PDA

View Full Version : Q about life steal

Sevrin
09-16-2015, 02:37 PM
I've been using with this synergy bonus for almost a year now, but realized today that i still don't fully understand it. So here are a couple of questions:

1. Does it steal from armor, shields or health or just health or all?
2. Does it actually steal armor, shields, health from the enemy and then, as such, act as a de facto 10% or 11% damage boost?
3. Does it add a percentage back to my armor, shield or health, or any depending on what's up?

So I guess I am asking if life steal is basically like syphon except it works 100 percent, 10 percent of the time or is it something that is more directly connected to life (health).

Thanks. The answers to this are probably obvious but i just never have been able to notice.

Olaf
09-16-2015, 03:28 PM
I've been using with this synergy bonus for almost a year now, but realized today that i still don't fully understand it. So here are a couple of questions:

2. Does it actually steal armor, shields, health from the enemy and then, as such, act as a de facto 10% or 11% damage boost?
3. Does it add a percentage back to my armor, shield or health, or any depending on what's up?

So I guess I am asking if life steal is basically like syphon except it works 100 percent, 10 percent of the time or is it something that is more directly connected to life (health).

Thanks. The answers to this are probably obvious but i just never have been able to notice.

Taking a wild guess here but, surely it just adds 10% of any actual damage dealt to shield/health onto your own shield/health?

Which reminds me, there's a spinal tap glitch that is being abused. Use a dc8 in expo, detonate and switch to your St blast rifle, the damage from clusters is then added to your health (refills your entire health/shield). Not bad for 11% life steal aye? Wonder how much longer it's going to take Rashere/LoCarb before they spot that one lol

c_e_r_u_l_e_a_n
09-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Probably not long at all since you just put it out there for everyone to see.

EDIT: to answer the question, from my experience using a ghost duster, life steal takes from both shields and health. If your health is full, using a life steal weapon refills your shield. It seems to fill health before it fills the shield. Hope that's some clarification for you Sev.

Olaf
09-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Probably not long at all since you just put it out there for everyone to see.

Good. Shouldn't have been possible in the first place. But I won't hold my breathe. This thread will be ignored by the devs in all likelihood. Let's see.

SirServed
09-16-2015, 03:52 PM

Adding to what has been previously stated, the Life Steal will only grant Health or Shield at a time. To clarify, if your shield is empty and you have 50% health, Life Steal shooting an enemy for 1,000,000 damage in one shot will only heal your health bar for 100,000 and not affect your shield. You shield will only be fed the Life Steal bonus when your health is completely full.

Sevrin
09-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone. i appreciate the answers. Does life steal actually steal from the target also...that is, for example, if you are adding to your shield while doing damage does it take 10% plus damage from target's shield or does it take the 10% from the damage you are already inflicting and just give that back...does that make sense?

SirServed
09-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone. i appreciate the answers. Does life steal actually steal from the target also...that is, for example, if you are adding to your shield while doing damage does it take 10% plus damage from target's shield or does it take the 10% from the damage you are already inflicting and just give that back...does that make sense?
You deal the damage that your weapon puts out and your life steal simply heals you for 10% of that amount.

Chump Norris
09-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Taking a wild guess here but, surely it just adds 10% of any actual damage dealt to shield/health onto your own shield/health?

Which reminds me, there's a spinal tap glitch that is being abused. Use a dc8 in expo, detonate and switch to your St blast rifle, the damage from clusters is then added to your health (refills your entire health/shield). Not bad for 11% life steal aye? Wonder how much longer it's going to take Rashere/LoCarb before they spot that one lol

Does it not work the same with a Purge weapon?

Olaf
09-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Does it not work the same with a Purge weapon?

Nope only spinal tap.

Rashere
09-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Nope only spinal tap.

Spinal Tap has both Life and Shield Steal where The Purge is just Life Steal. They're two different effects, though they work similarly.

Life Steal converts x% of the damage done into healing for your health. It doesn't affect shields.
Shield Steal converts x% of the damage done into healing for your shield. It doesn't affect health.

Olaf
09-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Spinal Tap has both Life and Shield Steal where The Purge is just Life Steal. They're two different effects, though they work similarly.

Life Steal converts x% of the damage done into healing for your health. It doesn't affect shields.
Shield Steal converts x% of the damage done into healing for your shield. It doesn't affect health.

I think you missed my original post lol.. Or just didn't read it entirely. Thanks for explanation though, that would explain why what I mentioned in my reply to op doesn't work with Purge.

SirServed
09-17-2015, 01:08 PM

I haven't observed any real difference between Purge and Spinal Tap, despite the differences in wording they have. They both appear to convert damage done into health and then into shields, in that order. The only real difference I noticed was when Spinal Tap was released, my single overkill heals with Purge no longer filled my shield in addition to my health. I observed the exact same behavior from Spinal Tap with single overkill heals so I figured the description was only different due to the addition of Cyber Rig passives also having those effects.

Rashere
09-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Correction: Shield Steal was added to The Purge so it is also both.

SirServed
09-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks! /10

Mrdr
09-17-2015, 03:04 PM

When? It wasn't working last night on my BHF AR. I tested it at Bolinas Meltdown. Health went up (slooooowly) and once full, shield never recharged. Is the health recharge only on crits? Seems that I can only notice a difference in health meter when I crit someone.

