PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on sting

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 07:49 AM
I've had my sting over a month now. still green mods . and I'm getting tired of hunting. rolling thunder synergy only adds mag and stability ... so if I just saved up for paradise mods instead and forget the synergy would the sting with paradise t5's be pretty much just good (maybe better) than getting the synergy with t4 mods? its seems like the difference would be small and paradise mods seem easier to get since I can just save up and buy em from the vendor. I really find trading in zone tedious . also would setting it up like this effect the tradability of the weapon?

Logain
10-01-2015, 07:57 AM
If I had a sting I would put on T5 Barrel and Mag. Then find Rolling Thunder Stock and Sight. The first two bonuses of RT are useful though the 3/4 syn bonus is not all that useful when firing a VOT Pulser variant from the hip.

Other modifications I would make is to re-roll the crit roll to fire rate. (or Supreme it first if you are so inclined then re-roll the crit mult to fire rate).

For reference: Sting (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?221958-New-Jackpot-Sting-Pulser)

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 08:07 AM
I really don't hip fire that often unless its an explosive or shotgun, I do always like to reduce recoil as much as possible the stock is the green mod I want to replace the most. so I think I'm going to take this T5 route. I just finished collecting the mods for my perforator and I really don't desire anything else from the paradise vendor so I might as well T5 this sting.

Br3ach
10-01-2015, 08:14 AM
I traded for a Sting that had already been loaded with t4 synergy mods. The big perk to Rolling Thunder synergy is the hip accuracy. That gun has the smallest crosshair of any I've used. I believe the biggest reason to equip with synergy mods would be for trade value. If you plan to hold yours forever- then that doesn't matter at all.

After I got damage mastery (frustrating expense of AF on that.) I Supremed mine. I like high crit guns, so rather than changing crit, i rerolled the blue reload roll for fire rate. I haven't ran the numbers to see what the OJ fire rate would do.

I agree with Logain- if you plan to keep the gun & the accuracy isn't very important to you- then the barrel & mag are fine to use t5, but the mag bonus of Rolling Thunder makes it worth using synergy mods for those two at least.

GothScorpion
10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
I got my Sting & looooooooove it to death & also (tongue in cheek) its goes great with my toons name, lol. I agree it does have the smallest crosshairs I found that is only an illusion enemies on either side of it get hit. I only have a barrel t5 n ooooh man does it eat thru mutants & infected like crazy.

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 09:50 AM
yeah the sting is fun, first smg I've gotten that I care to keep.

Fallen_Aingeal
10-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Let me check tonight. I may have some mods for ya...

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 10:43 AM
dude! that is great! also still lovin the crap outta the vbi tacc I bought from you, its never leaving my collection.

Octo
10-01-2015, 01:30 PM
If I had a sting I would put on T5 Barrel and Mag. Then find Rolling Thunder Stock and Sight. The first two bonuses of RT are useful though the 3/4 syn bonus is not all that useful when firing a VOT Pulser variant from the hip.
Other modifications I would make is to re-roll the crit roll to fire rate. (or Supreme it first if you are so inclined then re-roll the crit mult to fire rate).
Well... The thing is, you almost always put a t5 barrel/mag on every smg, for every synergy.
For me, the Sting was designed to go with T4 mods, 15% crit from the hip mastery and a falloff barrel. It's the best way to use the syn/rolls/gun, imho.
If you want to use half the syn and reroll the gun, then... use a Springer D:

Claydough
10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Any rolling thunder smg i usually 3/4 mod it for the hip accuracy.

The acc on a fully modded rt gun feels odd and is harder to aim for crit spots.

Hip firing is the only way to use a pulser, you should never ever be looking down the sight...

GothScorpion
10-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Any rolling thunder smg i usually 3/4 mod it for the hip accuracy.

The acc on a fully modded rt gun feels odd and is harder to aim for crit spots.

Hip firing is the only way to use a pulser, you should never ever be looking down the sight...

hmm Clay thats funny cuz It works sooo much better with a stab sight and when I'm aiming it. It just melts away even biomen. but then we are straying into personal ways ppl play, everyone is different n wat works for me may not for u n vica versa.... thats the great thing about the different weps in defiance, we all can play the way we feel comfortable n still be successful.

