PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a Better Assault Rifle?

Tilarta
10-23-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm having difficulty (dying every attempt!) with some Arena relating to EReps (main mission, Gunslinger Trial chain).

Since I'm specializing in Assault Rifles, I researched where to find a better one.
The results were both surprising and disappointing:
http://forums.defiance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9418&d=1445636357

Where can I go to find an Assault Rifle that can obliterate 5-7 ERep Soldiers in one attack?
Yes, that is how many are thrown at me minimum, often it's more!

"This rifle needs more salt, it's not salty enough".

And please do not discuss other weapons, at this point, I've tried all the different kinds there are, only rocket launcher made a decent impact, but the low magazine size and slow reload made it inefficient.

Clubbed Seal
10-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Everyone has their personal preferences, and here's mine: I like the high-powered flavors of the FRC Assault Carbine. My fire nano and bio nano Fate's Kiss have been very good to me. Only catch with that rifle is the recoil, so I use overcharge with it. A lot.

Bentu
10-23-2015, 03:08 PM
With the current Hulker hell event on I would of thought you'd be able to get a half decent ar from one of the arkfalls or even the gift box. If that's not what you're looking for the try the semi auto frontier battle rifle and put a burst mag on it.
Otherwise I'd suggest a Saw if you haven't already tried them.

Edit. What system and server are you on?

Logain
10-23-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm having difficulty (dying every attempt!) with some Arena relating to EReps (main mission, Gunslinger Trial chain).

Since I'm specializing in Assault Rifles, I researched where to find a better one.
The results were both surprising and disappointing:
http://forums.defiance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9418&d=1445636357

Where can I go to find an Assault Rifle that can obliterate 5-7 ERep Soldiers in one attack?
Yes, that is how many are thrown at me minimum, often it's more!

"This rifle needs more salt, it's not salty enough".

And please do not discuss other weapons, at this point, I've tried all the different kinds there are, only rocket launcher made a decent impact, but the low magazine size and slow reload made it inefficient.

If you are low EGO you are not going to kill 5-7 ERep soldiers in one clip (I think its been awhile since I was a low EGO). If the ERep soldiers have shields look for a AR with electric nano. Electric nano will take out the shields quickly. If you are talking other enemies that do not have shields look for a fire nano AR.

Frontier Carbines from the Top Notch supply crate are a good choice because of a 10% Rep DMG bonus (Note: there are two flavors of Frontier Carbines, 1 is semi auto the other is full auto. Read the gun card description to determine which it is. I prefer the full atuo one). Another good AR is the EMC Service Rifle found in the VBI Box. It is the VBI AR variant and is full auto and has a 10% Rep DMG bonus as well.

To kill effectively make sure you have some defensive perks equipped already. Also make use of objects to hide behind. Shoot and take cover. Also make it a point to shoot the enemy in the crit spot (humanoids that is the head).

Good luck.

s1cKb0y
10-23-2015, 03:13 PM
blackened hellfire AR fully modded is the way to go! good crits and lifesteal! if u cant find one, a hallowed service rifle is not bad, rad/fire nano and fully modd it to get lifesteal!

Tilarta
10-23-2015, 08:14 PM
With the current Hulker hell event on I would of thought you'd be able to get a half decent AR from one of the arkfalls or even the gift box.
What system and server are you on?

PC/Steam, North America.
I hope this isn't the kind of game that binds your character to a specific server!

I didn't know the event was good for anything.
In other mmos, they were absolutely useless, so I tend to disregard them as standard procedure.

If you are low EGO you are not going to kill 5-7 ERep soldiers in one clip. If the ERep soldiers have shields look for a AR with electric nano. Electric nano will take out the shields quickly.

EGO Rating: 433.
Yes, the ERep soldiers are shielded.

Claydough
10-23-2015, 09:08 PM
If you are low EGO you are not going to kill 5-7 ERep soldiers in one clip (I think its been awhile since I was a low EGO). If the ERep soldiers have shields look for a AR with electric nano. Electric nano will take out the shields quickly. If you are talking other enemies that do not have shields look for a fire nano AR.

Frontier Carbines from the Top Notch supply crate are a good choice because of a 10% Rep DMG bonus (Note: there are two flavors of Frontier Carbines, 1 is semi auto the other is full auto. Read the gun card description to determine which it is. I prefer the full atuo one). Another good AR is the EMC Service Rifle found in the VBI Box. It is the VBI AR variant and is full auto and has a 10% Rep DMG bonus as well.

To kill effectively make sure you have some defensive perks equipped already. Also make use of objects to hide behind. Shoot and take cover. Also make it a point to shoot the enemy in the crit spot (humanoids that is the head).

