PDA

View Full Version : Dear diary, it's the fourth day, it's been amazing but why do we still have lag?

Oveur
04-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Iíve asked myself this question 3,289 times today. Donít get me wrong. Most territories and platforms are mostly doing great by now. I know very well some of you still have outstanding issues, bugs or customer support tickets waiting. I didnít say everything was perfect. Then weíd be playing all day ourselves.

But little time for that. There are problems to be solved, this is what we signed up for, gaming is what we love doing and weíre incredibly sorry that you have to go through these issues now with us. Thatís why we donít have problems sitting here now on a Friday night hammering through this still. We want to live up to your expectations and in some cases, we obviously arenít. And Iím sorry for that.

But the world is conquered by eating an elephant in small bites accompanied by martinis. And here are todays bites, some of which are stuck in our throat:

US XBOX Ė Our battle with this server cluster continues. Iíd put swearwords here but I think you can hear me in your head right now. You will have noticed some great server moments in the last 24 hours, some not so great. We continue to re-configure, deploy fixes, roll some back, try something different, measure, analyze. Thereís just so many of you shooting so much. If you could just be nice and all get along. Hellbugs have feelings too you know. This is by far our top issue. Weíve thrown a ton of more hardware at it (we had reinforcements ready), changed client-server protocol to remove load balancing setups to have less moving parts and a host server code changes.

Game Server Crashes Ė These are the service not available and service timeouts you see. Todayís server code update alone had 9 different game server crash fixes. Some happened rarely, others were quite frequent. It all adds up. You should see less of service not available and the timeouts now although just tonight weíve spotted a few other ones.

Connectivity and patching Ė This one is still on the list. There are so many new players joining us and we even have a few of you which are still patching. Weíve deployed patches, reconfigured contend distribution networks and continue to do so based your reports of where you are in the world having problems.

Chat & VOIP Ė Back on the list again, we have some fixes for this, both that we can do server side but also client side. Unfortunately client patches of this nature canít be deployed till the 15th as mentioned yesterday.

Iím not listing here individual gameplay items, such as general balance, mission changes, enabling or disabling missions or side-missions (such as due to exploits). That doesnít mean they arenít important, itís because this is always important and constantly going on with a dedicated team. I did list Arkfalls, simply because that affected so many of us. Now to the happy part. We all enjoy happy endings. Like in the Fifth Element. Always makes me cry.

Whatís our DLC plan? Ė Iíve seen a lot of you mention this and this is material for an entire blog post because there is so much I want to talk about. However, letís be short. There are at least 5 DLCs this year. They all have a free and paid component. We do not want to segregate our playerbase so we always want everybody be able to participate and play with friends. The free part is features and content, the paid part is essentially, say, access to a new playable species with a bundle of stuff with it. The upcoming TV tie-ins arenít DLCs that cost either. Itís all yours.

More updates enroute Ė Today fixes some disappearing item cases, more Arkfall loot love, mission and side-mission updates in addition to all the optimizations and bugfixes we deployed to improve the server crashes. Our patch around the 15th is in testing and on its way into certification. We anticipate to update our servers with code updates daily. XBOX of course more frequently till we fix it. Which we will.

Another big patch? - Itís Friday night and it's tricky to rock a rhyme that's right on time. We have a patch around the 15th but weíve already started work on the massive patch thatís coming roughly 2 weeks later. There are so many things we canít fix, add or improve right away and have to be part of a larger client patch. Thatís why we have two planned. After that you should see a nice shiny DLC.

The summary is, we have the cavalry out, weíre not giving up till we make this an awesome experience for you and as I mentioned yesterday, figuring out a way to make it up to you. When I find a way to make it all work, Iíll let you know here first. Promise. Besides of course just fixing the damn thing.

I hope Iím not still in your head swearing. That wouldnít be very nice of me. Especially on a Friday. If it was Thursday, it would probably be fine.

Again, our apologies. After 5 years of creating this, it saddens us and frustrates us that you arenít getting the great experience we strived to create. The upside is that it makes us quite determined to get you there.

