PDA

View Full Version : Considering Purchase. How's this game compare to Fire Fall + few questions

Matacka
04-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Hey guys. I just had a few questions regarding this game as I am very tempted to purchase it and since I currently don't have anything worthwhile to play until Marvel Heroes goes live. Anyways, I understand there are a few of these topics asking if the game is worth buying or not, but what I'd like to know is how this game compares with Fire Fall, granted its still in beta? I also have a few q's if somebody could answer them below.

QUESTIONS:
1.Is the pve both open world and instanced and can you solo a lot of content or are some places group mandatory?
2.How is the loot system? Does it take an mmo's route or diablo/borderlands esque route?
3.Is pvp relatively balanced? Is there a match making system for some sort of balance?
4.Is there open world pvp or any plans for it, or is it just instanced?
5.How is the overall performance? Is it laggy in large open world battles?
6.How does open world group play work. More similar to Rift invasions or Fire Fall's chosen attacking random spots?
7. How does the leveling system work and are there any type of ladders in pve or pvp?

Any other additional feedback would be great, as mentioned earlier I'm looking to pick this up, and hopefully some buds will follow.

Thanks.

Komakala
04-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I haven't played Fire Fall so I can't answer any questions pertaining to it. But I'll answer what I can.

1) Yes, both open world and instanced PvE. I have run through the entire main story mission solo without too many issues. Some missions would be easier with help but for the most part you can do it fine solo.

2) Loot systems are still being adjusted a bit. I believe I understand what you mean by MMO vs Diablo style loot. Loot was all created by hand, it's not randomly generated. There is a massive amount of loot in the game though and I'm still finding new loot on a daily basis that I haven't seen and I was active during both testing phases. I mean, heck there are even shotguns that shoot grenades.

3) PvP is roughly balanced, there are still weapons that are a bit overpowered and are adjusted as needed. For example Grenade Launchers (detonators) and rocket launchers underwent a nerf. Lots of people were bunny hopping around using grenade launchers as their main PvP weapon. But overall from my experience PvP is fairly balanced, it is skill based and in most cases whoever can get the other in their crosshairs first and land the first few shots gets the kill.

4) Yes there is open world PvP in the form of Shadow War, you still have to queue up for it but it takes place in the open world and you have to deal with possible disasters occuring in the middle of the pvp battlefield. But there isn't open world pvp in the form that you can walk up to another player and kill them.

5) I find the gameplay rather smooth, but I have a decent machine. My framerate drops to the high 40s during major arkfalls when I'm surrounded by maybe a hundred other players all shooting at the same boss as me.

6) It is kinda similar to Rift, people in the same area can shoot the same targets both get loot. Enemies scale up in health as you add more players. You don't get dropped in an official public group but you can work together to kill the enemies.

7) Leveling is standard MMO/RPG style, fill the xp bar gain 10 levels. Or you can complete pursuits (achievements) and they often grant you a few levels of ego rating here and there. Increasing weapon skills also gives you ego rating. But with the max level being 5000 it will take a bit for people to reach max. There is talks about including a ladder type system in PvP but currently there isn't such a thing in effect.

This game, like most games is a love it or hate it type affair. Some people come in expecting certain things and if the game doesn't match their expectations exactly they whine and complain. My personal opinion, I like the game, there are still quite a few issues but the dev team is working round the clock trying to resolve our issues. We have a major patch scheduled for April 15thish. We don't know what it will contain right now but it has been said to have 8 pages worth of patch notes. So hopefully some of the biggest issues will be ironed out.

Matacka
04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply on each question. The game does seem very interesting and I am so tempted right now. I am pretty hc into pvp and I love competitive play, and hearing that it's more so balance is a great thing. But I also like the pve in cross genres like these. Hopefully more give their input as I'd like to hear more thoughts. Thanks for the reply agaij, I'll watching more twitch streams to help me make a decision.

Rylie
04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Komakala you could'nt have said any of this better. Your final line is what got me. I read pretty much all the reviews on IGN which was 128 Positive and then 38 Negative. The negative just gripped that lack of content and the chat system is lacking. But the thing is people don't realize is they wanted to go for the more ease of access hence it will be on PC, Ps3 and Xbox 360. Now there are accessories for keyboards and stuff for the consoles, but they just want more interactive chat system i want my yelling so i can troll ( how most games are now unforutnately.

The Gameplay is Buttery Smooth, however the downside would be the jittery animations "cheap" from looking at a distance kind of funny imo but doesnt cause me to HATE the game like most reviews i have seen. Graphics do not make or break the game. and yes im looking at you COD series just rehash but sells millions of copies.

Leveling is the game is interesting the ego system is rather fun to go off of its like woah im level 84 already how!? makes you feel like you progressing rather fast, but thats quite the opposite.

The Questing in the game is typical of any mmo out there. Run here get that kill this run back. Where else do people expect to get XP and level? from craft? GW2 ( which can get you to max level in 3 hours or use to )? Typing (trolling) in chat? No, lets be real its go here kill that x amount of them and turn it in.

The pvp is amazing imo.

Trion is no slouch when it comes to adding more content. Hell the show isnt even out yet we are expected to see alot of crap on april 15! sooo fear not.

dirtyklingon
04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
1.Is the pve both open world and instanced and can you solo a lot of content or are some places group mandatory?
it's all soloable aside from teh dungeons even if you have to suicide zerg and some of it is instanced. heavy phasing in general.
2.How is the loot system? Does it take an mmo's route or diablo/borderlands esque route?
main thing is to earn tokens(keys) to buy lockboxes which give 2-4 items to gear up. also quest rewards...
3.Is pvp relatively balanced? Is there a match making system for some sort of balance?
i would not recomend buying this game for the pvp.
4.Is there open world pvp or any plans for it, or is it just instanced?\
shadow war is vaguely open world. but i would not call it such.
5.How is the overall performance? Is it laggy in large open world battles?
i have a pretty beefy system so it's hard to judge. afaik it's limited to 100 people at a time and it has obv culling and other tricks to mitigate fps issues.
6.How does open world group play work. More similar to Rift invasions or Fire Fall's chosen attacking random spots?
arkfalls are pretty much same thing as rift invasions, minus the hub takeovers. as well for missions you get match made with randos for the same phase of hte mission to complete together including helping each other with quest objectives.
7. How does the leveling system work and are there any type of ladders in pve or pvp?
leveling system is a bit od and cryptic.
there's ego level, which gives different things at different weird levels, from inv slots to perk unlocks to perk slots. there's weapon levels, there's vehicle levels. everything gives different things and it's largely horizontal. it's not a straight vertical power cruve like gw2 or wow.