Good luck.

back when i was a noob i fell in love with saws due to the fact i could kill multiple enemy's in a single clip.

and i believe i use the green vendor saws upgrading every few hundered ego and breaking the weapon and recycling the mods.

i believe i score a hellfire ar at around 2000 ego and used that upto and for a long time after i hit the ego cap (mag mag crit dmg to be exact)

PTR47
10-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Dude, get into the holiday majors ASAP.

There's 3 types of ARs dropping (AR, LMG & SMG), as well as an invader, a wolfhound pistol and an auto shotgun. All nanos, plus mods for all. Should definitely be worth some of your time, even if you don't get a named. At low ego, I wouldn't worry about the named guns, but you get chances for epics at each event plus a free guaranteed epic at alcatraz for doing your first major of the day... it's a great time to jump in.

Tilarta
10-23-2015, 11:45 PM
I tried a couple of the Holiday events and all it achieved was to annoy me.

First off, the major ones are always at the south end of the map, with no waypoints, requiring a very long drive.
So long in fact, a Hulker event ended before I even made it down there!
And secondly, it's giving the gun I hate most, shotguns!

I tried an SAW, but the one I've got must have terrible recoil, I can barely keep it on target in precision targeting mode.

Claydough
10-23-2015, 11:47 PM
smg's have recoil?

Tilarta
10-23-2015, 11:55 PM
That was an error, I meant SAW.
It has been corrected.

Gaige12
10-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Any electric blast rifle (not Mazu) is good. I use a Supremed Empousa and shields drop like prom dresses at midnight. :D

Edit; Sry jusy noticed your ego. Chimera stuff is ego 5k. My bad.

WhiteStrike
10-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Any electric blast rifle (not Mazu) is good. I use a Supremed Empousa and shields drop like prom dresses at midnight. :D

Edit; Sry jusy noticed your ego. Chimera stuff is ego 5k. My bad.
They aren't very good.

Gaige12
10-24-2015, 12:29 AM
They aren't very good.

I dont know about that. I first place a lot of events running the Empousa, and other BR's in diff nano flavors. Lately, a Scourge/Troll cannon/ or CF in secondary. I've given away more AR's than I can count.

PTR47
10-24-2015, 12:34 AM

First off, the major ones are always at the south end of the map, with no waypoints, requiring a very long drive.

I tried an SAW, but the one I've got must have terrible recoil, I can barely keep it on target in precision targeting mode.

The shotgun isn't great. SMGs are spot on -- pretty much lazers. Thunders are good in aim. I don't actually have much experience with Service Rifles. I expect they're a bit skittish, but not horribly so.

Are you in a clan? ask a friend to get you to the fast travel points. Shouldn't take 5 minutes. Otherwise, it's useful to go the the fast travel sites. You just need to drive to them once and they'll be on your map.

Bentu
10-24-2015, 12:40 AM

Try typing in chat for help to get the fast travel points on the south of the map or even join a clan, one of the first things they do is make sure that you can get everywhere.
They may also have some gear they could pass on to you which is why I asked for your system and server info, I would of given you a couple of things to tied you over but me being on xbox makes it impossible.

WhiteStrike
10-24-2015, 01:08 AM
I dont know about that. I first place a lot of events running the Empousa, and other BR's in diff nano flavors. Lately, a Scourge/Troll cannon/ or CF in secondary. I've given away more AR's than I can count.

Do the math and you'll understand my point.

Tilarta
10-24-2015, 05:01 AM
I got an purple Assault Rifle from one of the minor Event Arkfalls.
And was immediately disappointed I put any effort into getting it, it was worse then the blue Assault Rifle I've had since the start of the game!
So now I'm done with events as a source for loot.

Anywhere else to find them?

hempman
10-24-2015, 05:30 AM
keep doing the Bigger Events.
i too noticed the one drop i got out of a minor of a purple rad ar had worse stats than the majors.
example,it has .30 bloom,so even with a t5 recoil its never going to be worth building.
not all guns are created Equal and your Rolls matter.
i have some of the new oj ars with .02 bloom and a 100 in the mag with nanos,and they rip.

check out the Saws on this event as well,
ive noticed those have Low bloom Right from the start Before you even mod it up.
the lower the bloom,the steadier the gun is...

MIIKKAA
10-24-2015, 06:05 AM
You get quite nice ar during one of the first episode missions. Im talking about the EMC XAR-22.
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/EMC_XAR-22.