A A,

Oveur

Feyniphia
04-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Don't worry Oveur, You'll get this stuff worked out very fast. Got faith in you! Can't wait to see the DLC and the patch soon!

Shane5484
04-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I dont understand how any trion staff can be working on dlc's that are coming out in six months or a year when, with the game in its current state you will have no player base in a month.

Bluegobln
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Some of us are getting the best MMO experience we've had in years. That's saying something.

For everyone else that isn't, I know you guys are working hard to get them on the same level as us. They have a lot of awesome to look forward to and you can be proud of that no matter how frustrating the struggle.

For anyone having trouble getting to playing the game, or server issues, or whatever is wrong - don't worry, when you finally get through this stuff it IS SO WORTH IT. I hope you keep that in mind even though you may lose patience (nobody is possessed with infinite patience). It will still be here, and so will we!

Honved
04-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I dont understand how any trion staff can be working on dlc's that are coming out in six months or a year when, with the game in its current state you will have no player base in a month.

Sadly I agree, I'm not even angry, more disheartened. After building this game up for months I feel like I flat out lied to people, I still enjoy the game although much of the core content needs work. I'll be playing for another month or two to see if progress is made. I do get the sense trion is trying to see with what they can and cannot get away with. =/ I was apart of the warhammer online release and that went smoother. =/

Mog
04-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Ya know game development is usually structured into numerous teams that all work on different things. The entire team does not just work on troubleshooting issues. Different people on the team have different skills and not everybody has the skill set to troubleshoot server code or bug issues etc. I am sure they have all the people who can work on troubleshooting doing just that. Many of the Devs specialize in specific areas of development so they would working on those areas. It would not make sense to take a guy who does design and put him on debugging server code.

Raehvyn
04-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Sadly I agree, I'm not even angry, more disheartened. After building this game up for months I feel like I flat out lied to people, I still enjoy the game although much of the core content needs work. I'll be playing for another month or two to see if progress is made. I do get the sense trion is trying to see with what they can and cannot get away with. =/ I was apart of the warhammer online release and that went smoother. =/

It is very unlikely the team is moronic enough to think that DLC is more important. You might think they're trying to find a way to see what they can get away with but that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. They want more people around for the DLC, right?

Chances are there are teams. One working on the DLC, one working on fixing all of these problems. I say that not because of experience but because this has been explained before to us on other MMOs. Mass Effect mentioned that when a game goes to get certified it takes time. So during that time they go and create DLC, so chances are the DLC has been in creation before hand.

You're playing an online game. There is no way to fully test something like this without it going live, is the general consensus. Anyone who bought the game or preordered it and planned to play within the first week or two should have had a good idea as to what to expect. I don't remember Warhammer's launch but I do remember them breaking everything any time they tried to fix anything. I remember a game unable to support the size of the battles it had, absolutely broken classes, and glitches all over the place. Keep taking might as well have been called bug wrestling.

See? Every game has issues. They said they are looking into compensating us, so let us be happy we've communication with them at all and that we know they're not sitting around derping all over.

Mutated Spleen
04-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Well that's because you don't understand how game development works (and I realize that probably came off offensively - I promise I did not intend it as such). It's not one dude working in his basement to bring us this game. It's a large, cohesive team, where different departments have different tasks. Having 493 people work on fixing Problem A when it's a job for 3 people is a waste of resources, and ineffectual at the least. I guarantee you there is a team working on fixing the issues, and a separate team working on the DLC, and probably about 13-28 other teams working on other things.

Anyway, even if the game stayed exactly the same, I, personally, would be playing it for at least another month, probably more. I still have to finish the majority of the main campaign, I have played 0 PVP, I have done none of the instances, etc. There is a ton of content for me to finish, and a couple silly glitches aren't going to stop me from that.

EDIT: Damn you whiskey! I didn't read the post immediately above this which says, more or less, the same thing, albeit a bit nicer <_<

Shane5484
04-05-2013, 11:45 PM
The only conclusion I can come up with is that Trion was forced to release game early by syfy. I say this becouse this game is not even close to being public.

