes and commando scopes actually make the grouping tighter and reduces some of the recoil especially when there's a higher fire rate

i dont know how people use stab sights with them.
i use blast rifle rarely, but when i do, they really shiny when view through a commando scope!

the blast rifles have really really good burst dps, which is quite good until your mag runs out and you have to reload.
that combined with it's lack of a crit value make it very very average as a pve weapon, but, due to the fact you can kill up to 3 people in pvp without reloading, makes it the top tire pvp weapon.
adding to its effectivness is its ablity to hip fire aswel as accuratly aim fire, good fallout distance, easy aim ability, blinding of the opponent make the blast rifle your classic go to pvp weapon.

crazyged
09-07-2015, 04:43 AM
I'll be honest, I wanted a Piper for pvp, because of my dubious skills...

Not having got one, however, I tried out my Dancing Lady...

You can keep your Pipers - my Lady is a dirty little beast!

xXxDSMer
09-07-2015, 04:54 AM
For PvP it's the reason others have mentiined:spray&pray.They are even more common on consoles due to the tumbsticks issues(harder to do small corrections and overall harder to aim).
For PvE,it's simple:People don't do the math.They simply calculate the Burst DPS without thinking of all the other variables(Sustained DPS,the innacuracy reduces it's damage,low critical multiplier...).

You left out some factors, like the +20-30% nano chance for procing irradiated (which increases damage up to 150% at 3 stacks), the accuracy increase of using an aim accuracy sight instead of stab sight so heads can actually be aimed at instead of sprayed around, and sustained vs burst dps really only comes into play when a target takes more than a mag to kill (like bosses... *unless* there's not enough capacity to kill at least one mob without reloading lol)

i use blast rifle rarely, but when i do, they really shiny when view through a commando scope!

I don't get it either lol... I use tac on my blasts, and there's still plenty hip accuracy for close work

MIIKKAA
09-07-2015, 05:14 AM
The pipper was one of the best weps in the game until a few months ago. But now, in my opinión any decent rolled st blast rifle makes the pipper looks like a toy.
I got 2 st blast (rad & syp) & the diference between them is remarcable.

But dont take me too seriously. I usually just play with SAWs. :cool:

Belle Starr
09-07-2015, 06:14 AM

Mine does 1700x3

Yeppers, that was a generic stock picture when they first appeared that I found online! :)

Of my four characters, my two 6000 don't EVER do PVP anymore as they don't have to, unless I'm playing PVE with one and a clan mate needs me to open a PVE arena, although Belle Starr doesn't have a Piper and uses her Dancing Lady, and then I'll stay to the end of the match, because that is just the way I am! LOL! :D

Although I HATE PVP, it can be fun if doing it with friends, and I still need it to get my two remaining characters to 6000 EGO level, so c'est la vie! Anyway, Erika Widowmaker at EGO level 5851 has a Piper that does 1338 X 3 damage and poor Sandy Bell at EGO level 4533 has a Piper that does only 809 X 3 damage! I keep both Pipers matching their EGOs, but didn't realize that the difference between the two is so great until I looked! :)

Anyway, you can call me sheep or unskilled or whatever, I don't care a whit, but the Piper is what I use to have fun in an aspect of my favorite game I really don't care for, so sue me! I recommend using a weapon you enjoy in PVP - infector, detonator, sniper rifle, whatever - just try to have fun! The only time I quit a PVP match that I start is if there are people in it - and I can count them on one hand - whose shields never break and who one-shot me, hack, or spawn camp, and never allow me to complete a contract, do a pursuit, or let me have any kind of fun! And FUN is the purpose of any game! :cool:

SaikoTeek
09-07-2015, 06:28 AM
I enjoyed my Votan flash mk ii w bio more in both pvp and pve, than the piper I have, but overall, the piper is beastly in stats and the syn. If I could have a bio piper wo giving up the t4 reload mag, I'd probably love it more.

I need to throw an assault on it, because I agree shooting it w a stab is horrible. I just happened to go stab first because I pulled a t4 from af and stuck it on.

Olaf
09-07-2015, 06:46 AM
I enjoyed my Votan flash mk ii w bio more in both pvp and pve, than the piper I have, but overall, the piper is beastly in stats and the syn. If I could have a bio piper wo giving up the t4 reload mag, I'd probably love it more.

I need to throw an assault on it, because I agree shooting it w a stab is horrible. I just happened to go stab first because I pulled a t4 from af and stuck it on.

Why the stab sight horrible? Works great on my piper.