When i was low ego i used it for a time. I think to remeber it was very aceptable even with the electric nano. I selled @ the vendor (same as the Detu Ara) and now i regreat so much. I would love to oj it now.

cmpowell
10-24-2015, 06:31 AM
You should buy solepter supply crates with your rep you can get voton blast rifles and pulsers

Johnny Gatt
10-24-2015, 06:58 AM
At low ego a good assault rifle is essential. However, one thing a low ego arkhunter needs to learn quickly to survive, is that you can't run missions alone. Group up with friends, clan mates, any random players who happen to be nearby, whatever it takes. If you are having trouble with the gunslinger missions, the trials/arenas are going to be near impossible for you to attempt on a solo run. Too bad you are on pc, as I play on both consoles and would have been able to help.

Sevrin
10-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Logain and Sick and the other posters have all offered excellent suggestions. The current HH event offers a rare opportunity to get an array of better than average service rifles (ARs) in different nanos and all with lifesteal to help you stay alive (since you mentioned dying a lot in your OP). I wish I had access to those ARs when I was a lower ego. Make the effort to get to the major event ark falls, it will be worth your while. Who knows, you may end up with a Grave Digger and then you'd be set :).

Fallen_Aingeal
10-24-2015, 10:37 AM
If you can't handle a little bloom, should probably seek another weapon type.

I've been using the same AR{Beauty} since the first EXL event in Oct' '13. It has a bloom of .21. I learned to adapt with it and can outscore most of the time. It's all about learning the weapon and tuning your play style to adjust...

Logain
10-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Do the math and you'll understand my point.

Against heavily shielded enemies like the Elite ERep soldiers in OP or Dark Matter or Raiders. Electric Empousa MK2 is very good.

Also taking into account the 150% multiplier of electric to shields. Now OP probably won't get an Empousa for awhile, an electric AR or SMG will do quite well.

pew pew pew
10-24-2015, 09:23 PM
They aren't very good.No clue what type of weapons you got your hands on but my purple rifles are at 1360x3 while the Empousa is at 1810x3. Taking into account 5% damage boost for upgrading purple to oj it is 1428x3 vs 1810x3, quite a difference to regular oj weapons. So yes, Empousa is very good.

@OP
I don't get it. Why are you saying the weapons from the event are bad? I know that a lot of people say into the chat that the event weapons are bad. The ones I see saying that are very often 6k players with tons of other loot. They are most likely cosseted because they already have so much. I do think that's also the reason why so many players are mocking about drops... but that's another story.

The current event weapons are really great especially for low/mid ego players. Lets take a look at the synergy...

[1] +6.66% ammo regeneration - helps a lot to not run out of ammo to quickly/often
[2] +13% clip size - not so great but you can take it as another white roll on your weapon
[3] spawning exploding pumpkin - great for all nanos but fire, set enemies on fire every 30s, deal 50% extra dmg on burning enemies
[4] +10% life and shield steal - helps a lot to survive, especially effective on low/mid ego toons

So, you should really take the advises from the experienced players. However, at the end you are not going to keep the weapon with your low ego due to the huge amount of arkforge you will have to invest to keep the weapon at your ego.

PTR47
10-24-2015, 09:58 PM
However, at the end you are not going to keep the weapon with your low ego due to the huge amount of arkforge you will have to invest to keep the weapon at your ego.

Exactly. I'd be in there every day for the daily at least. And minors to mod them. The scores in the majors are also great... there's levelling to be had.

But don't worry about legendaries/named at low level. Grab some nice epics, mod them up and go. Treat all early guns as disposable.

WhiteStrike
10-25-2015, 05:54 AM
No clue what type of weapons you got your hands on but my purple rifles are at 1360x3 while the Empousa is at 1810x3. Taking into account 5% damage boost for upgrading purple to oj it is 1428x3 vs 1810x3, quite a difference to regular oj weapons. So yes, Empousa is very good.

@OP
I don't get it. Why are you saying the weapons from the event are bad? I know that a lot of people say into the chat that the event weapons are bad. The ones I see saying that are very often 6k players with tons of other loot. They are most likely cosseted because they already have so much. I do think that's also the reason why so many players are mocking about drops... but that's another story.

The current event weapons are really great especially for low/mid ego players. Lets take a look at the synergy...

[1] +6.66% ammo regeneration - helps a lot to not run out of ammo to quickly/often
[2] +13% clip size - not so great but you can take it as another white roll on your weapon
[3] spawning exploding pumpkin - great for all nanos but fire, set enemies on fire every 30s, deal 50% extra dmg on burning enemies
[4] +10% life and shield steal - helps a lot to survive, especially effective on low/mid ego toons

So, you should really take the advises from the experienced players. However, at the end you are not going to keep the weapon with your low ego due to the huge amount of arkforge you will have to invest to keep the weapon at your ego.
If calculate the Sustained DPS and account for the huge spread you'll see how terrible it is.

hempman
10-25-2015, 07:55 AM
If calculate the Sustained DPS and account for the huge spread you'll see how terrible it is.

if you take two identical weapons,example,the Empousa,
and you then put the best recoil on both and then put a tactical scope on one of them and a stab sight on the other,you might find something startling.

