PDA

View Full Version : understanding rolls.

afropick3000
09-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Is there a guide somewhere to help me understand what rolls are best for what guns? I've been playing for about 6mths now and I am still lost. I have a good clan and they try and help me, but I'm a visual person and need to have a reference.
I tried looking here and looking on defiance data but all I found was just an explanation of all the rolls that are available. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

David Irwin
09-24-2015, 09:18 AM
its has to do with preference as well,.. but damage rolls and crit rolls are always most desired .. reload on pumps and sawoffs is good to look for. recoil reduction is good for lmgs since they usually have heavy recoil.. just think of where the base weapon might be lacking , and look for rolls that improve that. Have look at some of the jackpot weapons, they have predetermined rolls that are complimentary to the weapon (so good rolls). a rolls like extra damage from last shot in clip, or ego refresh on full reload, are pretty useless on a weapon with a large mag. but if the weapon reloads fast with a small mag those rolls become more useful.

afropick3000
09-24-2015, 09:27 AM
That helps a lot thanks. The funny thing is they tell me this but I need to read it for it to be real to me for some reason.

r1p
09-24-2015, 09:37 AM
That helps a lot thanks. The funny thing is they tell me this but I need to read it for it to be real to me for some reason.

I know a couple of people that have the opposite problem. They have a difficult time visually processing information and need to have it conveyed to them through speech. It may me a possibility that your brain has a problem processing information that you hear so if this is an issue that you have beyond this game you may want to speak to a doctor about it.

afropick3000
09-24-2015, 09:45 AM
I know a couple of people that have the opposite problem. They have a difficult time visually processing information and need to have it conveyed to them through speech. It may me a possibility that your brain has a problem processing information that you hear so if this is an issue that you have beyond this game you may want to speak to a doctor about it.

I've always had this I was tested as a kid because of this and a reluctance to do school work. After the testing I told nothing was wrong and actually I had a 120 IQ and it is just the way I'm wired.

Fallen_Aingeal
09-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Another roll that is highly desirable on lmg's is reload rolls. The reload time on most lmg's is nearly 5 secs. Anything to cut that is good!

Ray8888
09-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Also crit is hugely important on Snipers. Mag and reload on shottys. Another roll that annoys me is mag rolls on weapons that have an "On Reload" purp roll. Not good. I personally love accuracy and recoil on Saws but I hate accuracy on every other weapon. Fire rate is key on Infectors but range is often overlooked. Even just a range mastery on an Infector is noticeable and since you can't Roll a FR mastery on infectors it's my personal favorite.

EDIT - my next most useless roll is recoil on Infectors. Useless. Totally useless.

Rashere
09-24-2015, 11:53 AM
My two cents:

As you see from this thread, a lot comes down to personal preference and play style. It also varies a lot by the weapon itself.

Start with what you want the weapon for. If you're playing primarily PvE, sustained DPS is more important than burst. PvP is the opposite.

It's hard to go wrong with +damage in either case, though if you're skilled with aiming, you'll get more out of +crit. If you're not a good shot, +crit isn't going to do much for you. It's usefulness is directly tied to your own skill.

Depending on the weapon, you can get more sustained DPS out of increased mag and faster reload times than the +damage bonus. Generally, the longer the reload or the lower the innate mag size of the gun, the more benefit you'll get out of those bonuses. They're also tied together as a long reload on a gun with a huge mag has less impact on sustained dps than the same reload on a gun with a small mag. Reload on a sawed shotgun (1 shot), for example, can provide a sustained DPS boost that dwarfs the +damage bonus in the same rarity slot.

Fire rate is more useful for burst DPS than sustained. If you've got a ton of fire rate boosts, you exacerbate the effects of a long reload and small mag size so have to watch those stats too. Infectors usually benefit the most from fire rate since it accelerates the DoT timings and bug spawnings so makes a big difference to the DPS of the gun.

If you're looking at explosives, the increased blast radius and min damage bonuses (which increases damage at the edge of the explosion) are both great as those weapons excel when firing into crowds.

Then you've got the 'soft' bonuses like accuracy and recoil. Those are almost entirely personal preference and their usefulness is tied to the specific weapon. I tend to find accuracy more useful than recoil since I typically learn to compensate for recoil myself where accuracy can make the weapon more effective from further out. In general, though, I'll opt for one of the above stats over these and just learn to work with the weapon's innate properties (or find one with properties I prefer).

Midnight
09-24-2015, 12:47 PM
It really is a matter of personal preference...I usually like a good blue or orange roll that accentuates the strength of the weapon...since they are percentage based you get more numerical value from a damage roll on a high damage weapon...

Ray8888
09-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Generally I used to trash all shottys without a mag or reload roll no matter what the other rolls were unless it's a courier. And Snipers without a crit roll. Now that you can upgrade naturals to supreme it's less clear cut though. You could get that perfect supreme roll.

afropick3000
09-27-2015, 09:12 AM
thanks everyone for the info. i will try to put it too good use.