Merrin Nightbringer
04-05-2013, 11:50 PM
F*&^ the haters. Not trying to sound like some kind of Trion fanboy, but let's be real: we've all seen launches go much, much, worse and not get NEARLY the level of support and dedication we're seeing from Trion.

As for the DLC, this kind of stuff has been in the works since before launch, probably while the game was in beta. Anyone who knows a little bit about how most game developers work these days realizes that they have dedicated teams to specific tasks or portions of the game. Is it likely that they peeled some staff OFF DLC production to work on this? You bet- Trion did it before with Rift.

Can't wait to see this game/show hybrid really take off. My prediction: hundreds, perhaps thousands, saying "well, I thought it was gonna be lame at first, but now it's totally f(*&^ng awesome."

Thanks again to the Trion staff for their continued dedication to their playerbase.

Shane5484
04-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Well that's because you don't understand how game development works (and I realize that probably came off offensively - I promise I did not intend it as such). It's not one dude working in his basement to bring us this game. It's a large, cohesive team, where different departments have different tasks. Having 493 people work on fixing Problem A when it's a job for 3 people is a waste of resources, and ineffectual at the least. I guarantee you there is a team working on fixing the issues, and a separate team working on the DLC, and probably about 13-28 other teams working on other things.

Anyway, even if the game stayed exactly the same, I, personally, would be playing it for at least another month, probably more. I still have to finish the majority of the main campaign, I have played 0 PVP, I have done none of the instances, etc. There is a ton of content for me to finish, and a couple silly glitches aren't going to stop me from that.

Well your right I dont know what goes into making a game exactly but I am not ignorant and have a general idea. There are way more then a couple of silly glitches wrong with this game. I will not make a list but I will let you know I am founder of large clan in game and we were in Alpha as well. I here of all kinds of issues happening to many different people. I see Trion attempting to make repairs and creating more problems. Many of our clan members are Rift players and are starting to loose faith in Trion wich sucks becouse 3 months ago all I heard was praise.

MacDeath
04-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for these daily updates Oveur. I have a feeling that you'll be posting em for quite a while yet. Trying to get a game like this working to ALL your customers satisfaction across three platforms won't ever be easy.

So, here's some free advice from someone who's been to several goat ropes and a punkin roll or two (slang saying that it ain't my first rodeo, as I know it aint yours either). You AND your team need to take some time off for needed rest. Dead tired coders and wizards make mistakes and overlook clues. If you've got folks that haven't had any sleep in more than 24 hours, SEND EM TO BED! They'll solve these issues more quickly when they come back fresh.

Stay Frosty

Shane5484
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
F*&^ the haters. Not trying to sound like some kind of Trion fanboy, but let's be real: we've all seen launches go much, much, worse and not get NEARLY the level of support and dedication we're seeing from Trion.

As for the DLC, this kind of stuff has been in the works since before launch, probably while the game was in beta. Anyone who knows a little bit about how most game developers work these days realizes that they have dedicated teams to specific tasks or portions of the game. Is it likely that they peeled some staff OFF DLC production to work on this? You bet- Trion did it before with Rift.

Can't wait to see this game/show hybrid really take off. My prediction: hundreds, perhaps thousands, saying "well, I thought it was gonna be lame at first, but now it's totally f(*&^ng awesome."

Thanks again to the Trion staff for their continued dedication to their playerbase.

Actually this is my first game launch on the p/c so I cant compare it to anything, but I am guessing that if it gets any worse many people wont stick it out past 30 days.

MacDeath
04-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Actually this is my first game launch on the p/c so I cant compare it to anything, but I am guessing that if it gets any worse many people wont stick it out past 30 days.
Lots of people won't stick it out past 30 days no matter what Trion does. For MOST MMOs ~ 70% of those who bought the game aren't still playing after 30 days. There can be several reasons for that. Most important is probably that a particular game isn't fun for someone. No game is right for everyone and sometimes it isn't easy to tell if it's the right game for you until you've played it for a week or two. Another reason can be that based on a player's playstyle, they have accomplished all that they wanted to within the first 30 days.