WhiteStrike
10-01-2015, 02:10 PM
hmm Clay thats funny cuz It works sooo much better with a stab sight and when I'm aiming it. It just melts away even biomen. but then we are straying into personal ways ppl play, everyone is different n wat works for me may not for u n vica versa.... thats the great thing about the different weps in defiance, we all can play the way we feel comfortable n still be successful.

You might wanna use an Assault Scope if you ADS.

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Valid point and I guess this is why I always preferred ARs to smgs. I have begun trying to hip fire more, but I hate wasting ammo.

on a separate note, I don't fuss with my weapons to much, find the mods, maybe try real roll the mastery once. that's about it. especially since the strangle hold on AF, its just to easy to blow all your AF and still not be pleased . not quite 6k yet got a bit to go, so I know I'm still gonna be spending AF to level up my collection. If I ever reach max level i'll feel more comfortable spending AF on re-rolls and such.

SirServed
10-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Valid point and I guess this is why I always preferred ARs to smgs. I have begun trying to hip fire more, but I hate wasting ammo.

on a separate note, I don't fuss with my weapons to much, find the mods, maybe try real roll the mastery once. that's about it. especially since the strangle hold on AF, its just to easy to blow all your AF and still not be pleased . not quite 6k yet got a bit to go, so I know I'm still gonna be spending AF to level up my collection. If I ever reach max level i'll feel more comfortable spending AF on re-rolls and such.
If you think you're wasting ammo when you miss with a Pulser, go pick up a Needler. Missing with that will show you what wasting ammo really looks like.

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 02:34 PM
If you think you're wasting ammo when you miss with a Pulser, go pick up a Needler. Missing with that will show you what wasting ammo really looks like.

yeah... I really don't like needlers at all... there all about shoot for about 60 seconds... go find ammo, repeat. I try to setup my loadouts so I don't have to rely on ammo boxes or spikes. my fav combo being a good AR and Pump shotgun.

Dixie Cougar
10-01-2015, 02:39 PM
yeah... I really don't like needlers at all... there all about shoot for about 60 seconds... go find ammo, repeat. I try to setup my loadouts so I don't have to rely on ammo boxes or spikes. my fav combo being a good AR and Pump shotgun.

It can be made to work if you kill lots of small mobs and keep advancing to take the dropped ammo. For dpsing spongy stuff or defending a fixed position, it's pretty easy to run out as you say.

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm find and it seems more common recently and more so for things like arkfalls and especially SV you might waste a crowd and get no ammo out of it. sometimes it might be lag and I just can't see the ammo till it catches up, or sometimes its just cheep and there is none around.

SirServed
10-01-2015, 02:53 PM
If your build is too ammo efficient, you lose the ability to kill things quickly. That's a discussion for another thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Dixie Cougar
10-01-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm find and it seems more common recently and more so for things like arkfalls and especially SV you might waste a crowd and get no ammo out of it. sometimes it might be lag and I just can't see the ammo till it catches up, or sometimes its just cheep and there is none around.

When all else fails, blow shtako up.

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 03:04 PM
If your build is too ammo efficient, you lose the ability to kill things quickly. That's a discussion for another thread, so I'll leave it at that.

yeah, I know. I just have my preferences

kettlecooked
10-01-2015, 03:50 PM

How are you wasting ammo though? With Sting (or any pulser variant for that matter) I saunter (j/k, blur) right up to enemies then shoot. When your up close, it's pretty easy to hit your mark when hip firing.

And I agree with those saying T5 mods can replace the RT mods.

Claydough
10-01-2015, 04:02 PM
How are you wasting ammo though? With Sting (or any pulser variant for that matter) I saunter (j/k, blur) right up to enemies then shoot. When your up close, it's pretty easy to hit your mark when hip firing.

Dmg per bullet

That why i always go for the pulser over tachmag, but sadly most of the better weapons are all tachmag varity

David Irwin
10-01-2015, 04:05 PM

preferences I guess.. I've only ever liked using overcharge. I try to keep distance when I can, go for critical hits. definatly most likely to hip fire when enemies get close.