WhiteStrike
09-07-2015, 06:52 AM
You left out some factors, like the +20-30% nano chance for procing irradiated (which increases damage up to 150% at 3 stacks), the accuracy increase of using an aim accuracy sight instead of stab sight so heads can actually be aimed at instead of sprayed around, and sustained vs burst dps really only comes into play when a target takes more than a mag to kill (like bosses... *unless* there's not enough capacity to kill at least one mob without reloading lol)

I don't get it either lol... I use tac on my blasts, and there's still plenty hip accuracy for close work

The syn is +20% on critical hit.Mosr enemies have small hitspots which means that the chance of the bonus activating is not as high as you think.However,the Blast Rifle has one of the highest proc rates in the game,which can synergize with the synergy.Even then,other weapons can trigger the nano too and you are actually saying the rad nano is good,not the Piper itself.
About the sustained DPS being useless because most enemues die in less than one mag:you forgot something almost every single encounter in this game is against multiple enemies. As such, reload becomes a huge factor once you take out one enemy.

WhiteStrike
09-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Because people are discussing the Piper's performance in PvE.

Olaf
09-07-2015, 07:11 AM

... Your point? I use the piper in expos with stab sight. Works great when hip firing..

Distraction
09-07-2015, 07:12 AM
I got my Piper at the last Christmas event...and you couldn't pay me enough money to sell it. Those little guns are fairly decent against the Volge.

Cygnus
09-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Seems like most missed the ops question and just went on a hate rant.

The named weapon bonus combined with the stats on the piper make it the most desired blast rifle in the game that you dont have to pay real money to get.

There are other syn blast rifles that are nice.the ST, and CE variation and the new named supernova, but those were obtained from a bit only box.the WM flash with an assassin syn and rad is nice too.but you have a chance to get piper as a drop during the event.that is why so many want one.regardless of the hate ,given the chance to have one in their inventory everyone would say ,yes please.

There are snipe lovers and smg advocates and shotty shooters but nothing lets you get down like a blast rifle an says I'm a Bad asss.whether you are in open world or pvp the piper is king of the autos since the buff.

Hexthat
09-07-2015, 09:18 AM
my piper sits in my inv as a collectors piece, along with most jackpots

MansonGSR
09-07-2015, 09:27 AM
I tested piper and chaos and i sold piper for other chaos and now i have a bio chaos and a siphon chaos and there are incredible, thevsiphon 1 steal more life than my siphon st blast rifle and make more dmg

c_e_r_u_l_e_a_n
09-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Personally? I don't really care for any AR other than my duster. To each their own I guess. If I pull a piper it's getting sold immediately.

Elucidate
09-07-2015, 11:10 AM

The stab sight is for the aforementioned "Spray and Pray" that the majority does without taking into account that several things such as fire rate can affect the recoil.
Assault Scopes and Commando scopes are better in regards to the fact that they have more accuracy when you aim down the scope and it helps stabilizing the gun towards your target. I personally prefer commando because its more accurate between the two

The piper or any blast rifles are bad for pve given the amount of bullets being wasted that aren't critting as well as the already low crit multiplier.

All the blast rifles are good for is to trigger nano effects

the blast rifles have really really good burst dps, which is quite good until your mag runs out and you have to reload.
that combined with it's lack of a crit value make it very very average as a pve weapon, but, due to the fact you can kill up to 3 people in pvp without reloading, makes it the top tire pvp weapon.
adding to its effectivness is its ablity to hip fire aswel as accuratly aim fire, good fallout distance, easy aim ability, blinding of the opponent make the blast rifle your classic go to pvp weapon.

This is why I always make sure that the blast rifle has a decent reload roll and I always go for reload mastery rather than damage. Its funny watching people die because they cant reload fast enough

Mr B
09-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Personally? I don't really care for any AR other than my duster. To each their own I guess. If I pull a piper it's getting sold immediately.

Duster <3.
Especially the mk 1 version,or a supreme mk 2.
I'm also a tachmag/pulser lover myself (any kind, i really like the fire rate on those, been using them since day 1)
That being said, i would keep a piper if i'm lucky enough to get 1 someday :D

Also, on topic, i use my blast rifles like i use smgs too.Hipfiring/close range fight.Works great in pve indeed.But i'm no pvp expert, so i wouldn't know.They certainly aren't mid/long range combat weapons imo though.And i really hate anything but stab/assault scopes on ars.Tunnel vision syndrome :D

cmpowell
09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
I will never figure out how a game so slanted towards pve content wise can be so pvp driven

cmpowell
09-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I will never figure out how a game so slanted towards pve content wise can be so pvp driven

Having said that I mostly want a piper because it's the only DC weapon I've never owned