Shane5484
04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Lots of people won't stick it out past 30 days no matter what Trion does. For MOST MMOs ~ 70% of those who bought the game aren't still playing after 30 days. There can be several reasons for that. Most important is probably that a particular game isn't fun for someone. No game is right for everyone and sometimes it isn't easy to tell if it's the right game for you until you've played it for a week or two. Another reason can be that based on a player's playstyle, they have accomplished all that they wanted to within the first 30 days.

This is where good PvP comes in. Competitive PvP players will stick with a good game until server shuts down. I played mag for 2000 hours over 2 years and would still be playing it if sony maintained the servers.
Defiance shows great potential and I believe has bin badly hurt by a poor release product. Game should be in testing for another six months.

Zantium
04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the update, direct communication is much appreciated but sadly lacking from most other developers.
Enjoying most of what I've played so far, haven't seen many of the problems, perhaps due to being on PC.

JohnMcClane
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Thank you Nathan .
Messages from the front are always good for moral.

Dradiin
04-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Great another post from a dev who does not even come close to addressing mine and several others issue of NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE FRICKING CLIENT !!!

72hrs later i get a reply to my support ticket.... FRICKING form letter basically telling me to READ THE FORUMS.

Seriously?

Trion, this is your customer support? Something you had a GREAT reputation with gamers.

Give me a refund, Fix your installer, RELEASE A EFFING TORRENT, or mail me the client on a CD. This is absolute horsecrap that its late Friday night and i am still having issues with the download of the client.

I am sure this will go ignored, like it has been in the support forums.

Jomina
04-06-2013, 02:01 AM
I have had bugs, including one that is completely progression-stopping for one of my characters, but, know what?

I am still loving the game and still playing it every minute I get the chance. That should tell you how much fun you guys have made this game for at least one of your customers ;)

Keep up the good work. The fact that you are as communicative to us as a developer as you are means a lot to me, to say the least :)

Jomina
04-06-2013, 02:06 AM

heh I have been around MMOs since the grandaddy, Ultima Online, opened its doors, and have seen some really... REALLY.. bad launches. REALLY bad. Terrible bad. Bad enough to cost companies their entire company.

This? This has been smooth as silk compared to some I have been through.

I encountered a bug on one of my characters tonight that has stopped progression of the story line, but I just went back to playing my other character until they get the other one fixed (I am sure they will). Even went through a 2 hour rollback one night.

That's nothing compared to the WEEK LONG rollback I went through on one game lol that was bad. 2 hours? Yeah, thjat's not good, but it can be dealt with. It happens.

You are right in that some people will not stick aruund during troubles, but I, for one, will still be here, playing and having a great time.

MacDeath
04-06-2013, 02:12 AM
This is where good PvP comes in. Competitive PvP players will stick with a good game until server shuts down. I played mag for 2000 hours over 2 years and would still be playing it if sony maintained the servers.
Defiance shows great potential and I believe has bin badly hurt by a poor release product. Game should be in testing for another six months.
Aye, in PvP the players make the content. I've been playing DAoC for 12 years now, from beta up thru last night. It's a great PvP game with some elements of PvE as well. Last night I was Main Tanking in a Dragon Raid. IMO, players will stay longer in a good PvP game but, some non-PvP elements need to be available too. All player wacking all the time gets old.

Enrayha
04-06-2013, 02:52 AM
Still not able to full download and install the game. Ur patcher is the worst i have ever seen...

I startet my Pc Monday to download ur game. Need 14h to download it. I tryed all sollutions in this forum ( never played the beta). I downloaded the Torrent, but ur Patcher dont accept my downloaded files. 2 times i thought wow, only 1h left, and than u bring a new patch or what ever. Only a half hour ago my 7th download failed with only 20mins left.... My last option is to try it with a full installed game from a buddy, but i dont know anyone near to me who dont have the same problems...

This rly piss me off. I have many patient with bugs in game or server lags. Than i can play another game, while u fix it, but not here, cause i need to download so i cant do much with my i-net...

I cant understand why a game company released a game with a patcher like this. If its only 1gb to load ok, but 10,6gb needs many time for people without options to a highspeed dsl.

An example. I know at the headstart of Aion some people had this problems to, but they fixed it in 24h after release.