Edit: just read SirServed's post about "single overkill heals". Not sure what these are, but perhaps that's the reason why my shield wouldn't recharge? Perhaps I've got it all wrong and was expecting my plates to recharge. Will have to look for a shield status indicator rather than plates.

Rashere
09-17-2015, 04:31 PM
When? It wasn't working last night on my BHF AR. I tested it at Bolinas Meltdown. Health went up (slooooowly) and once full, shield never recharged. Is the health recharge only on crits? Seems that I can only notice a difference in health meter when I crit someone.

Edit: just read SirServed's post about "single overkill heals". Not sure what these are, but perhaps that's the reason why my shield wouldn't recharge? Perhaps I've got it all wrong and was expecting my plates to recharge. Will have to look for a shield status indicator rather than plates.

Before the Halloween event in 2014. It definitely doesn't recharge plates, though.

Johnny Stranger
09-17-2015, 05:21 PM

I have had my bhf gun glitch once in a while where it did not give me life steal ... I was like what the heck ... Kind of like the blast rifle glitch that doesn't do damage to enemies until you swap weapons , just not as often

Sevrin
09-17-2015, 05:36 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer! This really helps clear up some confusion for me. Appreciate it. BTW I just noticed the description on the Spinal Tap is "Life and Shield Steal" but Purge says "Life Steal." Has that always been that way? (He asks wondering about his own powers of observation.)

Rashere
09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Thank you for taking the time to answer! This really helps clear up some confusion for me. Appreciate it. BTW I just noticed the description on the Spinal Tap is "Life and Shield Steal" but Purge says "Life Steal." Has that always been that way? (He asks wondering about his own powers of observation.)

Yeah, that's why I got confused at first. I'll update The Purge text so it explicitly calls out Shield Steal too.

Mudturtle Jones
09-18-2015, 12:33 PM
To add to the confusion, I'll bring up the Extra Life weapons. The original ones were supposed to have lifesteal. Is this still true? And what about the ones from last year?

SirServed
09-18-2015, 02:55 PM
To add to the confusion, I'll bring up the Extra Life weapons. The original ones were supposed to have lifesteal. Is this still true? And what about the ones from last year?
The original ones were Syphon nano, so the Lifesteal portion made complete sense.

Atticus Batman
09-18-2015, 04:07 PM
The original ones were Syphon nano, so the Lifesteal portion made complete sense.

Actually that isn't completely true. My original ones were all fire nano. THey were sold in a vendor, and some EGO levels saw fire nano, the other EGO levels saw syphon nano. People were upset that they weren't guaranteed Syphon nano, but Trion ignored those complaints.

SirServed
09-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Actually that isn't completely true. My original ones were all fire nano. THey were sold in a vendor, and some EGO levels saw fire nano, the other EGO levels saw syphon nano. People were upset that they weren't guaranteed Syphon nano, but Trion ignored those complaints.
That's actually interesting to hear. Do you think it was actually EGO level that decided or potentially the class you picked when you started the game? I was a lowbie that started as an Outlaw, everything on the vendor for me was Syphon.

Atticus Batman
09-18-2015, 06:38 PM
That's actually interesting to hear. Do you think it was actually EGO level that decided or potentially the class you picked when you started the game? I was a lowbie that started as an Outlaw, everything on the vendor for me was Syphon.

Pretty sure it was EGO level, as that is how most vendor weapons' set nanos were automatically decided back then. Doubt it was class, but I was about a 2800 EGO Veteran class at that time, for reference.

{EDIT} I dug through the bottom of the forum archives and found this for you on the 2013 Extralife vendor:

Hmm, so on my low EGO / US server character, Extra Life guns have the syphon nano. On my EGO 5000 / EU server character, they have either fire or bio.

Also, Nefarious didn't mention the insane shields. They are tradable (they don't have the non-tradable tag at least, haven't tried to actually trade one), and are not affected by the "can't have multiple identical items in inventory" bug.

The vendor was offering me the pistol with poop shoes and everything else with fire... really not seeing it with this gear though... some of it is decent, but the synergy isn't something I'm very fond of... if they had unique skins, perhaps I'd throw some scrip into them, but I guess I'm not seeing what everyone else is... lol

Same here, anything with a synergy was either bio or fire. I didn't think much of the weapons either, I did buy one of those high cap ironclads though.

Dixie Cougar
09-19-2015, 02:18 AM
If you recall, many of the vanilla vendors have weapons at various EGO levels. They are probably "unique" items, so to speak, and get displayed based on the EGO of the player. That might explain the idiosyncrasies with the nanos.

DEPHIC
09-19-2015, 01:10 PM
I have had my bhf gun glitch once in a while where it did not give me life steal ... I was like what the heck ... Kind of like the blast rifle glitch that doesn't do damage to enemies until you swap weapons , just not as often

Same, my BHF weapons glitch a few times a day where they don't give lifesteal from enemies. Not sure if goes away or switching weapons fix it, but it is annoying none the less. I've grown accustom to checking my health bar when when my health is low and if its not moving when it should I take cover until my shield regens.