Tanqueray
09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
To add to the understanding of why the blast rifle is favored by some: not everyone is able to run the game with a consistent high frame rate, ping may also factor in but i mostly notice my smgs suffering fire rate loss when the frame rate drops. Other laggy guns arent always at fault, some maps are just frame rate killers and from what ive read it varies from player to player which areas lag their frame rate. The blast rifle seems to work without a problem in those laggy situations when the smgs do have problems.

c_e_r_u_l_e_a_n
09-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Hmm, someone finally said it. This is obviously a "mob" game. Pvp is pretty trivial, and I only do it in hopes of completing pursuits. If it wasn't for the pursuits I would never Pvp at all. If I want to shoot people in the face online I'll play CoD, or counterstrike lol.

SCAVENGER1
09-07-2015, 12:25 PM
not sure why yall dont think that the blast/flash rifle are not good in pve ? i use to be a hard core typhoon user and use to have over 50 of all nano's. but now since they finally gotten them to be worth using. i use voltan flash and spinal tap now. and i got some really good one's. just wish they was native oj but they are not. my WM build uses a voltan flash rad/cann that will melt anything 3espially volge quick and yes it eats ammo very well.

so i been buying the ammo perk so with patrons pass i have 1250 rounds for my ar/smg. and my secondary weapon on my WM build is a supreme vot pulsar spinal tap rad. that i now use over my oj rad cann needler mk2, which i got by trading my undertaker for.sigh.... but i do have the votan flash cann in fire.bio/syp/elec as well but none where native oj which sucks but oh well they still work nicley. then the 1 spinal tap blast fire i have out does my chaos in dmg even with same rig.

lol i even did a vot volge typhoon that now has 17k and is nanoless and cann sny to boot it is nice using it just wish nanoless did has much as nano's do..

SCAVENGER1
09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Hmm, someone finally said it. This is obviously a "mob" game. Pvp is pretty trivial, and I only do it in hopes of completing pursuits. If it wasn't for the pursuits I would never Pvp at all. If I want to shoot people in the face online I'll play CoD, or counterstrike lol.
i havent done much pvp since so far any mmo/rpg game that has doesnt have a clue of how it should be done. let alone no way of catching cheaters as well. and i played a lot of different mp fgame threw out the yrs. i started playing ravenshield then got into the BF series which i still like the best. since it has the team play around. COD is more of a comic relief cause of how there perks work.. titanfall was cool and fast past which was nice. but i play these types of game like deifance and fallen earth and such for the pve/coop style of game play.

would be nice if trion removed the crappy pvp out of the pursuits so i could get to 6k but im stuck at 5906 since raider and mutant boxes in expeditions are so rare for me to find yet..

Tex_Arcana
09-07-2015, 03:27 PM
In deference to what my clanmate says (he's the PvP pro): The Piper is good in both PvE and PvP.
I have had the Mk1 since the Christmas Solstice event; and I never tire of using it both as a single target (Commando Scope ftw), and as hallway broom.
It's just a plain fun gun. And it is effective.

final rest
09-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Because there's lots of sheeps.

or people looking for a good weapon. i like it because the radiation and perfect rolls(imho) make a great gun for getting score and winning volge sieges.

Elucidate
09-08-2015, 01:02 AM
or people looking for a good weapon. i like it because the radiation and perfect rolls(imho) make a great gun for getting score and winning volge sieges.

Youre kidding right? BRs are the worst to use against volge, especially against a viscera. If you see them die quick, thank the other people that just carried you

If you want score, use a corruptor and tag everything

xXxDSMer
09-08-2015, 05:09 AM
The syn is +20% on critical hit.Mosr enemies have small hitspots which means that the chance of the bonus activating is not as high as you think.However,the Blast Rifle has one of the highest proc rates in the game,which can synergize with the synergy.Even then,other weapons can trigger the nano too and you are actually saying the rad nano is good,not the Piper itself.
About the sustained DPS being useless because most enemues die in less than one mag:you forgot something almost every single encounter in this game is against multiple enemies. As such, reload becomes a huge factor once you take out one enemy.

An awful lot of assuming, and attempting to put words in my mouth there. Allow me to straighten you out...

The syn is +20% on critical hit.Mosr enemies have small hitspots which means that the chance of the bonus activating is not as high as you think.

Not a problem at all with an aim accuracy sight, instead of the spray from the hip and pray stab sight.
Unlike people that for whatever reason love stab sight on a blast rifle... my blasts can actually land most if not all of the projectiles on the head of even the small humanoid mobs out to a fairly decent distance.
Granted that distance is nowhere near as far as my heavies, but just like any weapon platform - each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Running around with a stab sight on a blast rifle - yeah you're going to have a crap load of misses while aiming for heads.