BL4CKST4R
04-06-2013, 04:32 AM
keep up the good oveur I don't care what anyone else say I love this :D

Dradiin
04-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Still not able to full download and install the game. Ur patcher is the worst i have ever seen...

I startet my Pc Monday to download ur game. Need 14h to download it. I tryed all sollutions in this forum ( never played the beta). I downloaded the Torrent, but ur Patcher dont accept my downloaded files. 2 times i thought wow, only 1h left, and than u bring a new patch or what ever. Only a half hour ago my 7th download failed with only 20mins left.... My last option is to try it with a full installed game from a buddy, but i dont know anyone near to me who dont have the same problems...

This rly piss me off. I have many patient with bugs in game or server lags. Than i can play another game, while u fix it, but not here, cause i need to download so i cant do much with my i-net...

I cant understand why a game company released a game with a patcher like this. If its only 1gb to load ok, but 10,6gb needs many time for people without options to a highspeed dsl.

An example. I know at the headstart of Aion some people had this problems to, but they fixed it in 24h after release.

In the same boat as you, and the ******s at Trion and all the White Knighters who get to play turn a blind eye to those of us who have struggled this ENTIRE week.

I can handle in game bugs, i can handle server outages, but what i cannot tolerate is tying up my internet for an ENTIRE WEEK trying to DL with one of the ABSOLUTE worst patcher/downloader ever.

What is even worse was this was REPORTED multiple times from beta testers and it was released in this **** state.

WHY IN THE HELL WAS THIS NOT RELEASED AS A TORRENT ALSO ??????

WHY IN THE HELL WONT YOU LET US USE TORRENTED CLIENTS ?????

Is Trion that completely oblivious ?

ItISLupus
04-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Everybody is still complaining, saying that you guys are horrible and didn't do enough testing. I'm not. In fact I admire you guys, this is my first Trion game and by far the one I intend on spending a massive amount of time on. But, the fact that you guys are doing these blog posts and keeping visible on the forums instead of hiding in your server room all "Y U DO DIS SERVER!" and smacking it with a hammer(like I imagined a few of your techs doing with your last post). There is a fickle balance between community relations and bug fixing, and you guys seem to have found that balance.

It's good to hear there is a major patch incoming from the live side of things.

necrofobic
04-06-2013, 05:58 AM
was prolly a lil early to go live, but i gotta applaud you guys going the extra mile to keep everyone informed about the situation, always nice to see that its just not a product to be showed out the gates and forgotten about in 2 weeks

ItISLupus
04-06-2013, 06:52 AM
was prolly a lil early to go live, but i gotta applaud you guys going the extra mile to keep everyone informed about the situation, always nice to see that its just not a product to be showed out the gates and forgotten about in 2 weeks

The game itself is fine, I don't think Trion expected this kind of player base for the 360. But even if the servers weren't nearly at capacity and it's a server hardware issue, it wouldn't have been simple to diagnose even if they could see it.

I work as a mechanic at my area bowling alley. I see exactly what these guys are trying to fix on a daily basis.

lundwooder
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Maybe you should get a better Internet deal

ironhands
04-06-2013, 08:25 AM

the 3d modellers, texture artists, and map designers would likely be of little to no help fixing loot bugs and server stability

Honved
04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
See? Every game has issues. They said they are looking into compensating us, so let us be happy we've communication with them at all and that we know they're not sitting around derping all over.

First off I don't approve of the condescending tone, Of course there are teams and yes mmo's have a track record of being buggy, What I am pointing out is their lack of follow through. They have been aware of many of these bugs since alpha and beta but are now just getting to them. It is a classic case of the right hand not know what the left is doing, and there is little accountability for it on their part. Even their patches don't fully do what they claim. This is not a bash post, this is a fact post, this game is still very fun and I enjoy it but that doesn't mean I should overlook the flaws. I make these posts in hopes of helping to improve this game however with that being said it does feel rushed and there have been better opening weeks of mmo's that died off quickly.