Sevrin
10-25-2015, 08:47 AM
They aren't very good.

I believe the Empousa MK2 is one of the most under-rated weapons in the game that everyone has access to w/o having to depend on rng or spending huge bucks to acquire. i use two Supreme Empousas: an electrical and a fire converted (both fully t5 modded except, of course, for the fire conversion mag). They both rank in the top ten weapons I have on my DPS spread sheet and with reload mastery they both are in the top 10 in sustained DPS. The electrical can be a huge asset in expos. And, for this event, where the enemies have no shields, the fire Empousa just flat rocks (there might be some better fire blast rifles around, but I haven't seen one). I am actually considering getting another and making it rad since I don't have the pleasure of owning a Piper MK2 (sort of a poor man's Piper lol). The downsides to the Empousa are that -- not counting trading for the mods -- it takes 6 weeks of daily play to get one fully modded and you have to be 5K ego to use :(

Fallen_Aingeal
10-25-2015, 11:05 AM
I believe the Empousa MK2 is one of the most under-rated weapons in the game that everyone has access to w/o having to depend on rng or spending huge bucks to acquire. i use two Supreme Empousas: an electrical and a fire converted (both fully t5 modded except, of course, for the fire conversion mag). They both rank in the top ten weapons I have on my DPS spread sheet and with reload mastery they both are in the top 10 in sustained DPS. The electrical can be a huge asset in expos. And, for this event, where the enemies have no shields, the fire Empousa just flat rocks (there might be some better fire blast rifles around, but I haven't seen one). I am actually considering getting another and making it rad since I don't have the pleasure of owning a Piper MK2 (sort of a poor man's Piper lol). The downsides to the Empousa are that -- not counting trading for the mods -- it takes 6 weeks of daily play to get one fully modded and you have to be 5K ego to use :(
6 AF will lower it. Anyone can use them.

Ray8888
10-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Actually the best thing you can do right now is max your skill level to 20. All guns suck at lvl 10.

Sevrin
10-25-2015, 01:40 PM
6 AF will lower it. Anyone can use them.

Mine must be glitched then cause I can't trade em. Figures. :)

Claydough
10-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Mine must be glitched then cause I can't trade em. Figures. :)

They are untradable, and you dont need to be 5k to buy them.

However you would be stupid to do so.

Fallen_Aingeal
10-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I coulda sworn someone in the clan got one and lowered it. I may be mistaken.

I did know they weren't tradeable.

Atticus Batman
10-25-2015, 06:37 PM
I coulda sworn someone in the clan got one and lowered it. I may be mistaken.

I did know they weren't tradeable.

You can buy them and lower their EGO if you have the DLC. However as you said they are untradeable. I think Claydough meant a person would be stupid to buy one and lower it's EGO as they are legendaries and it would cost a fortune to slowly re-level it, and I would agree with that. I suppose, the exception would be for those who run Expert Co-ops and do Chimera dailies all the time and therefor always have enough rep and cores to just replace the gun every couple hundred EGO.

Fallen_Aingeal
10-25-2015, 11:50 PM
You can buy them and lower their EGO if you have the DLC. However as you said they are untradeable. I think Claydough meant a person would be stupid to buy one and lower it's EGO as they are legendaries and it would cost a fortune to slowly re-level it, and I would agree with that. I suppose, the exception would be for those who run Expert Co-ops and do Chimera dailies all the time and therefor always have enough rep and cores to just replace the gun every couple hundred EGO.
^This^

One of my clan mates runs experts all the time.

Claydough
10-25-2015, 11:54 PM
well it takes 2 weeks to afford a new weapon...

why not just level up? 3 weeks is all you need to get 5k, and 2 weeks if you're crazy enough

ARB82
10-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Second that, I survive solely due to my veritable feast of Mazu Blast Rifles. Ironic really, I detest VOT Blast Rifles.

ARB82
10-26-2015, 05:24 PM
keep doing the Bigger Events.
i too noticed the one drop i got out of a minor of a purple rad ar had worse stats than the majors.
example,it has .30 bloom,so even with a t5 recoil its never going to be worth building.
not all guns are created Equal and your Rolls matter.
i have some of the new oj ars with .02 bloom and a 100 in the mag with nanos,and they rip.

check out the Saws on this event as well,
ive noticed those have Low bloom Right from the start Before you even mod it up.
the lower the bloom,the steadier the gun is...

Confusing bloom with recoil. Recoil is the the steadyness of the gun as the ammo leaves the barrel, bloom is the size of the spray

If you shoot a piece of paper with high bloom the bullets will be scattered around the sheet

With low or no bloom it'll be a hole with very few holes round it