PDA

View Full Version : Music video idea, feedback needed

IrisaLover
09-23-2015, 08:45 AM
For a long time, one of my hobbies has been ripping movies, TV shows, and music from CD and DVD to my hard drive, cutting them up, and making music videos out of them. You can see a typical example of my work here (https://vimeo.com/103224713) and a more unusual and highly experimental example here (https://vimeo.com/125117014). Last night, I wondered to myself "If I were to make a Defiance music video, what would it be about?". Approximately a tenth of a second later, I thought "the 'Devouring Mother' story arc, of course". I then asked myself "Are there even any songs that would work for this?". That took me a whole two or three seconds to think about before realizing "Of course! 'Bring me to Life' by Evanescence!"
Obviously, all of Amy Lee's lines would be matched to clips of Irisa, and possibly Ashi and the Kaziri/"Irzu". But what about the male vocals? That's proving to be somewhat trickier. My first two thoughts were Nolan and Cai/Reimlu, but each proved problematic for different reasons. Lyrics like...

wake me up
I can't wake up
save meWould prove problematic because at no point do Cai or Reimlu ever need saving and there's only one shot of him waking up that I'd have to recycle for the twenty or so times these lyrics appear in the song. There just isn't enough footage of those characters in general. On the other hand, Amy Lee's lines strongly indicate a romantic relationship between her and whoever she's addressing, which pretty well rules out Nolan. Then my thoughts shifted to Sukar. For a song titled "Bring me to Life", which includes lyrics like "only you are the life among the dead", A character who literally dies and comes back to life would be an appropriate choice... but again, Irisa's relationship with him was nowhere near a romantic one, and there just aren't enough relevant clips of him. And some lines were proving difficult for all three characters, like...

I've been living a lie
there's nothing insideNone of those characters were at any point "living a lie". The closest match would be Nolan's PTSD breakdown at the tail end of season 3, but that wasn't at all relevant to the devouring mother story arc.

As I was skimming episodes looking for the one in which Cai first appeared so I could remember his name (I was cut off from the Internet at the time), I saw several shots of Tommy and suddenly remembered that he was a character on the show too. After thinking about it, I realized that he met all the necessary criteria. He (a) had a romantic relationship with Irisa, (b) was "kept in the dark" about Irisa's condition for about the first half-dozen episodes of season 2, (c) was "saved" by Irisa via golden tendril vomit, (d) was "living a lie" by being full of golden tendril vomit that eventually rejected him, (e) dies, and (f) is shown begging to be saved (even though this was really just the Kaziri pretending to be him). The problem? I don't really like him and I never got emotionally invested in the relationship between him and Irisa... and as far as I can tell, neither did she, at least not until after she killed him.

So anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any strong opinions on whether or not I should go ahead with this project and how I should deal with the male vocals if I do.

Warhorse1000
09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
For a long time, one of my hobbies has been ripping movies, TV shows, and music from CD and DVD to my hard drive, cutting them up, and making music videos out of them. You can see a typical example of my work here (https://vimeo.com/103224713) and a more unusual and highly experimental example here (https://vimeo.com/125117014). Last night, I wondered to myself "If I were to make a Defiance music video, what would it be about?". Approximately a tenth of a second later, I thought "the 'Devouring Mother' story arc, of course". I then asked myself "Are there even any songs that would work for this?". That took me a whole two or three seconds to think about before realizing "Of course! 'Bring me to Life' by Evanescence!"
Obviously, all of Amy Lee's lines would be matched to clips of Irisa, and possibly Ashi and the Kaziri/"Irzu". But what about the male vocals? That's proving to be somewhat trickier. My first two thoughts were Nolan and Cai/Reimlu, but each proved problematic for different reasons. Lyrics like...

Would prove problematic because at no point do Cai or Reimlu ever need saving and there's only one shot of him waking up that I'd have to recycle for the twenty or so times these lyrics appear in the song. There just isn't enough footage of those characters in general. On the other hand, Amy Lee's lines strongly indicate a romantic relationship between her and whoever she's addressing, which pretty well rules out Nolan. Then my thoughts shifted to Sukar. For a song titled "Bring me to Life", which includes lyrics like "only you are the life among the dead", A character who literally dies and comes back to life would be an appropriate choice... but again, Irisa's relationship with him was nowhere near a romantic one, and there just aren't enough relevant clips of him. And some lines were proving difficult for all three characters, like...

None of those characters were at any point "living a lie". The closest match would be Nolan's PTSD breakdown at the tail end of season 3, but that wasn't at all relevant to the devouring mother story arc.

As I was skimming episodes looking for the one in which Cai first appeared so I could remember his name (I was cut off from the Internet at the time), I saw several shots of Tommy and suddenly remembered that he was a character on the show too. After thinking about it, I realized that he met all the necessary criteria. He (a) had a romantic relationship with Irisa, (b) was "kept in the dark" about Irisa's condition for about the first half-dozen episodes of season 2, (c) was "saved" by Irisa via golden tendril vomit, (d) was "living a lie" by being full of golden tendril vomit that eventually rejected him, (e) dies, and (f) is shown begging to be saved (even though this was really just the Kaziri pretending to be him). The problem? I don't really like him and I never got emotionally invested in the relationship between him and Irisa... and as far as I can tell, neither did she, at least not until after she killed him.

So anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any strong opinions on whether or not I should go ahead with this project and how I should deal with the male vocals if I do.

Lemme offer you these lyrics instead---Based on Sting's "This Cowboy Song":

We rode all night across the endless badlands
We had no moon to light our way
And though a million arks were slowly turning
We lacked the consciences to pray

Our roller running like the devil chase us
These wheels, they hardly touched the ground
Yes, I'm familiar with a sabre-wolf howling
But I'm certain I never heard that sound
Devil to pay on judgement day
Would Rayetso strike me down if I should pray?

This arkhunter song is all I know
To bring me back into your arms
Your distant sun, your shining light
You'll be my dark-star shining tonight

I've been the lowest of the low on the planet
I've been a sinner all my days
When I was living with my hand on the trigger
I had no sense to change my ways
Sukar asked if I'd embrace the Path of Irzu
To suck the poison from my life
Just like an space-age cowboy villain
His words were balanced on my knife
Devil to pay, on judgement day
Would Irzu strike me down if I should pray?

Every night
Every night
All my distances afar

This arkhunter song, is all I know
This arkhunter song, this "arker" life
I'll be your dark-star shining tonight

Dark-star...

IrisaLover
09-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Lemme offer you these lyrics instead---Based on Sting's "This Cowboy Song":

We rode all night across the endless badlands
We had no moon to light our way
And though a million arks were slowly turning
We lacked the consciences to pray

Our roller running like the devil chase us
These wheels, they hardly touched the ground
Yes, I'm familiar with a sabre-wolf howling
But I'm certain I never heard that sound
Devil to pay on judgement day
Would Rayetso strike me down if I should pray?

I've been the lowest of the low on the planet
I've been a sinner all my days
When I was living with my hand on the trigger
I had no sense to change my ways
Sukar asked if I'd embrace the Path of Irzu
To suck the poison from my life
Just like an space-age cowboy villain
His words were balanced on my knife
Devil to pay, on judgement day
Would Irzu strike me down if I should pray?

Every night
Every night
All my distances afar

This arkhunter song, is all I know
This arkhunter song, this "arker" life
I'll be your dark-star shining tonight

Dark-star...

Yeah, uh, that's not gonna work. And here's why: that song doesn't exist. I can't rip a song that doesn't exist from a CD that doesn't exist. I can't make a music video to music that doesn't exist. A music video needs music that actually exists, or it's not a music video. Are you starting to see the problem yet?

Warhorse1000
09-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah, uh, that's not gonna work. And here's why: that song doesn't exist. I can't rip a song that doesn't exist from a CD that doesn't exist. I can't make a music video to music that doesn't exist. A music video needs music that actually exists, or it's not a music video. Are you starting to see the problem yet?

Actually, the song does exist:

http://www.sting.com/discography/album/27/Albums

It's just the lyrics that don't, other than in my own head. I merely gave the pre-existing lyrics a "Defiance" twist.

By the way, here's just one link to a number of videos already made on the song:

https://youtu.be/WB_Fwwd6IcY

I personally like his live performance of the song at his Berlin concert back in '94.

EDIT: I was going to tell you to just pull it from Itunes, but a cursory check of their store shows that that particular album ("At The Movies") is not listed there. Personally I can't imagine why---they've got most everything else of his, including the album of the Berlin performance. I wouldn't recommend trying to rip from a live performance album though---you'll end up getting all the crowd noise too and that doesn't sound like exactly what you're looking for. Maybe hit up a couple of music stores---yeah, I know, there's not many of them left---and see if they can find "At The Movies" for you.

IrisaLover
09-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Actually, the song does exist... It's just the lyrics that don't

Lyrics are part of the song, genius. That's why Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and Weird Al's "Eat It" are considered two different songs.

Before we go down some semantic rabbit hole, let me clarify the problem, since saying it FOUR DIFFERENT WAYS the first time didn't get the point across: There is no audio recording in existence that has the lyrics that you wrote down. Ergo, your suggestion is literally physically impossible. Do you get it now, or do I need to say it FIVE MORE different ways?

Tanqueray
09-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Now i have Jet's "Roll over DJ" stuck in my head... I wonder why

Warhorse1000
09-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Lyrics are part of the song, genius. That's why Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and Weird Al's "Eat It" are considered two different songs.

Before we go down some semantic rabbit hole, let me clarify the problem, since saying it FOUR DIFFERENT WAYS the first time didn't get the point across: There is no audio recording in existence that has the lyrics that you wrote down. Ergo, your suggestion is literally physically impossible. Do you get it now, or do I need to say it FIVE MORE different ways?

Wow, the brain damage of kids these days....

Alrighty kiddo...do your own thing. Here, lemme quote you your own words:

...that song doesn't exist.

And yet, when I show you that it does, you throw a temper tantrum and try to maintain that it doesn't. Get the memo kid....never ask for help again, if you're gonna be so damn stupid about it. Guess this is what I get for trying to help out.

Just go away boy. Done with you.:mad:

IrisaLover
09-26-2015, 10:47 PM
And yet, when I show you that it does, you throw a temper tantrum

Yes, I threw a temper tantrum all zero times you did that.

and try to maintain that it doesn't.

Well, that's because - and pay attention, because this next part is important - it doesn't.