So when I say "I feel like they are seeing how much they can get away with." I mean how much they can blame on it being opening week, it's like how games now finish with a shorter then average story but give you dlc to make it longer and more enjoyable. Gaming companies are essentially giving teasers because they aren't being held accountable for the games that they release, not saying that defiance is one of these but then again I'm not saying it isn't either. (yay double negatives.)

Honved
04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
the 3d modellers, texture artists, and map designers would likely be of little to no help fixing loot bugs and server stability

However with how many people are falling through the map they may have insight since they also have to know how to program their given area, along with the bug of pvp outfits not showing up I believe they all could have some insight. The point is the core content is flawed and they are still spreading their resources, not that it is necessarily a bad thing, but this game feels like a beta.

TheChronomancer
04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I am a 360 player and a first timer on an MMO, got my game on Thurs (tks Gamestock for shorting my preorder) and was really worried. The lag and booting greatly concerned me, but last night I played for three hours with very little lag and what can I say, but I'm hooked! Awesome game and I can't wait to get home and start killing some hellbugs. Keep up the good work!

wingers17
04-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I am really enjoying this game and glad I bought it. But...

I am very frustrated with Customer Service and the advertising for this game. On Trion's website and Steam, the DDE says you get the title Badlands Drifter, but CS says it's only for Collectors/Ultimate. I don't understand why they don't just give the DDE purchasers the stupid title that they have advertised for months and are still advertising it.

It's minor, but it is bugging me.

Quiz
04-06-2013, 11:15 AM

What support? I got a rude reply full of irrellevant links when I asked where my Digital Deluxe and free Rift copy was. You know, the stuff I paid 20euro extra for, that I didnt get.

Quiz
04-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I am really enjoying this game and glad I bought it. But...

I am very frustrated with Customer Service and the advertising for this game. On Trion's website and Steam, the DDE says you get the title Badlands Drifter, but CS says it's only for Collectors/Ultimate. I don't understand why they don't just give the DDE purchasers the stupid title that they have advertised for months and are still advertising it.

It's minor, but it is bugging me.

This is not minor IMHO.

Raserei
04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
PC users are currently DCing every 15-30 minutes and I think it is only PvP instances.

Migrayne
04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Good to hear you are working on so much. Glad chat and VoIP are on the list. Could you leak if we are finally getting push to talk?

r3dl4nce
04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Keep up the good work!

however, if Trion devs could fix the chat problems (voice chat must be turned off again every time we login to the game, no push to talk, muting voice chat mutes text chats too) could be even better...

Ithi
04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Again, our apologies. After 5 years of creating this, it saddens us and frustrates us that you arenít getting the great experience we strived to create. The upside is that it makes us quite determined to get you there.

A A,

Oveur

In the main, my husband and I are finding Defiance to be thoroughly enjoyable. It is exciting and a fun change from the MMO's I have been used to.

Unfortunately, we have found it to be subject to RIFT's "8 o'clock syndrome". I suppose it would hit mainland Europe at nine pm., but here in England, when we played RIFT it always became unplayable around 8 pm. Defiance is following the same pattern.

What IS it with the after dinner hour, folks? Our playing time in the evening is absolute trash. It lasts for a bit over an hour, then it picks back up.

We have been consistently kicked out of game each night around this time, and the laaaag is aaaawwwwfuuullll.
Could you all please feed your hamsters a bit more lunch or something, so they can keep running past 8 o'clock? T'would be much appreciated here in Europe.

Turns Greene
04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you for being a awesome company and responding to the issues and complaints at hand!

Xaearth
04-06-2013, 06:16 PM

I don't know what "warhammer online release" you're talking about, but the WARhammer Online: Age of Reckoning release, which was full of game breaking bugs thanks to a premature release forced by what has come to be known as the second worst publisher in the world (Atari is worse than EA by miles, you just don't know it because Atari doesn't do jack **** anymore... except screw up anything with a D&D license), had, at the very least, one undeniable and massively glaring flaw that is absent in Defiance - those of us in the game can actually participate in battles with more than 20 people in the same area, even 50+ with a slight drop in fps. Compare that to WAR's PQs and keep seiges which were a festival of rubberbanding, stuttering, abilities not going off...