However,the Blast Rifle has one of the highest proc rates in the game,which can synergize with the synergy.

Any saturnalia weapon gets that +20% nano chance on crit. Guarantee wolfhound and pulser both proc quite a lot more than non-sat weapons as well lol.

Even then,other weapons can trigger the nano too and you are actually saying the rad nano is good,not the Piper itself.

Actually it's the combination of the nano, and the weapon. The weapon that happens to have 1.10 or 1.12 dmg on the card, plus 5% damage, plus 5% fire rate, plus all the other jackpot bonuses, plus an additional 5% damage from syn.
Piper itself is pretty darn good considering it has as much as, or more than, soleptor blasts just in damage bonuses from jp and syn. (reason I say as much or more is: the syn damage boosts are applied to full card damage, while damage rolls and mfg/jp bonus are applied to the base damage).

Then with all that about the weapon.. there's radiation nano, which increases damage taken by the target up to 150% at 3 stacks of irradiated. But even if a piper were modded with t4 sat external, powerbore, and sight - with a non-sat nano converter in the mag slot - it'd still be a rather good blast rifle.

About the sustained DPS being useless because most enemues die in less than one mag:you forgot something almost every single encounter in this game is against multiple enemies. As such, reload becomes a huge factor once you take out one enemy

and where exactly did I say sustained dps is useless? Aside from within your reading comprehension failure.

xXxDSMer
09-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Youre kidding right? BRs are the worst to use against volge, especially against a viscera. If you see them die quick, thank the other people that just carried you

How exactly is that... do volge have some special -50% damage taken modifier that only applies to blast rifles? lol.

Gaige12
09-08-2015, 05:35 AM
Cave Johnson here. You may be asking yourself 'How do our blast rifles get 3 bullets out for every 1 bullet used?'. That's because we fire THE WHOLE bullet. That's 200% more bullets per bullet!!

We're in between banks right now, so just make those checks out to cash.

Logain
09-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Cave Johnson here. You may be asking yourself 'How do our blast rifles get 3 bullets out for every 1 bullet used?'. That's because we fire THE WHOLE bullet. That's 200% more bullets per bullet!!

^?

The BR is like a long range shotgun (i.e. 3 pellets for every one bullet instead of like 8-12 for shotguns). I think you know this. I am just confused with the comment.

Smokey Black
09-08-2015, 06:21 AM

Disrupters get like 9 bullets out of every 1

Logain
09-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Disrupters get like 9 bullets out of every 1

Actually I think the disruptors also get three pellets per one bullet but shoot in bursts of 3 bullets (so 9 pellets total).

Tex_Arcana
09-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Sorry Clanny: Piper tears Visc shields down quick. I switch to either a bio or fire weapon for the after shields portion.
Though I do agree that tagging multiple targets is a good way to go; Volge Sieges and Incursions typically favour the people with good single target loadouts (AR/SMG + Semi-Auto Sniper for example).

Actually I think the disruptors also get three pellets per one bullet but shoot in bursts of 3 bullets (so 9 pellets total).
This is correct.

konstantinov
09-08-2015, 08:29 AM
I shot a kid once.

r1p
09-08-2015, 09:22 AM

I can't picture anyone but J. K. Simmons as the voice of Cave Johnson.

Belle Starr
09-08-2015, 10:31 AM
I shot a kid once.

Ummm... okay... was it with a Piper, otherwise, what's the point? :)

Hey... you outside there... behind the computer screen! Call the guys in the white coats for me! Tell them we have another ark hunter for the Looney bin! Puuuuhleeeze!

https://www.truckersforum.net/forum/attachments/a1-bp-blogspot-com__j_op93kl0l8_txloyvf8kki_aaaaaaaaam8_hpmruie59 b6fa97118ab5e4f9055d63319cc29-png.25283/

WhiteStrike
09-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Sorry Clanny: Piper tears Visc shields down quick. I switch to either a bio or fire weapon for the after shields portion.
Though I do agree that tagging multiple targets is a good way to go; Volge Sieges and Incursions typically favour the people with good single target loadouts (AR/SMG + Semi-Auto Sniper for example).

This is correct.

I think that he said that because of tge Blast Rifle's low crit and the 2 sec reload where their DPS drops to 0.

Tex_Arcana
09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I think that he said that because of tge Blast Rifle's low crit and the 2 sec reload where their DPS drops to 0.
Ya. That is a valid point as far as reload.
I find crit less important until after the shield is down though.
I got crit as the mastery on mine...so that helps a bit...