We don't even have to compare the bugs between the two, this simple instance shows that Defiance is miles and leagues a far more successful launch than WAR. Is it perfect? No, but no launch has been perfect. But for some of us, Defiance has been pretty close, as close as could be expected.

And Trion gets bonus points for not shooting themselves in the foot (yet) for this first week of release.
(Yes Mythic, it was a >great< idea to cut off a vast majority of content from everyone on your Open RvR servers just to "save the noobs". Bawk-bawk!)

Epicgrade
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Good work! Trion has always lived up to my expectations(former Rift player from beta)

THE CRAZZED
04-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Lets keep in mind that I for one am very happy that they are keeping us informed and think they r doing great but lets not be getting worked up when they are good enough to let us know what's going on and give us an I'm sorry. I think that's Awesome!

oops519
04-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Can we get more specific patch notes when the patches are released? I like to be informed about the changes that occur in the game. The last two updates (unless I'm looking in the wrong place) have been very vague. It was mentioned that detonators were "tuned". Were they buffed or nerfed? It was also mentioned that a weapon was removed but no name was given. Why the lack of specifics? Why not tell us exactly what's being changed?

Jafo
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I like this guy..i really do. He communicates, unlike lots of other devs (cough EA cough), he's got a wicked sense of humour about the whole thing as well.

Just please...if your gonna do side missions in DLC...lets at least not make the EXACTLY the same as the story mission? pretty please?

finesthops
04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
i am willing to give this game some time. I have participated in many PC MMO game launches to include WoW, Rift, GW2 (to name a couple large ones) and they had their issues, but the server crashing was not one of them. THAT is a major game killing bug. Please get this fixed very quickly as after 2 weeks your looking at loosing a 10% player base a week (conservatively) after this is the issue remains....and thats not including any of the other bugs either.

We understand your working as fast as you can to get this fixed...however im sure you have already lost a player base forever already.....well forget them. they are just haters and want everything to be perfect right away. At the 30 day mark your bound to loose more players who just get tired of the game and dont like it. Forget them....its going to happen and always does. Right now Defiance if the only 3rd person shooter MMO i can think of off the top of my head. Im sure there are a couple that are not nearly as good and have a budget of $10 a month out there. This creates a HUGE possibility for a massive player base if done right....plus with the lack oof "pay to win" items in the store, and no subscription costs....thats a huge win.

Please keep up the work and in the very least....most important than anything else...KEEP US INFORMED. Post immediatly when a server crashes. Let us know. Let us feel loved. I am sure that many (excluding the haters) will agree that keeping us informed as you get the information will be the easiest way to extend your player base and making us a little more forgiving for awhile. Many MMOs die at their 30/60 day mark due to lack of flowing information and support. Even if you dont have a fix for a ticket. Do NOT send some generic email saying "Read the forums"....say hey we are sorry, we dont have a fix right now and are trying to fix it faster than a fat guy trying to get to the buffet....check the forums for any updates. me love you long time.

One last thing....utilize the patch notes section on the launcher....BEST way to inform us of issues. we see that before the forums or even launching the game....as sad as it is, save me the 30 seconds of finding out a server is down, im happy. Small things here and there can make just as large an impression as 1 huge things, if not more.

Thunderclap
04-07-2013, 11:45 AM
hey can you guys release the full North america map that the Defiance twitter people are showing pieces of? Also any objections about us creating lore to share with the base (and you) like saying what happened to our hometown. Provided this doesn't interfer with your master plan is this ok?

Dezial
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Anyone who's played an Open world MMORPG, should know that the first month or so is going to really rough and filled with Patches and updates. I played WoW before picking this up and even now with the new expansion that they had they're still fixing bugs and issues with game play. If it bothers you that badly that your having game play issues then maybe this isn't the right type of game for you. Please don't take is offensively but if you can't wait for them to make the fixes and repairs then go find something else to do besides moan and groan about it.

Balan
04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I just want to say thank you!!!!! To the Devs and everyone working on all the issues with the game. You have kept in touch with us the players and have been keeping us informed and updated on everything you are doing. It is obvious that you all love this game as much as we the players do.

So again Thank you!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!